- - - - -

Best Buy Ad 1/13-1/19

#91 mike568   CAG in Training CAGiversary!   388 Posts   Joined 6.3 Years Ago  

Posted 17 January 2019 - 05:50 PM

So if my GCU expires next month.. can you still pre-order something now for something in april and still keep the discount on it?
Been looking for the past few weeks and theres really nothing coming out till april i want.

yes must purchase online for either shipping or in store pickup. Make sure your credit card won’t get compromised since any edit to your payment method will result in the price jumping. You can pay with PayPal and pay Best Buy now or buy a Best Buy gift card.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

#92 keyblader1985   Wait, what? CAGiversary!   3048 Posts   Joined 5.9 Years Ago  

keyblader1985

Posted 18 January 2019 - 04:30 AM

Anybody else still a little bit concerned that BB might cut off GCU memberships at some unknown point in the near future? My membership is good for another year, but I somehow doubt it will actually last that long.

#93 BlurredReality   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   179 Posts   Joined 7.0 Years Ago  

BlurredReality

Posted 18 January 2019 - 04:58 AM

Anybody else still a little bit concerned that BB might cut off GCU memberships at some unknown point in the near future? My membership is good for another year, but I somehow doubt it will actually last that long.

No reason behind it but my hunch is at the one year mark from when they stopped offering GCU the rest of ours will terminated. I can't see them letting people continue to get 20% off for years.

#94 Sigma   King of Strong Style CAGiversary!   3919 Posts   Joined 14.6 Years Ago  

Posted 18 January 2019 - 01:37 PM

No reason behind it but my hunch is at the one year mark from when they stopped offering GCU the rest of ours will terminated. I can't see them letting people continue to get 20% off for years.

I don't think it'll get cut off anytime soon, but I agree that they will eventually cut people off. There are a ton of people (most of them probably on this forum) that have several years left of GCU and I can't imagine Best Buy letting them continue to get the discount. I'd imagine they give those people some certs or something to compensate them for the time they paid for though. 

I hope they bring GCU back in some form though. I doubt they will bring back the 20% off new games as it is currently but I'd be happy to get additional reward points and access to exclusive member deals or something. I like shopping at Best Buy, but I am not going to buy new games there very often if I can just go to Target or Gamestop by my house and pick the game up for the same price. Hopefully, Best Buy gives me a reason to frequent the store again. 

#95 Mafoofoo   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   356 Posts   Joined 10.7 Years Ago  

Posted 18 January 2019 - 06:01 PM

I have this weird feeling they’re gonna add some gcu type discount of like 10-15% video games if you have total tech support or something

#96 Jodou   Infamous CAGiversary!   13921 Posts   Joined 10.1 Years Ago  

Posted 18 January 2019 - 06:10 PM

They're not going to cut it off. They've committed to ending the program and letting people ride out their subs, whenever that is. For people with the foresight to buy multiple years, they're not going to renege on that because it's for sure less than a fraction of a percent of their business. Going back on your word as a business, publicly, is not something they'd do over this.

#97 BlurredReality   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   179 Posts   Joined 7.0 Years Ago  

BlurredReality

Posted 18 January 2019 - 07:12 PM

They're not going to cut it off. They've committed to ending the program and letting people ride out their subs, whenever that is. For people with the foresight to buy multiple years, they're not going to renege on that because it's for sure less than a fraction of a percent of their business. Going back on your word as a business, publicly, is not something they'd do over this.

It's also something that would impact perhaps a few thousand people at this point, not something that would require much of a public announcement nor would many people care (outside those impacted) we will see, I just don't think 2 years down the road those are still going to be valid.

I'm sure they have already looked at remaining time on GCU accounts, what the annual spend is on non video game purchases, and done the math on how much revenue they would be losing. My hunch is the vast majority of people with GCU only buy games, and that it would be a net profit overall for BB if they lost those customers.

#98 ck0  

Posted 18 January 2019 - 09:08 PM

Best Buy abruptly closed enrollment of GCU without any sort of official announcement. That tells you their feelings on the matter, and how much they "value" that program. I don't see it coming back.

#99 dragonx   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   31 Posts   Joined 14.2 Years Ago  

Posted 18 January 2019 - 11:33 PM

Grand Kingdom on clearance at Best Buy for $17.99.

#100 Rick Astley  

Rick Astley

Posted 19 January 2019 - 09:44 AM

It just sucks that I decided not to renew right away once it was announced that bestbuy was gonna end the gcu renewal

#101 mike568   CAG in Training CAGiversary!   388 Posts   Joined 6.3 Years Ago  

Posted 19 January 2019 - 03:32 PM

It just sucks that I decided not to renew right away once it was announced that bestbuy was gonna end the gcu renewal

Best Buy stopped renewals and signups before sending a message to stores.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

#102 Jodou   Infamous CAGiversary!   13921 Posts   Joined 10.1 Years Ago  

Posted 19 January 2019 - 09:36 PM

Best Buy abruptly closed enrollment of GCU without any sort of official announcement. That tells you their feelings on the matter, and how much they "value" that program. I don't see it coming back.

