* * * * * 3 votes

TurboGrafx-16 Mini Retro Console (Amazon Exclusive : Pre-orders start July 15th)

#391 crackadon  

crackadon

Posted 30 April 2020 - 03:03 AM

All the people in this thread are making me feel weird for only caring about what games I can play on the thing.

Right? I'm excited to play a bunch of rare shoot-em-ups and platformers.

Couldn't care less about the design of the system tbh.

#392 IronChariot   In My Country There Is Problem CAGiversary!   3382 Posts   Joined 12.4 Years Ago  

IronChariot

Posted 30 April 2020 - 05:35 AM

Decided to preorder with the power adapter. Should be fun. I have HappyConsoleGamer to thank for getting me interested in some of these games (although I had played Ys previously). Didn't even hear of the system until probably early '00s.

#393 315Retro   Westside Wizard CAGiversary!   1680 Posts   Joined 9.6 Years Ago  

Posted 30 April 2020 - 10:19 AM

So do I want the core or the pc engine? Can someone link directly to the one yall recommend since the US one is sold out on Japan Amazon? Thanks!

Edit: also - are the menus only Japanese?

#394 chrislaustin   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   7712 Posts   Joined 15.4 Years Ago  

chrislaustin

Posted 30 April 2020 - 11:58 AM

So do I want the core or the pc engine? Can someone link directly to the one yall recommend since the US one is sold out on Japan Amazon? Thanks!

Edit: also - are the menus only Japanese?

They all have language options I believe, and you can set the UI to the region of choice as well. So the PCE can run it's UI like the TG16, and from what I've seen, these were probably the most thought out of any, even "N" mini's. They have a CD sound load screen to mimic booting up the CD drive, that is way cool. So these are almost by design for fans of different regions, or even the models for that matter.

EDIT: So no matter the model you buy, it can be enjoyed aesthetically as you remember it. So it really comes down to buying the one you think looks best, as how they function has options to be changed.

#395 315Retro   Westside Wizard CAGiversary!   1680 Posts   Joined 9.6 Years Ago  

Posted 30 April 2020 - 12:46 PM

Awesome thanks much! I may hold out for a USA release but I guess I can take comfort in knowing I have options. Hopefully they keep stock for a week or two.

#396 defpally   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   2265 Posts   Joined 11.1 Years Ago  

defpally

Posted 30 April 2020 - 01:36 PM

They all have language options I believe, and you can set the UI to the region of choice as well. So the PCE can run it's UI like the TG16, and from what I've seen, these were probably the most thought out of any, even "N" mini's. They have a CD sound load screen to mimic booting up the CD drive, that is way cool. So these are almost by design for fans of different regions, or even the models for that matter.

EDIT: So no matter the model you buy, it can be enjoyed aesthetically as you remember it. So it really comes down to buying the one you think looks best, as how they function has options to be changed.

Keep in mind there are minor game differences between the Core/TG and the PC Engine.  Mainly the uncensored Splatterhouse isn't on the TG/Core and the arcade version of Salamander (Lifeforce) isn't on the PC Engine.  Also the PC Engine has a couple of other obscure titles you likely won't care about.

#397 chrislaustin   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   7712 Posts   Joined 15.4 Years Ago  

chrislaustin

Posted 30 April 2020 - 01:43 PM

Keep in mind there are minor game differences between the Core/TG and the PC Engine.  Mainly the uncensored Splatterhouse isn't on the TG/Core and the arcade version of Salamander (Lifeforce) isn't on the PC Engine.  Also the PC Engine has a couple of other obscure titles you likely won't care about.

Yeah, I figured most would know of those differences, as they had been discussed at lengths in this thread, but always good to pass such info along for those who missed it.

#398 kevlar51   eats babies CAGiversary!   1210 Posts   Joined 13.9 Years Ago  

Posted 30 April 2020 - 01:59 PM

I ordered the CoreGrafx from Japan on Sunday and it'll be delivered tomorrow (Friday)--five days sooner than projected. That's pretty impressive. Whenever I order stuff from EU it takes a couple weeks.

#399 defpally   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   2265 Posts   Joined 11.1 Years Ago  

defpally

Posted 30 April 2020 - 02:16 PM

Yeah, I figured most would know of those differences, as they had been discussed at lengths in this thread, but always good to pass such info along for those who missed it.

Not to mention it is information that is easily found, even the official site shows the differences.  The only caveat to that that some might miss is the arcade Salamander (Lifeforce) which is a hidden game that is accessed from a button combination.  The hidden games are different on the PC Engine Mini and the TG/Core.

#400 trinken wir   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   459 Posts   Joined 12.0 Years Ago  

trinken wir

Posted 30 April 2020 - 05:05 PM

I dont think the TG-16 is ugly. So many systems just are basically squares sometimes with smooth edges, etc. At least it was different. Most of you probably dont know what this is, but my first system takes the cake for ugliness - Intellivision. The color was ugly and the controllers were the worst in history.

Intellivision-Console-Set.jpg

My first console as well. High end wood panneling!

#401 defpally   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   2265 Posts   Joined 11.1 Years Ago  

defpally

Posted 30 April 2020 - 05:50 PM

My first console as well. High end wood panneling!

You know the cool kids had the Sears version of the Intellivision they picked out from the Sears Catalog. :)

Sears-Tele-Games-Super-Video-Arcade-Inte

#402 RagManX   Complete Doofus CAGiversary!   202 Posts   Joined 16.1 Years Ago  

Posted 01 May 2020 - 03:34 PM

Original release date for this was just after my birthday, so I ordered it as a birthday present to myself last summer. Now, I'm having to decide whether to wait *forever* for the US release or just order from Japan. Can't decide how urgently I want this. Still going to get it, just a matter of when. Thanks to everyone who has shared information about the device and availability.

#403 pbfluff   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   937 Posts   Joined 12.8 Years Ago  

Posted 01 May 2020 - 11:00 PM

i remember visiting canada (niagara falls) and there was a video game demo event and it was the turbo grafix 16. :D i played it before it launched and only recall one friend that owned it.

I was colecovision, nes, then snes personally.

snes i bought with my own money (spent an hour in the store deciding between snes or genesis)

Plenty of friends with Genesis (played sonic, mutant league football, mk1, nhl hockey, etc)

One friend had over 100 genesis games...i was so jelly lol

#404 crewj   whoo! CAGiversary!   1349 Posts   Joined 16.1 Years Ago  

Posted 02 May 2020 - 02:17 AM

So.... are they releasing a mini turbo express soon? 😉

#405 Ketsui   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1461 Posts   Joined 14.2 Years Ago  

Posted 02 May 2020 - 11:21 AM

Went ahead and ordered the core grafx in yen. Cant wait to play it!

#406 Tendoboy   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   244 Posts   Joined 17.3 Years Ago  

Tendoboy

Posted 02 May 2020 - 02:11 PM

You know the cool kids had the Sears version of the Intellivision they picked out from the Sears Catalog. :)

I actually have that one in the box....damn it’s ugly

#407 VoltaicOwl  

VoltaicOwl

Posted 12 May 2020 - 02:11 AM

It looks like the TG-16 Mini is back in stock on Amazon JP.

Now I'm torn on whether to get the Coregrafx (which I think looks a bit cooler) or the TG (which feels more important historically to the US).

#408 bigbadboaz   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   428 Posts   Joined 17.4 Years Ago  

bigbadboaz

Posted 12 May 2020 - 02:30 AM

Does size make a difference to you? Could be the major differentiator as the Core is a real mini while the TG is the only "mini" that could actually pass for a standard console.

#409 VoltaicOwl  

VoltaicOwl

Posted 12 May 2020 - 03:27 AM

Does size make a difference to you? Could be the major differentiator as the Core is a real mini while the TG is the only "mini" that could actually pass for a standard console.

