- - - - -

MCU Discussion - Did You Just Send Nick Fury to Voicemail?! *spoilers*

#31 gamegirlpocket   hope rides alone CAGiversary!   2437 Posts   Joined 3.5 Years Ago  

gamegirlpocket

Posted 08 May 2019 - 01:41 PM

This is what I'm talking about on YouTube. It's a minor spoiler to the movie but still it robs the viewer the laugh when its revealed.   20190508_090906.jpg

Your image posted upside down, but yeah, super obnoxious. I've had other things spoiled on Youtube through video titles and previews, like a huge plot point to the final season of TWD games. It's really frustrating, because I know better than to search for videos on things I haven't fully seen/played, but when they put it on the front page of the app, there's no way to avoid it.

#32 Navigator2001Plus  

Navigator2001Plus

Posted 03 July 2019 - 04:36 AM

Spider-Man: Far From Home spoiler discussion starts now!

I think it's crazy that some of the most bonkers stuff to happen within the MCU happened in the credit scenes for this movie. Was completely not expecting J.K. Simmons to reprise his role as J. Jonah Jameson (though I love that he did), and I never would have guessed the Skrulls would make an appearance in this. I think it's completely appropriate that Mysterio is the one to ruin Spider-Man's public image. Also, the trailers almost had me fooled with him in that I thought maybe the twist in the movie would be that he was legit a good guy.

#33 gamegirlpocket   hope rides alone CAGiversary!   2437 Posts   Joined 3.5 Years Ago  

gamegirlpocket

Posted 07 July 2019 - 08:58 PM

Just got back from Spider-Man. 

I liked:

-The intro with the school news broadcast and how they succinctly wrap things up to remind you that it's 5 years in the future from the previous film. The tone of the first 5 minutes sets expectations well, since Spider-Man has always been a more jovial character. Lots of tongue-in-cheek stuff, too (Betty Brant says something about starting a 'new phase').

-JK Simmons, obviously. Even if it's just a cameo and they don't make him a full presence in the MCU, I'm happy to see him reprise the roll.

-When Peter is on the plane generating a new suit and he's manipulating the holograms and talking to the AI just like Tony, and Happy just smiles at him. It feels like a ton of foreshadowing and maybe one of the most significant scenes in terms of where the character is going, even though it was so brief. 

-The explanations for how Mysterio pulled off his illusions work pretty well (in a comic book way, that is). Drones generating holograms to create massive monsters? Sure, why not. Plus, the trailers did a good job baiting us to think maybe he actually is a good-guy version of the character.

Indifferent:

-Mysterio mentions Earth-616 and talks about the multi-verse. We KNOW the primary Earth is 616, but Mysterio ended up being just a disgruntled former Stark employee. Are they actually going to do multi-verse stuff (which would be an easy, obvious way to get X-Men, Fantastic Four, etc into the MCU) and tie it into the Spider-Verse, or was that just some fan service?

-Fury was a Skrull the whole time? Well, a Skrull when he wasn't a hologram decoy? 

-The massive hologram hallucination scene in the abandoned building felt a little too much like fighting Mysterio in old Spider-Man games. The explanation for the elemental monsters seems fine, but without Peter taking some psychedelics ala the Scarecrow, it felt like too much. It looked cool, though.

-Curious about why they say 'blipped' instead of 'snapped.'

I didn't like:

-the pacing. Peter goes from talking in his hotel room to Nick Fury to being ON A BOAT in his costume without any explanation. What happened to trying to lay low? There is some serious time-lapse between scenes and it feels kind of jarring to jump from scene to scene. MCU is usually better about this. 

-He did a fine job with the role because he's a great actor, but Jake Gyllenhaal is too recognizable and I just see Donnie Darko every time I look at him. 

-There was almost too much humor and slapstick. All the MCU films have it and Spider-Man in particular, but it was pretty non-stop, to the point of it being distracting.

ALSO

May says she reappeared in her apartment, the same place she snapped from. Are we to assume everyone returned to the same place they disappeared? Does this mean people who were on airplanes reappeared in the sky, but without a plane? 

