Walmart and Target no longer taking video games for trade in.

SueMana

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1 (100%)
Pretty much what the title states Walmart and Target are sadly no longer taking any video games for trade in. I am unsure why but it was always a good way to get $.25 cent per DS and newer titles. Target almost always had lower trade in values but this still hurts.

I wouldn't be surprised if BestBuy does the same thing since I don't see any used games in their stores anymore.
Doesn't Best Buy sell them through a online site or something or did they get rid of that site like they did Cowboom.com?

Seems they are using secondary market divisions to sell stuff. There are actually some good deals to be had.

They sell the refurbished items on their website.

They sell some open box items on their website as well as outsource some items to techliquidators and apparently their used video games go to a mystery third party.

WOW

https://www.techliquidators.com/tl/index.cfm?action=marketplace_main.auction&id=2093231

Last edited by a moderator:
Should have added more details they used the service Microsoft offered called Cexchange. Microsoft stores no longer take video games as trade ins as well which makes sense since Target and Walmart both used Cexchange. Best Buy on the other hand handles all of the products it has in house and resells them using various channels.

The slow burn of digital delivery.
This is part of the "industry" master plan to force us into a digital only marketplace so they can make even more profits since we can't trade/sell what we don't own! I noticed a trend with stores that sold used media going out of biz years ago like Blockbuster, Hollywood Video and a local chain Hastings. Once Gamestop folds that'll be the sign of the death of used games!

Shame, they were few and far between but I had several major trade-in scores and saves through those two.

- Had multiple trades worth as much or more than what I had paid thanks to GCU.

- Got over $80 for the Wii Xenoblade and some other game when Walmart had some insane trade-in bonus which required a manager (and four associates scratching their heads) to approve as the wording of the trade offer didn't match what was ringing up.

- Didn't care for Dragon's Crown Pro/wanted to wait on the digital version, got the same amount I paid for it with GCU at Walmart.

- There was like a B1G150% off on 3DS titles at Best Buy and I ended up getting Majora's Mask for $12 after GCU and trading in Xenoblade Chronicles 3D at Target.

Sad to see it end, but I don't really trade things in anymore, so it's not a huge loss. Plus there's always Craigslist!

This is part of the "industry" master plan to force us into a digital only marketplace so they can make even more profits since we can't trade/sell what we don't own! I noticed a trend with stores that sold used media going out of biz years ago like Blockbuster, Hollywood Video and a local chain Hastings. Once Gamestop folds that'll be the sign of the death of used games!
I can't tell if this is a joke or you seriously believe there's a conspiracy here

Shame, they were few and far between but I had several major trade-in scores and saves through those two.

- Had multiple trades worth as much or more than what I had paid thanks to GCU.
- Got over $80 for the Wii Xenoblade and some other game when Walmart had some insane trade-in bonus which required a manager (and four associates scratching their heads) to approve as the wording of the trade offer didn't match what was ringing up.
- Didn't care for Dragon's Crown Pro/wanted to wait on the digital version, got the same amount I paid for it with GCU at Walmart.
- There was like a B1G150% off on 3DS titles at Best Buy and I ended up getting Majora's Mask for $12 after GCU and trading in Xenoblade Chronicles 3D at Target.

Sad to see it end, but I don't really trade things in anymore, so it's not a huge loss. Plus there's always Craigslist!
All good things come to an end... I traded in over 80 copies of Titanfall 1 and made about $35 per copy the first week they did the 3x trade in credit. I also traded in over 50+ GameCube games that were scratched TO HELL for $30 each. Then 20-30 other random games? I used all this newfound money to buy my siblings and me three Xbox ones as well as some games. That was in 2014 and that $5000-6000 trade in credit served me well, I finally used the rest of it on my switch purchase in 2017.

All good things come to an end... I traded in over 80 copies of Titanfall 1 and made about $35 per copy the first week they did the 3x trade in credit. I also traded in over 50+ GameCube games that were scratched TO HELL for $30 each. Then 20-30 other random games? I used all this newfound money to buy my siblings and me three Xbox ones as well as some games. That was in 2014 and that $5000-6000 trade in credit served me well, I finally used the rest of it on my switch purchase in 2017.

e4a829e2-502a-42d4-898f-f3169442026b-bestSizeAvailable.png

Digital is increasing in market share, but the real reason is that people just prefer to sell their games on eBay/facebook marketplace or other websites to receive the most money possible instead of receiving pocket money.  ​

Why this makes no sense:

• Companies such as Walmart, Target often get large returns selling pre-owned items. Gamestop, for example, has made reselling an $800m business
  • Target and Walmart are not in cahoots, or in business, with companies such as EA, Ubisoft etc. If they were part of the "industry," they wouldn't be part of the "gaming industry." But the retailers are not part of the gaming industry, they are part of the "retail industry."
  • More importantly, Walmart, Target have third parties selling used items on its website in similar fashion to how third parties sell stuff on Amazon, eBay. That means the retailers get a cut each time one of these third parties sells something through its website, so it's likely that it makes more sense to have third parties sell used games on its website than the company itself.

