* * * * * 3 votes

TurboGrafx-16 Mini Retro Console (Amazon Exclusive : Pre-orders start July 15th)

#301 dschroll  

Posted 10 March 2020 - 07:50 AM

Back up for pre order

https://www.amazon.c...78f07a84d8&th=1

#302 ArugulaZ   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   1811 Posts   Joined 15.6 Years Ago  

Posted 10 March 2020 - 08:05 AM

Due for release on December 31st? Yikes. Guess I'm going back to my Genesis Mini...

#303 chrislaustin   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   7497 Posts   Joined 14.4 Years Ago  

chrislaustin

Posted 10 March 2020 - 11:24 AM

Due for release on December 31st? Yikes. Guess I'm going back to my Genesis Mini...

Normally whenever they have no clue on a release date within a year, December 31st is just a place holder until they can post the actual date. Of course this can often roll over to the next year in delay situations, and with this virus running crazy, 2021 isn't out of the question either. 

#304 Sigma   King of Strong Style CAGiversary!   4425 Posts   Joined 15.9 Years Ago  

Posted 10 March 2020 - 11:56 AM

Due for release on December 31st? Yikes. Guess I'm going back to my Genesis Mini..

Normally whenever they have no clue on a release date within a year, December 31st is just a place holder until they can post the actual date. Of course this can often roll over to the next year in delay situations, and with this virus running crazy, 2021 isn't out of the question either. 

Yeah, the 12/31 is definitely a place holder date and I would imagine we'd see them well before then, but you aren't wrong either 2021 certainly isn't out of the question at this point. Basically enough time for me to once again forget about the TG16 Mini and be surprised when I get charged the $$$ when it finally ships.

#305 soonersfan60   Longing for retro CAG... CAGiversary!   4440 Posts   Joined 14.7 Years Ago  

soonersfan60

Posted 11 March 2020 - 08:57 PM

$100 seems a bit high. I love the TG, but I'm spoiled by the prices of other minis.

#306 Richard Kain   The Kaiser CAGiversary!   2824 Posts   Joined 12.8 Years Ago  

Richard Kain

Posted 11 March 2020 - 09:49 PM

$100 seems a bit high. I love the TG, but I'm spoiled by the prices of other minis.

Most of the recent minis have been relatively priced, and several of them have had fewer games. I would easily agree that the PS1 Classic was not worth its price tag. But I think the TurboGrafx is a bit more reasonable, given how many games it is going to have, and given who is handling the emulation. I felt considerably better about paying for the Genesis mini.

You always have the option of waiting for a price drop. Supply has been consistent for all of the non-Nintendo mini systems. So a bit of patience will likely make the TG-16 available at some point for a reduced cost. If you do hold off, I would recommend keeping a sharp eye on it though. This is the sort of thing where they might clear it out fairly suddenly, and then never produce it again. If there is a major price drop, it probably won't last long. If in half a year or so, it drops to $60 or less, jump on that.

#307 dnl2ba   Inadvertent collector CAGiversary!   494 Posts   Joined 6.0 Years Ago  

Posted 12 March 2020 - 02:52 PM

I preordered a PC Engine from Amazon.co.jp by signing up for a Japanese Amazon Prime trial, but I had thought all versions of the TG16 would have the same games. I just saw that the PCE one won’t come with Salamander (Life Force), but the US TG16 will. NOOOOOO. Guess I’ll wait for the TG16 to have a steep discount (50% off or more).

#308 defpally   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   2055 Posts   Joined 10.2 Years Ago  

defpally

Posted 12 March 2020 - 04:11 PM

I preordered a PC Engine from Amazon.co.jp by signing up for a Japanese Amazon Prime trial, but I had thought all versions of the TG16 would have the same games. I just saw that the PCE one won’t come with Salamander (Life Force), but the US TG16 will. NOOOOOO. Guess I’ll wait for the TG16 to have a steep discount (50% off or more).

That's weird given it is a game that never came out in the US, yet it will be on the US one.  Maybe some sort of licensing issue, but given it is being made by Konaml who made the game that would be strange.

#309 Bosshog   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   39 Posts   Joined 14.3 Years Ago  

Posted 19 April 2020 - 12:00 PM

So this has been getting into the hands of reviewers, is this finally releasing? I cant find any info online.

#310 defpally   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   2055 Posts   Joined 10.2 Years Ago  

defpally

Posted 19 April 2020 - 12:09 PM

So this has been getting into the hands of reviewers, is this finally releasing? I cant find any info online.

