5 day rental for just $9 at Redbox (PS4 & Xbox One)

Redbox_Games

Official Representative
Redbox is running a pretty sweet deal right now on game rentals for both PS4 and Xbox One. You can get a 5 day rental for just $9. Usually rentals are $3 per night so this is a great time to try out some games you’ve been wanting to check out. Deal runs through 5/27. Here's the full list of the games included:

• Anthem
• Call of Duty: Black Ops 4
• Devil May Cry 5
• Fallout 76
• Far Cry New Dawn
• Just Cause 4
• Metro Exodus
• Monster Energy Supercross 2
• Tom Clancy’s The Division 2

I've got an even sweeter deal. Rent from Gamestop for a week for FREE by buying a used game and then returning it. Guaranteed far better selection than Redbox.

$9.00 for a 5 day rental? Yikes! I used to work at a rental store and I remember when people complained about $6 for seven nights.

Johnston306 is absolutely correct. The last few times I rented games from Redbox (about 3 years ago), there was just a paper copy printout of the disc, along with barcode. The actual disc had been stolen. Reported to Redbox and they didn't seem very concerned...just acknowledged that "it happens". Was going to do a consumer story with the local NBC station in my town about it but they had breaking news and had to cancel.

Needless to say, I don't rent games from Redbox anymore. According to online reports, this fraud has been going on for years.

[attachment=32218:redbox.jpg]

Last edited by a moderator:
I've rented many many times and haven't gotten this once. Don't know where you live, but I live in a shit hole area and still have never experienced this and don't know anyone who has.
So my math checks out. You get a real game I get a photocopy or maybe like last time a DVD-R... And like the guy above me, when you call them about it, it's routine to them, so yeah it happens.

Edit: Never had it happen for a movie, games only

So my math checks out. You get a real game I get a photocopy or maybe like last time a DVD-R... And like the guy above me, when you call them about it, it's routine to them, so yeah it happens.

Yeah, for some reason, this fraud issue doesn't seem to affect movies...not for me, anyway. I'm guessing thieves are just selling individual discs to Gamestop or online to make a quick buck on new game releases. BTW, the guy above said he lives in a bad area and never had this issue. In the past, I have driven to both good and bad areas in town because of kiosk game availability, and had fake paper copies in both locations.

I've had the fake paper game a few times...in so-so areas, but the cool thing is Redbox always honors the fraud claim and gives a refund. 

I've rented many many times and haven't gotten this once. Don't know where you live, but I live in a shit hole area and still have never experienced this and don't know anyone who has.
It's exaggerated for sure; definitely blows out of proportion when one person shares their experience somewhere online.

Johnston306 is absolutely correct. The last few times I rented games from Redbox (about 3 years ago), there was just a paper copy printout of the disc, along with barcode. The actual disc had been stolen. Reported to Redbox and they didn't seem very concerned...just acknowledged that "it happens". Was going to do a consumer story with the local NBC station in my town about it but they had breaking news and had to cancel.

Needless to say, I don't rent games from Redbox anymore. According to online reports, this fraud has been going on for years.

attachicon.gif
redbox.jpg
The situation's improved significantly compared to three years ago (that's a pretty long time) and we have way more measures in place to prevent it from happening. It fortunately doesn't happen as often & scammers for the most part seem to have come to realize it's not worth it - they always get caught.

We've been noticing significant improvement & it doesn't happen as frequently as some would believe; fact is that most customers don't report anything since they're pleased with the experience they set out to get.

I've had the fake paper game a few times...in so-so areas, but the cool thing is Redbox always honors the fraud claim and gives a refund.
Sorry to hear you've encountered it a few times, but happy to at least try to make the situation better.

My problem is now redbox won't accept any of my cards. I tried to purchase a used game a couple of weeks ago, and all 3 cards I tried gave me a "Card not approved for games" error. Searching online seems like a widespread issue. 

So since I can't purchase a game, I'm not going to try and rent one.

My problem is now redbox won't accept any of my cards. I tried to purchase a used game a couple of weeks ago, and all 3 cards I tried gave me a "Card not approved for games" error. Searching online seems like a widespread issue.

So since I can't purchase a game, I'm not going to try and rent one.
We can look into this to see what's up. If that's something you want to do, can you message me with your ZIP Code, the last 4 digits of one of the cards & the cardholder's name?

The situation's improved significantly compared to three years ago (that's a pretty long time) and we have way more measures in place to prevent it from happening. It fortunately doesn't happen as often & scammers for the most part seem to have come to realize it's not worth it - they always get caught.
Thanks for the info and that's good news. Good to hear the security measures have been improved from a few years ago and I do hope most of the scammers have been caught and prosecuted. Maybe at some point, I will try to rent again and hope for a better experience.

bread's done
Back