* - - - - 2 votes

Google Stadia Founder's Edition - $129

#31 Ibacai  

Posted 08 June 2019 - 01:36 PM

The lack of iOS support kills it for me. I want to be able to take this anywhere and everywhere. And I don’t want to buy a Pixel.

#32 PandaJohnson  

PandaJohnson

Posted 08 June 2019 - 03:19 PM

So, I am not reading what y'all are seeing.
If you have the sub, you get access to free games.  Free being no more out of pocket.
If you have free, you have to buy the license for games you want to play.
 https://store.google...ounders_edition
(scroll down about half way to see the breakdown)

At the moment the only game that can be stream as part of the subscription package is destiny 2.

#33 defpally   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   2079 Posts   Joined 10.3 Years Ago  

defpally

Posted 08 June 2019 - 03:31 PM

So basically my entire monthly allotment of data.

Video gaming entities seem to think everyone has unlimited bandwidth.

Just like gamers assuming everyone *has* to game at 4k.  Lower resolutions have significantly lower bandwidth demands.  It is a cost vs. fidelity tradeoff, no different than when you are choosing parts for a gaming PC, or between the PS4/XB1S and PS4 Pro/XB1X.

#34 ValueSeeker  

ValueSeeker

Posted 08 June 2019 - 04:21 PM

Waiting for e3 (i.e., possibly new Xbox announcement) and PSX (i.e. possibly new PS announcement) before preordering. 

Being able to play this on Pixel devices or Chrome browser is a banger. 

So is the cheap entry.

But the question remains:

1. Blah blah, your controller is directly connected. PC Gamer noticed latency (not-so ideal condition). So can you, like, show us ideal condition performance? thx. 
  2. So multiplayer, are we actually cross-playing? Or are we going against all of 100 players that Stadia will have per game?

#35 jrr6415sun   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   3020 Posts   Joined 9.1 Years Ago  

jrr6415sun

Posted 08 June 2019 - 07:26 PM

So basically my entire monthly allotment of data.

Video gaming entities seem to think everyone has unlimited bandwidth.

this isn't for everyone and they don't expect everyone to get it, and you can get 720p with 10MB/s

#36 jrr6415sun   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   3020 Posts   Joined 9.1 Years Ago  

jrr6415sun

Posted 08 June 2019 - 07:29 PM

This.  You have to buy your own games and so you're basically just paying a subscription for the ability to stream.  They specifically said new games will need to be purchased so that means no new blockbusters in the list of free games; those free games are probably old or lame ones anyways.

you don't have to pay monthly. Just think about it as paying $50 for a controller and streaming instead of $400 for a console. Yea there are negatives, but there are positives too. Buying a game is the same as any other console so that's not a negative.

#37 ToddManG   The one with the cape CAGiversary!   254 Posts   Joined 16.2 Years Ago  

Posted 08 June 2019 - 07:41 PM

They're pushing the controller too with this deal but if the service is anything like the test I was in on pc you can use Chrome and any controller. Then the choice is pay for the gamepass like subscription, buy games straight up, or wait and play something for free

#38 jrr6415sun   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   3020 Posts   Joined 9.1 Years Ago  

jrr6415sun

Posted 09 June 2019 - 05:37 AM

I would also like to add that this is basically a portable console without having to carry around your PC or xbox. If you're going to a friends house/grandma's house you don't have to bring everything, just a controller and your chromecast. If you're going on a business trip it's a quick easy setup. 

From my understanding you can play on select phones and tablets as well which makes it even more portable.

I love physical games, but I understand the benefits of something like this and wouldn't mind having both options. 

#39 opportunity777   Disco Fever CAGiversary!   5242 Posts   Joined 16.7 Years Ago  

opportunity777

Posted 09 June 2019 - 11:07 AM

It transmits data faster than the human brain!  :bs:

$129 *NOTE OC backbone / data center not included--online experience may vary; trailers are a depiction of ideal circumstances, in a closed white-room environment and a 3 foot CAT7 crossover cable into a one-person server.

#40 Nax5   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   656 Posts   Joined 8.4 Years Ago  

Posted 09 June 2019 - 04:05 PM

This product scares me. I think it'll be mostly DOA the first time around. But if game streaming is the future one day...A website like CAG wouldn't even exist anymore.

#41 GangbangOrangutang  

GangbangOrangutang

Posted 09 June 2019 - 05:32 PM

I have it on pre-order as of now since they are not charging until it ships.

I think a lot of core gamers are not looking this the right way and this may not be for them.  This isn't meant for those that want to invest in hardware, they just want to play games.  With a new generation of consoles on the horizon we are looking at a $400-$500 hardware investment before we even buy a game.  Or you are looking at new upgrades for your gaming PC.  With Stadia I give them $10 a month for the right to play next generation games but I don't have to buy hardware. I just buy the games I want to play. I'm not overly worried about the connection issue since most of the impressions I've read from the Assassins Creed trial last year were mostly positive. My internet is fine, I get 145 MB/s and have no caps so I'm good in that regard.

With that being said there are still questions as far as the games.  What games are going to be included with the subscription?  What cost are the games that I buy? I'm expecting them to be cheaper since it's streaming and the game itself isn't be transferred to me. I'm thinking $20-$30 a game since when the Switch had a similar service in Japan, Capcom was charging $30 I believe.  

So it's the Rent-A-Center of gaming!  Can't buy all at once, pay over time.  Someone buying this already should have a badass connection.  I'll pass.  I want to own the games I "buy", not license them for an undetermined amount of time until google decides to shut down the servers.  Google is notorious for bailing on it's products. https://killedbygoogle.com/

#42 JustinSaneV2  

JustinSaneV2

Posted 11 June 2019 - 03:45 AM

Id think latency would be a big one.

Who wants 100ms lag?

I was a part of the PC beta and I was honestly surprised at how responsive the game was.  The controls were never an issue that jarred me to the realization I was streaming the game rather than playing it locally.  The only problems I really experienced were occasional drops in video quality.

#43 Count Van Ghoul   Past The Mission CAGiversary!   1155 Posts   Joined 16.7 Years Ago  

Count Van Ghoul

Posted 11 June 2019 - 08:51 PM

This product scares me. I think it'll be mostly DOA the first time around. But if game streaming is the future one day...A website like CAG wouldn't even exist anymore.

Which is every publisher's wet dream, they despise sites like this with every fiber of their being.