* * * - - 2 votes

PSA: Original Wii Store Closing January 30th. Unused Wii Points Will Be Forfeited. (I know, not a deal)

#1 jdawgg76   RIP Stan the Man CAGiversary!   4890 Posts   Joined 12.1 Years Ago  

Posted 20 January 2019 - 03:40 AM

As the title suggests, the Wii Store on the original Wii is shutting down "on January 30th" and any points you have will not transfer or be refunded.  So use them up quick.  You cannot buy more Wii points as that has already been disabled.  Also, you should make sure you have everything downloaded as the ability to redownload items will also be removed "at some point".  This includes the Wii U transfer app.  

I know, it's not a deal, but I'm thankful a friend reminded me of this issue as I had 7200 Wii points left in my account from Blockbuster clearances.  Yeah, I neglect my Wii.  I said it.  Anyway, if this helps one person it's worth the likely chastising I get for posting a non-deal.  Let the roasting begin in 3, 2, 1...

#2 Super Strider TurbulenceEX   Son of the Old Gods CAG Veteran   346 Posts   Joined 0.8 Years Ago  

Super Strider TurbulenceEX

Posted 20 January 2019 - 04:01 AM

Good riddance.

I'll be hoisting my black flag and donning an eye patch next time I want to play any Wii exclusive.

#3 Vinny   Bang, bang... pew... CAGiversary!   22559 Posts   Joined 14.6 Years Ago  

Posted 20 January 2019 - 04:01 AM

Thanks for the PSA, I too have some points unused so I gotta dig out my Wii and use them... assuming I have time to. 

Also think it's bullshit that there'll be no way to re-download games. I avoided doing the Wii to Wii U transfer back in the day because it didn't seem like a great idea (since I liked having my Wii around since it could play GC games) but maybe I should do that now... 

#4 KrAzY3   The 3 is silent. CAGiversary!   615 Posts   Joined 14.2 Years Ago  

Posted 20 January 2019 - 04:37 AM

This is why you don't buy digital...

You can spend all you want, get all the stuff you want, feel really good about your digital collection... and eventually they'll no longer be downloadable. Meanwhile, I have records from before I was born that will play just fine in any record player.

#5 Super Strider TurbulenceEX   Son of the Old Gods CAG Veteran   346 Posts   Joined 0.8 Years Ago  

Super Strider TurbulenceEX

Posted 20 January 2019 - 04:49 AM

That analogy doesn't work. You already downloaded the games, they will play just fine. You just can no longer download the games you deleted, just as you can't purchase a record at most stores if it was lost/damaged/stolen.

The Wii store is a piece of shit and I have tons of problems with it, but it's also been up for over a decade at this point. At some point, your ability to download purchased games was going to end.

#6 dean1017   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   3 Posts   Joined 9.1 Years Ago  

Posted 20 January 2019 - 05:34 AM

Thanks for the post. Wouldn't have gotten this information otherwise

#7 Freeze Time  

Freeze Time

Posted 20 January 2019 - 05:51 AM

I wanted to download both LostWinds games but it says there are no titles by that name. Did they delete LostWinds from the Wii shop channel?  I am searching under WiiWare and even tried Virtual Console. Damn. Didn't know they would delete games.

#8 dnl2ba   Inadvertent collector CAGiversary!   447 Posts   Joined 4.8 Years Ago  

Posted 20 January 2019 - 06:12 AM

You can spend all you want, get all the stuff you want, feel really good about your digital collection... and eventually they'll no longer be downloadable. Meanwhile, I have records from before I was born that will play just fine in any record player.

True for the Wii. But modern games rely so heavily on patches and DLC that discs just come up short now. In 20 years, the best way to play today's popular games will probably be to subscribe to a streaming service and use them on up-to-date hardware. And for today's niche games... well, guess we'll have to resort to our unpatched discs on original hardware.

Don't get me wrong. I have a huge modern physical game collection for the reasons you named. But I think this is the last generation where I focus on physical games.

#9 awp   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   8840 Posts   Joined 15.2 Years Ago  

Posted 20 January 2019 - 06:39 AM

I was so pissed. My son took my old Wii that I hadn’t used in a while and modded it but in the process wiped everything on it. Didn’t know about it until I got a cheap used Wii U last year to play Breath of the Wild and some Mario goodness.

Wanted to transfer stuff from the Wii and all gone. Couldn’t get into my account. Researched it and no way to recover it.

#10 bappt   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   741 Posts   Joined 13.7 Years Ago  

Posted 20 January 2019 - 06:47 AM

If you have a Wii or Wii U it would probably be a good idea to log in to the shop and download the Legend of Zelda Skyward Sword Save Data Update Channel 

#11 Freeze Time  

Freeze Time

Posted 20 January 2019 - 06:58 AM

Well I have 3300 points and was going to get both LostWinds games but now that they are gone, I guess I will get Excitebike World Rally for now. I will still have 2300 points to spend though. Maybe then get And yet it moves and You me and the cubes?  Maybe go for Sin and Punishment even though I hear it's really short? Damn Nintendo for removing both LostWind games without telling anyone.  I really wanted to play both of them.

