Red Dead Redemption 2 $39.99 Gamestop.com

Would prefer to get it digital...  But maybe i should go ahead and use my GS credit before they go out of business...

This is very impressive. I think we waited five years for a sale on GTA V.
What? No, definitely not. The five year anniversary of GTA V's original (360/PS3) release was September 2018, and it was on sale many times before that. The other versions haven't even been out five years yet.

Am I the only one that stopped playing this cold turkey because the game just wasn't that good? Too many tedious systems to wade through. If I wanted a wilderness sim, I'd go backpacking in the mountains.

Am I the only one that stopped playing this cold turkey because the game just wasn't that good? Too many tedious systems to wade through. If I wanted a wilderness sim, I'd go backpacking in the mountains.
I am almost at that point (been borrowing the game from my local library which has a ton of games). I am on Chapter 2 and starting to get a bit bored. I keep holding out that it will get better and I've put a decent amount of time into RDR2 so I don't want to stop. Decisions, decisions.

The story only gets better and better as you go on, so I would at least try to play through that and potentially ignore everything else if you have the time!

The story only gets better and better as you go on, so I would at least try to play through that and potentially ignore everything else if you have the time!
My OCD for map markers doesn't allow this.

Last edited by a moderator:
What’s the success with price matching with these sales? Don’t really want to waste my time but if I can snag RDR2 and Spider-Man with a filler to return for an end total of $53 it’s a no brainer

What’s the success with price matching with these sales? Don’t really want to waste my time but if I can snag RDR2 and Spider-Man with a filler to return for an end total of $53 it’s a no brainer
Not sure how you would return a game. Don't these sales price out each one so it's worth less if you return?

Not sure how you would return a game. Don't these sales price out each one so it's worth less if you return?
Typically on these BOGO type sales they do a percentage off each game and not pay for 2 and the 3rd free. I’ve done it recently with their buy one get one. Got RE7 and Watchdogs 2, returned Watchdogs 2 and still got RE7 for 50% off.

In this case each game would be 33% off. Three $40 game would show as $26.40 each on the receipt. Take one back and the other two still remain at $26.40 each, so the two would be $52.80 total plus tax.

Typically on these BOGO type sales they do a percentage off each game and not pay for 2 and the 3rd free. I’ve done it recently with their buy one get one. Got RE7 and Watchdogs 2, returned Watchdogs 2 and still got RE7 for 50% off.

In this case each game would be 33% off. Three $40 game would show as $26.40 each on the receipt. Take one back and the other two still remain at $26.40 each, so the two would be $52.80 total plus tax.
Gotcha.

Part of the reason I put it down was that it’s gorgeous, and I love to play it on the big ol’ OLED. Then I started playing INSIDE (finally!) in my bedroom at night, and then I got The Old Hunters DLC on sale... RDR2 is great, and like any Rockstar game, the production and narrative is so fucking good.

Perhaps, however, the gameplay is not as arresting as it used to be—we’ve been playing this game for 18 years. Could just be the bourbon talking. I’ll let you know when I pick it up again.

Part of the reason I put it down was that it’s gorgeous, and I love to play it on the big ol’ OLED. Then I started playing INSIDE (finally!) in my bedroom at night, and then I got The Old Hunters DLC on sale... RDR2 is great, and like any Rockstar game, the production and narrative is so fucking good.

Perhaps, however, the gameplay is not as arresting as it used to be—we’ve been playing this game for 18 years. Could just be the bourbon talking. I’ll let you know when I pick it up again.
Actually, they made the classic mistake of making the main character too bland in lieu of a morality system. Arthur is boring. All his narrative that I could stomach through was shades of gray to the point that he had no personality, just goes with the flow and never says no. Not only that, but the gang is boring. The menial tasks they have you do are never that exciting or flow like a grand adventure, it's just task after task after task. I don't remember John Marston having to take some whiny little bitch kid fishing because he has the sads. Or running errands into town because the gang is too chicken shit to risk running into THE LAW.

Morality systems ruin everything in games because something narrative driven shouldn't be up to the player to decide, IT SHOULD JUST BE. Imagine stopping a movie and having the audience decide whether the villain should shoot innocent people or let them go out of kindness.

Wild West? More like Mild West.

Actually, they made the classic mistake of making the main character too bland in lieu of a morality system. Arthur is boring. All his narrative that I could stomach through was shades of gray to the point that he had no personality, just goes with the flow and never says no. Not only that, but the gang is boring. The menial tasks they have you do are never that exciting or flow like a grand adventure, it's just task after task after task. I don't remember John Marston having to take some whiny little bitch kid fishing because he has the sads. Or running errands into town because the gang is too chicken shit to risk running into THE LAW.

Morality systems ruin everything in games because something narrative driven shouldn't be up to the player to decide, IT SHOULD JUST BE. Imagine stopping a movie and having the audience decide whether the villain should shoot innocent people or let them go out of kindness.

