- - - - -

Best Buy Ad 2/17-2/23: Free Steelbook with Pokémon: Let's Go

#151 Fuzzmeister  

Fuzzmeister

Posted 20 February 2019 - 12:56 PM

Not necessarily, unless we were to start seeing everyone get stuff shipped like that. Even if shipping steelbooks in boxes were to be their official policy, someone can always mess up (or not care) and ship it in a bubble mailer when they pick it and package it at the warehouse. There's so many things that could have happened. Someone's pack station could be out of boxes at that moment, and they just said "Eh, screw it." Could be a new person who doesn't know better yet.

Yeah it was a bubble mailer.  Looks like something with a heavy corner was dropped on the corner of the steelbook.  It's a long shot, but gonna see if the store will swap it out.

#152 Leooo0   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   119 Posts   Joined 11.4 Years Ago  

Posted 20 February 2019 - 04:17 PM

my $1 loophole steelbook was totes scrunched. Guess i should have paid $65 like a good customer.

Wouldn't call mine crunched but it definitely has more than a couple of dents unfortunately.

#153 BlurredReality   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   354 Posts   Joined 7.6 Years Ago  

BlurredReality

Posted 20 February 2019 - 04:32 PM

Wouldn't call mine crunched but it definitely has more than a couple of dents unfortunately.

Mine has a dent or two in it as well, they've just been sending all my steelbooks lately in just flimsy bubble mailers. I don't know if I want to try online chat to see if I can get them to just send me another one since I have no way of knowing if any stores in my area have one in stock or just using this one since it's mostly OK aside from the dings in the back.

#154 Tyrok   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   2378 Posts   Joined 11.7 Years Ago  

Posted 20 February 2019 - 05:40 PM

Not necessarily, unless we were to start seeing everyone get stuff shipped like that. Even if shipping steelbooks in boxes were to be their official policy, someone can always mess up (or not care) and ship it in a bubble mailer when they pick it and package it at the warehouse. There's so many things that could have happened. Someone's pack station could be out of boxes at that moment, and they just said "Eh, screw it." Could be a new person who doesn't know better yet.

Usually when an amiibo is shipped in a bubble mailer it is because a store is fulfilling the order with their extra stock.

#155 Jodou   Infamous CAGiversary!   14393 Posts   Joined 10.7 Years Ago  

Posted 20 February 2019 - 07:15 PM

Usually when an amiibo is shipped in a bubble mailer it is because a store is fulfilling the order with their extra stock.

Ignoring the fact retail stores toss plenty of shipping boxes everyday, of course.

#156 dualrec  

Posted 20 February 2019 - 08:53 PM

so, if I pickup my 2nd pokemon steelbook that is apparently waiting on me, is there a trade thread for physical stuff where I could offer it up for another steelbook?  I searched with google, but didn't see anything that I thought was the correct spot.

Trying to decide to pickup and trade or cancel and let some  other random person get it.

#157 Tyrok   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   2378 Posts   Joined 11.7 Years Ago  

Posted 20 February 2019 - 09:14 PM

Ignoring the fact retail stores toss plenty of shipping boxes everyday, of course.

Stores have boxes to ship orders too but most won't "waste" one on shipping an amiibo when they can be used on things that cost 10 times as much.

#158 Fuzzmeister  

Fuzzmeister

Posted 21 February 2019 - 02:15 AM

Local store had 1 Let's Go steelbook left and let me do an exchange.  Anthem shipped today.  I hope it turns out in good shape.  It's really the only trouble I've had with BB even with bubble mailers, but they usually end up USPS and not on a UPS truck.

#159 Renzler   Dude CAGiversary!   1819 Posts   Joined 1.3 Years Ago  

Posted 21 February 2019 - 05:04 AM

My bubble mailer let's go steelbook arrived in excellent condition. I'm very surprised by that.

#160 Rick Astley  

Rick Astley

Posted 21 February 2019 - 05:20 AM

Really hoping the anthem steelbook will be available for a while with the game getting a price drop just like bf5 and fallout 76

#161 Jodou   Infamous CAGiversary!   14393 Posts   Joined 10.7 Years Ago  

Posted 21 February 2019 - 06:28 AM

With all the negative press arriving over Anthem, I'm certain it'll be dropping around a month in.

