- - - - -

Sega genesis mini preorders are live

#31 Super Sonic   CAG in Training CAGiversary!   730 Posts   Joined 7.0 Years Ago  

Super Sonic

Posted 31 March 2019 - 04:29 AM

No thanks, Sega. You've burned your bridges one time too many with these things. I've seen Genesis themed systems just like this at Family Dollar/ Dollar General and they're all trash.  What is this, like their third or fourth time rehashing it?  And we're left with a raw deal of two 3 button controllers when the Japanese get two six button controllers? Or a bundle with only one six button controller for $20 less? Fuck you, Sega.  Probably won't even include Sonic 3 and Knuckles.

#32 Renzler   Dude CAGiversary!   1867 Posts   Joined 1.5 Years Ago  

Posted 31 March 2019 - 04:46 AM

I pre-ordered. Probably will cancel before release like the neo geo and PlayStation classic

#33 Super Strider TurbulenceEX   Son of the Old Gods CAGiversary!   654 Posts   Joined 1.5 Years Ago  

Super Strider TurbulenceEX

Posted 31 March 2019 - 04:55 AM

Sega has M2 doing emulation so there is no reason why this should turn out like PS Classic or the ATgames Genesis consoles.

#34 Jiryn   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   4437 Posts   Joined 10.2 Years Ago  

Posted 31 March 2019 - 05:37 AM

How many official Genesis "Clone" consoles have we had?
@Games made a crap ton, so I don't trust this very much.

#35 Shadowmoses12   CAG in Training CAGiversary!   1307 Posts   Joined 6.8 Years Ago  

Shadowmoses12

Posted 31 March 2019 - 05:53 AM

So apparently we cant import a pal version for their exclusive games

#36 Shadowmoses12   CAG in Training CAGiversary!   1307 Posts   Joined 6.8 Years Ago  

Shadowmoses12

Posted 31 March 2019 - 05:57 AM

How many official Genesis "Clone" consoles have we had?
@Games made a crap ton, so I don't trust this very much.

Cause at games isn't making this. They fired at games last year

#37 Jiryn   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   4437 Posts   Joined 10.2 Years Ago  

Posted 31 March 2019 - 06:01 AM

Cause at games isn't making this. They fired at games last year

Oh, I know they did but as others have said on this topic, we've been burned before.

#38 humbug43  

humbug43

Posted 31 March 2019 - 06:04 AM

So apparently we cant import a pal version for their exclusive games

I'm sure it will be on Ebay soon enough. Maybe cheaper or probably not lol

#39 spoderman  

Posted 31 March 2019 - 08:11 AM

They're already making mistakes that Sony made with the PS classic. Inferior controllers and japan gets 6 button controllers. Japan got a better game lineup with the PS classic, wouldn't surprise me if the same happens here. Having worse controllers is enough for me not to buy it, at least not the US version anyway

#40 josekortez   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   7220 Posts   Joined 16.0 Years Ago  

Posted 31 March 2019 - 10:18 AM

Sega has M2 doing emulation so there is no reason why this should turn out like PS Classic or the ATgames Genesis consoles.

I clicked the like button even though I said the same thing on the first page of this thread.

#41 NothingCreative   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   50 Posts   Joined 14.1 Years Ago  

NothingCreative

Posted 31 March 2019 - 11:59 AM

I’m so conflicted about the controller thing. Yeah, 6 buttons are better, but the 3 button is so iconic and relevant to the Genesis experience to me, at least. I didn’t care about having more buttons until Street Fighter II: Special Champion Edition.

#42 Moonbathing  

Moonbathing

Posted 31 March 2019 - 01:10 PM

Am I crazy or wasn't there already a Genesis mini released a few years ago?

#43 josekortez   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   7220 Posts   Joined 16.0 Years Ago  

Posted 31 March 2019 - 01:21 PM

Am I crazy or wasn't there already a Genesis mini released a few years ago?

