Ultraviolet Movie service shutting down

WeaponX2099

CAGiversary!
Feedback
83 (98%)
ULTRAVIOLET WILL CLOSE ON JULY 31, 2019
What should you do now?

• Login here and choose Retailer Services to verify the retailers linked to your UltraViolet Library. If your Library is not currently linked to a retailer or if you would like to link to additional participating retailers, select one or more retailers to link to your UltraViolet Library.
  • Don’t unlink or close your UltraViolet Library, as UltraViolet and retailers will be working together to maximize your continued access to movies and TV shows.
From the website:

Between January 31 and July 31, 2019:

• You can continue to access your UltraViolet movies and TV shows through the retailer(s) linked to your UltraViolet Library.
  • You can also continue to purchase new movies and TV shows and redeem digital codes by following the redemption instructions. Depending on the retailer, these new purchases and redemptions may or may not be added to your UltraViolet Library.
  • Linking your UltraViolet Library to additional retailers can maximize your access to your Library and help avoid potential disruption.

After the shutdown date:

• Your UltraViolet Library will automatically close and, in the majority of cases, your movies and TV shows will remain accessible at previously-linked retailers.
  • You can continue to make online purchases and redeem codes, but these may only be available through that retailer, and will not be added to your UltraViolet Library.

Thank you for making UltraViolet part of how you enjoy digital entertainment. See Help for more information.
Get codes and redeem ASAP!!

I probably have dozens of these codes I never used because I couldn't care less about digital. Do they ever expire? Since they're shutting down, I guess I should do something with them at least.

I probably have dozens of these codes I never used because I couldn't care less about digital. Do they ever expire? Since they're shutting down, I guess I should do something with them at least.
some do expire but most codes will work

Fox codes past date normally don't work while others do.

So how will this effect us?
If you are still grandfathered into linked family accounts that were ended last year this means any purchased film probably won't share to your other family members accounts after uv ends. I have noticed MA films do not share to linked Vudu accounts so this is to be expected.

TV shows are not part of MA so that sucks.
Some studios like mgm and Lions gate still haven't join MA so they will only be in respective retailer once uv ends unless they jump aboard MA.

For T-Mobile Tuesdays if you were using this as a way to get $2 d to d free this might have an effect.
I was using this by creating new uv accounts redeeming the movies on extra Vudu account linked to throw away uv accounts and transferring the throwaway uv account to my main to allow me to redeem entire families uv promos since it's one per account.

So how can you share your content with family?
Option one is to add them as a child on itunes. I don't use iTunes so not sure how the process works.

Option 2 my perfered is if you have family Google music / YouTube premium membership (the grandfathered one idk how current family subscriptions work after price change) with same individuals just click the add to family library on Google play movies for each movie.

Obviously this will only allow sharing of ma films but at least there is still an option.
So make sure you like ma to Vudu Google iTunes and other retailers if you want to retain these movies in multiple places.

Just got an email from Vudu about this. Got the earlier Ultraviolet one but Vudu is saying all of our titles linked with them will be safe after shutdown. Too tired to post screenshots but if you have Vudu, email should show soon

I wonder how this news will affect prices in the trade forum. Probably not in a "make them cheaper" way!

PM'ing shortly!

Sucks but not a surprise with the way Disney acted towards UV. Now their Movies Anywhere is taking over. Guess we'll find out what does transfer over on August 1 to the various remaining platforms. When CinemaNow closed down, all I lost was a The Hobbit behind the scenes video so that wasn't too bad. UV's FAQ doesn't exactly scream confidence:

How can I access my existing movies and TV shows after UltraViolet shuts down?
In most cases, your movies and TV shows will be available via the retailers linked to your UltraViolet Library at the time of UltraViolet shutdown. Linking to additional retailers can maximize your access to your Library and help avoid potential disruption. Visit www.myuv.com/retailers for a list of retailers.
"In most cases" means we don't know what's getting left behind!

Last edited by a moderator:
Is there any extension or 3rd party program that will display a list of all the movies/shows/etc that are associated with a person's UV account? I'd rather make a spreadsheet than take all the screencaps it's require to see everything.

Is there any extension or 3rd party program that will display a list of all the movies/shows/etc that are associated with a person's UV account? I'd rather make a spreadsheet than take all the screencaps it's require to see everything.
This Chrome extension isn't for UV per se, but it does work with Vudu (and most if not all of your UV content should be in Vudu):

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/vudu-catalog/bnlpiockcfehbfbdcegahemgmjfkdopc?hl=en

FYI, this extension does not work with Chrome Canary.

For me with this mess is the users. I started my UV library early on and added my brother as a user. Together we've amassed a nice selection of titles. He has his separate Vudu account but still redeems into the shared locker, wonder how this is going to effect us?

