Game Dev Starter (Software Idea)

Grey Swordsman

CAGiversary!
Feedback
5 (100%)
I had a random thought about a tool that could help aspiring game developers get started. Here's what I came up with after building on that idea.

A program that stress tests computers in order to tell the user how demanding of a game they can make based on the performance of the test. Example: Old or low spec PC's would be able to create 8-Bit games. Program features would include recommendations for other free and paid software that you could use. An example of this is being able to run a specific 3D modeling application, alongside music and image editing software, with the option of toggling off and on showing purchasable apps. Detailed results would also show you your hardware specs (RAM, GPU, CPU etc) and give you a second batch of software recommendations that look good on paper. Both tests to check the performance and the system specs would advise the user which software their rig couldn't handle. This program would be freeware, and would never include sponsored recommendations from others trying to advertise their products.

Honestly, I don't even know if this would work, but I'm not interested enough in trying to learn another language in order to test it out myself. Just thought the idea was intriguing and wanted to share it.

This sounds like the sort of thing you could do with a website, as opposed to a specific program.

And realistically, the computer you are developing with is not as important for these sorts of test as the platform that you are planning on running the game on. A lot of games frequently get developed on high-end workstations, but run on laptops. This is part of the reason why I would recommend a website instead of a program. The website could have a relatively simple form where the user inputs the general specs that they are planning on targeting, and then the page could return the recommendations you described. (what "tier" of graphics they should go for, and links to associated programs and libraries)

It's not a bad idea, and could be pretty popular, especially with young developers looking to get a start. There are a number of similar guides on-line, but none of those that I've seen are structured like you are describing.

This sounds like the sort of thing you could do with a website, as opposed to a specific program.

And realistically, the computer you are developing with is not as important for these sorts of test as the platform that you are planning on running the game on. A lot of games frequently get developed on high-end workstations, but run on laptops. This is part of the reason why I would recommend a website instead of a program. The website could have a relatively simple form where the user inputs the general specs that they are planning on targeting, and then the page could return the recommendations you described. (what "tier" of graphics they should go for, and links to associated programs and libraries)

It's not a bad idea, and could be pretty popular, especially with young developers looking to get a start. There are a number of similar guides on-line, but none of those that I've seen are structured like you are describing.
Yeah, lol what was I thinking? It makes sense the way you put it though. Websites like "can you run it" and the rest of those sorta got the gist of it. Minus the sponsored ad stuff.

bread's done
Back