* * * * * 1 votes

PSN Flash Sale ends 1/21 @ 11 AM ET/8 AM PT

#31 Onyxmeth   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   422 Posts   Joined 9.9 Years Ago  

Onyxmeth

Posted 18 January 2019 - 06:06 PM

Awesome - where did you find out about this (Firewall - free this weekend)? I ask b/c I don't see mention of this in the PS Store and would be good for me not to miss trials like this in the future.

Also, I'm not sure why anyone would want physical copies of PSVR games? It is much easier to navigate games through the headset, rather than take off the headset, switch discs, and re-adjust the headset.

I typically just bird box my way around the room until I find what I’m looking for.

#32 The Questyen   Guess I'll just stumble on home to my cats CAGiversary!   2553 Posts   Joined 13.1 Years Ago  

The Questyen

Posted 18 January 2019 - 06:22 PM

Has anyone played Skylar & Plux? I probably won't get it now, but it seems like it could be fun.

It's a solid 3d platformer. If you like Ratchet and Clank it's worth a playthrough especially for the price.

#33 Thebacklash   Now Drinking: Minor Case Rye Whiskey - Sherry Cask Finished CAGiversary!   2615 Posts   Joined 4.6 Years Ago  

Thebacklash

Posted 18 January 2019 - 07:41 PM

I swear that Frisky posted about the firewall free weekend.. I know I read it here on CAG.

ok.. been searching to find how I found the free weekend, and I still can't find where/who mentioned it. Or how the Hell I found out about it. Just glad I remembered it and posted it for others I guess.

#34 Sigma   King of Strong Style CAGiversary!   4157 Posts   Joined 15.1 Years Ago  

Posted 18 January 2019 - 08:44 PM

It was $9.99 at gamestop for a while during December.

Are you sure? It was $19.99 on BF at GS, pretty mad if I missed that

It was a pricing error. They had it on sale for $19.99, but you could have gotten lucky and picked it up before they realized the mistake. I was all in for $9.99, but they wouldn't give it to me for that price, unfortunately. I'll buy it next time it's $20 or less for the physical. It's hard for me to get a ton of time in with my PSVR right now anyway. 

#35 josekortez   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   6834 Posts   Joined 15.6 Years Ago  

Posted 18 January 2019 - 11:01 PM

Damn.  Sales like this are why I can't stick to my monthly gaming budget.

#36 GamerSavage   The Throwback Kid CAGiversary!   1108 Posts   Joined 7.0 Years Ago  

GamerSavage

Posted 18 January 2019 - 11:39 PM

Damn.  Sales like this are why I can't stick to my monthly gaming budget.

No joke, I've literally lost track of how much I've spent on games this month. Thinking about getting some of the lower priced LEGO games.

#37 Adam Quest  

Adam Quest

Posted 19 January 2019 - 12:07 AM

Is the load time on Firewall Zero Hour normally very long on the non-trial version or is there an intentional delay on the loading of this trial so you have to stare at the "This is a free trial" message for what feels like forever? The game is ok so far, but the load times are close to unbearable.

#38 FriskyTanuki   I have a piano CAGiversary!   68894 Posts   Joined 15.9 Years Ago  

FriskyTanuki

Posted 19 January 2019 - 12:15 AM

Has anyone played Skylar & Plux? I probably won't get it now, but it seems like it could be fun.

It's a solid platformer, as has been said. It reminded me a lot of the original Jak & Daxter. I made a video on it a while back:

#39 josekortez   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   6834 Posts   Joined 15.6 Years Ago  

Posted 19 January 2019 - 09:50 AM

I'm playing Skylar & Plux as we speak on my Xbox One (sacrilege, I know, but it was already in my library), and Frisky is absolutely right.  It's a Jak & Daxter clone, but it's a good one made by an independent development team.  However, the game isn't one huge open world, and it is broken up into different areas by loading screens.  But, you can tell that a lot of detail and time was put into creating the environments.  It's also a very colorful game which is nice considering most games these days are kind of drab.  At the same time, I remember why I stopped playing these types of collect-a-thon platformers.  My OCD is going to get the better of me.

And, I think the game's proper name is Skylar & Plux in Adventure On Clover Island.  So, I don't know whether to call it Skylar & Plux or Adventure On Clover Island.  :-k

#40 nietzsche74   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1657 Posts   Joined 14.4 Years Ago  

nietzsche74

Posted 19 January 2019 - 04:01 PM

Is $17.99 for both Lego Marvel 1&2 some kind of pricing error?

#41 Razzel   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   626 Posts   Joined 10.4 Years Ago  

Posted 19 January 2019 - 04:33 PM

I don’t see that

Edit: duh, nvm I see it

#42 camperinabush   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   957 Posts   Joined 6.2 Years Ago  

camperinabush

Posted 19 January 2019 - 04:42 PM

No these are the same prices that were posted during the holiday sale.

#43 josekortez   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   6834 Posts   Joined 15.6 Years Ago  

Posted 19 January 2019 - 04:45 PM

If anyone is on the fence about buying Cat Quest for PS4, there is a free demo so you can try before you buy:

https://store.playst...000000000000001

I have limited funds, so I wanted to make sure that I liked it first.  I had considered buying the Android version a few months back, but I changed my mind when I found out the Android version lacked controller support.