#12 adam81  

Posted 20 January 2019 - 07:03 AM

I wanted to download both LostWinds games but it says there are no titles by that name. Did they delete LostWinds from the Wii shop channel?  I am searching under WiiWare and even tried Virtual Console. Damn. Didn't know they would delete games.

You can get them on Steam. I bought both for $2.69 a couple of days ago. 

#13 Freeze Time  

Freeze Time

Posted 20 January 2019 - 07:06 AM

You can get them on Steam. I bought both for $2.69 a couple of days ago. 

Not the same as using a Wiimote but thanks for letting me know.

#14 ZabaZu  

Posted 20 January 2019 - 07:46 AM

Man, the Wii...I have so much nostalgia for the menus, system noises, and music...and then I'm like "oh yeah I have to use a wiimote to play the games"

#15 Colddecembersnow   CAG in Training CAGiversary!   586 Posts   Joined 6.2 Years Ago  

Colddecembersnow

Posted 20 January 2019 - 09:02 AM

I think this is why the Xbox has been slaying it and will continue to slay it. Even after games have been delisted, if you bought it previously digitally...you still have the ability to download them. It's becoming more important that you have that ability with them releasing the disc-less console. After all the love for BC and Gamepass, I don't see them dropping it in (at least my) lifetime.

#16 Colddecembersnow   CAG in Training CAGiversary!   586 Posts   Joined 6.2 Years Ago  

Colddecembersnow

Posted 20 January 2019 - 09:05 AM

I am sad though that they havent had a massive sale for everything on the shops. A last incentive to keep a Wii [U] plugged into your TV.

#17 jdawgg76   RIP Stan the Man CAGiversary!   4890 Posts   Joined 12.1 Years Ago  

Posted 20 January 2019 - 10:23 AM

I am sad though that they havent had a massive sale for everything on the shops. A last incentive to keep a Wii [U] plugged into your TV.

I don't think there was ever a sale in the Wii store. Main reason I only bought one game with all my wii points.

Well I have 3300 points and was going to get both LostWinds games but now that they are gone, I guess I will get Excitebike World Rally for now. I will still have 2300 points to spend though. Maybe then get And yet it moves and You me and the cubes?  Maybe go for Sin and Punishment even though I hear it's really short? Damn Nintendo for removing both LostWind games without telling anyone.  I really wanted to play both of them.

I'm looking for exclusives first like the rebirths of Contra and Castlevania and also excitebike. I don't have a PSP or ps4 so I'll get rondo of blood as well. Several games have been removed. Several capcom games and some donkey Kong games too, but the DK games may have returned.

#18 redrum666   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   285 Posts   Joined 13.3 Years Ago  

Posted 20 January 2019 - 11:29 AM

Nintendo still has a page for it did you look in wiiware under compony or publisher for frontier

https://www.nintendo...EAlMKzBDNgiCUHf

#19 chrislaustin   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   6945 Posts   Joined 13.2 Years Ago  

chrislaustin

Posted 20 January 2019 - 11:35 AM

That analogy doesn't work. You already downloaded the games, they will play just fine. You just can no longer download the games you deleted, just as you can't purchase a record at most stores if it was lost/damaged/stolen.

The Wii store is a piece of shit and I have tons of problems with it, but it's also been up for over a decade at this point. At some point, your ability to download purchased games was going to end.

Your point is well taken, and well stated, and I agree with it mostly, but.......

The whole point of digital is ease of use, and being able to delete games to save on space, move between devices, etc. Having that taken away at some point, at least to me, defeats the purpose of buying digital in the first place(which is why I mostly avoid it). When you buy a record album, you know if you drop it, scratch it, throw it out, it's gone, so you treat it accordingly. Buying anything digital is the complete opposite of that, as there are tons of ways to use and abuse the digital format, and one of those features is to be able to re-download said items.

So faulting people for wanting to keep a feature that was a selling point of why they bought in for the first place, probably isn't going to fly with most. So, just my 2 cents on the topic.

#20 PoorBamaGamer  

PoorBamaGamer

Posted 20 January 2019 - 01:18 PM

I got my Rondo of Blood last year. I’m at peace.

#21 BadWaluigi=Luigi  

BadWaluigi=Luigi

Posted 20 January 2019 - 03:14 PM

That's Nintendo for you. Their pride nullifies any common sense.

#22 BadWaluigi=Luigi  

BadWaluigi=Luigi

Posted 20 January 2019 - 03:18 PM

So faulting people for wanting to keep a feature that was a selling point of why they bought in for the first place, probably isn't going to fly with most. So, just my 2 cents on the topic.

Exactly. It's like having a car for 10 years which you've maintained and cared for, but now Mazda is coming in and saying "nope can't put gas in it anymore because it's too old sorry."

