- - - - -

Valuing older collectibles advice/service

#1 Vinny   Bang, bang... pew... CAGiversary!   22684 Posts   Joined 14.9 Years Ago  

Posted 06 May 2019 - 07:14 PM

My parents recently sold their old house (and they no longer live near me) so I no longer have access to free, easy storage and I've never been good about clearing things out and with it all piled up at my place, it's getting a little too much. I've long been all over the place when it came to collecting: comics, cards (both sports and TCGs), magazines, toys, and video games but never really stayed dedicated to any one area for more than a few years besides video games. But I need to thin things out a bit. 

So I'm just wondering, does anyone have any good advice on how to get this stuff looked and maybe getting an idea of something that's worth something? I don't have a list or anything (besides my Transformers, which I think I have a decent list for), so I was hoping there's some service that can look at some pictures of a large collection and point out items worth investigating. I'm not saying it needs to be a free service, I'd gladly pay a reasonable price for it. 

As a rough idea, I'd say I have the following: 

~150 comics (mostly 90s Marvel, which I know was like.. the dark ages for comics, most of these are in rough shape but given the popularity of super hero movies these days, maybe worth looking into) 

~500 sports cards (mostly basketball, mid 90s) 

~200 Marvel trading cards 

~300 Pokemon TCG cards (mostly from the early series) 

~100 Marvel TCG cards (can't remember what that game was called) 

~100 Transformers (a few loose G1s, but mostly boxed/MISB RiD and Armada) 

~30-40 various other misc action figures/plastic statues 

~300 gaming magazines (90s and 00s) 

About a year ago, I sold 8 issues of GameFan magazines and was shocked I got $95 for them. Since then, I've been meaning to get my stuff looked at before I donated/gave away anything. 

#2 Gideon68   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   2331 Posts   Joined 15.0 Years Ago  

Posted 07 May 2019 - 04:25 AM

As far as comics, being in the 90's and the rough shape they're in, they won't be worth much unless it's the first appearance or death of a character. The 90's was a bad time for both Marvel and DC as they flooded the market with new titles and millions of copies of each. And as you already know, condition is very important with comics.

#3 Vinny   Bang, bang... pew... CAGiversary!   22684 Posts   Joined 14.9 Years Ago  

Posted 07 May 2019 - 02:44 PM

As far as comics, being in the 90's and the rough shape they're in, they won't be worth much unless it's the first appearance or death of a character. The 90's was a bad time for both Marvel and DC as they flooded the market with new titles and millions of copies of each. And as you already know, condition is very important with comics.

Figures, I think I have a few that are in pretty good shape so maybe I'll just check those and dump the rest. I do have a bunch of the Transformers comics from the late 90s that I know I kept in pretty good shape (bagged/boarded since purchased) so maybe I'll check some of those. 

#4 62t   Zune Duck! CAGiversary!   19973 Posts   Joined 14.7 Years Ago  

Posted 07 May 2019 - 08:56 PM

The question is how much time you want to invest in taking the time in making the most profit versus getting rid of everything as quickly as possible.  Thats nice you got good money for GameFan but selling stuff as a lot and ship it in one box is a lot easier.

#5 Vinny   Bang, bang... pew... CAGiversary!   22684 Posts   Joined 14.9 Years Ago  

Posted 07 May 2019 - 09:12 PM

The question is how much time you want to invest in taking the time in making the most profit versus getting rid of everything as quickly as possible.  Thats nice you got good money for GameFan but selling stuff as a lot and ship it in one box is a lot easier.

That's honestly a good way of looking at it... the odds of me having something super valuable are probably pretty low. Maybe I'll just ration my time based on how much I spent on them in the first place. Comics were a few bucks each and the cards were from trading packs (also a few bucks each), maybe I'll just focus on my Transformers.