#44 nitrosmob   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   9386 Posts   Joined 13.0 Years Ago  

Posted 19 January 2019 - 04:56 PM

I think I've reached my limit in these sales. I just don't have stuff I want to buy that much anymore, unless they put out some different PS1 classic sales, or DLC for games that are a bit bit more niche. I may consider Bully, but I may see if the PC version I have works decently enough. Been playing The Warriors actually, which is still pretty fun, though the fights are a bit chaotic and don't control as well.

#45 josekortez   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   6834 Posts   Joined 15.6 Years Ago  

Posted 19 January 2019 - 05:06 PM

I think I've reached my limit in these sales. I just don't have stuff I want to buy that much anymore, unless they put out some different PS1 classic sales, or DLC for games that are a bit bit more niche. I may consider Bully, but I may see if the PC version I have works decently enough. Been playing The Warriors actually, which is still pretty fun, though the fights are a bit chaotic and don't control as well.

I'm not saying that it isn't a good sale, but it would be nice if they didn't put the same games on sale every month or every other month.  I already own a good number of these.  Meanwhile, I have a wishlist of 48 games that haven't been on sale in months or years.  That said, I'm thankful for cheap indies whenever I can get them on sale.  As a working adult, I don't have the time to invest in most of the AAA 80-hour epics that come out these days.

#46 MrSmiley1   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   184 Posts   Joined 9.2 Years Ago  

Posted 19 January 2019 - 05:24 PM

I've got WAY more mileage out of Slime Rancher than I thought I would. My kids love it and fight over who gets to play it and it's pretty fun. It's huge too. We are still uncovering things.

It's sort of a my first fps with a little harvest moon mixed it.

#47 nietzsche74   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1657 Posts   Joined 14.4 Years Ago  

nietzsche74

Posted 19 January 2019 - 05:25 PM

Can’t remember if Y’s origin was the bad one.

Ys VIII is on sale on PSN uk for £15.99.

https://store.playst...SVIIIGAME000000

#48 nitrosmob   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   9386 Posts   Joined 13.0 Years Ago  

Posted 19 January 2019 - 05:38 PM

I'm pretty sure Y's Origin is a good one. I've heard the Vita version lags though, so PS4 may be the better choice.

#49 josekortez   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   6834 Posts   Joined 15.6 Years Ago  

Posted 20 January 2019 - 02:05 AM

Sticking with my New Year's Resolution, I've actually been trying the games that I bought today.

So far, Table Top Racing: World Tour for $2.99 seems to be the best deal of this sale.  Despite the fact that the A.I. cheats like a bitch during the battle races, I have enjoyed playing the first leg of the championship mode.  It's definitely better than the previous game, and it has plenty of content.  It would probably be even more fun with multiplayer, but I like the single player mode so far.

Ninja Senki DX is only 99 cents, but it's one of those simple platformers that would remind you of an old NES game both in graphics and in precision.  I won't say that it's bad because it isn't, but I'm starting to hate games where you have to hit the button at exactly the right time to make a jump or you miss it.  And I don't think that my reflexes are as good as they were in 1985 anymore.  I'm pretty sure that I hadn't found a gray hair on my balls back then either, but that's neither here nor there.  

Even after playing the demo, I'm still on the fence about Cat Quest.  It's a damn shame that $6.49 seems like a lot to spend on a game that isn't considered a AAA-level game, but that's what I wonder about now before making purchases.  Will I get $6.49 worth of fun out of it?  Still unsure. 

And, I'm considering Let's Fish: Hooked On for Vita, but I can't seem to find a decent review online.  I just want an arcade style fishing game that isn't a snooze-fest.  Is that so wrong?

#50 jupiterjones   WHAT THE CUSS!?! CAGiversary!   1025 Posts   Joined 14.6 Years Ago  

jupiterjones

Posted 20 January 2019 - 03:30 AM

I know they're totally different games, but between the two, which would be a better purchase - Wonder Boy or Y's Origin? Trying to get away from this sale without spending too much, and nothing else on my wishlist is on sale. Thoughts?

#51 Moofboy   CAG in Training CAGiversary!   403 Posts   Joined 6.9 Years Ago  

Posted 20 January 2019 - 03:47 AM

Sticking with my New Year's Resolution, I've actually been trying the games that I bought today.

So far, Table Top Racing: World Tour for $2.99 seems to be the best deal of this sale. Despite the fact that the A.I. cheats like a bitch during the battle races, I have enjoyed playing the first leg of the championship mode. It's definitely better than the previous game, and it has plenty of content. It would probably be even more fun with multiplayer, but I like the single player mode so far.

Ninja Senki DX is only 99 cents, but it's one of those simple platformers that would remind you of an old NES game both in graphics and in precision. I won't say that it's bad because it isn't, but I'm starting to hate games where you have to hit the button at exactly the right time to make a jump or you miss it. And I don't think that my reflexes are as good as they were in 1985 anymore. I'm pretty sure that I hadn't found a gray hair on my balls back then either, but that's neither here nor there.

