Free metalcase with preorder Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night (NS) BESTBUY

Well crap... I kickstarted this game years ago and my $60 copy isn't going to come with a steelbook that I'm aware of.  The steelbook looks pretty awesome too.

If the game's good enough, then maybe I'll see if I can just buy the steelbook later.

Just to be clear, its not an official steelbook, its something called a Novobox steel case.  In general the knockoffs are not as good as the original.

Still its a pretty good freebie that leaves me a bit salty for supporting the physical game in Kickstarter for almost double the money.

Damn. I kickstarted this game for ps4. I want the case as it looks cool but I can't justify buying it twice. Especially since I got the lrg bloodstained on ps4 and my exclusive backer slipcover from kickstarter for ps4 also.

It is so far and they listed the bonus last week. Having said that, the case itself has a disc spindle inside and nowhere to stick a Switch cart, so it makes no sense that they even are giving this as a bonus for the Switch version.

Apparently it has been confirmed by a rep of 505 games on reddit that the picture is incorrect along with the description. It will hold the switch cart.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Bloodstained/comments/bm2iwb/looks_like_gamecouk_as_well_as_ebgamescomau_are/emxmn8u/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=ios_app

But will the game be any good? MN9 had the same style high profile KS and flopped.
I can see this game getting 6-7s. Not terrible, but nothing remarkable about it either.
I plan to pre-order it but I'm using credit I have at crappy Walmart so I'm missing out on the steelbook. In any case I am worried about the quality of the game. I watched the most recent footage and while the visuals are looking better it seems like some of the effects have been dumbed down. That two-headed dragon battle also looked less than stellar.

The choice to go 2.5D was a poor decision. Curse of the Moon should have been bundled with it for more incentive.

Picked a copy up. Thanks OP. I agree that 2.5 D was a bad choice. Should have made it like SOTN. Still looks Like it will be a good game.

Last edited by a moderator:
Where did they say backers will get the steel case?
It's in the comments on Kickstarter.

Jose S. 5 days ago

So about those metal cases... we'll get it? right?

Angel CorluxCollaborator 5 days ago

Yep! Was able to make it happen. :) I'm just working on the final details with Fangamer and then we'll make an announcement. Hang in there.

I backed this for the PS4 version because at the time, I did not have a switch. I might pick up an additional copy at Best Buy for the switch since $32 with GCU isn't too bad of a price (plus I probably have some reward certificates I can use to bring the price down). Plus I'm a sucker for steelbooks.

Why was the decision to go with 2.5D compared to 2D a bad decision? I'm not sure I understand the difference between the two enough to know why one is better than the other. Does the 2.5D just mean that the background has more depth, but it's still a traditional side-scroller?

They just announced that it'll be limited to 800, and the "exclusive" Kickstarter DLC will no longer be exclusive and will be made available for $10 to everyone. So.. the only exclusive thing is the slipcase. Seems like a better deal to buy it from Best Buy

They just announced that it'll be limited to 800, and the "exclusive" Kickstarter DLC will no longer be exclusive and will be made available for $10 to everyone. So.. the only exclusive thing is the slipcase. Seems like a better deal to buy it from Best Buy
And the case costs $15.

Not what I was expecting to hear based on the Kickstarter quote.

Man, talk about screwing backers over. Much better off buying it in the store then backing it.
Thats what Im going to do. I have the KS ps4 version already I backed. So Ill get the switch from BB and just return the game and take the hit. Beats me hoping I find out about buying the case from KS too late and missing out since its only 800.

Wish backers could atleast have open orders for them at 10 bucks shipped since we backed it. But such as life.

There was no point in backing this, I hope I at least get the game on release day , and secondly I don’t have to wait for the soundtrack to ship separately.

Still don't understand why people back games up. Just seems like a waste of money to me. $350?!?! That's ridiculous. No judgment... Just sayin

Still don't understand why people back games up. Just seems like a waste of money to me. $350?!?! That's ridiculous. No judgment... Just sayin
In fairness, in the early days of crowdfunding for games, it was possible to get exclusive physical items as rewards that weren't otherwise available and retail releases were still pretty unusual for crowdfunded games. This game funded back in 2015 which was still pretty early on and well before the debacles like Mighty No. 9 poisoned the crowdfunding well.

Kind of lame that the case is only available for the Switch version, the Kickstarter update shows spots for both a Switch cartridge and disc.

As someone who didn't back the game, I'm pretty happy the extra content will be available for a price. I'd understand backers being upset if it was some kind of costume that was supposed to be exclusive, but it would be beyond stupid for a team to develop an entire boss and special weapon and not allow everyone to have access to it in some way. People like me are still going to have to pay extra for the content, and it will give more people an incentive to NOT pirate the game/DLC. The backers did have the option to vote, it looks like about 25,000 people responded and only 11% were completely against making the exclusive content available in some way.

https://bloodstained.forums.net/thread/3084/bloodstained-feedback-survey-results

If the more expensive physical rewards are sold separately, I think that would be much more justified if people were upset.