Wild West? More like Mild West.
the game does start slow but if you stick with it you're in for one hell of a ride. Arthur only appears bland at the start. he and the rest of the gang all have unique and realistic personalities that change throughout the story. the members of the group change as well. some leave (in one way or another) and new ones join. i'm not going to spoil anything but there's so much that happens over the course of the game it's crazy.

the game does start slow but if you stick with it you're in for one hell of a ride. Arthur only appears bland at the start. he and the rest of the gang all have unique and realistic personalities that change throughout the story. the members of the group change as well. some leave (in one way or another) and new ones join. i'm not going to spoil anything but there's so much that happens over the course of the game it's crazy.
I'm sure I'll eventually get back to it, but Fallout 76 just kinda dropped in and was way more fun at the time. Now Anthem is coming so it's on the back burner again. I doubt it will spark the same enthrallment I had with the first game, but I'm hoping it will at least go somewhere interesting. I just can't wrap my head around having to go through all the sidequests or camp upgrades anymore. My OCD won't let it go lol, but they're such a chore it's a turn-off. :wall:

I'm sure I'll eventually get back to it, but Fallout 76 just kinda dropped in and was way more fun at the time. Now Anthem is coming so it's on the back burner again. I doubt it will spark the same enthrallment I had with the first game, but I'm hoping it will at least go somewhere interesting. I just can't wrap my head around having to go through all the sidequests or camp upgrades anymore. My OCD won't let it go lol, but they're such a chore it's a turn-off. :wall:
This was me. I picked up the guide for cheap so I could see what side stuff unlocks in each chapter and thought I’ll just dive into the game full swing, halfway into chapter two and I’m just bored. I put it back on the shelf because I just couldn’t bear to keep playing it. I felt like everything was such a chore and with anthem coming a week and division to follow next month I won’t be touching it again anytime soon

This was me. I picked up the guide for cheap so I could see what side stuff unlocks in each chapter and thought I’ll just dive into the game full swing, halfway into chapter two and I’m just bored. I put it back on the shelf because I just couldn’t bear to keep playing it. I felt like everything was such a chore and with anthem coming a week and division to follow next month I won’t be touching it again anytime soon
The pristine pelts for upgrades is what killed it for me. I understand it's meant to add value to hunting, but YOU TRY HEADSHOTTING A fuckING RABBIT FROM 20M IN TALL GRASS. I got so tired of finally finding a 3-star pelt only to have it be ruined because I was off by a pixel. And can I just say how they quite literally ripped off Assassin's Creed 3's hunting system? I hated it then, hate it now. Just let me build traps with fucking flamethrowers and spikes to make it actually fun already. -_-

I just pricematched at Target. Just depends on who you get.
Target officially price matches GameStop.com, so there's no reason the clerk should matter. https://corporate.target.com/_media/TargetCorp/about/pdf/Price-Match-Online-Competitor-List.pdf

I'm surprised TBH. Rockstar games don't usually go on sale this fast so it must have fallen off a cliff after release.

Target officially price matches GameStop.com, so there's no reason the clerk should matter. https://corporate.target.com/_media/TargetCorp/about/pdf/Price-Match-Online-Competitor-List.pdf
Beware of Target. I tried to PM Far Cry 5 for $20 several weeks ago at Target and the customer service reps said they don't PM Gamestop after they failed to find Gamestop on their pricematching scanner tool. I told them Gamestop is listed on their corporate website as one of their competitors that they PM and even insisted on showing them the page, but they didn't give two fucks.

I later complained to customer support through their website. The rep told me that they do PM Gamestop and said the people should have found Gamestop in the top middle portion of the PM tool.

Long story short, Target store customer service reps are idiots.

Last edited by a moderator:
FYI this price is likely to change after close of business tonight as many GS sales are Wed-Tues. so I would buy now if you’re on the fence.

I'm surprised TBH. Rockstar games don't usually go on sale this fast so it must have fallen off a cliff after release.
it was the best selling game last year

Red Dead isn't Grand Theft Auto, non gamers have no idea what Red Dead is so i don't know why anybody expected it to have the same impact

Only the gold edition. I doubt we’ll see a GOTY edition.
I Googled the Gold Edition but nothing popped up. What is it and when will it be out? I'm basically just trying to figure out if it's worth waiting for or just spending the money and getting this deal now.

I Googled the Gold Edition but nothing popped up. What is it and when will it be out? I'm basically just trying to figure out if it's worth waiting for or just spending the money and getting this deal now.
Whoops, thought we were talking about Assassin’s Creed: Odyssey. My bad!

I beat the game, but never found it as great as people were making it out to be. Without giving away spoilers, the story was repetitive and not very believable. The biggest problem was not being able to fast travel. I wouldn't have minded the problems if I didn't have to spend so much time getting to places.

I beat the game, but never found it as great as people were making it out to be. Without giving away spoilers, the story was repetitive and not very believable. The biggest problem was not being able to fast travel. I wouldn't have minded the problems if I didn't have to spend so much time getting to places.
Wasn't stagecoaches supposed to be fast travel? I remember using one once as part of the story but I thought you could skip via loading screen to the destination. Granted that's a poor man's FT, but at least it was something.

yeah, once you've been to a location, you can fast travel using the stage coaches or the map at camp. while i was doing the story, i rarely fast traveled as i like to explore and there are lots of random events you can encounter. however, after completing the story and tracking down all the collectibles, i now fast travel all the time. not much new to see at a certain point.

i still occasionally encounter new stuff though. recently, i ran into some guys who tried stealing my horse (usually they want my money or just want to kill me). another time, i heard some weird noises in the woods and went to check it out. a couple of bucks were fighting each other using their antlers. one killed the other and got his antlers tangled in the dead one for a while. also, found a tomb in the woods and now have a nice viking helmet and hatchet.

Wasn't stagecoaches supposed to be fast travel? I remember using one once as part of the story but I thought you could skip via loading screen to the destination. Granted that's a poor man's FT, but at least it was something.
Most of the time it was easier to just ride to the location rather than ride to fast travel point, travel, then ride to destination from new fast travel point. The map was just too big for its own good.

bread's done
Back