#162 humbug43  

humbug43

Posted 21 February 2019 - 06:49 AM

People I work with are claiming they haven't seen anything negative about anthem. I wonder what they are smoking or if they are just plain stupid or what lol

#163 Jodou   Infamous CAGiversary!   14393 Posts   Joined 10.7 Years Ago  

Posted 21 February 2019 - 07:01 AM

People I work with are claiming they haven't seen anything negative about anthem. I wonder what they are smoking or if they are just plain stupid or what lol

The top 5 complaints are: load times, worthless narrative (atypical of a BioWare game), repetitive mission types, boring loot, and finally bugs. The javelins themselves are fun to pilot and are overall fulfilling, but the problem (as is all too common) is that the game mechanics themselves are just poorly designed and make the game a chore to play at times. There's a lot of schoolboy mistakes that veterans of open world, online games easily spot before they should ever be implemented and that's why it's frustrating to see such idiotic design repeated when a game in development for six years should have known better.

Things like being downed and unable to do anything but hard exit the game unless a teammate bothers to revive you. I can tell you from experience, if you're playing with a group of trolls who think you suck or are holding the team back; they will leave your ass behind for the rest of the mission. Or being able to AFK the entire mission and unable to be kicked. HAVE THEY NEVER HEARD OF BOOSTING LOL?

I mean, see for yourself since the review scores are rolling out. It's getting mediocre reviews OUTSIDE the fact EA is publishing. In fact, I've not seen a single negative thing about EA in all this; the game is just unfinished and people are calling them out for it.

#164 ck0  

Posted 21 February 2019 - 02:52 PM

I played the beta demo for Anthem and saw all I needed to see. The load times at unexpected intervals was definitely shocking to me. The only other online-only loot shooter I played was Destiny (and Division, I guess).

Besides that, the gameplay was boring. Enemies are boring fodder. Environments all the same. I'll be glad to see the death of these soulless games designed by committee.

BTW I played the private beta (that you get for preordering) of The Division 2 and that game is gonna bomb, too. Nothing interesting or new from what we've already seen.

#165 dualrec  

Posted 21 February 2019 - 03:46 PM

Anthem has its flaws, but combat is fun.  Sometimes I get pulled into buying games to support developers.  Being in the software development field, I get tired of hearing about layoffs in my company as well as gaming companies.  Maybe my one sale won't keep their doors open, but I try to help.  Publishers probably drag some developers down with their requirements these days.

I was surprised when I heard Blizzard was doing a massive layoff, since overwatch is apparently still making a ton of money.

#166 dualrec  

Posted 21 February 2019 - 03:51 PM

Damn, bestbuy splitting my steelbook from the game and shipping separately.  Was hoping they'd come together where it'd be protected in a box.

#167 BlurredReality   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   354 Posts   Joined 7.6 Years Ago  

BlurredReality

Posted 21 February 2019 - 04:39 PM

I played the beta demo for Anthem and saw all I needed to see. The load times at unexpected intervals was definitely shocking to me. The only other online-only loot shooter I played was Destiny (and Division, I guess).

Besides that, the gameplay was boring. Enemies are boring fodder. Environments all the same. I'll be glad to see the death of these soulless games designed by committee.

BTW I played the private beta (that you get for preordering) of The Division 2 and that game is gonna bomb, too. Nothing interesting or new from what we've already seen.

There's a significant day one patch coming that is allegedly fixing the loading time issues and several other complaints that were common. I personally never played Destiny or Destiny 2, and haven't really done a loot shooter outside of BL & BL2. That said, the criticisms nowdays of loot fest games are a little strange to me. Diablo 2 (and hell, even 3) don't really offer some super varied experience outside of the classes/powers you can play with. Running Baal or Diablo for the 192nd time isn't any different than the previous but it's still fun. I feel like what happened is when loot fest games entered into the shooter realm, the people who actually liked loot fest games still enjoy them, but those who prefer more the shooting mechanics and games don't.

#168 Tyrok   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   2378 Posts   Joined 11.7 Years Ago  

Posted 21 February 2019 - 05:17 PM

Damn, bestbuy splitting my steelbook from the game and shipping separately.  Was hoping they'd come together where it'd be protected in a box.

Bonus items almost always ship separately, especially pre-release.

