* * * * * 3 votes

TurboGrafx-16 Mini Retro Console (Amazon Exclusive : Pre-orders start July 15th)

#571 kevers7290   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   347 Posts   Joined 8.4 Years Ago  

kevers7290

Posted 22 June 2020 - 08:22 PM

Finally got fed up with waiting and just ordered a TG16 from Amazon Japan. I was considering buying one of the AWD units but decided against it for several reasons. If it arrives in bad condition it's a $100+ dollar return which is a red flag for an Amazon ban.

Also, how can AWD charge above MSRP on these? I thought the MSRP was $99.99 and they're selling "used--acceptable" units for ~ $105 and "used--good" ~ $115. Isn't this technically illegal?

Anyways, happy to have scored a brand new one direct, it worked out to be only about five dollars more than if I had purchased one new from Amazon US at MSRP, shipping included. Can't wait to dig into the library!

#572 MSUHitman   former Checkmate Arcade Co-Host CAGiversary!   14797 Posts   Joined 14.1 Years Ago  

Posted 23 June 2020 - 02:13 AM

Finally got fed up with waiting and just ordered a TG16 from Amazon Japan. I was considering buying one of the AWD units but decided against it for several reasons. If it arrives in bad condition it's a $100+ dollar return which is a red flag for an Amazon ban.

Also, how can AWD charge above MSRP on these? I thought the MSRP was $99.99 and they're selling "used--acceptable" units for ~ $105 and "used--good" ~ $115. Isn't this technically illegal?

Anyways, happy to have scored a brand new one direct, it worked out to be only about five dollars more than if I had purchased one new from Amazon US at MSRP, shipping included. Can't wait to dig into the library!

Amazon and Walmart allow 3rd party sellers on their website. Those sellers can charge whatever they want for non-essential items. If the demand is higher than the supply, then items cost more.

#573 dracula   i'll buy that for a dolla CAGiversary!   5071 Posts   Joined 16.4 Years Ago  

Posted 23 June 2020 - 02:34 AM

Amazon warehouse is different from a reseller. Items have a manufacturers suggested price, but I always figured the suggested retail price was just a suggestion. I bought one in good condition from awh for 114. It’s silly for Konami to produce too few of these

#574 TimPV3   I don't play games, I play GameStop CAGiversary!   3030 Posts   Joined 15.3 Years Ago  

Posted 23 June 2020 - 05:34 AM

Amazon warehouse is different from a reseller. Items have a manufacturers suggested price, but I always figured the suggested retail price was just a suggestion. I bought one in good condition from awh for 114. It’s silly for Konami to produce too few of these

I assumed Amazon Warehouse would sell the 3rd party sellers' inventory that was damaged in the warehouse, so they're knocking a percent off of what the 3rd party was selling it for. I don't know shit about shit, though.

#575 kevers7290   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   347 Posts   Joined 8.4 Years Ago  

kevers7290

Posted 23 June 2020 - 11:26 AM

Amazon and Walmart allow 3rd party sellers on their website. Those sellers can charge whatever they want for non-essential items. If the demand is higher than the supply, then items cost more.

I am aware that third-party sellers can charge what they want. I am referring to "Amazon Warehouse Deals" (AWD). It's a division of Amazon's sales and as far as I can tell, that does not classify them as a third-party. It's an outlet for Amazon to sell used and returned merchandise. That would be like Walmart taking a return on a Nintendo Switch that they sold for $300 and putting it back on the shelf for $350. From what I understand, this is illegal, i.e. retailers (technically) can not sell an item above its MSRP.

#576 z3razerviper  

z3razerviper

Posted 23 June 2020 - 01:22 PM

I am aware that third-party sellers can charge what they want. I am referring to "Amazon Warehouse Deals" (AWD). It's a division of Amazon's sales and as far as I can tell, that does not classify them as a third-party. It's an outlet for Amazon to sell used and returned merchandise. That would be like Walmart taking a return on a Nintendo Switch that they sold for $300 and putting it back on the shelf for $350. From what I understand, this is illegal, i.e. retailers (technically) can not sell an item above its MSRP.