Many of the reviewers got it from Amazon Japan.  They released it there, and even have the Turbographx version of the console as they have all three versions in that region since it was very popular.  It isn't shipping yet in the US, although the more mainstream reviewers are putting out reviews (namely IGN) and not just YouTubers it indicates they might know something about it.  There is no official word on it yet, though.

#311 Dr_dreadful  

Dr_dreadful

Posted 19 April 2020 - 01:38 PM

It is but I still pre ordered it and an extra controller.

But after it was confirmed snatcher would not be in English I cancelled mine. That one game was the tipping point for me being willing to pay that much, without it I'm not buying it. If the price drops to 40 or 50 dollars then I'll get one.

#312 HaloGX   DCGX CAGiversary!   995 Posts   Joined 14.8 Years Ago  

Posted 19 April 2020 - 04:30 PM

I received my Core Graphx preorder from Amazon Japan over two weeks ago. I really dig it. $100? That's debatable, but for someone like me, that never had the original system and whose TG16 experiences come from the Wii eShop, I think it's worth the price.

Though they should've included a second controller. At least the cord is lengthy, and I have no problem sitting on my couch where I normally sit. I can't tell if the turbo switches actually work though. They don't seem, to affect gameplay when active. The UI is really slick and has some really cool, little touches like how games load.

#313 315Retro   Westside Wizard CAGiversary!   1609 Posts   Joined 8.7 Years Ago  

Posted 19 April 2020 - 05:22 PM

So are these easily moddable? I have no interest in collecting physical turbo games which is rare for me. I'd like to have this semi official hardware loaded with all the games if I'm gonna bother to get one.

#314 defpally   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   2055 Posts   Joined 10.2 Years Ago  

defpally

Posted 19 April 2020 - 06:37 PM

So are these easily moddable? I have no interest in collecting physical turbo games which is rare for me. I'd like to have this semi official hardware loaded with all the games if I'm gonna bother to get one.

Well the software is done by M2, which did the Genesis Mini.  It took a while, but they finally hacked that.  Most likely it will take a bit of time, but I imagine similar techniques were used to secure it so it is only a matter of time.

And I doubt there will be the space available to load all the games.  You could probably load all the HuCard based games, but a lot of the best games for it are CD based.

#315 315Retro   Westside Wizard CAGiversary!   1609 Posts   Joined 8.7 Years Ago  

Posted 19 April 2020 - 08:05 PM

Thanks for the info! I didn't look into it much. I know some of these are running games off of USB sticks and stuff so I was hopeful. I'll pack whatever I can get onto it. I'm only familiar with bonk for the most part anyway.

#316 doctorwolf   CAG Newbie CAGiversary!   177 Posts   Joined 7.1 Years Ago  

doctorwolf

Posted 19 April 2020 - 08:20 PM

Thanks for the info! I didn't look into it much. I know some of these are running games off of USB sticks and stuff so I was hopeful. I'll pack whatever I can get onto it. I'm only familiar with bonk for the most part anyway.

Just give it time. Guaranteed this will be hacked by the Hakchi team or someone else at some point. In fact, I wouldn't even be surprised if hacks were already available by the time it finally comes out.

#317 defpally   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   2055 Posts   Joined 10.2 Years Ago  

defpally

Posted 20 April 2020 - 12:12 AM

Just give it time. Guaranteed this will be hacked by the Hakchi team or someone else at some point. In fact, I wouldn't even be surprised if hacks were already available by the time it finally comes out.

Oh yeah, I'm sure it will be.  The only issue is whether you will be able to use external media, which may or may not be possible (without total replacement of the internal code).  It was for the Playstation Classic, but requires either the controller port mod or an OTG cable.  Sony treated everything about that console like an afterthought, which is why they hacked is so quick and blew it wide open.

#318 z3razerviper  

z3razerviper

Posted 20 April 2020 - 01:19 AM

How are people getting this? I have had it preordered since the beginning but it does not show its shipping anytime soon.

NM, I guess people are getting it from japan

#319 DS9   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   493 Posts   Joined 14.6 Years Ago  

Posted 20 April 2020 - 02:30 AM

TG-16 USA is not shipping from Japan its the PAL/JP versions which I both have from amazon, if you see a USA TG-16 it must be from Konami review free handouts.

#320 z3razerviper  

z3razerviper

Posted 20 April 2020 - 03:28 AM

TG-16 USA is not shipping from Japan its the PAL/JP versions which I both have from amazon, if you see a USA TG-16 it must be from Konami review free handouts.

One of the youtube reviews said they ordered it from amazon japan and it was the us version. 

#321 bigbadboaz   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   354 Posts   Joined 16.5 Years Ago  

bigbadboaz

Posted 20 April 2020 - 05:21 AM

TG-16 USA is in fact available from Amazon Japan. Has been alongside both other versions almost from the start.

#322 chrislaustin   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   7497 Posts   Joined 14.4 Years Ago  

chrislaustin

Posted 20 April 2020 - 10:13 AM

Yep, I can confirm as well that Amazon Japan has been selling the US version of this device. And since supply chains are greatly delayed or shut down in some cases from Asia, Japan was closer to the source of these being produced, and is probably why they have it to sell and the US does not.

#323 Nintendonly   feck this shat CAGiversary!   1542 Posts   Joined 11.2 Years Ago  

Nintendonly

Posted 21 April 2020 - 05:37 AM

Why the hell can’t we buy the 3-pack, but we can buy them individually?

#324 soonersfan60   Longing for retro CAG... CAGiversary!   4440 Posts   Joined 14.7 Years Ago  

soonersfan60

Posted 21 April 2020 - 07:26 PM

I received my Core Graphx preorder from Amazon Japan over two weeks ago. I really dig it. $100? That's debatable, but for someone like me, that never had the original system and whose TG16 experiences come from the Wii eShop, I think it's worth the price.

Though they should've included a second controller. At least the cord is lengthy, and I have no problem sitting on my couch where I normally sit. I can't tell if the turbo switches actually work though. They don't seem, to affect gameplay when active. The UI is really slick and has some really cool, little touches like how games load.

The original TG-16 only shipped with one controller, and there was only one plug input to take the controller. In fact, you had to buy a "tap" accessory to play with 2 (or more) controllers.

#325 nightc1   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   3146 Posts   Joined 14.9 Years Ago  

Posted 21 April 2020 - 08:40 PM

Just an FYI but it's already been hacked and the team behind the hack is working on a pc tool to make it easy to mod.  It's not out in the public yet, but just know that it is getting close and all versions of this thing use the same board and programming, so get the one you like the looks of the most.   That is, if you are interested in expanding it's library.

#326 doctorwolf   CAG Newbie CAGiversary!   177 Posts   Joined 7.1 Years Ago  

doctorwolf

Posted 21 April 2020 - 09:09 PM

Just an FYI but it's already been hacked and the team behind the hack is working on a pc tool to make it easy to mod. It's not out in the public yet, but just know that it is getting close and all versions of this thing use the same board and programming, so get the one you like the looks of the most. That is, if you are interested in expanding it's library.

How big is the internal storafe for this? Given it has a bunch of CD games, I would have to imagine it's bigger than the other mini systems.

English patched YS IV and Dracula X - day one adds. Beyond Shadowgate, Neo Nectaris, Valis IV - so many great possibilities.

#327 bigbadboaz   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   354 Posts   Joined 16.5 Years Ago  

bigbadboaz

Posted 21 April 2020 - 11:35 PM

The original TG-16 only shipped with one controller

Not relevant. It's a $99 mini system and every mini $80 and up has shipped with two - even the PS Classic which inarguably had more expensive hardware.

Also, with them only offering white PC Engine controllers as accessories, they've basically gone out of their way to make sure TG and CoreGrafx buyers can't get a matching second controller. They should have been in the box.

#328 doctorwolf   CAG Newbie CAGiversary!   177 Posts   Joined 7.1 Years Ago  

doctorwolf

Posted 22 April 2020 - 12:22 AM

Not relevant. It's a $99 mini system and every mini $80 and up has shipped with two - even the PS Classic which inarguably had more expensive hardware.

Also, with them only offering white PC Engine controllers as accessories, they've basically gone out of their way to make sure TG and CoreGrafx buyers can't get a matching second controller. They should have been in the box.

Just skip two meals at Taco Bell and buy another controller. I know the name of the site is cheapassgamer, but holy cow.

#329 addicted2games   游戏玩家为生活 !! CAGiversary!   4204 Posts   Joined 15.9 Years Ago  

addicted2games

Posted 22 April 2020 - 12:26 AM

Just get this:

https://www.amazon.c...heapassgam08-20

edit - seems to go in and out of stock.

#330 bigbadboaz   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   354 Posts   Joined 16.5 Years Ago  

bigbadboaz

Posted 22 April 2020 - 04:30 AM

Just skip two meals at Taco Bell and buy another controller. I know the name of the site is cheapassgamer, but holy cow.

Reading comprehension. They do not offer controllers that match two out of the three models.

The package remains overpriced vs. everything comparable regardless. You can quit while you're behind now.