#34 DennisCP   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   33 Posts   Joined 7.4 Years Ago  

DennisCP

Posted 07 July 2019 - 10:21 PM

Personally it was my favorite live action Spider-Man movie.

-Fury was a Skrull the whole time? Well, a Skrull when he wasn't a hologram decoy? 

-Curious about why they say 'blipped' instead of 'snapped.'

ALSO

May says she reappeared in her apartment, the same place she snapped from. Are we to assume everyone returned to the same place they disappeared? Does this mean people who were on airplanes reappeared in the sky, but without a plane? 

I think it was just during the film/sometime after Endgame that he was a Skrull.

Besides the Avengers/GotG, would the rest of Earth know it was caused by Thanos snapping his fingers?

Could be Hulk just brought everyone back to the safest location near where they vanished.

#35 Navigator2001Plus  

Navigator2001Plus

Posted 07 July 2019 - 10:40 PM

Unless it's just a mistake, Fury was possibly a Skrull in Age of Ultron. The evidence for it is how he cuts his sandwich in the farmhouse scene, and him saying in Captain Marvel he can't eat toast if it's cut diagonally. If that's intentional, I wonder if it was planned all the way back then, or if they later noticed how he cut it and only at the time of making Captain Marvel decided to use it as a hint.

And yeah, I also assume that Hulk consciously told the stones to snap everyone back to the safest point near where they left, unless a later film shows people being snapped back into midair or says otherwise. The alternative is a little depressing.

Overall I love the film, but my one big gripe is that the villains in both MCU Spider-Man films originate from things that Tony did. They almost seem like they'd be more appropriate as Iron Man villains. They are demons of Tony's just like Killian in Iron Man 3, but instead poor Peter has to deal with the mess.

#36 Z-Saber   moon2S CAGiversary!   6354 Posts   Joined 14.5 Years Ago  

Posted 08 July 2019 - 03:00 AM

It makes sense from the perspective of Peter being the new Tony, though.

#37 Burning Karma   Ready for the mosh pit, shaka brah CAGiversary!   900 Posts   Joined 9.3 Years Ago  

Burning Karma

Posted 08 July 2019 - 08:40 PM

It makes sense from the perspective of Peter being the new Tony, though.

Definitely seems to be the way it's going. Kind of funny to me since Peter is still in high school.

#38 gamegirlpocket   hope rides alone CAGiversary!   2437 Posts   Joined 3.5 Years Ago  

gamegirlpocket

Posted 09 July 2019 - 12:44 PM

Definitely seems to be the way it's going. Kind of funny to me since Peter is still in high school.

I'm glad they aren't rushing him through high school the way the Sam Raimi films had him finish high school after the first film, but I agree, it's an odd fit. Maybe that's the point, though? 

It also seems like they may be going in a direction with him inheriting stuff from Stark to do the comic version of Peter where he's basically Steve Jobs and is a rich-ass inventor. I really hope that isn't it.

#39 Kojubat   Not a Pokémon CAGiversary!   1830 Posts   Joined 15.4 Years Ago  

Posted 10 July 2019 - 03:30 PM

-Mysterio mentions Earth-616 and talks about the multi-verse. We KNOW the primary Earth is 616, but Mysterio ended up being just a disgruntled former Stark employee. Are they actually going to do multi-verse stuff (which would be an easy, obvious way to get X-Men, Fantastic Four, etc into the MCU) and tie it into the Spider-Verse, or was that just some fan service?

He claims to be from Earth-833, which is a destroyed reality in the comicverse (albeit, a different cause of destruction). So it may have just been something lending an air of authenticity to try to mislead fans of the comics.

That being said, it is a somewhat safe way to introduce the concept for future use without going full Arrowverse Flash.

I didn't notice it, but supposedly in the background of the MJ midcredit scene, there is construction at Stark/Avengers Tower with signs that could be interpreted as a Fantastic Four hint. Or kicking off Phase 4. Or just random street background from filming.

#40 Navigator2001Plus  

Navigator2001Plus

Posted 12 July 2019 - 07:11 AM

I have an idea about how they could cleverly tie X-Men in, and I just realized I haven't posted it in here yet, so I may as well do that now so I can look like a genius if they actually end up going with my idea.