If it never said you get a metal case for kickstarter backing, I don't see why people are complaining about something that Best Buy is doing with their preorders.  It was never stated they were getting one when they backed it, and now they think they are entitled to something a retail store is doing after the kickstarter is over?

If it never said you get a metal case for kickstarter backing, I don't see why people are complaining about something that Best Buy is doing with their preorders. It was never stated they were getting one when they backed it, and now they think they are entitled to something a retail store is doing after the kickstarter is over?
Millennials brah what do you expect.

They really should stick to taking pictures of their food.

If it never said you get a metal case for kickstarter backing, I don't see why people are complaining about something that Best Buy is doing with their preorders. It was never stated they were getting one when they backed it, and now they think they are entitled to something a retail store is doing after the kickstarter is over?
I think it is mostly due to the feeling like a kick to the groin for people that backed it that retail buyers get something better than they do. Not that they are due anything other than promised, but they think they are entitled to it for "investing" in the product to help get it made. People need to stop thinking backing something will get you any sort of special treatment beyond exactly what is promised (and depending on the product maybe not even that).

Too bad the Switch version is confirmed by the devs to be 720p and capped at 30 fps

No steelbook case is going to make me buy the worst version of the game

If Best Buy would just offer the damn steel case for the PS4 version I would probably buy that since I backed the Switch version in the campaign. 

If only everyone who backed and is disappointed could go back in time and cancel their pledge so they could wait for retail, then they cou-
Wait a second. If these people hadn't pledged for the game, the game might have never been made. I guess maybe that would have been the better option? "If I can't have exclusive additional content, then no one should have anything!"

Just pre-ordered it though I'm still a bit unsure of the quality of this game since it has never impressed me.  I guess I'll at least have a couple of days to get impressions before I pick the game  up.

As far as backer discussion, I can see wanting more since a person backed it but at the same time the entire reason for backing is getting the game funded to make. After that the companies obligation is to make profit because your backing doesn't make profit, it's part of the cost.  So at that point they are trying to find ways to do that whether that is making DLC available for a fee or making it more desirable to purchase the game with a steel book.  Yes you are an investor but you are getting what you were promised to begin with.

Unless you pledged at least $60- nothing exclusive was promised. At $60 you are supposed to receive exclusive game content and a slip cover. There are many more physical bonuses for higher tiers. So there is really no legit argument that backing was meaningless when you’re getting what you asked for. There is a collectors box tier it looks like- depending on the success of the game- this one could be a good investment.

Unless you pledged at least $60- nothing exclusive was promised. At $60 you are supposed to receive exclusive game content and a slip cover. There are many more physical bonuses for higher tiers. So there is really no legit argument that backing was meaningless when you’re getting what you asked for. There is a collectors box tier it looks like- depending on the success of the game- this one could be a good investment.
The game content is no longer exclusive, it'll be $9.99 for everyone. I think that's the main thing people are upset about now

There is still an exclusive character skin - one of the original offerings -according to the emails from the dev team- unless they’re including that with the other content that was put up to a vote- backers chose to have that as add’l cost dlc.

Edit: Looks like ALL exclusive “digital”content will be in the DLC offered. Everyone gets all stretch goals so the post launch DLC is not exclusive either. How this affects anyone besides having the thrill of others being left out- I don’t know.

F me, really? Whyyyy do they always do this!
The Switch has way less power than Xbone and PS4, it's closer in specs to the 360/PS3/Wii U. If anyone considers buying a non-2D multi-platform game like Bloodstained for the Switch it should be based on the portability of that version or lack of other options and almost nothing else, since Nintendo's ecosystem is pretty far behind the competition still. Even old games take hits to make them work, like the Resident Evil 4 that just release does manage to mostly hit 60 FPS, but they had to lower the resolution to 900p.

Not to mention this game runs on Unreal Engine 4, which the Switch is known to struggle with. See Fortnite, MK11, Snake Pass...

There is still an exclusive character skin - one of the original offerings -according to the emails from the dev team- unless they’re including that with the other content that was put up to a vote- backers chose to have that as add’l cost dlc.

Edit: Looks like ALL exclusive “digital”content will be in the DLC offered. Everyone gets all stretch goals so the post launch DLC is not exclusive either. How this affects anyone besides having the thrill of others being left out- I don’t know.
A lot of people paid $60+ because they thought they were getting exclusive content. That would be why they're upset.

bread's done
Back