#23 Freeze Time  

Freeze Time

Posted 20 January 2019 - 06:07 PM

Nintendo still has a page for it did you look in wiiware under compony or publisher for frontier

https://www.nintendo...EAlMKzBDNgiCUHf

Yes. Frontier is not there.

#24 smallsharkbigbite   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   256 Posts   Joined 10.2 Years Ago  

smallsharkbigbite

Posted 20 January 2019 - 06:17 PM

I think this is why the Xbox has been slaying it and will continue to slay it. Even after games have been delisted, if you bought it previously digitally...you still have the ability to download them. 

Yeah, I mean I probably get it at some point.  But then part of me doesn't.  The Wii had the crazy 40 MB game limit for most of (all?) it's life.  So probably 2 GB on a server somewhere would be enough to hold the entire game library.  The problem amplifies with current systems where games are drastically bigger.  

Still not the same.  No matter how well you treat things, sometimes hardware breaks.  I own over 30 systems and I've had two break and one was a Wii (in warranty luckily, actually both were in warranty).  That's the big issue here is if your Wii breaks you are done with that game.  Not even backing up to a PC and buying another Wii will fix it since it was system based and not account based.  A comparable example would be you bought a CD that only works with your car stereo.  Well for whatever reason you either sell that car or the car breaks.  Well now that CD is 100% worthless because it doesn't work in any other CD player and won't work in a new cars CD player if you buy a new one.  Not only is that CD 100% worthless, but you can't buy a replacement anywhere.  Because the manufacturer no longer sells the CD and all used CDs only work with the 1 device they were designed to work with.  So you only have the opportunity to buy a more expensive new car and a new CD if the manufacturer decided to "remaster" a new edition (with a nice premium).  The Wii eshop may have been live more than 12 years, but many people didn't buy a system day 1.  I just wish as consumers we demanded better from companies.  No need for a an infinite life.  But it should be a long period of time (20+ years) and it should be spelled out up front when they can cut your future access.  

#25 R. Kasahara   The Artist Formerly Known as ブルー神羅 CAGiversary!   4259 Posts   Joined 12.9 Years Ago  

Posted 20 January 2019 - 06:17 PM

I have 2000 points left and have been wracking my brain trying to figure out what to buy. Right now I'm thinking:
- You, Me, and the Cubes
- Phantasy Star
- Wonder Boy III: The Dragon's Trap

Anyone have any suggestions for things I might've overlooked, especially on the WiiWare side of things? Here's what I already have: WiiWare, Virtual Console. I'm not the biggest fan of "old school difficulty", especially when it comes to platformers and action games, so that'd be a factor.

If you have a Wii or Wii U it would probably be a good idea to log in to the shop and download the Legend of Zelda Skyward Sword Save Data Update Channel 

Good call. It might also be a good idea to redownload old purchases so you can be sure that your copies are in the best shape possible, and to an SD card that you can back up to your PC later. As noted above, there probably wouldn't be much you could do if your Wii breaks, but replacing an SD card in the future (if necessary) shouldn't be as difficult.

#26 Freeze Time  

Freeze Time

Posted 20 January 2019 - 06:39 PM

I recommend Excitebike World Rally for 1000 points. https://www.metacrit...ike-world-rally

#27 tubtub   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   800 Posts   Joined 15.2 Years Ago  

Posted 20 January 2019 - 09:29 PM

Is there anything I can get with 300 points? I went through and couldnt find anything. I messed up spending points and now have 300 left over. Guess I'll be losing them. Sucks nintendo dodnt put stuff on sale for cases like this

#28 Freeze Time  

Freeze Time

Posted 20 January 2019 - 09:33 PM

Is there anything I can get with 300 points? I went through and couldnt find anything. I messed up spending points and now have 300 left over. Guess I'll be losing them. Sucks nintendo dodnt put stuff on sale for cases like this

I don't think so. Maybe some DLC for games but you'd already have to own the game obviously. I will also be out 300 points if I get the games I actually want to. I'd rather lose out on 3 bucks than getting games I don't want just to make sure I use them all up.

#29 tubtub   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   800 Posts   Joined 15.2 Years Ago  

Posted 20 January 2019 - 09:50 PM

I don't think so. Maybe some DLC for games but you'd already have to own the game obviously. I will also be out 300 points if I get the games I actually want to. I'd rather lose out on 3 bucks than getting games I don't want just to make sure I use them all up.

That's how I felt too. It's only 300 points. I contacted Nintendo and they said basically we will just lose them if we cant spend them. I thought maybe they might convert them as they did that once in the past for me with dsi points to 3ds points.

#30 Kev Cyberpunk   CAG in Training CAGiversary!   423 Posts   Joined 5.9 Years Ago  

Kev Cyberpunk

Posted 20 January 2019 - 10:13 PM

For sure, it's a must if you intend to play the game. I got a new copy of Skyward Sword a couple of years ago, been sitting in my backlog ever since. Even newer copies aren't patched so downloading the update channel is the only way to fix the potential game breaking glitch.