I think they will retcon things a bit and we'll find out that Wanda and Pietro Maximoff had dormant X-Genes and that exposure to the Mind Stone didn't directly grant them their powers. Instead, it activated their natural mutant abilities. It will turn out that mutants already existed in the MCU, but their numbers were so small that they didn't get much attention. Mutants like Magneto and Professor X will have already been around, along with a handful of others. Since WWII is getting even further from the present day, they'll probably change it so that just Magneto's parents were Holocaust survivors, and that he wasn't born until much later.

What will cause things to change drastically is that after Endgame, Earth has now been ground zero for three snaps of enormous cosmic power, and they can say that all of that energy activated a lot of people's dormant X-Genes, and this brings the X-Men into the light. Unless they do the multiverse explanation, I think this is the easiest way to fold in the X-Men and explain why no one had heard of them before now. I also really like this idea and would prefer it over a multiverse explanation.

As for the Fantastic Four, I think they'll just do an origin movie and have them get their powers in the "present day" of the MCU. I don't think there's any reason to have to do a multiverse thing with them.

And Deadpool is such a fourth-wall-breaking, meta character that they don't even need to change anything there if they don't want to. Just have Deadpool crack a joke about the whole thing and move on and Deadpool 3 can just take place in the MCU.

Or my guesses could be way off and they do something else entirely.

#41 gamegirlpocket   hope rides alone CAGiversary!   2437 Posts   Joined 3.5 Years Ago  

gamegirlpocket

Posted 12 July 2019 - 03:19 PM

I have an idea about how they could cleverly tie X-Men in, and I just realized I haven't posted it in here yet, so I may as well do that now so I can look like a genius if they actually end up going with my idea.

I think they will retcon things a bit and we'll find out that Wanda and Pietro Maximoff had dormant X-Genes and that exposure to the Mind Stone didn't directly grant them their powers. Instead, it activated their natural mutant abilities. It will turn out that mutants already existed in the MCU, but their numbers were so small that they didn't get much attention. Mutants like Magneto and Professor X will have already been around, along with a handful of others. Since WWII is getting even further from the present day, they'll probably change it so that just Magneto's parents were Holocaust survivors, and that he wasn't born until much later.

What will cause things to change drastically is that after Endgame, Earth has now been ground zero for three snaps of enormous cosmic power, and they can say that all of that energy activated a lot of people's dormant X-Genes, and this brings the X-Men into the light. Unless they do the multiverse explanation, I think this is the easiest way to fold in the X-Men and explain why no one had heard of them before now. I also really like this idea and would prefer it over a multiverse explanation.

As for the Fantastic Four, I think they'll just do an origin movie and have them get their powers in the "present day" of the MCU. I don't think there's any reason to have to do a multiverse thing with them.

And Deadpool is such a fourth-wall-breaking, meta character that they don't even need to change anything there if they don't want to. Just have Deadpool crack a joke about the whole thing and move on and Deadpool 3 can just take place in the MCU.

Or my guesses could be way off and they do something else entirely.

I really love that idea. Give this man a job!

It's too bad they couldn't have introduced Reed Richards at least, pre-powers, as a foundation for later stuff. It would have been nice to see him nerding out with Tony, although they could still use Bruce Banner as a conduit to introduce the science end of Fantastic 4. 

Whatever they do, I'm hoping they'll skip the detailed origin stories the way they did with Homecoming.

#42 vic_x51   World Warrior CAGiversary!   2253 Posts   Joined 11.2 Years Ago  

Posted 17 July 2019 - 07:57 AM

I didn't like the new spiderman movie. I didn't hate it but meh. Had a lot of cheesy scenes in it. I'm also sick of ironman. I went to watch a Spiderman movie not an ironman memorial service. Mysterio was fun, glad cave Johnson is jj again. Hate how so many people know Peter's identity even before the ending exposure. I thought it was a big deal to hide your identity, apparently not anymore. Civil war has been my favorite current Spiderman movie so far. Overall I still like the Toby movies a lot better.

#43 Z-Saber   moon2S CAGiversary!   6354 Posts   Joined 14.5 Years Ago  

Posted 17 July 2019 - 09:58 AM

That's a lot of hot takes.