* * * * * 3 votes

TurboGrafx-16 Mini Retro Console (Amazon Exclusive : Pre-orders start July 15th)

#331 z3razerviper  

z3razerviper

Posted 22 April 2020 - 05:24 AM

Am i correct in seeing the 8bitdo controllers do not support the two different turbo speeds?

#332 doctorwolf   CAG Newbie CAGiversary!   204 Posts   Joined 7.3 Years Ago  

doctorwolf

Posted 22 April 2020 - 05:47 AM

Reading comprehension. They do not offer controllers that match two out of the three models.

The package remains overpriced vs. everything comparable regardless. You can quit while you're behind now.

I was obviously responding to your first paragraph. You know, the one you conveniently omitted from the quote above.

The second paragraph I didn't even feel the need to address because I thought you were ending with a joke or something. In my mind, there was no way someone could possibly really be crying over the color of a secondary controller.

#333 addicted2games   游戏玩家为生活 !! CAGiversary!   4269 Posts   Joined 16.0 Years Ago  

addicted2games

Posted 22 April 2020 - 11:52 AM

Am i correct in seeing the 8bitdo controllers do not support the two different turbo speeds?

Yeah it does look as if there is only one turbo speed. Didn't catch that when I ordered one. I still want it though.

#334 defpally   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   2077 Posts   Joined 10.3 Years Ago  

defpally

Posted 22 April 2020 - 12:37 PM

Reading comprehension. They do not offer controllers that match two out of the three models.

The package remains overpriced vs. everything comparable regardless. You can quit while you're behind now.

I'm not as bothered by the price as their game list is extensive and almost double what others offer.  The controller situation is a little bothersome though, they really should have added a second controller, although if you really look at the list most of the games are really single player stuff (except Bomberman of course, which to do that right you need FIVE controllers - ultimate party game).

What you said is what really bothers me.  I get these systems because I like they way they look like the originals, and not even offering a second matching controller is BS.  I can already do a patchwork looking system for TG16 on the Raspberry Pi and play every game on the list.  When you are getting these mini consoles for nostalgia, you want the look and feel to be right - and that includes the controllers.  So unless they offer a matching TG16 controller, I'll stick with just the one.  After all, it's just a standard USB controller and I'm sure most of the others will work just fine for play purposes (and the Mini TurboTap is likely just a USB hub, which is cheap and many already have one).  If you already have a Genesis or Sony Mini, I'm sure those controllers will work if you have a friend over.

#335 nightc1   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   3208 Posts   Joined 15.0 Years Ago  

Posted 22 April 2020 - 01:09 PM

How big is the internal storafe for this? Given it has a bunch of CD games, I would have to imagine it's bigger than the other mini systems.

English patched YS IV and Dracula X - day one adds. Beyond Shadowgate, Neo Nectaris, Valis IV - so many great possibilities.

It's not been revealed yet, to my knowledge, but if you watch pdub's video on youtube it shows several CD games that the people doing this added to their system.  So it must be at least big enough for a few CD games.

#336 bigbadboaz   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   362 Posts   Joined 16.6 Years Ago  

bigbadboaz

Posted 22 April 2020 - 09:51 PM

The second paragraph I didn't even feel the need to address because I thought you were ending with a joke or something. In my mind, there was no way someone could possibly really be crying over the color of a secondary controller.

Yet.. you address it anyway.

It's really quite unusual for hobbyists to be concerned with details, right? I guess they produced three different variants of an obscure 30-year-old console because no one they were selling to could be presumed to care whether they were getting CoreGrafx, TurboGrafx, or PC Engine items.

You're not concerned with saving money and you don't seem all that deep into the gaming. Why are you here?

#337 doctorwolf   CAG Newbie CAGiversary!   204 Posts   Joined 7.3 Years Ago  

doctorwolf

Posted 22 April 2020 - 10:06 PM

Yet.. you address it anyway.

It's really quite unusual for hobbyists to be concerned with details, right? I guess they produced three different variants of an obscure 30-year-old console because no one they were selling to could be presumed to care whether they were getting CoreGrafx, TurboGrafx, or PC Engine items.

You're not concerned with saving money and you don't seem all that deep into the gaming. Why are you here?

I own new in box TurboDuos and Turbo Express Portables (look up how much those are worth) and original copies of Dracula X and Ys IV. Without even going further, I guarantee that already nets me more "Turbo Credibility" than you, since that seems to be what you're interested in measuring.

And yet you don't hear me crying about the color of a secondary controller. The cable lengths are also about 7 feet longer than the originals. Why aren't you whining about that?

#338 bigbadboaz   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   362 Posts   Joined 16.6 Years Ago  

bigbadboaz

Posted 22 April 2020 - 10:46 PM

Congratulations on your very large penis.

#339 doctorwolf   CAG Newbie CAGiversary!   204 Posts   Joined 7.3 Years Ago  

doctorwolf

Posted 22 April 2020 - 11:54 PM

Congratulations on your very large penis.