They had to or else everyone would have rushed to renew before the cutoff. I don't think that's a tell on their thoughts of the program, it was just executive decision.

#103 ck0  

Posted 20 January 2019 - 02:16 AM

They had to or else everyone would have rushed to renew before the cutoff. I don't think that's a tell on their thoughts of the program, it was just executive decision.

It's tell enough that they killed the program.  As far as I know, Best Buy made no statement on the ending of the program after that decision was made.  Unlike Gamestop, which cancelled the Elite Pro tier, then they let everyone know of the changes.  

Best Buy let it quietly die out.  If it was such a valued program of theirs, they'd make some sort of statement on it's ending.  It's no surprise though, since they probably weren't even making any money after all is said and done.  They just gained the sales marketshare, which they will now lose to other retailers.

#104 bonesawisready   YES! YES! YES! CAGiversary!   1613 Posts   Joined 7.3 Years Ago  

bonesawisready

Posted 20 January 2019 - 07:38 PM

Yeah got my expiration coupon. GCU expires less than week from now. Idk if I should use the 45% off on New Super Mario or Civ 6 on Switch

I want Civ more and beat NSMBU 7 years ago but I wouldn’t mind replaying it

Nintendo games don’t go on sale often so that makes me think Mario and $33 before tax would be great but $26 before tax for Civ would also be good. Then again, Civ has been on sale, is on sale and will be put on sale more often than Mario. Then again, it’s 100% new to me

Probably will get Civ

#105 ritchardf  

Posted 20 January 2019 - 08:08 PM

Yeah got my expiration coupon. GCU expires less than week from now. Idk if I should use the 45% off on New Super Mario or Civ 6 on Switch

I want Civ more and beat NSMBU 7 years ago but I wouldn’t mind replaying it

Nintendo games don’t go on sale often so that makes me think Mario and $33 before tax would be great but $26 before tax for Civ would also be good. Then again, Civ has been on sale, is on sale and will be put on sale more often than Mario. Then again, it’s 100% new to me

Probably will get Civ

coupon only good on 1 item?

#106 bonesawisready   YES! YES! YES! CAGiversary!   1613 Posts   Joined 7.3 Years Ago  

bonesawisready

Posted 20 January 2019 - 10:17 PM

coupon only good on 1 item?

it says one physical game so yes

#107 eulogywerd21   Jesus wept CAGiversary!   3352 Posts   Joined 9.7 Years Ago  

eulogywerd21

Posted 21 January 2019 - 12:37 AM

After much point hoarding, the still active 20% off discount and my 25% off "GCU is ending" email coupon, I snagged a preorder of Death Stranding for $5 and change.

Could've just been the change if I'd waited another 2 days for some more points to clear, but I was worried the discount would end early, like others have reported, even though it didn't. Was really hoping I could've gotten The Last of Us P2 or maybe Ghost of Tsushima, but I'm not complaining.

#108 Sielanas  

Posted 21 January 2019 - 01:31 AM

Thread overstayed it's welcome? I have...Qe3EWlfjEmFMc.gif

#109 bonesawisready   YES! YES! YES! CAGiversary!   1613 Posts   Joined 7.3 Years Ago  

bonesawisready

Posted 21 January 2019 - 07:37 AM

Sucks my GCU expiation coupon says it’s already used online. Guess I have to call support?

#110 bonesawisready   YES! YES! YES! CAGiversary!   1613 Posts   Joined 7.3 Years Ago  

bonesawisready

Posted 21 January 2019 - 07:05 PM

So my coupon was expired immediately. Called BB and spent an hour being transferred no one could understand how to fix the problem. They just kept saying it’s not a certificate and that they couldn’t find the 25% expiration coupon.

So anyone have luck fixing it? I’m just going to give up. Is it not valid until your GCu actually expires? Heard it stacked and mine has 3 days left

#111 kaydigi   BK All Day CAGiversary!   1259 Posts   Joined 12.1 Years Ago  

Posted 21 January 2019 - 07:51 PM

So my coupon was expired immediately. Called BB and spent an hour being transferred no one could understand how to fix the problem. They just kept saying it’s not a certificate and that they couldn’t find the 25% expiration coupon.

So anyone have luck fixing it? I’m just going to give up. Is it not valid until your GCu actually expires? Heard it stacked and mine has 3 days left

Post it on the bestbuy forums.

#112 Rick Astley  

Rick Astley

Posted 21 January 2019 - 09:20 PM

I posted about it before on the forums but no reply. Really doubt they’d help but good luck

#113 bonesawisready   YES! YES! YES! CAGiversary!   1613 Posts   Joined 7.3 Years Ago  

bonesawisready

Posted Yesterday, 12:49 AM

Tried calling support, posting on forums. Oh well.