Best Buy Digital Mario Games Discount (Mario day?) $20 off

PEOPLE DON'T RELIGIOUSLY FOLLOW MEGA THREADS.

Sorry for yelling, but I for one appreciate people flagging the significant deals found in mega threads.

Am I crazy or is this a deal where you are required to actually buy a $300 console?

That should have been in the title, no?

A bit of important information I would think.

Am I crazy or is this a deal where you are required to actually buy a $300 console?
That should have been in the title, no?
A bit of important information I would think.
No. One deal is if you buy the console. The other deal is $20 off just the digital versions of certain Mario games.

Yes you are crazy.
Thanks. I am still a little off. When you go to the link, it says not available for individual sale.

I'll keep looking.

From Nintendo's site (although not sure how to access)

Already own a Nintendo Switch system? Best Buy, Target, and Walmart.com are also offering deals on select digital titles featuring Mario. Get a digital download code of Super Mario Party, Super Mario Odyssey, Mario Kart 8 Deluxe, Mario Tennis Aces, or New Super Mario Bros. U Deluxe for $39.99 each.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm pretty sure there was a lack of clarity on Nintendo's party and the $39.99 Mario games were only meant to be on sale on Mario Day (March 10th) and the 3/10-3/16 time frame is for the bundle deals.

I'm pretty sure there was a lack of clarity on Nintendo's party and the $39.99 Mario games were only meant to be on sale on Mario Day (March 10th) and the 3/10-3/16 time frame is for the bundle deals.
Directly below the above quote from Nintendo’s website in the link I posted.
Offer valid at participating retailers from 3/10 – 3/16, or while supplies last. Please check retailers for details and availability

What is your point? It lacks specific clarity on $39.99 games. The retailers are blocking sales on digital - they did not run out of stock.
I bought my $40 mario kart digital last night (Monday). Had it sitting in my cart all day. Pretty sure it's about having codes in stock, rather than a block.

Two separate paragraphs, 3-10 through 3-16
The disclaimer that the retailers are using................. while supplies last. (Edit: and the “participating” retailers.. that means that Nintendo allows them to opt out)
They can stop whenever they want. Bet you that 3-17 they will have them in stock again, at full price.
[attachment=31938:BB429977-FD35-4798-BF88-AF79FBB3AD01.png]

It would appear that they are back in stock at Walmart. Wish we knew if Best Buy was putting them back in stock before the sale though.

THANK YOU. I was trying to figure out why retailers were purposefully not selling their digital copies at the sale price.

Except he’s wrong.

If BB and Walmart *STILL* list the price at $39.99 then they know full well that the price is to be $39.99 until 3-16.
Which means Nintendo DID explain the deal to them.

BB/Walmart/Target are deciding to keep it “oos”
If the price went back to $60 on Monday... then he’d have a point.

It’s all right there in the link to their website, confirmation is on BB/Walmart’s prices for them.

Except he’s wrong.

If BB and Walmart *STILL* list the price at $39.99 then they know full well that the price is to be $39.99 until 3-16.
Which means Nintendo DID explain the deal to them.

BB/Walmart/Target are deciding to keep it “oos”
If the price went back to $60 on Monday... then he’d have a point.

It’s all right there in the link to their website, confirmation is on BB/Walmart’s prices for them.
Um, ok... BB still has them listed on the website at $39.99 because it was (probably erroneously) advertised on their print ad. Prices at Target and Amazon are back at $59.99, and walmart.com doesn't have the games listed, so there is no way to see the digital prices. If Nintendo is not pushing that $20 price break along to the retailers... like what would happen if they did not communicate well enough to marketing departments that it was a 1 day thing, then retailers are going to do what they can to not take a loss. Which is go OOS. I am just speculating here, but feel free to believe what you want.

Have you’ll tried bring the cardboard sku to a register inside a Bestbuy store and see what it says there?
They should be able to type in the sku directly into the pos if they are willing. I already have the physical US cartage of all of the games and trade in would make me pay if I don’t pay the sales tax on the digital copies.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Have you’ll tried bring the cardboard sku to a register inside a Bestbuy store and see what it says there?
They should be able to type in the sku directly into the pos if they are willing. I already have the physical US cartage of all of the games and trade in would make me pay if I don’t pay the sales tax on the digital copies.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I wondered about that also. The digital games (Super Mario Party, Super Mario Odyssey, and Mario Kart 8) are shown in the ad for $39.99. I would guess those 3 at least could be price matched if they didn't ring up correctly.

Um, ok... BB still has them listed on the website at $39.99 because it was (probably erroneously) advertised on their print ad. Prices at Target and Amazon are back at $59.99, and walmart.com doesn't have the games listed, so there is no way to see the digital prices. If Nintendo is not pushing that $20 price break along to the retailers... like what would happen if they did not communicate well enough to marketing departments that it was a 1 day thing, then retailers are going to do what they can to not take a loss. Which is go OOS. I am just speculating here, but feel free to believe what you want.
Amazon has it listed as notify me. As in OOS. Not listed at $59.99
Bestbuy is still $39.99, also OOS.
Walmart was back in stock, read earlier, at $39.99.

Nintendo still has the ad up on their website.
Again, read the fine print at the bottom. Every retailer that is OOS will mysteriously have them back in stock at 12:01 the 17th.
Betting they just set aside a certain number to be sold to please Nintendo and then followed the “while supplies last” part. Which they can do.

Also read the ad from Nintendo, point out where they separate the bundle and the digital prices by the normal asterisk to say one day only on the digital and 7 days on the bundle.

And go read some Mario day sale articles around the web... they link to the walmart etc sale prices, which DO show $39.99 but OOS.
Which again proves my point.

https://www.cnet.com/news/mario-day-sale-includes-deals-on-the-nintendo-switch-mario-kart-8-and-odyssey-while-supplies-last/

https://m.ign.com/articles/2019/03/12/great-nintendo-switch-deals-for-mario-day-lowest-price-ever-on-switch-mario-games-nintendo-switch-on-sale

Links here to all Walmart Mario day games, hmmmmmmmmmmmmm $39.99.............

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2019/03/dealmaster-nintendo-discounts-a-bunch-of-mario-games-for-mar10-day/?comments=1

Amazon has it listed as notify me. As in OOS. Not listed at $59.99
Bestbuy is still $39.99, also OOS.
Walmart was back in stock, read earlier, at $39.99.

Nintendo still has the ad up on their website.
Again, read the fine print at the bottom. Every retailer that is OOS will mysteriously have them back in stock at 12:01 the 17th.
Betting they just set aside a certain number to be sold to please Nintendo and then followed the “while supplies last” part. Which they can do.

Also read the ad from Nintendo, point out where they separate the bundle and the digital prices by the normal asterisk to say one day only on the digital and 7 days on the bundle.

And go read some Mario day sale articles around the web... they link to the walmart etc sale prices, which DO show $39.99 but OOS.
Which again proves my point.

https://www.cnet.com/news/mario-day-sale-includes-deals-on-the-nintendo-switch-mario-kart-8-and-odyssey-while-supplies-last/

https://m.ign.com/articles/2019/03/12/great-nintendo-switch-deals-for-mario-day-lowest-price-ever-on-switch-mario-games-nintendo-switch-on-sale

Links here to all Walmart Mario day games, hmmmmmmmmmmmmm $39.99.............

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2019/03/dealmaster-nintendo-discounts-a-bunch-of-mario-games-for-mar10-day/?comments=1
My guess is that Nintendo subsidized x amount of copies of each game for each retailer.

I can confirm that the little cardboard slip for the digital games in the brick and mortar stores are on sale. Bought one today and it rang up as $39.99.

I hope it doesn't take too long for the physical of New Super Mario Bros U to hit $40 at Best Buy.

Last edited:
Any way to tell which BB stores have the digital cards in stock? I'm reluctant to travel to my local BB just to find them OoS.

All stores should have the endcap with the cards. A lot of them are going to be expanding their Nintendo section soon at the expense of PS/XB.

I was able to walk in the Best Buy yesterday and grab Odyssey and NSMBU without any issue. Didn’t see any cards for Mario Party or even a empty peg hook for it so I’m not sure they ever had that one.

I was able to walk in the Best Buy yesterday and grab Odyssey and NSMBU without any issue. Didn’t see any cards for Mario Party or even a empty peg hook for it so I’m not sure they ever had that one.
You could have given them the sku from the website. To late now.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Glad many found use for this! I know I did. The reason I posted was because the Switch +game deal and the digital game deals were different and it was easy to miss that info. I picked up Kart and Bros delux. 

bread's done
Back