Thoughts on (Possible) Scammy Resellers

blueshinra

CAGiversary!
Feedback
14 (100%)
I sold a pair of like-new manga box sets on Amazon Marketplace today, but the person (or "person") I sold them to was not the usual individual at a residential address. Doing Google searches for both the name and the address didn't turn up much except for a confusing website whose line of business I couldn't quite figure out (it seems that English is not their first language; they seem to be a branch of a Korean company).

I suspect that they're a reseller of some sort, but there was no easy way to tell this. I'm moving soon, and the box sets I sold have recently gone for lower prices on eBay, so I'm not too worried-- if these people try to resell them in the same condition, they won't get much (if anything) for them.

However, if they shrinkwrap the sets and try to pass them off as "New/Sealed", then I wouldn't like that. I've been scammed by such things in the past (though in at least one case, I did get a partial refund), so some of my old things being sold in the same way would be infuriating, to say the least. However, as I said, I'm moving soon and need to get rid of this stuff ASAP, and would get more for them via Amazon than I would through, say, Half-Price Books, so I didn't turn down the sale. This is all just speculation on my part anyway, and who's to say I'm right?

It seems to be much harder to tell just what is going on with buyers sometimes. It could be that someone at this mysterious company just wants these manga for their own collection and used this name/address for some odd reason. I considered slipping a note in one of the books that said something like, "If you bought this as new, you got scammed. Please email me with the info", but that seemed pretty risky, for various reasons.

As a semi-related aside, I recently gave away some furniture via Craigslist and the first person who replied could take it all, which of course was great for me. They came in a pickup truck with a business name on the side that implied that they might have intended to resell the pieces. They did say that they were going to keep the largest one for themselves, when I asked what they were going to do with them, but didn't talk about the rest (which weren't worth much to begin with), and I didn't press the issue.

Anyway, sorry for all this rambling, but nowadays it seems like there's no way to avoid this sort of thing on the internet. In this case, I also can't tell if this is legit or not. Your garden-variety scammers aside, I miss the old days when you could be 90% sure that you're selling to a real person who intends to keep something. This'll probably fall on deaf ears to the more cynical CAGs out there (and I don't blame you if you are one; just don't be an asshole), but I had to share/vent somewhere, and this was the best place for me :razz:

Last edited by a moderator:
If you're getting the requested price, why would it matter what the buyer does with the item?
True, but I wouldn't feel good about it if the buyer then resells the item as "new", misrepresenting its actual condition. I don't want to be a part of such scummy tactics if I can help it.

Granted, these manga box sets are part of a series that has been reprinted since then, on better quality paper and with improved translations, so I don't think it'd be a profitable move in this case. The Craigslist thing bugs me a bit more.

Last edited by a moderator:
bread's done
Back