Why this makes no sense:

• Companies such as Walmart, Target often get large returns selling pre-owned items. Gamestop, for example, has made reselling an $800m business
  • Target and Walmart are not in cahoots, or in business, with companies such as EA, Ubisoft etc. If they were part of the "industry," they wouldn't be part of the "gaming industry." But the retailers are not part of the gaming industry, they are part of the "retail industry."
  • More importantly, Walmart, Target have third parties selling used items on its website in similar fashion to how third parties sell stuff on Amazon, eBay. That means the retailers get a cut each time one of these third parties sells something through its website, so it's likely that it makes more sense to have third parties sell used games on its website than the company itself.
Also, if I read correctly, Sony is no longer going to be selling digital game code in b&m stores. Why would Target and Walmart purposefully send gamers away from their stores to Sony digital marketplace? The bottom line is that unless your entire business runs on used game sales the profit margin just isn't worth it.

Do the OG CAGs remember the Ni No Kuni flip to Walmart or the NBA 2k flip to Target?
I remember. It was ni no kuni for like 44$ or something. And slowly dropped once they started to realize you could get it for like 4-8$ everywhere else. I think gears of war 3 was also around that price as well trade in wise.

Also, if I read correctly, Sony is no longer going to be selling digital game code in b&m stores. Why would Target and Walmart purposefully send gamers away from their stores to Sony digital marketplace? The bottom line is that unless your entire business runs on used game sales the profit margin just isn't worth it.
I had thought that this was on Sony's end, not the retailer. Retailers will still sell currency, but not specific digital game codes per Sony's decision.

I had thought that this was on Sony's end, not the retailer. Retailers will still sell currency, but not specific digital game codes per Sony's decision.
correct but some people posting arent that intelligent, well i believe that walmart and target giving up their used sales is due to the third party company they both use, alot of it is sony, microsoft and nintendo pushing/forcing consumers to buy digital since u wont be guaranteed ownership at any point they decide and its more profit with that model since its more of paying for an expensive rental not owning

correct but some people posting arent that intelligent, well i believe that walmart and target giving up their used sales is due to the third party company they both use, alot of it is sony, microsoft and nintendo pushing/forcing consumers to buy digital since u wont be guaranteed ownership at any point they decide and its more profit with that model since its more of paying for an expensive rental not owning
Exactly! Had a doofus try to "debate" with me about a simple generalization along these same line. I didn't waste my time replying cuz they're a doofus.

I love the recent influx of new accounts getting mad that not every single word on the site is a specific deal dollar-off deal. Do people really think two nationwide retailers dropping their VIDEO GAME trade in programs are off-topic? Maybe stick to SlickDeals or something.

While I agree that getting upset about this is over exaggerated I also don't think this needed its own thread either.

You’re adorable, getting so upset over the location of a forum post. Go finish your homework and play outside for a while and you’ll feel better.
Oooh. A CAG Edgelord has spoken......

***Shudders***

***presses big red button on remote***

***summons 120 foot mech***

In deep robot voice: “I suggest you stick to blowing into Atari carts, brotato”

The slow burn of digital delivery.
That's exactly what this is about. Retailers are making less and less on game sales while digital distribution sales continues to increase YoY. Honestly for the last two years I have been purchasing more digital games than physical and especially now because of Microsoft Rewards.

Frankly, I wish discussions about gaming industry would get more visibility on CAG. I love talking shop, but posting elsewhere in forum gets little traction. 

Oooh. A CAG Edgelord has spoken......

***Shudders***

***presses big red button on remote***

***summons 120 foot mech***

In deep robot voice: “I suggest you stick to blowing into Atari carts, brotato”
Yo... What the fuck does this even mean?! Lmaooooo

I’ve been given the title of Edgelord and as such this thread is now my kingdom.

That or this kid STILL hasn’t finished his homework and is still fucking around online.

why buy the code for the game for $59.99 when you get buy a psn card and get it on the same exact digital store for $X.XX on sale

Good for them. People on this site only used them to take advantage instead of trading in unwanted games as the programs were intended. They weren't called "flipping" programs, they were called "trade in" programs.
huh, you had been gone for so long i thought you were dead...im disappointed.

bread's done
Back