You're not crazy.  ATGames has been releasing these things for years.  Last year or the year before that was the first time they included an HDMI connection, though.  The rumor is that this new one is officially released by Sega and not ATGames, so the expectation is that it will better (better emulation, better sound, no AV cable connection since no one in the U.S. is using a CRT TV these days).  M2 is the company behind the 3DS Genesis/Mega Drive releases, so they have a better pedigree than ATGames.  But, there's no way to know until it gets released whether it will suck or not.  That's why I would never preorder one of these things.  

#44 defpally   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1969 Posts   Joined 9.7 Years Ago  

defpally

Posted 31 March 2019 - 01:45 PM

Why is the controller not six buttons?!?

Probably because none of the games that are going to be on it require that.  Remember it came out very late in the era, and only a few games supported the six buttons.  People mostly liked it because of the superior gamepad.

Honestly, I'm fine with that.  There are much better ways to play Street Fighter 2 and Mortal Kombat, and Eternal Champions really isn't a very good game (outside of nostalgia some may feel for it).  I'd rather see them use the slots to add lots of shooters where the console really shined - not to mention the first ten is a promising start (minus games they really need to stop thinking people want like Altered Beast and Space Harrier 2).  Also, if they do add some Madden, it definitely needs to be the later ones and not the ice skating first one.  And I really hope they get some of their earlier Capcom ports on it - Ghouls n' Ghosts, Forgotten Worlds and Strider in particular.

#45 Josef   Touched the dead CAGiversary!   12908 Posts   Joined 15.7 Years Ago  

Posted 31 March 2019 - 01:54 PM

I'll only be picking this up if some decent 3rd party games are included.  Otherwise, I'm happy with my Sega Genesis Classics Switch cart and PS4 disc.

I don't like how they are not announcing all the games before taking preorders though.  Too similar to what Sony did. 

#46 addicted2games   游戏玩家为生活 !! CAGiversary!   4069 Posts   Joined 15.4 Years Ago  

addicted2games

Posted 31 March 2019 - 02:10 PM

I just got my Analogue Mega SG with all the authentic games in my collection to play on it. This is the best way to play Genesis on modern televisions. Hell, I still got my original Genesis 1,2, and 3 systems and have a HDretrovision component cable to hook the second model up to my hdtv through my Framemeister XRGB-Mini. I try to get the best picture out of my classic systems when possible. So, I am definitely on the fence about getting this new mini system.

#47 Rodster   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1849 Posts   Joined 13.5 Years Ago  

Posted 31 March 2019 - 02:30 PM

I'd wait for reviews first as the last retro console Sega released 1-2 yrs ago supposedly had emulation issues. Isn't the company who did the emulation for that machine was also hired for the Genesis Mini?

#48 kevlar51   eats babies CAGiversary!   1183 Posts   Joined 12.4 Years Ago  

Posted 31 March 2019 - 03:20 PM

I just got my Analogue Mega SG with all the authentic games in my collection to play on it. This is the best way to play Genesis on modern televisions. Hell, I still got my original Genesis 1,2, and 3 systems and have a HDretrovision component cable to hook the second model up to my hdtv through my Framemeister XRGB-Mini. I try to get the best picture out of my classic systems when possible. So, I am definitely on the fence about getting this new mini system.

I recently got an OSSC for my Genesis. Looks great. I’d considered the Mega SG but went for the OSSC instead since it can support other systems as well.

Have you seen any comparisons between the OSSC and the Mega SG?

#49 OldSchoolGaming4Life   CAG in Training CAGiversary!   738 Posts   Joined 6.8 Years Ago  

OldSchoolGaming4Life

Posted 31 March 2019 - 03:48 PM

I'd wait for reviews first as the last retro console Sega released 1-2 yrs ago supposedly had emulation issues. Isn't the company who did the emulation for that machine was also hired for the Genesis Mini?

It’s being made in-house, and the emulation is being handled by M2 this time. Nothing to worry about.