#169 Jodou   Infamous CAGiversary!   14393 Posts   Joined 10.7 Years Ago  

Posted 21 February 2019 - 06:01 PM

There's a significant day one patch coming that is allegedly fixing the loading time issues and several other complaints that were common. I personally never played Destiny or Destiny 2, and haven't really done a loot shooter outside of BL & BL2. That said, the criticisms nowdays of loot fest games are a little strange to me. Diablo 2 (and hell, even 3) don't really offer some super varied experience outside of the classes/powers you can play with. Running Baal or Diablo for the 192nd time isn't any different than the previous but it's still fun. I feel like what happened is when loot fest games entered into the shooter realm, the people who actually liked loot fest games still enjoy them, but those who prefer more the shooting mechanics and games don't.

All the looter games run their course for me, it's the mechanics and combat that keep me around. Fallout 76 was pretty bad with bugs, just awful, but at the end of the day being able to build a house and revising my build/gear until it was absolutely dominating was the staying power through hundreds of hours. Anthem I already know will not have that staying power, but the javelins are refreshing and feel fun to pilot so that's the hook for me. I enjoy the meta-challenges presented of refining my gear until it's a powerhouse and I feel I have nowhere to go essentially.

It's a balance of being able to have fun without it being drowned out by all the issues. Just depends where the fulcrum is for each player.

#170 randamin  

Posted 22 February 2019 - 05:29 PM

Does anyone know when the 25% coupon for former GCU expire? I clicked the original email and received a 404 error although the email itself does not say when it expires. Wanted to use it on Metro since the coupon excluded RDR2.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

#171 ElvisTheGreat   Daddy CAGiversary!   740 Posts   Joined 5.0 Years Ago  

ElvisTheGreat

Posted 22 February 2019 - 06:04 PM

Does anyone know when the 25% coupon for former GCU expire? I clicked the original email and received a 404 error although the email itself does not say when it expires. Wanted to use it on Metro since the coupon excluded RDR2.

Gotta contact customer service and if they can fix this issue. I've been out of luck for several months now.

#172 Rick Astley  

Rick Astley

Posted 22 February 2019 - 08:19 PM

For those who picked up anthem how many steelbooks did y’all see?

#173 Legendarytjf  

Legendarytjf

Posted 22 February 2019 - 10:10 PM

For those who picked up anthem how many steelbooks did y’all see?

I went last night at 9pm when they started selling Anthem to try to get a steelbook with my digital preorder, but they didn't allow it.  Said they had 17 though that weren't reserved for in store pickups

#174 skrockij89  

Posted 23 February 2019 - 01:42 AM

Best buy shipped my steelbook to me and picked up another one when I picked up my game at the store just now. 

#175 Rick Astley  

Rick Astley

Posted 23 February 2019 - 02:56 AM

I went last night at 9pm when they started selling Anthem to try to get a steelbook with my digital preorder, but they didn't allow it. Said they had 17 though that weren't reserved for in store pickups

Oh bet I’ll wait for a price drop then

#176 inkcil   Banception...Baseball Ban in a Best Buy CAGiversary!   1253 Posts   Joined 13.7 Years Ago  

Posted 23 February 2019 - 04:17 AM

I got my email in December and I remember the coupon expired sometime in June.  I was surprised at how far out the exp was.  I clicked on my original email and got the 404 error too. Gonna have to contact CS and be ready to pay online if someone (in the moment) is willing to honor the 25% off. 

#177 Tyrok   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   2378 Posts   Joined 11.7 Years Ago  

Posted 23 February 2019 - 05:56 PM

I have no early info to post next weeks ad. Someone else is going to get to do it tonight. ;)

#178 SideQuestsSuck  

SideQuestsSuck

Posted 23 February 2019 - 09:45 PM

Went to a BB location today and tried to use a Rewards Certificate towards pre-order of "Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice" and was told you can't use Rewards Certificates for pre-orders. I can't find anything online or on BB's website regarding this restriction. Does anyone know if this is correct or have any experience in this?

Thanks...

#179 humbug43  

humbug43

Posted 23 February 2019 - 10:22 PM

Went to a BB location today and tried to use a Rewards Certificate towards pre-order of "Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice" and was told you can't use Rewards Certificates for pre-orders. I can't find anything online or on BB's website regarding this restriction. Does anyone know if this is correct or have any experience in this?

Thanks...

I use rewards on almost everything on their site. I buy pan credit and ps plus all time with them too. Unless this is something new that just started.

#180 mike568   CAG in Training CAGiversary!   411 Posts   Joined 6.9 Years Ago  

Posted 23 February 2019 - 10:36 PM

Thanks...

You can't preorder in store with a certificate but can online.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk