* * * * * 3 votes

TurboGrafx-16 Mini Retro Console (Amazon Exclusive : Pre-orders start July 15th)

#361 addicted2games   游戏玩家为生活 !! CAGiversary!   4270 Posts   Joined 16.0 Years Ago  

addicted2games

Posted 27 April 2020 - 03:14 PM

I am about to order from Japan and cancel my original Amazon pre-order.

edit - looks like I can only order the PC Engine  and Core Grafx ones right now. Different games, right? Plus I have a nostalgia for the TG 16 design.

#362 kevlar51   eats babies CAGiversary!   1201 Posts   Joined 13.0 Years Ago  

Posted 27 April 2020 - 03:37 PM

I went ahead and ordered the Core Grafx from Japan and will cancel the TG16 preorder. I'll order the 8bitdo TG16 controller.

Looking at the 8bitdo page, which shows all of the systems, I couldn't stomach the TG16 size--it's about twice as large as the PCE or CGE. That sealed it for me. I never had a TG16, so nostalgia is a bit limited.

If you have a credit card that doesn't charge exchange rates (Amazon Visa, for example), then order in Yen. You'll save about $4 because Amazon charges a premium on exchanging to USD.

#363 chrislaustin   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   7526 Posts   Joined 14.5 Years Ago  

chrislaustin

Posted 27 April 2020 - 04:23 PM

I went ahead and ordered the Core Grafx from Japan and will cancel the TG16 preorder. I'll order the 8bitdo TG16 controller.

Looking at the 8bitdo page, which shows all of the systems, I couldn't stomach the TG16 size--it's about twice as large as the PCE or CGE. That sealed it for me. I never had a TG16, so nostalgia is a bit limited.

I owned both systems originally, as the PCE was one of the first systems I ever imported, and then I got the TG16 sometime later, just so I could get an affordable CD drive(importing the PCE CD was to damn high). For me, the TG16 was butt ugly from day one, and if I was ever going to buy one of these mini's, the US version would be the last one I would even consider. As I couldn't stand it originally, and over time, I probably hate it even more, as it was changed for no good reason, outside of someone who didn't have a clue, making the call.

The Super Famicom was another one of my first imports, and that was another example of taking something that wasn't broke and fixing it for the US market. At the end of the day, the PCE was one of the best designed consoles I've ever seen, while the TG16 was probably the worst, so that model was beyond an easy pass for me. 

#364 kevlar51   eats babies CAGiversary!   1201 Posts   Joined 13.0 Years Ago  

Posted 27 April 2020 - 04:35 PM

The Super Famicom was another one of my first imports, and that was another example of taking something that wasn't broke and fixing it for the US market. At the end of the day, the PCE was one of the best designed consoles I've ever seen, while the TG16 was probably the worst, so that model was beyond an easy pass for me. 

My SNESmini is the EU version as well. Similar to TG16, I never owned a SNES (I was a Sega fanboy), so I have no nostalgic attachments to the purple color scheme. To me, both the controller and the system design schemes of the EU/Japan are far superior aesthetically.

#365 chrislaustin   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   7526 Posts   Joined 14.5 Years Ago  

chrislaustin

Posted 27 April 2020 - 06:52 PM

My SNESmini is the EU version as well. Similar to TG16, I never owned a SNES (I was a Sega fanboy), so I have no nostalgic attachments to the purple color scheme. To me, both the controller and the system design schemes of the EU/Japan are far superior aesthetically.

tenor.gif

#366 bee01   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   678 Posts   Joined 15.8 Years Ago  

Posted 27 April 2020 - 10:40 PM

Took 4 days after placing my order to receive my TG-16 from Amazon Japan.  It's been forever since I've seen a yellow DHL truck.

#367 redman77   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   299 Posts   Joined 16.6 Years Ago  

redman77

Posted 27 April 2020 - 10:55 PM

Broke down and ordered the TG-16 last Thursday, pretty much for Salamander and the turbo buttons on the controller. Love the look of the PCE, though. I usually get my stuff from Amazon Japan in 3-4 days, but this time it will take them 8 days, as I am scheduled to get my stuff on Friday. Got a game on a second order right after I ordered the TG-16 (combined shipping would have been the same as ordering separately), and it is also going to take 8 days. Not a big deal. I just hope DHL doesn't deliver it to the wrong address like they have a couple other times I have ordered from Amazon Japan. Apparently some DHL drivers struggle with literacy.

#368 IronChariot   In My Country There Is Problem CAGiversary!   3287 Posts   Joined 11.6 Years Ago  

IronChariot

Posted 28 April 2020 - 12:11 AM

Do you guys think this will be rare unlike the Genesis Mini? I was close to ordering one last night, but if it's likely to be discounted I'll probably hold off.

#369 addicted2games   游戏玩家为生活 !! CAGiversary!   4270 Posts   Joined 16.0 Years Ago  

addicted2games

Posted 28 April 2020 - 12:16 AM

I obviously don't know production numbers, but the Genesis was far more popular than the TG-16 ever was and the Genesis mini was around forever even starting at a cheaper price than the TG-16 mini. I would think the TG-16 mini will stick around to be put on sales later on.

Only thing to conflict this idea is if COVID 19 actually affects the production of the TG-16 mini and they don't make as many as originally intended.

#370 doctorwolf   CAG Newbie CAGiversary!   204 Posts   Joined 7.3 Years Ago  

doctorwolf

Posted 28 April 2020 - 01:15 AM

Broke down and ordered the TG-16 last Thursday, pretty much for Salamander and the turbo buttons on the controller. Love the look of the PCE, though. I usually get my stuff from Amazon Japan in 3-4 days, but this time it will take them 8 days, as I am scheduled to get my stuff on Friday. Got a game on a second order right after I ordered the TG-16 (combined shipping would have been the same as ordering separately), and it is also going to take 8 days. Not a big deal. I just hope DHL doesn't deliver it to the wrong address like they have a couple other times I have ordered from Amazon Japan. Apparently some DHL drivers struggle with literacy.

How tough is it to order through the japanese website? Can I use existing credit on the US one, or is it like signing up for an entirely different entity?

#371 Darkside Hazuki   Inextinguishable. CAGiversary!   1295 Posts   Joined 15.7 Years Ago  

Darkside Hazuki

Posted 28 April 2020 - 01:29 AM

I am about to order from Japan and cancel my original Amazon pre-order.

edit - looks like I can only order the PC Engine  and Core Grafx ones right now. Different games, right? Plus I have a nostalgia for the TG 16 design.

The Core and the TG16 have the same content, and Salamander (Life Force) is unique to those consoles. The PC Engine has two games (Tokimeki Memorial and Tengai Makyō II: Manji Maru) that are not on the Core/TG16, and the uncensored version of Splatterhouse. 

#372 Darkside Hazuki   Inextinguishable. CAGiversary!   1295 Posts   Joined 15.7 Years Ago  

Darkside Hazuki

Posted 28 April 2020 - 01:32 AM

How tough is it to order through the japanese website? Can I use existing credit on the US one, or is it like signing up for an entirely different entity?

It's easy, just change the language option to EN at the top of the page. Keep in mind that doesn't translate the product listings. 

You will have to create an entirely separate account. 

#373 skiizim   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   10181 Posts   Joined 11.8 Years Ago  

Posted 28 April 2020 - 05:19 AM

use google chrome to translate, does a good job.

#374 defpally   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   2079 Posts   Joined 10.3 Years Ago  

defpally

Posted 28 April 2020 - 01:28 PM

This is true, the SNES EU/JP definitely looks better, but it doesn't look like what I had back in the day.  I still think nostalgia is part of the factor, and looks matter for that, even if it didn't look as good as other regions.  Completely personal opinion though.  I'm going with the TG16 instead of Core for this reason.  It's bigger, clunkier but it is what I remember.

I obviously don't know production numbers, but the Genesis was far more popular than the TG-16 ever was and the Genesis mini was around forever even starting at a cheaper price than the TG-16 mini. I would think the TG-16 mini will stick around to be put on sales later on.

Only thing to conflict this idea is if COVID 19 actually affects the production of the TG-16 mini and they don't make as many as originally intended.

One factor to consider for this is this mini is retailer exclusive to Amazon (at least in the US).  It isn't going to languish in high value retail space, and that is often what drives prices down.  Retailers need to use space for merchandise that will move.  Also with an exclusive, that retailer has incentive to keep prices up, they aren't competing on it and they need to recoup the premium they paid for keeping it exclusive.  It also keep the volume down since it isn't spread across the country.

#375 Ketsui   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1369 Posts   Joined 13.4 Years Ago  

Posted 28 April 2020 - 03:45 PM

How do i see on Amazon Japan whether it can ship to the US or not?

#376 z3razerviper  

z3razerviper

Posted 28 April 2020 - 04:06 PM

when i was looking I saw multiple listings and am am not sure which one to use as well. 

#377 nightc1   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   3211 Posts   Joined 15.0 Years Ago  

Posted 28 April 2020 - 07:33 PM

Also with an exclusive, that retailer has incentive to keep prices up, they aren't competing on it and they need to recoup the premium they paid for keeping it exclusive.  It also keep the volume down since it isn't spread across the country.

IMO, this is retailer exclusive not because it was a paid exclusive, but because it wasn't popular enough a system to get Walmart, Target, and others in on it.  Same for back in the day the only store that had the TG16 in my area was an hour away at a Toys R Us.  Selling at one store and doing preorders should make it easier to determine production size so it's possible this won't be overproduced.   So it's a win for the publisher that might have done a sony classic flop and it's a win for Amazon declaring it exclusive.

#378 doctorwolf   CAG Newbie CAGiversary!   204 Posts   Joined 7.3 Years Ago  

doctorwolf

Posted 28 April 2020 - 07:41 PM

Seems weird to even be theorizing about price breaks for something made available for purchase a year ago that you still can't even get through normal channels.

#379 VoltaicOwl  

VoltaicOwl

Posted 28 April 2020 - 08:06 PM

There's no difference between the TG-16 Mini and the CoreGrafx Mini except form factor and controller color, correct?  It doesn't output at 50Hz or something dumb like that?

#380 redman77   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   299 Posts   Joined 16.6 Years Ago  

redman77

Posted 29 April 2020 - 12:52 AM

There's no difference between the TG-16 Mini and the CoreGrafx Mini except form factor and controller color, correct?  It doesn't output at 50Hz or something dumb like that?

Correct. Exact same thing except for form factor and controller color.

#381 bradbo   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   1104 Posts   Joined 12.3 Years Ago  

Posted 29 April 2020 - 05:08 AM

TG 16 was ugly and not desirable. They’ve made it sexy and people want it. Give the marketing team raises.

#382 z3razerviper  

z3razerviper

Posted 29 April 2020 - 05:23 AM

TG 16 was ugly and not desirable. They’ve made it sexy and people want it. Give the marketing team raises.

I never thought it was ugly and I wanted one as a kid. I think the Genesis was the nicest looking console however. 

#383 Richard Kain   The Kaiser CAGiversary!   2827 Posts   Joined 12.9 Years Ago  

Richard Kain

Posted 29 April 2020 - 03:48 PM

I never thought it was ugly and I wanted one as a kid. I think the Genesis was the nicest looking console however. 

It wasn't as ugly as many here would have you believe. But it also wasn't particularly attractive either. And if you took the plastic cover off of the back portion of it, it looked kind of awkward.

And as so many have said before, it does look a little long in the tooth compared to its Japanese counterpart, the PC Engine. The PC Engine is near legendary for being small, sleek, and compact. It's Hu-Card game storage format allowed it to have an insanely small footprint for the time, and its compact size made especially popular in its native Japan, where it did very well. The bloated size it got in the U.S. was due to U.S. manufacturers having some obsession with making video game systems seem larger and bulkier. It happened to several other systems around the same time.

#384 addicted2games   游戏玩家为生活 !! CAGiversary!   4270 Posts   Joined 16.0 Years Ago  

addicted2games

Posted 29 April 2020 - 04:00 PM

I dont think the TG-16 is ugly. So many systems just are basically squares sometimes with smooth edges, etc. At least it was different. Most of you probably dont know what this is, but my first system takes the cake for ugliness - Intellivision.  The color was ugly and the controllers were the worst in history.

Intellivision-Console-Set.jpg

#385 shoplifter   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   14 Posts   Joined 16.6 Years Ago  

shoplifter

Posted 29 April 2020 - 04:51 PM

I dont think the TG-16 is ugly. So many systems just are basically squares sometimes with smooth edges, etc. At least it was different. Most of you probably dont know what this is, but my first system takes the cake for ugliness - Intellivision.  The color was ugly and the controllers were the worst in history.

Intellivision-Console-Set.jpg

This was actually pretty stylish at the time it came out. It matched up with the 'wood grain' everything. In the end, yeah the controllers weren't great but the industry didn't have a standard to work from quite yet. Those side buttons did suck though. I just wish I still had all of my overlays. 

#386 ashram   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1296 Posts   Joined 16.7 Years Ago  

Posted 29 April 2020 - 05:28 PM

My inner child is hurt by this comment. Now sure, once you add the CD drive setup the system was a monstrosity, but still a great little system that wasn't ugly (got mine as a gift in middle school, I hat a choice between a used TG-16 with turbo booster, turbo tap, 3 controllers and 3 games or an NES) with it's own classics that surprisingly demand an insane premium now (looked up some of the games I have and was shocked)

Would have loved a Valis game or 4 on this, but those rights were sold off to an adult game maker and will probably stay dead :(

#387 chrislaustin   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   7526 Posts   Joined 14.5 Years Ago  

chrislaustin

Posted 29 April 2020 - 05:40 PM

This was actually pretty stylish at the time it came out. It matched up with the 'wood grain' everything. In the end, yeah the controllers weren't great but the industry didn't have a standard to work from quite yet. Those side buttons did suck though. I just wish I still had all of my overlays. 

Yeah, I agree, this was pretty well styled to the times, and fit very well along other competitors of the era. It's all a personal preference for sure, but in the case of the PCE, they took was probably the coolest looking system in gaming up to that point, and took the "cool" away. So while I owned the TG16, I only bought it to get the CD rom drive cheap, as to import the PCE CD, was a promise of your first born to your selected retail location. LOL 

#388 realbigexplosion   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   1739 Posts   Joined 12.5 Years Ago  

realbigexplosion

Posted 29 April 2020 - 05:50 PM

All the people in this thread are making me feel weird for only caring about what games I can play on the thing.

#389 doctorwolf   CAG Newbie CAGiversary!   204 Posts   Joined 7.3 Years Ago  

doctorwolf

Posted 29 April 2020 - 06:31 PM

For how bad everyone thinks the TG16 looked, the TurboDuo more than redeemed itself in that area. One of the coolest looking systems ever made.

#390 addicted2games   游戏玩家为生活 !! CAGiversary!   4270 Posts   Joined 16.0 Years Ago  

addicted2games

Posted 29 April 2020 - 08:58 PM

I remember having my high school friends come over to play my TG16 because they all had the Genesis, which I did as well. I was trying to show off the graphics of Legendary Axe even though the gameplay was meh. LOL