Nah, I'm not too worried about the size.  In fact, I just went ahead and ordered the TG-16 mini.  I hadn't pulled the trigger on Amazon JP all this time while the Coregrafx was available, so I guess this is what I was waiting for.  I'm a sucker for that late 80's/early 90's clunky design anyway.  :P

#410 MSUHitman   former Checkmate Arcade Co-Host CAGiversary!   15014 Posts   Joined 14.9 Years Ago  

Posted 12 May 2020 - 03:37 AM

So.... are they releasing a mini turbo express soon?

No but one of the graphics filters is viewing it through a virtual Turbo Express screen.

#411 bigbadboaz   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   428 Posts   Joined 17.4 Years Ago  

bigbadboaz

Posted 12 May 2020 - 03:42 AM

Nah, I'm not too worried about the size.  In fact, I just went ahead and ordered the TG-16 mini.  I hadn't pulled the trigger on Amazon JP all this time while the Coregrafx was available, so I guess this is what I was waiting for.  I'm a sucker for that late 80's/early 90's clunky design anyway.  :P

Cool, I did the same. You should enjoy it.

#412 gunstar808   Capitalism, Ho! CAGiversary!   1232 Posts   Joined 14.1 Years Ago  

Posted 12 May 2020 - 09:47 PM

Are the controllers on the PC Engine non turbo?

That may be another consideration. I had a TG16 growing up, and definitely made use of the turbo function.

#413 chrislaustin   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   7712 Posts   Joined 15.4 Years Ago  

chrislaustin

Posted 12 May 2020 - 09:56 PM

Are the controllers on the PC Engine non turbo?

That may be another consideration. I had a TG16 growing up, and definitely made use of the turbo function.

Yes, I believe the US/EU come with the "turbo" on the controllers, as that's how they originally launched, while the PCE was just standard at launch. So all 3 appear as they originally did, in there region of origin.

#414 NeloDiavolo   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   429 Posts   Joined 11.6 Years Ago  

NeloDiavolo

Posted 12 May 2020 - 10:10 PM

I was just about to buy the PC Engine version from Amazon Japan, but now I'm tempted to grab the TG-16 model since I have no idea when my US pre-order is going to ship. I also pre-ordered two 8bitdo TG/PCE wireless controllers. It would be nice to play them on the mini console sooner than later.

#415 z3razerviper  

z3razerviper

Posted 13 May 2020 - 05:21 AM

The ship date on my 8bitdo controllers is schedules for the 22nd. I wonder it the tg16 will be shipping soon as well?

#416 defpally   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   2265 Posts   Joined 11.1 Years Ago  

defpally

Posted 13 May 2020 - 04:54 PM

Who else sees new posts in this thread and goes "Ooh, maybe they started shipping in the US", but end up disappointed? :)  If so, I guess I'm guilty of doing that as well now ...

If they restocked in Japan, one would think they are back in production and hopefully out here in the not too distant future.

#417 nightc1   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   3570 Posts   Joined 15.9 Years Ago  

Posted 13 May 2020 - 05:59 PM

I don't expect news about the NA release of this every time the thread is bumped. Just figure someone got one from japan and wanted to discuss it.  In this case, controllers are shipping ahead of the release which is interesting.

#418 Ketsui   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1461 Posts   Joined 14.2 Years Ago  

Posted 14 May 2020 - 12:06 AM

Love my core grafx. Cant wait for the mod to be released

#419 defpally   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   2265 Posts   Joined 11.1 Years Ago  

defpally

Posted 14 May 2020 - 06:27 PM

Don't know if anyone noticed, but they quietly added a release date on the US Amazon page.  

This item will be released on May 22, 2020.

My order still says arriving Jan. 5th 2021, but also lists the release date as May 22nd.

#420 VoltaicOwl  

VoltaicOwl

Posted 14 May 2020 - 06:33 PM

Oh good grief.  Mine from Japan is expected to arrive tomorrow.  I could have just waited a week and not paid an extra $10 and clogged up international shipping routes.   :roll: