Which disks to avoid?

searobbins

CAGiversary!
I picked up a Wii u recently for the kids to play with.
And, after my little girl broke a controller. I picked up another.

They really like this system.

Here is my question.
Are there any disks to avoid?
I've been getting some at the local libraries and have noticed a high failure rate for the discs. Many don't seem to work. And for no good reason. I picked up 3 copies of Nintendoland
None work...
So, which are the worst?
Thanks

New Super Mario + Luigi combo disc is easily the biggest one that had mass failure even brand new. Pokken Tournament & Super Smash Bros are other popular ones to have issues.

It can be any disc that gets any extremely minor scratch that you may not even notice (ironically, old scratched up Wii games all seem to work fine in a WiiU)

There's a few Youtube videos showing how to temp fix discs that are giving you trouble, it worked for me on my mint-looking used copy of Pokken Tournament:  spray some Pledge on the bottom surface of the disc a few times.  It adds a coating to the surface that helps fill in anything that we don't even see that's preventing the system from reading the disc. 

I did it twice (maybe three times) and popped it in the system about 5 times before it finally registered.

I didn't know this was an issue... I bought a ton of used Wii U games and never bothered checking them because the discs were mint. And now I'm wondering how many of them are duds. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Wasn't aware of this issue, either. Another reason why I always try to test my games whether used or new. I try now only to buy games I want to play so will usually open them within the return period to at least run it through the console.

Got burned once when I bought a DC game while away at school, and found out over the summer it didn't play. Ugh. Lesson learned - there are s$%theads and liars - and sadly they make up most of the human race.

Fortunately, we can I.D. them because the lion's share of these mother#@^#ers run for government.

Last edited by a moderator:
bread's done
Back