#50 Romeo   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   4534 Posts   Joined 16.1 Years Ago  

Posted 31 March 2019 - 04:22 PM

I’m so conflicted about the controller thing. Yeah, 6 buttons are better, but the 3 button is so iconic and relevant to the Genesis experience to me, at least. I didn’t care about having more buttons until Street Fighter II: Special Champion Edition.

This is what I don’t get. I don’t know if it’s ‘kids these days’ or just fools who like to complain. When I think of the PS classic or the original genesis, they didn’t have analog sticks or six buttons. To me it’s like complaining a ‘67 classic corvette doesn’t have satellite nav and auto parking built in. Well no shit it’s a classic, the original didn’t have those things!

#51 kevlar51   eats babies CAGiversary!   1183 Posts   Joined 12.4 Years Ago  

Posted 31 March 2019 - 05:13 PM

This is what I don’t get. I don’t know if it’s ‘kids these days’ or just fools who like to complain. When I think of the PS classic or the original genesis, they didn’t have analog sticks or six buttons. To me it’s like complaining a ‘67 classic corvette doesn’t have satellite nav and auto parking built in. Well no shit it’s a classic, the original didn’t have those things!

But a nav system on a 67 corvette is inherently aftermarket. Sony added analog sticks to the PSX mid-life and Sega added 3 more buttons to the Genesis controller mid-life for the console—both well before their respective next gen successors came out (unlike NES’s dogbone controller). Most consider the sticks and additional buttons to be improvements.

#52 Romeo   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   4534 Posts   Joined 16.1 Years Ago  

Posted 31 March 2019 - 05:48 PM

But a nav system on a 67 corvette is inherently aftermarket. Sony added analog sticks to the PSX mid-life and Sega added 3 more buttons to the Genesis controller mid-life for the console—both well before their respective next gen successors came out (unlike NES’s dogbone controller). Most consider the sticks and additional buttons to be improvements.

The same can be said for the revisions of the PlayStation consoles such as the slims. For me I would want the original, classic version to be true. Let subsequent iterations have the inprovements.

Perhaps an old vette wasn’t a good analogy. My point was everything tech improves with age. Cars get newer and better features, as do consoles. If I buy the classic version, I want the original.

#53 Super Strider TurbulenceEX   Son of the Old Gods CAGiversary!   654 Posts   Joined 1.5 Years Ago  

Super Strider TurbulenceEX

Posted 31 March 2019 - 06:04 PM

I'm honestly astounded at the mental gymnastic some of you guys are going through.

#54 Radewagon   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   72 Posts   Joined 13.4 Years Ago  

Radewagon

Posted 31 March 2019 - 07:01 PM

The same can be said for the revisions of the PlayStation consoles such as the slims. For me I would want the original, classic version to be true. Let subsequent iterations hahebthe inprovements.

Perhaps an old vette wasn’t a good analogy. My point was everything tech improves with age. Cars get newer and better features, as do consoles. If I buy the classic version, I want the original.

While I see what you are arguing for, I think the reason it's a sticking point for some (myself included) is that some of the included games make use of functionality that was added with the Analog Sticks and XYZ buttons respectively. 

For example: The PS Classic included Metal Gear Solid. MGS had some pretty great support for the original Dual Shock controller. Including the game but not the controller is a pretty dumb move. Moving on to the Genesis mini, one of the games that's already being listed is Comix Zone. Comix Zone makes excellent use of the 3 extra buttons by using them as a way to gain instant access to your items. 

In theory, I understand what your point is and even prefer it, however, in practice, your desire for the "classic" only works if the game libraries mirror the "classic" feel you are in favor of. If Sega wants to include only the 3 button controller, that's great. But if they do that, in an attempt to promote the classic Sega Genesis vibe, then they should also ignore late-era titles (like Comix Zone) that take full advantage of late-era peripherals that are not being included with the package. 

