Shipping prices increased again. eBay offering 1 oz. First Class at $3.09, and $4.06 with no eBay discount. Any way to curb this bullshit?

Yu Narukami

Banned
Shipping prices have been steadily increasing for the past three or so years. But this time, I think it's gone too far. Just a few days ago, shipping prices were, for 1-4 ounces, $2.75. An increase from a week or two ago, sure, but still not unfair. But now when I check, it's gone up to $3.09. It's $3.66 for 5-8 oz. This is bullshit. How can they expect us to be okay with this? Is there any way to do anything about it? Because I feel like if we don't draw a line now, it's going to keep increasing until it's no longer profitable to do business on eBay.

As for “what can you do”, you can sell on amazon marketplace, sell on Facebook marketplace and sell on Craigslist. You can trade into GameStop when they are having promotions.

eBay isn’t your only option, but for high dollar items I’d stick with eBay as I’d be somewhat reluctant to have randoms coming over from Craigslist to check out buying thousands of dollars of old snes games

^That's your suggestion? Stop using eBay? You've got to be fucking kidding me. eBay gave me a million reasons to stop using it years ago. But I don't have a choice as I have big ticket items that can't be sold on Craigslist or FB Marketplace.

USPS shipping is actually cheaper though ebay. Prices went up across the board at the end of January.

Not much you can do. USPS has to increase prices to be sustainable. It's still cheaper than driving/flying the package yourself.

USPS changed 1st class from a flat rate to zoned pricing. So the farther away the buyer is the more its going to cost. I switched back over from using free shipping to charging for it. I started sending anything that I can by media mail too. For games and clothes though you can start using the calculated shipping option when you're doing your listing. Just enter in the weight and package dimensions and it will automatically charge the buyer correct shipping.

Yeah didnt know the prices were going up until I shipped out a game a few weeks ago expecting her to say like $3.50.....then she said $4.53. I was like "wow a dollar more now?". Another game was $3.70 though. Its all about distance.

Huh. You guys are right. Distance matters. I'm certain it didn't before and that it was a flat rate depending on weight as long as it was going in the US, but now, even distance between the US is different. Okay, thanks. It's not great, but I'll have to stick with it until I'm ready to get out of eBay, which will be soon. And yes, I definitely use Media Mail for anything above 9 oz.

I did as said above, I now charge for shipping using calculated eBay rate. I price everything at effectively the same price, so people further from me have to pay more and people close to me pay the same.

USPS changed 1st class from a flat rate to zoned pricing. So the farther away the buyer is the more its going to cost. I switched back over from using free shipping to charging for it. I started sending anything that I can by media mail too. For games and clothes though you can start using the calculated shipping option when you're doing your listing. Just enter in the weight and package dimensions and it will automatically charge the buyer correct shipping.
Well shit... no wonder why. I've been selling with free shipping and noticed shipping prices skyrocketed. I get that prices increase over time but thought it was a little aggressive. I had no idea though that distance is now a factor. Gonna need to update my listings.

And now... And now eBay has removed their Classic Label Printing page. As you all know, eBay got a brand new page for printing out your shipping labels. In that new page, items that do not qualify for Media Mail will themselves not allow you to select Media Mail as an option for shipping. You used to be able to circumvent this by going back to the classic label page. Now even that is not possible. So it looks like I am finally finished with eBay. I promised myself that I would be done with them for good if they ever prevented me from using Media Mail. So that's that now. Thanks, eBay. See you never.

Lol, IDK I sold a DMR DS poster for Avengers Endgame for $100 the other day. Decided the movie was too depressing for me to want a poster for it heh. Shipping was the usual, so I'm good lol.

Last edited by a moderator:
When First Class mail is double what it was two years ago, you're damn right I'm going to try to circumvent postal requirements.
I looked it up real quick and don't know if this is accurate or not- but doesn't seem like it's gone up 2x in the last 2 years. Some quick math says a 13 oz package is $6.65 now vs 4.54 dating back to May 2015.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_United_States_postage_rates

Also, while it sucks rates are higher, I've noticed more and more people using media mail to ship items that do not qualify as media mail and people using covered up Priority mail boxes to ship packages. I'm not super up to date with USPS finances but based on what I have seen, the USPS isn't swimming in profits. All I know is the USPS is almost always WAY cheaper than UPS or FedEx (buyer requested/paid for FedEx and it cost $15 to ship a 9 oz package).

Last edited by a moderator:
I looked it up real quick and don't know if this is accurate or not- but doesn't seem like it's gone up 2x in the last 2 years. Some quick math says a 13 oz package is $6.65 now vs 4.54 dating back to May 2015.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_United_States_postage_rates

Also, while it sucks rates are higher, I've noticed more and more people using media mail to ship items that do not qualify as media mail and people using covered up Priority mail boxes to ship packages. I'm not super up to date with USPS finances but based on what I have seen, the USPS isn't swimming in profits. All I know is the USPS is almost always WAY cheaper than UPS or FedEx (buyer requested/paid for FedEx and it cost $15 to ship a 9 oz package).
It's not at all accurate. It may be expensive now, but even a 16 oz. package is only around $5.45 now. However, back in 2016, it didn't get that high. The max was 12 oz. I think and it was a little under $3 for it. Around $2.75. It may not be double, but I don't see why I should be charged $5.45 for a pound of stuff. And it's not the point anyway. Media Mail being unselectable is my problem. Priority Mail can fuck right off. Never using that garbage.

bread's done
Back