Thank you! Enjoy your white PC Engine controller.

#340 hagz   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   108 Posts   Joined 10.9 Years Ago  

Posted 23 April 2020 - 02:10 PM

Just got email from Amazon:  release date changed to January 5th, 2021

#341 Sigma   King of Strong Style CAGiversary!   4425 Posts   Joined 16.0 Years Ago  

Posted 23 April 2020 - 02:17 PM

Just got email from Amazon: release date changed to January 5th, 2021

Same here. Hope that date is a mistake, if not I think I may try ordering one from Amazon Japan. January 2021 is rediculous.

#342 VoltaicOwl  

VoltaicOwl

Posted 23 April 2020 - 03:39 PM

Yeah, I'm thinking of ordering one from Amazon JP at this point.  I'm worried that it might not actually ever come here, or be hard to get when it does.

As far as the price goes...I've never played anything on the TG-16 Mini outside of a few minutes spent on commonly ported stuff like R-Type or Ghouls 'n Ghosts.  $100 is perfectly reasonable for the amount I would be getting.

#343 Strider Turbulence EX  

Strider Turbulence EX

Posted 23 April 2020 - 11:46 PM

Yeah, January of next year is insane. I want this thing now but I don't want to risk my US pre-order in case this gets hard to get ahold of.

#344 ashram   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1295 Posts   Joined 16.7 Years Ago  

Posted 24 April 2020 - 03:00 AM

Same here. Hope that date is a mistake, if not I think I may try ordering one from Amazon Japan. January 2021 is rediculous.

got that email too, but the moment it got delayed, the release date on the site changed to the very end of the year. Add to that the fact that even 2-day prime shipping is not 2 day at the moment, and I hope the delivery date given was just an automated thing.

#345 bigbadboaz   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   362 Posts   Joined 16.6 Years Ago  

bigbadboaz

Posted 24 April 2020 - 04:21 AM

The other thing to consider is that if they really do delay it that long, they may ultimately decide not to ship any over here at all. I'm not sure but I don't think the TG-16 version was originally going to be sold in Japan. What we're seeing sold on Amazon JP right now might end up being the only units that get produced.

#346 defpally   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   2077 Posts   Joined 10.3 Years Ago  

defpally

Posted 24 April 2020 - 04:42 AM

The other thing to consider is that if they really do delay it that long, they may ultimately decide not to ship any over here at all. I'm not sure but I don't think the TG-16 version was originally going to be sold in Japan. What we're seeing sold on Amazon JP right now might end up being the only units that get produced.

Let's not be so anxious to jump down that rabbit hole.  The release date as we all know was changed to 12/31/2020.  It's still like that.  That is a placeholder date because it is the last day of the year - a pretty safe bet when you have to plug in a value.  The January 5th thing triggered today for everyone because they are likely messing around with Prime delivery expectations on all products due to Covid-19 and it likely inadvertently affected these pre-orders.  If you notice most things have had their delivery dates adjusted recently, except what can be considered "necessities".  If you look at the product page, you will notice it still says December 31st, 2020 - the 5th date is just an estimate for delivery.

But regardless, it would be nice if Konami would make some kind of an update on these things.  Even if it is to say they can't give a specific date yet.

#347 Fades   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   435 Posts   Joined 14.6 Years Ago  

Posted 24 April 2020 - 05:21 AM

Sold out on Amazon Japan.

#348 bee01   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   676 Posts   Joined 15.8 Years Ago  

Posted 24 April 2020 - 06:55 AM

I ordered the TG-16 Mini from Amazon Japan on 4/23.  Curious to see how long it takes to get it with everything that’s going on.

EDIT:  Shipped about 10 hours after placing my order.  Estimated delivery date 4/28.

#349 chrislaustin   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   7525 Posts   Joined 14.5 Years Ago  

chrislaustin

Posted 24 April 2020 - 10:33 AM

Uh yeah, this isn't really how it works, as just because Japan is selling "NA" units, doesn't mean they came from the US allotment. The fact that this is even a thought, shows how out of wack most ideals are in this current world crisis. I hate to rain on anyone's parade, but these units are not really important on the global scale right now. And if and when they ship, even less so, as places are using most resources to provide the planet with much needed PPE.

Normally an item like this is shipped by boat(months before release), and just by nature, that is of course much slower than air mail, and probably was scheduled to arrive for the world launch. These units probably shipped right before all hell broke loose, and is probably sitting on a ship some place, or in a container on the docks. Customs doesn't care to bother inspecting or releasing these units, as it's not vital to saving human life at the moment. 

Of course these were ordered back when the world wasn't burning, so it's OK to be upset something you ordered isn't arriving when planned, but is this really whats important to anyone right now? If stuff I have coming doesn't arrive for years, so long as places are producing or shipping things for saving "life", than I'm OK with that. If anyone here is OK with 1 human life lost, so you can get a toy, then there's not much left to say.

I know most here don't want to discuss such topics(so apologies), as neither do I, as I would rather be going to the grocery store without wearing a condom over my whole body, but that's not reality anymore. The truth is nothing is happening right now, that is for the greater good, but once the TGE is needed more than toilet paper, I expect it to arrive straight away.

#350 defpally   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   2077 Posts   Joined 10.3 Years Ago  

defpally

Posted 24 April 2020 - 02:45 PM

Yeah, I'm a patient guy on this.  This really isn't a priority for manufacturers or shipping right now.  Given it is a single retailer over here it shouldn't really take all that long anyways - it makes the logistics a bit easier.  Many people don't realize the time it takes for things to come over by boat and go through customs, they can't just ship them and have them by the weekend, it take months sometimes.  Even by air (which Nintendo did with some early Switch shipments) is a ton more expensive and you still have customs delays.  Personally I'm thinking maybe Juneish for them to go out here.

If anyone is really impatient, go with a Raspberry Pi.  It runs all the games flawlessly (and depending on how bad Lords of Thunder actually is on the mini, maybe better in some cases).  You can play them all in the meantime.  I collect the mini consoles because of aesthetics, but still have a couple Pis to fill in the gaps.  And given I'm fond of the aesthetics, that's why the lack of a second controller option to match is a bit annoying.  Not really mad, more of a "wtf?" sort of thing.  It would have been nice, but hey whatever.  It's a missed sale opportunity for them, I'm not going to spend $25 on a two button USB controller that doesn't match anyways.

#351 n64ra   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   2607 Posts   Joined 12.9 Years Ago  

Posted 24 April 2020 - 06:45 PM

With me, Amazon is pretty notorious for picking dates way out there then delivering early. I ordered a toy for my child in early April. Amazon said August delivery. It arrived mid April.

#352 z3razerviper  

z3razerviper

Posted 25 April 2020 - 07:56 PM

I ordered the TG-16 Mini from Amazon Japan on 4/23. Curious to see how long it takes to get it with everything that’s going on.

EDIT: Shipped about 10 hours after placing my order. Estimated delivery date 4/28.

What was your total cost usd?

#353 JohnnySako   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   579 Posts   Joined 9.4 Years Ago  

JohnnySako

Posted 25 April 2020 - 09:30 PM

I purchased the PC-Engine Mini earlier this week and it was about $114 shipping included.

#354 bee01   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   676 Posts   Joined 15.8 Years Ago  

Posted 25 April 2020 - 11:12 PM

I also ordered a PC Engine Mini.  $225.72 total.

#355 IronChariot   In My Country There Is Problem CAGiversary!   3287 Posts   Joined 11.6 Years Ago  

IronChariot

Posted 27 April 2020 - 12:06 AM

For those getting another controller, are you going with an official one or 8bitdo?

#356 HaloGX   DCGX CAGiversary!   1010 Posts   Joined 15.0 Years Ago  

Posted 27 April 2020 - 02:57 AM

The 8bitdo is wireless, and I like the idea of the rounded edges. I don't really use turbo switches, so the 8bitdo for me. I have each of their controllers for my mini consoles and really like them (the Genesis pad especially).

#357 defpally   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   2077 Posts   Joined 10.3 Years Ago  

defpally

Posted 27 April 2020 - 12:21 PM

The 8bitdo is wireless, and I like the idea of the rounded edges. I don't really use turbo switches, so the 8bitdo for me. I have each of their controllers for my mini consoles and really like them (the Genesis pad especially).

The Genesis pad will almost certainly work on the TG16 Mini.  It's a pretty standard USB controller as I understand.  If you have a favorite pad and don't care about it matching look, use one that fits you better.  You probably aren't going to be using both consoles at the same times anyways.

#358 HaloGX   DCGX CAGiversary!   1010 Posts   Joined 15.0 Years Ago  

Posted 27 April 2020 - 12:51 PM

The Genesis pad will almost certainly work on the TG16 Mini.  It's a pretty standard USB controller as I understand.  If you have a favorite pad and don't care about it matching look, use one that fits you better.  You probably aren't going to be using both consoles at the same times anyways.

Then they need an update, because currently they do not. 

#359 defpally   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   2077 Posts   Joined 10.3 Years Ago  

defpally

Posted 27 April 2020 - 12:56 PM

Then they need an update, because currently they do not. 

Weird, what I have read is the TG16 Mini controllers were pretty standard 2 button USB pads.  I hope they haven't put in some silly security stuff to lock people into only the Hori options.

Maybe change the mode on the 8BitDo pads, I know you have to do that on some of their pads to get it to work on different things.  I have an M30 and I know some of that needed to be done for some things, but mostly it was for wireless use.

#360 Darkside Hazuki   Inextinguishable. CAGiversary!   1295 Posts   Joined 15.7 Years Ago  

Darkside Hazuki

Posted 27 April 2020 - 03:12 PM

I picked up a Core Grafx (for Salamander) from Amazon Japan (around $115) and received it in four days.

I love this little thing.