- - - - -

2019 Yard Sale / Flea Market Finds

#31 Yu Narukami  

Yu Narukami

Posted 08 May 2019 - 07:14 AM

Some people buy games to play.

Yes, but from what I've looked at online, The Immortal sucks.

#32 Mike_TV   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   427 Posts   Joined 9.5 Years Ago  

Posted 08 May 2019 - 01:33 PM

I have a weakness of dungeon crawlers, even the bad ones. Plus I've got a little ritual where I try to pick up something at the first sale I go to, and so far this year it seems to be working.

#33 Mike_TV   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   427 Posts   Joined 9.5 Years Ago  

Posted 11 May 2019 - 07:24 PM

Another week, another game score. I swear, people in my area must love Marie Kondo. Everything in the pics below except for the Gamecube/N64 stuff came from a community sale about 20 minutes north of me. PS2 lot was $20, DS/GB lot was $75, Gamecube/N64 lot was $25, and the miscellaneous stuff was $15. I grabbed the 8mm movies for a friend but he doesn't need them, so I'll probably just throw them on eBay to get my $10 back.

sRr9Pzt.jpg

bBGcWBn.jpg

Kv1tI0I.jpg

JASpqMH.jpg

#34 zekana  

Posted 11 May 2019 - 07:47 PM

It's was $8. I thought it was just the Pokemon case but was happy when I opened it
http://imgur.com/681mLpE

#35 kube00   Keeping in Cheap since 2005 CAGiversary!   10745 Posts   Joined 13.0 Years Ago  

Posted 12 May 2019 - 05:51 AM

Went to one sale that advertised games, PSVita, PS3, Pstv, PS1 and DC stuff Thought I would see lots of competition from the local neckbeard community, nada.

I was 30 mins early approached the house 8 mins before it started.

Walked away with a 2nd gen Vita (slim) and a Pstv and a PSOne with 15 games and carrying case (notable games were Soul Blade, Tobal, Castlevania SOTN (Disc only), Saga Frontier, Twisted Metal longbox and some FF games for $125

Left a DC and games for $75, Lunar for PS1 for $70 and a few ps3 games. I was half tempted by the DC cause it had 2x of the clear yellow offical controllers but I had most of the games already.

#36 ArugulaZ   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   1774 Posts   Joined 15.1 Years Ago  

Posted 12 May 2019 - 07:31 AM

I have a weakness of dungeon crawlers, even the bad ones. Plus I've got a little ritual where I try to pick up something at the first sale I go to, and so far this year it seems to be working.

I'm sure the Genesis version is better, but it was ballsy for EA to even attempt an NES version of a fairly advanced game.

#37 mchittumjr  

Posted 12 May 2019 - 01:20 PM

Finally had some luck yesterday. Top picture was $15. It had a Wii Sports case with it so I expected it to be in the console. Plugged the Wii in and out came Super Smash Bros so that was a nice surprise. Bottom picture the top row of games were $1 each and bottom 2 rows were actually free. Also got some case and manual(no disc) only games free main was Mario Kart Wii. That Donkey Kong 64 Soundtrack is on eBay for a lot more than I expected.

20190511_180431.jpg
20190511_181902.jpg

#38 PlunderedGamer  

PlunderedGamer

Posted 14 May 2019 - 04:42 PM

The neckbeard community was in full force this week, but I still managed to score a few good finds.

N64 with the games and Xbox OG controlled pictured below was $12. The woman at that sale told me that she sold a few handheld consoles, but the guy who bought them missed the N64 lot.

The X360 was found at a sale on my way home. At the back of the sale there was a box with a CIB Wii and the 360, but a neckbeard beat me to the Wii. He was already carrying an OG Gameboy carrying case too, so I bet he got a few carts and a console. When I was buying the 360 from the woman she pulled out 2 more Wii games and the instruction manuals for the console that the neckbeard dude left. She sold the games for $1 each.

z97rdL1.jpg

u47M0QN.jpg

#39 PlunderedGamer  

PlunderedGamer

Posted 14 May 2019 - 04:47 PM

Last Week: The sealed Ps1 mem card and a copy of MK Gold (Not pictured) was found at a sale when I asked a guy if he had any games. He told me that he had a few in his house that were still sealed which got me excited. Unfortunately, the only sealed games were sports games and he was asking $20 a pop for them.

Uncharted and the copy of Fester's Quest were found at the same sale. The guy inside admitted that he was a collector and got the cart signed by the AVGN at some convention. This was probably my coolest find this season so far. $1 for UC4 and $5 fot the signed NES cart. He also had some sealed guides and loose discs for $1 each.