TLDR; Classic Peripherals only make sense if the included games don't offer support for late-era peripherals with added functionality. 

#55 defpally   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1969 Posts   Joined 9.7 Years Ago  

defpally

Posted 31 March 2019 - 07:04 PM

Supposedly they originally had AtGames doing it, and yes that should raise worries as they did the previous less than stellar attempts.  But now they have M2 working on the emulation, and they are pros.  Check out the 3DS and Switch Sega Ages games (both arcade and Genesis games), where they not only added great emulation, but also added new features, excellent 3D and in some cases extra levels.  They really seem to work to understand how the games work, not just do a pass and make them functional.

#56 briandadude   Vita + Xbox CAGiversary!   764 Posts   Joined 12.7 Years Ago  

briandadude

Posted 31 March 2019 - 07:12 PM

Preordered in case the rest of the game lineup is worthy. I expect I will cancel though but no harm in the meantime.

#57 chrislaustin   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   7322 Posts   Joined 14.0 Years Ago  

chrislaustin

Posted 31 March 2019 - 07:30 PM

Supposedly they originally had AtGames doing it, and yes that should raise worries as they did the previous less than stellar attempts.  But now they have M2 working on the emulation, and they are pros.  Check out the 3DS and Switch Sega Ages games (both arcade and Genesis games), where they not only added great emulation, but also added new features, excellent 3D and in some cases extra levels.  They really seem to work to understand how the games work, not just do a pass and make them functional.

Yeah, if I had any interest in this what so ever, I would have ZERO issues buying one for no other reason than M2 being involved. They absolutely killed those 3DS games, and made "N" look beyond pathetic in what they offered on their own "3D" based system. SEGA in no way has the reserves that "N" has, and M2 went above and beyond in regards to their classic games and making them the best they could be for the device in front of them.

As for the controllers, they should probably offer an option for one with 3 or one with 6(or even one of each). Those 3 button controllers are just about the worst controllers ever made(at least for me), while those small 6 button ones are probably the best ever made. Of course if Street Fighter, or other games aren't on the US edition, than it's a moot argument and then becomes only a preference issue.

I think this will rival the NES/SNES minis, as it needs to, as that is the bar that's been set, and since SEGA & "N" where fierce rivals at this time in history, it wouldn't look to good to offer a lesser product now. This also has USB controller ports, so the theory now is that you can use any classic controllers you want, which is cool if true, so the 3 vs. 6 may not be a big deal.

#58 addicted2games   游戏玩家为生活 !! CAGiversary!   4069 Posts   Joined 15.4 Years Ago  

addicted2games

Posted 01 April 2019 - 12:18 AM

I recently got an OSSC for my Genesis. Looks great. I’d considered the Mega SG but went for the OSSC instead since it can support other systems as well.

Have you seen any comparisons between the OSSC and the Mega SG?

I have yet to open my Mega SG as I have to rearrange my whole entertainment system and all the consoles and their hookups, which is a pain in the ass. (I am also so busy with family life with my 5 year old). I will get to redoing the whole thing and hooking up the Mega SG eventually.

I have read the OSSC is easier to use and has a better picture and less lag than the Framemeister with most sources. So I may go down that road and get myself one of those too. So I can't compare anything yet. Sorry.

#59 NFLGameDay97   Surveying the Field CAG Veteran   119 Posts   Joined 1.0 Years Ago  

NFLGameDay97

Posted 01 April 2019 - 12:28 AM

but japan got 6buttons in their version of this mini. go figure. oh well. 

n/a, doesnt matter.  some genesis classics require 6 buttons. all subjective. 

#60 An Orange Cat   Pet My Fur CAGiversary!   1287 Posts   Joined 11.9 Years Ago  

An Orange Cat

Posted 01 April 2019 - 12:57 AM

Amazon popped up today, so I went ahead and got it there.

Sega Genesis Mini - Genesis https://www.amazon.c...i_QhwOCbVYD3M9J