Even after playing the demo, I'm still on the fence about Cat Quest. It's a damn shame that $6.49 seems like a lot to spend on a game that isn't considered a AAA-level game, but that's what I wonder about now before making purchases. Will I get $6.49 worth of fun out of it? Still unsure.

And, I'm considering Let's Fish: Hooked On for Vita, but I can't seem to find a decent review online. I just want an arcade style fishing game that isn't a snooze-fest. Is that so wrong?

If you find cats puns slightly amusing, buy Cat Quest. I loved it, but I’m a cat person, so... grain of salt...

#52 defpally   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1876 Posts   Joined 9.3 Years Ago  

defpally

Posted 20 January 2019 - 02:51 PM

I know they're totally different games, but between the two, which would be a better purchase - Wonder Boy or Y's Origin? Trying to get away from this sale without spending too much, and nothing else on my wishlist is on sale. Thoughts?

Wonder Boy is good, but it is the exact game it was before with better artwork (much, much better) - and that's because you can switch between old and new graphics on the fly (like R-Type Dimensions).  What that means is it has the old somewhat loose control and old simple boss patterns, don't expect new stuff.

The new one isn't on sale (Monster Boy), but it is really great and has the fantastic artwork, tight controls with a whole new (modern) game underneath since it does not have the old school game to present.

#53 jupiterjones   WHAT THE CUSS!?! CAGiversary!   1025 Posts   Joined 14.6 Years Ago  

jupiterjones

Posted 20 January 2019 - 03:34 PM

Wonder Boy is good, but it is the exact game it was before with better artwork (much, much better) - and that's because you can switch between old and new graphics on the fly (like R-Type Dimensions). What that means is it has the old somewhat loose control and old simple boss patterns, don't expect new stuff.

The new one isn't on sale (Monster Boy), but it is really great and has the fantastic artwork, tight controls with a whole new (modern) game underneath since it does not have the old school game to present.

Yeah, Wonder Boy sounds good, but I’m guessing it’s a few hours at max? Might have to wait for a lower price (but it’s been stuck at $20 for so long it probably won’t happen).

#54 josekortez   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   6834 Posts   Joined 15.6 Years Ago  

Posted 21 January 2019 - 01:06 AM

I think I'm done with this flash sale.  Here's my final haul.

Cat Quest

DeadCore

Ninja Senki DX

Party Hard

Tabletop Racing: World Tour

Timber Tennis: Versus

Party Hard had been on my wish list for quite some time although I had heard that it was relatively difficult.  And I bought DeadCore and Timber Tennis on a lark.  I love getting smaller games for cheap.

#55 defpally   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1876 Posts   Joined 9.3 Years Ago  

defpally

Posted 21 January 2019 - 03:43 AM

Yeah, Wonder Boy sounds good, but I’m guessing it’s a few hours at max? Might have to wait for a lower price (but it’s been stuck at $20 for so long it probably won’t happen).

It is literally Wonder Boy 3 with no additional content beyond upgraded music and artwork.  You can swap back and forth from the original game with the press of a button while you play.  I'd put it a little north of a few hours, only because it has some of that old school difficulty and lack of hints at where to go if you do not know, if you are an old pro at the Sega Master System game then possibly accurate.

Mind you, this all is not an insult, the old game was great for the time and the new art is fantastic.  But it is what it is.  If you want more recent style gameplay & features, Monster Boy (their all new game based on this series) will scratch that itch.

#56 NFLGameDay97   Surveying the Field CAG Veteran   118 Posts   Joined 0.6 Years Ago  

NFLGameDay97

Posted 21 January 2019 - 03:54 AM

Picked up Windjammers and Ninja Senki Dx

#57 nitrosmob   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   9386 Posts   Joined 13.0 Years Ago  

Posted 21 January 2019 - 04:20 AM

You missed the really good Windjammer price at $1.49 around August of last year. Looks like a fun game at least...and sequel is coming sometime.

#58 NFLGameDay97   Surveying the Field CAG Veteran   118 Posts   Joined 0.6 Years Ago  

NFLGameDay97

Posted 21 January 2019 - 06:23 AM

You missed the really good Windjammer price at $1.49 around August of last year. Looks like a fun game at least...and sequel is coming sometime.

Oh yeah I saw, didn’t have PS4 at that time.

#59 Faithful   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   659 Posts   Joined 11.1 Years Ago  

Faithful

Posted 21 January 2019 - 06:48 AM

Well pulled the trigger on all the cheap Lego games that I didn't own.  Used my 20% coupon I had from my ps4 pro purchase and came to $65. Since I already had Harry Potter and will be trading that for $15, ending up costing $50 net for 11 Lego games.    Crazy good deal!

#60 lilman   Only the ordinary. CAGiversary!   4189 Posts   Joined 9.6 Years Ago  

Posted 21 January 2019 - 02:10 PM

Picked up :ps4: Lego Harry Potter Collection for $6. Really good price and something my little relatives can play when they visit.