I dont think its Illegal...unethical yes....I could see how it violates contracts.

#577 dracula   i'll buy that for a dolla CAGiversary!   5071 Posts   Joined 16.4 Years Ago  

Posted 24 June 2020 - 06:30 PM

When the mod is released expect the USB ports to be unlocked. The Neo Geo X stick should work then.

I don't have a neo geo x stick, https://www.amazon.c...3020519&sr=8-17

Will this work with the neo geo mini, and how do you unlock the turbografx mini to use this stick?  Or should I get something else?  I mostly want a stick for shooters, I don't play that many of the fighting games.  

OK the neo geo x arcade stick is a cheap knockoff, this is a first party controller, from neo geo that will work with the mini, but apparently not with the tg 16 mini.  

https://www.amazon.c...0389475351&th=1

I'd love a stick that would work good with the tg 16 for all of the shooters.  I bought a 20 dollar hori switch controller that does work with the tg 16 mini, and will test it out tomorrow when my tg mini arrives, if I think I'd like the neo arcade stick, I will go ahead and get that as well, but jeez 160 dollars is a bit much.

#578 Xellos2099   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   3588 Posts   Joined 16.6 Years Ago  

Posted 24 June 2020 - 09:04 PM

How much did it cost you?

#579 kevers7290   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   347 Posts   Joined 8.4 Years Ago  

kevers7290

Posted 25 June 2020 - 12:54 AM

How much did it cost you?

12290 yen. They're still in stock and available from Amazon Japan.

#580 Xellos2099   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   3588 Posts   Joined 16.6 Years Ago  

Posted 26 June 2020 - 05:17 PM

12290 yen. They're still in stock and available from Amazon Japan.

How much is the total ship to usa?  Also, is there difference between this and pc engine mini and core grahpix mini

#581 kevers7290   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   347 Posts   Joined 8.4 Years Ago  

kevers7290

Posted 27 June 2020 - 02:02 AM

How much is the total ship to usa?  Also, is there difference between this and pc engine mini and core grahpix mini

12290 yen was the total shipped price. Turbografx and Core are the same aside from aesthetic differences. PC engine has different games, Wikipedia has a chart to help you decide.

https://en.wikipedia...boGrafx-16_Mini

#582 zaxxon2000   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   262 Posts   Joined 10.5 Years Ago  

zaxxon2000

Posted 03 July 2020 - 09:39 PM

You can order from Amazon now for mid July delivery. $99.99. No link. You know how to find it.

#583 tylerdurden10   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   373 Posts   Joined 12.1 Years Ago  

tylerdurden10

Posted 04 July 2020 - 04:40 AM

You can order from Amazon now for mid July delivery. $99.99. No link. You know how to find it.

I don't see it available on Amazon (only re-sellers). What am I missing? 

#584 chrislaustin   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   7573 Posts   Joined 14.6 Years Ago  

chrislaustin

Posted 04 July 2020 - 10:32 AM

I don't see it available on Amazon (only re-sellers). What am I missing? 

Anytime you see post like that for Amazon, just assume it's gone if it's no longer showing, as once info like that, hits a board like this, it never last long.

#585 dracula   i'll buy that for a dolla CAGiversary!   5071 Posts   Joined 16.4 Years Ago  

Posted 05 July 2020 - 10:42 PM

I’ve been playing this like crazy. Is there any chance Konami makes a part 2? Legendary axe 1 and 2, Ys 3 and 4, devils crush, bonk 3, super air zonk, beyond shadow gate , dungeon explorer 2, macross 2036, macross love song, gate of thunder, exile 1 and 2, vastest 1 and 2, neo nectaris

That is off the top of my head. Put all of those games on one system and I’d be a happy man put half on USA and half on pc engine .

Is there a way to mod the tg 16 mini like the snes mini?

#586 defpally   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   2090 Posts   Joined 10.4 Years Ago  

defpally

Posted 06 July 2020 - 12:46 AM

I’ve been playing this like crazy. Is there any chance Konami makes a part 2? Legendary axe 1 and 2, Ys 3 and 4, devils crush, bonk 3, super air zonk, beyond shadow gate , dungeon explorer 2, macross 2036, macross love song, gate of thunder, exile 1 and 2, vastest 1 and 2, neo nectaris

That is off the top of my head. Put all of those games on one system and I’d be a happy man put half on USA and half on pc engine .

Is there a way to mod the tg 16 mini like the snes mini?

You are probably best off looking for a Raspberry Pi based solution if you want more.  I'm not sure if they have hacked it yet, but you are probably going to run into space issues given many of the best TG16/PC Engine games are on CD - although an OTG connected USB Drive for more space (like with the PS Classic) might be an option eventually.  And I really doubt they make a new one.

#587 romeogbs19   Henshin A Go-Go Baby! CAGiversary!   2877 Posts   Joined 16.8 Years Ago  

romeogbs19

Posted 06 July 2020 - 02:12 AM

I don't see anything illegal about it. AWD is probably a separate business entity of Amazon so any contracts the company has to abide by with manufacturers probably doesn't apply. Alternatively, AWD can charge what it wants for used items. Really no differrent from what Gamestop does and has done on certain games.

#588 defpally   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   2090 Posts   Joined 10.4 Years Ago  

defpally

Posted 06 July 2020 - 10:03 PM

I don't see anything illegal about it. AWD is probably a separate business entity of Amazon so any contracts the company has to abide by with manufacturers probably doesn't apply. Alternatively, AWD can charge what it wants for used items. Really no differrent from what Gamestop does and has done on certain games.

Not to mention MSRP where the "S" means "suggested".  Stores can charge more for items, and they really only get in trouble with the law when they are necessities and run afoul of price gouging laws (food, water, gas, etc.).  It's not uncommon in some mall stores in prime, heavy traffic locations to add a few dollars premium to items.  The Electronics Boutique I worked in back in college many times would be a couple dollars more on some popular games because we had a center of the mall location near a major entrance, whereas Babbage was over in a recessed corner.  It happens less these days because companies have basically settled on pretty standard pricing and markups are more noticed by customers.

The main risk is consumer and manufacturer backlash.  Consumers don't like feeling cheated, and manufacturers often have contracts preventing stores from selling above or below certain levels without permission.

#589 kingotnw   The Devil! CAGiversary!   222 Posts   Joined 11.6 Years Ago  

kingotnw

Posted 06 July 2020 - 11:20 PM

Anytime you see post like that for Amazon, just assume it's gone if it's no longer showing, as once info like that, hits a board like this, it never last long.

I think it lasted about a week after it hit the board if you were willing to buy the packaged deal. I was pissed Splatterhouse wasn’t in it so I passed. I regret doing so now.

#590 bigbadboaz   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   368 Posts   Joined 16.7 Years Ago  

bigbadboaz

Posted 07 July 2020 - 12:50 AM

"In" the mini? Splatterhouse has always been part of the US game set.

#591 Banspam  

Posted 09 July 2020 - 02:09 PM

On March 6th, TheVerge said this:

"The TurboGrafx-16 Mini, a retro revival of the classic Japanese gaming console ..., has been delayed due to the coronavirus outbreak, Konami announced today."

(Can't post links yet.)

#592 MSUHitman   former Checkmate Arcade Co-Host CAGiversary!   14797 Posts   Joined 14.1 Years Ago  

Posted 09 July 2020 - 06:04 PM

On March 6th, TheVerge said this:

"The TurboGrafx-16 Mini, a retro revival of the classic Japanese gaming console ..., has been delayed due to the coronavirus outbreak, Konami announced today."

(Can't post links yet.)

It was available on Amazon Japan in April and Amazon US preorders shipped in May. There was a brief window in June when Amazon US still had inventory, but now they are sold out. It may still be available from Amazon Japan.

#593 redman77   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   306 Posts   Joined 16.7 Years Ago  

redman77

Posted 09 July 2020 - 07:19 PM

The TG16 mini is still available at Amazon Japan. Surely Konami will make more of these available for sale in America at some point. No point in going through all the design work and set up manufacturing, then only sell a handful in the US. There is clearly a demand for them, as Amazon US sold out pretty early once they had them in stock. Then again, it's Konami we are talking about.

#594 Richard Kain   The Kaiser CAGiversary!   2852 Posts   Joined 13.0 Years Ago  

Richard Kain

Posted 10 July 2020 - 12:16 AM

Given that these are essentially emulation boxes, you're basically paying for the tiny exterior, and the software work done by M2. While the games themselves are nice to have in an official capacity, there are are other options for those less concerned with legality. And in this particular instance, there wouldn't even be much in the way of economic quandary, as the original TurboGrafx was never a big seller to begin with. The actual hardware inside these mini-boxes has been largely generic, so there is no real value for them when it comes to the internals. The hardware shells and the customized software is where the real value lies.

#595 djricekcn   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   528 Posts   Joined 12.8 Years Ago  

djricekcn

Posted 10 July 2020 - 12:40 AM

Ys4 will probably not happen as Falcom doesn't register as the official (Dawn of Ys) rather SNES one (Mask of the Sun), and now, Celceta are consider proper.

as for Riot games...did anyone ever get their licensing rights for their games?

#596 ashram   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1297 Posts   Joined 16.8 Years Ago  

Posted 10 July 2020 - 06:27 PM

Ys4 will probably not happen as Falcom doesn't register as the official (Dawn of Ys) rather SNES one (Mask of the Sun), and now, Celceta are consider proper.

Seems most of Riot's (and Telenet) games sit with sunsoft (according to Wikipedia, I say most as opposed to Wikipedia stating all because.... Don't ask what happened to the Valis series) :(

#597 MSUHitman   former Checkmate Arcade Co-Host CAGiversary!   14797 Posts   Joined 14.1 Years Ago  

Posted 11 July 2020 - 06:01 AM

What system was Ys V released for? I wonder if they will ever remake it like they did for IV (Celceta.)

#598 doctorwolf   CAG Newbie CAGiversary!   214 Posts   Joined 7.4 Years Ago  

doctorwolf

Posted 11 July 2020 - 04:47 PM

What system was Ys V released for? I wonder if they will ever remake it like they did for IV (Celceta.)

Super Famicom. There's an English translation patch for it as well.

#599 bubster93   WOT! CAGiversary!   198 Posts   Joined 3.2 Years Ago  

bubster93

Posted 12 July 2020 - 03:19 PM

I wanted a TG16 mini, but I had bought a bunch of PC Engine games from the Japanese Wii Shop Channel. I was disappointed when it sold out in the USA, but I was still not ready to spend $100 on it.

So I looked closer at the list of games on it, and found out that the USA PSN and JP PSN have A LOT of TG16/PCEngine games between them. Not to mention the USA Wii U Shops and JP Wii U Shops have lots of games for the TG16/PCEngine.

If you want to just play the games, I'd suggest looking into the PS3 PSN and Wii U TG16/PC Engine libraries! You can get games for a good price and choose exactly the games you want to play.

China Warrior and Chew Man Fu are VERY fun! Check them out!

#600 kingotnw   The Devil! CAGiversary!   222 Posts   Joined 11.6 Years Ago  

kingotnw

Posted 15 July 2020 - 04:02 PM

Thanks for the tip on amazon japan. I got one for $100. I’m thrilled.