Unless a code is branded with UV somewhere on the card, it doesn't work for the service right? I have quite a few that just say digital copy, mostly for Fox or old Marvel movies but don't have the UV logo anywhere. Sorry, this is probably common knowledge but I know fuck all about digital copies lol. :lol:

Unless a code is branded with UV somewhere on the card, it doesn't work for the service right? I have quite a few that just say digital copy, mostly for Fox or old Marvel movies but don't have the UV logo anywhere. Sorry, this is probably common knowledge but I know fuck all about digital copies lol. :lol:
Depending on movie\age, most likely the code you're talking about is the one you entered in once you popped the disc into your computer. Kinda like product codes for PC games but it just copied the movie to a drm locked folder on your computer. Was a horrible mess personally.

Unless it says UV, MA, Vudu or explicitly states to go online to redeem it into one of those services, pretty sure you're looking at the old kind

But you might still be in luck, most these older titles with that kind of digital copy can still redeem to your iTunes account. If they are one of the participating members of MA like fox or Disney then it should work. So if you connect your Vudu to MA and iTunes to MA you can get those titles on all MA connected service.

But you might still be in luck, most these older titles with that kind of digital copy can still redeem to your iTunes account. If they are one of the participating members of MA like fox or Disney then it should work. So if you connect your Vudu to MA and iTunes to MA you can get those titles on all MA connected service.
Oh word, yeah a lot say the itunes thing and were the old digital copy w/ disc so that's why I wasn't sure how they worked. Thanks!

Bleh I tried to merge my UV accounts but since they were also linked for the sharing thing, I had to unlink it. When I linked it again it's not showing any of my movies from Vudu in UV.

Bleh I tried to merge my UV accounts but since they were also linked for the sharing thing, I had to unlink it. When I linked it again it's not showing any of my movies from Vudu in UV.
I thought the UV merging feature was turned off a long time ago. Also, the OP mentions that UV warned about un-linking accounts.

Never unlink your main.
I had been using the uv merge all the way up untill the last TMobile Tuesday Vudu offer
I'm not sure if it's still working though.

Here we are. Hope everyone took screenshots of their content providers to see what has problems starting Thursday.

Slightly OT, but I grabbed all the codes I had from everything because of the shutdown and starting redeeming everything today.

Figure this is the best place to ask this next, but I found a couple of Sony disc registration codes in some of my collection, but when i try to use the Sony Rewards app to register them, I basically can't because the codes on the inserts are only 8 characters long.

Any ideas?

Slightly OT, but I grabbed all the codes I had from everything because of the shutdown and starting redeeming everything today.

Figure this is the best place to ask this next, but I found a couple of Sony disc registration codes in some of my collection, but when i try to use the Sony Rewards app to register them, I basically can't because the codes on the inserts are only 8 characters long.

Any ideas?
At the bottom of the register disc page is a list of all movies that are eligible to be registered. Anything not on that list (i.e., older movies with codes) probably won't work.

Yeah, I ended up redeeming everything I had a couple months ago after deciding trying to sell them wouldn't be time/cost effective. I might use the digital library one day, but for now I don't even consider it an option. I still prefer to just grab the disc and pop it into the X1 4k BD player. ;)

How long does this take? I have about 1K movies and 200 TV shows in my Vudu account. It's been running for over an hour.
Make sure to not use Chrome Canary. It will run infinitely and not get anywhere.

I have many more movies than you and it took maybe five minutes.

I just checked my Vudu account, and the number totals for my movies and TV collections haven't gone down, so that's a relief. Stuff that I recall redeeming through Flixster that ported to Vudu through UV is still in there.

Make sure to not use Chrome Canary. It will run infinitely and not get anywhere.

I have many more movies than you and it took maybe five minutes.
Thanks. After a couple hours last night I gave up, closed Chrome, relaunched and tried again and it worked.

Took maybe 10 minutes

I just checked my Vudu account, and the number totals for my movies and TV collections haven't gone down, so that's a relief. Stuff that I recall redeeming through Flixster that ported to Vudu through UV is still in there.
Same here. I was mostly thinking older stuff redeemed through CinemaNow or Target Ticket would potentially disappear, or a handful of movies from the UK I redeemed through a VPN, but everything seems in order.

Threads here disappear after few months of inactivity, So if you want thread to stay give it nice post in it (bump).Then it won't be deleted.

It's statements like this that remind me why I will never go digital with movies and video games.

It's statements like this that remind me why I will never go digital with movies and video games.
At some point, people won't have a choice. The world is going towards all digital. Maybe we'll be dead by then, but if it happens in the next 4 decades, I'd prefer to still be alive.

At some point, people won't have a choice. The world is going towards all digital. Maybe we'll be dead by then, but if it happens in the next 4 decades, I'd prefer to still be alive.
And complaining about how all my 16K movies look like shit because the 32K movies are out now...

What happened to the vudu d2d thread ?
Threads here disappear after few months of inactivity, So if you want thread to stay give it nice post in it (bump).Then it won't be deleted.
Just change the time frame at the top of a forum under the Custom to show older topics, which is likely going to be Show All because the only other option is the Last 90 Days for older topics. By default, it's 60 days. Hit the checkbox to save it as your default view. It needs to be done on each forum.

[attachment=32641:Capture.JPG]

bread's done
Back