BGviDR9.jpg

omaV9CL.jpg

#40 Mike_TV   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   427 Posts   Joined 9.5 Years Ago  

Posted 15 May 2019 - 06:48 PM

Real talk: every time I ride up to a sale and see anyone who vaguely looks like me (30-ish, t-shirt, glasses, slightly chubby-overweight) I just assume that they're also there for games, and I make sure to start snooping around the sale and neighboring ones super fast.

#41 PlunderedGamer  

PlunderedGamer

Posted 15 May 2019 - 09:15 PM

Real talk: every time I ride up to a sale and see anyone who vaguely looks like me (30-ish, t-shirt, glasses, slightly chubby-overweight) I just assume that they're also there for games, and I make sure to start snooping around the sale and neighboring ones super fast.

At the end of the day I'd still rather have the games go to some soyboy who will actually enjoy them, rather than a sleazy reseller.

#42 kube00   Keeping in Cheap since 2005 CAGiversary!   10745 Posts   Joined 13.0 Years Ago  

Posted 15 May 2019 - 09:20 PM

At the end of the day I'd still rather have the games go to some soyboy who will actually enjoy them, rather than a sleazy reseller.

I hear ya. What's worse is when they use the line of it's for my kids....

#43 Mike_TV   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   427 Posts   Joined 9.5 Years Ago  

Posted 15 May 2019 - 10:18 PM

Nothing wrong with soy, it's delicious. But yeah, ultimately I don't mind things going to folks who appreciate them, though in the moment I get really competitive.

#44 Rotondo   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   110 Posts   Joined 10.7 Years Ago  

Posted 15 May 2019 - 10:27 PM

Yard sales have always been a mixed bag for me. A lot of times they'll have way more interesting things than thrift stores.

However the sale I was at last week kind of soured me a bit more on them, went to a yard sale that mentioned video games and consoles right when it opened. Started looking at a giant box of vintage toys. A guy talks to me saying that's the stuff he's buying.

Half of the yard sale was in the box and he bought it. According to the family who was doing the sale they got there an hour before they opened and started asking for stuff.

The family was super nice and was just glad to get rid of all of it though. I don't know if I feel like showing up an hour before a sale opens just to get a chance at something interesting.

I walked away with zero games things, but decent amount of Mighty Max toys/figures for my nephew for next to nothing.

Edit: Just as a note I've always had better luck with the yard sales in weirder areas that aren't marked on an online app.

#45 Mike_TV   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   427 Posts   Joined 9.5 Years Ago  

Posted 15 May 2019 - 11:20 PM

Yard sales have always been a mixed bag for me. A lot of times they'll have way more interesting things than thrift stores.

However the sale I was at last week kind of soured me a bit more on them, went to a yard sale that mentioned video games and consoles right when it opened. Started looking at a giant box of vintage toys. A guy talks to me saying that's the stuff he's buying.

Half of the yard sale was in the box and he bought it. According to the family who was doing the sale they got there an hour before they opened and started asking for stuff.

The family was super nice and was just glad to get rid of all of it though. I don't know if I feel like showing up an hour before a sale opens just to get a chance at something interesting.

I walked away with zero games things, but decent amount of Mighty Max toys/figures for my nephew for next to nothing.

Edit: Just as a note I've always had better luck with the yard sales in weirder areas that aren't marked on an online app.

One thing I've learned is to avoid sales that mention video games/old toys like the plague. There's always the guy that shows up super early and cleans them out. The only exception is if it's near to me, since there's not a lot of investment to get there and my neighborhood is sort of off the beaten path (i.e. the local beltway) for most of the other game hunters. I have much better luck just picking a community sale and going from sale to sale asking for games.

#46 PlunderedGamer  

PlunderedGamer

Posted 16 May 2019 - 12:54 AM

One thing I've learned is to avoid sales that mention video games/old toys like the plague. There's always the guy that shows up super early and cleans them out. The only exception is if it's near to me, since there's not a lot of investment to get there and my neighborhood is sort of off the beaten path (i.e. the local beltway) for most of the other game hunters. I have much better luck just picking a community sale and going from sale to sale asking for games.

This. If a person advertizes games in the listing, chances are that resellers will show up as early as 5 am to knock on the door and harass the family. I've heard plenty of similar stories like this where people just aren't patient enough to wait until people actually get their stuff out. In my area vinyl record/instrument buyers are the most brutal. 

A nice tip; even if you don't find something you want displayed out at a sale, always ask anyways. I've probably gotten 75% of my collection just asking people if they had any games that they wanted to get rid of. I can't stress how important just asking is.

#47 PlunderedGamer  

PlunderedGamer

Posted 16 May 2019 - 05:02 AM

A thing to note; if a sale advertises a time always try to get there 30-45 minutes earlier, chances are they’re already setting up the sale. If they are, you can just ask them for what your looking for and move on without it being all weird. I’m always on the move for sales, but I could never bring myself to knock on someone’s door before they’re setting up

The off map stuff luck happens to me too. Sales that aren’t on my map usually give
Me the best stuff . Also, in my area (usually do a 5 mile radius for sales) I tend to have towns that always bring me better luck than others for whatever reason.

#48 Mike_TV   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   427 Posts   Joined 9.5 Years Ago  

Posted 16 May 2019 - 06:59 PM

A thing to note; if a sale advertises a time always try to get there 30-45 minutes earlier, chances are they’re already setting up the sale. If they are, you can just ask them for what your looking for and move on without it being all weird. I’m always on the move for sales, but I could never bring myself to knock on someone’s door before they’re setting up

One caveat to that is that showing up to community sales early can bit you in the the butt. I feel like half the folks at those don't start setting up until the actual start time, so if you're getting in early you're gonna miss a bunch. This is all kind of hypothetical, but I'm basing it off of the fact that at the last few community sales I've been to, the first sale I hit (that's usually the one with their address listed as the main one) says someone already asked about games, but then when I go through and hit the rest of the houses I find some really good caches.

#49 Rotondo   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   110 Posts   Joined 10.7 Years Ago  

Posted 18 May 2019 - 02:44 AM

The off map stuff luck happens to me too. Sales that aren’t on my map usually give
Me the best stuff . Also, in my area (usually do a 5 mile radius for sales) I tend to have towns that always bring me better luck than others for whatever reason.

Thanks for the advice.

Is there anything in particular you guys look for in yard sale descriptions?

I mainly look for things like toys/electronics that are 80/90's, this usually at least leads to interesting weird things to look at.

#50 PlunderedGamer  

PlunderedGamer

Posted 18 May 2019 - 03:17 AM

Thanks for the advice.

Is there anything in particular you guys look for in yard sale descriptions?

I mainly look for things like toys/electronics that are 80/90's, this usually at least leads to interesting weird things to look at.

Like we've said before, most sales that advertize collectables; toys, records, games, etc. are usually going to be swarmed or already cleaned out. Personally, I always avoid sales that advertize collectables and showcase alot of pictures. These people generally know what their stuff is worth and are most likely trying to sell in person before they move their stuff online. Last year I got  Fuck 'ed out of a great GBC lot with a bunch of boxed games because the guy was trying to test the waters and see if a collector would bite on the spot. 

Also, I always prioritize multi family sales over single sales, even if they advertize with key words that interest me. Almost everytime I do this I'm the first person to arrive. 

I guess rule number one would be to always wake up on time, with rule number two being to always ask.

#51 PlunderedGamer  

PlunderedGamer

Posted 18 May 2019 - 03:25 AM

A few years back, when I was still at the mercy of being driven around by friends or family, I was at a sale where I didn't see any games, but a lone Genesis controller lying on the driveway. I asked one of the kids if they had any games to sell and he replied no, so I asked the adults. The wife actually ended up taking two tubs loaded with boxed N64, NES, SNES, Genesis, and N64 games. Most were rares too. One of which was a gamed named Stunt Racer which was a Block Buster exclusive and goes for exorbiant amount. This was still probably my best find of all time and it would have never happened if I hadn't asked.

#52 Mike_TV   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   427 Posts   Joined 9.5 Years Ago  

Posted 18 May 2019 - 01:23 PM

Yeah, that's about the best advice I can figure, too. It also helps just to keep a mental record of where other yard salers in your area operate. Like if you're heading out to sales and there's always the same guy there like 15 minutes before you, try a different area. Also a lot of the resellers in my area will have their own yard sales in the early-Spring, mid-Summer, and late-Fall slowdowns in order to move some of the extra stuff they've picked up but that they haven't been able to move yet. These are a good chance to get out, scope the competition, and figure out what areas to avoid. Know your enemy, and all that.

#53 arsenalcrazy8   As Cheap As Wenger. CAGiversary!   2250 Posts   Joined 10.3 Years Ago  

arsenalcrazy8

Posted 18 May 2019 - 04:39 PM

Every year I promise myself I’ll start to go out for yard sales, and every year I don’t do it. (I’m a thrift store guy)

I guess I just don’t know where to start. The stories I hear on here about people showing up at 6 before sales even start and clearing people out.

Do you guys target sales or just drive around randomly in your neighborhood?

#54 Mike_TV   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   427 Posts   Joined 9.5 Years Ago  

Posted 18 May 2019 - 05:41 PM

I usually pick some targets then pull over for yard sales I see along the way. I'd start out by picking some community sales and hitting those. There's usually a bunch of houses set up and you can hit a lot of places without having to drive all over the place. In my area people post them a lot on craigslist.

Another tactic you can use is to keep an eye out on Facebook Marketplace for yard sales. I see a lot of folks starting to post exclusively there, and I don't think the craiglist yard salers have really caught up yet since I've gotten to those yard sales late and have still found plenty of stuff.

#55 PlunderedGamer  

PlunderedGamer

Posted 18 May 2019 - 08:58 PM

I didn't find anything exceptionally special today in terms of games, but I did manage to pick up a few Ps2 games that I've been looking for. My competition today consisted of the same neckbeard from the Xbox encounter last week and a pot head looking kid who I'm certain works at one of the game stores around here.

The top 4 Ps3 games are all sealed and were $2 each. The Ps2 games I picked up at the same sale, also for $2 each. I've been looking for that Evil Dead game for a while now, so that's pretty cool. The Wii games were $5 for all 3, and I paid a buck for reach.

MrsVynX.jpg

Now, as a Star Wars fan, I'm actually a little disappointed with myself this weekend. The first sale I went to this guy pulled out 4 bins filled with sealed figures/sets from the late 90's on. Most of the modern Star Wars figures aren't worth too much aside from certain toy lines.  A lot of the sets the guy pulIed out were from the Power of the Force line (ugly green boxes). I'm certain I did see a few things worth money, but I ended up passing on them. I did buy the two figures here and a lego set that I know are worth something. If anyone collects Star Wars stuff I highly recommend this database..

The Eagles Monopoly was $2, the plush Alien is from an extinct Disney World ride, and the Bob Ross painting set might be the greatest thing I've ever found at sales.

fuhw8ZZ.jpg

#56 PlunderedGamer  

PlunderedGamer

Posted 19 May 2019 - 01:35 AM

I also picked up these 2 framed puzzles for $7 at a sale that advertised games. Also, DS carts of Mario Kart and Super Monkey Ball for $2 each.7B8127D4-90D9-42FF-A88F-CD29EE027BD9.jpeg

Forget to mention; that pot head kid earlier did 60 down the street when he saw me
with the stack of PS2 games. The next sale I caught him walking away with a bag of games.

#57 Yu Narukami  

Yu Narukami

Posted 19 May 2019 - 02:35 AM

I also picked up these 2 framed puzzles for $7 at a sale that advertised games. Also, DS carts of Mario Kart and Super Monkey Ball for $2 each.attachicon.gif7B8127D4-90D9-42FF-A88F-CD29EE027BD9.jpeg

Forget to mention; that pot head kid earlier did 60 down the street when he saw me
with the stack of PS2 games. The next sale I caught him walking away with a bag of games.

In the future: Carry a tire-slashing knife to deal with the competition.

Kidding, mods!

#58 PlunderedGamer  

PlunderedGamer

Posted 19 May 2019 - 03:16 AM

In the future: Carry a tire-slashing knife to deal with the competition.

Kidding, mods!

I was thinking of something more like this: https://www.youtube....h?v=w4LTraBoXmg

#59 Vadid Nanko  

Vadid Nanko

Posted 21 May 2019 - 04:30 PM

I met a woman, who was helping a friend or relative out at their yard sale, that informed me she had some old video game stuff at her place and I left her my number. A couple weeks later she called back and told me she had some PlayStation games. Nothing great and I only intended to spend $11 dollars but, while speaking to her and her boyfriend at their house, he remembered he had some Nintendo stuff. It turned out to be an N64 lot. The games have wear, were dirty and sticky (some had stains that had damaged either the front label or back sticker), as were a couple or so controllers, and the system itself, and the yellow controller I thought was the elusive DK64 controller but was just a yellow controller, still, $91. Pretty happy with that.

VHO4N5P.jpg

#60 Mike_TV   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   427 Posts   Joined 9.5 Years Ago  

Posted 21 May 2019 - 06:07 PM

I had to work last weekend so couldn't get out myself, but I asked a buddy of mine to check out a sale around the corner from him that had some Sega games lurking in the pictures. He grabbed this for $20 for me. Not as big a haul as I've been used to lately, but not bad for not going out myself.

BbQvCzj.jpg