* * * * * 3 votes

TurboGrafx-16 Mini Retro Console (Amazon Exclusive : Pre-orders start July 15th)

#601 crewj   from peru to cebu CAGiversary!   1314 Posts   Joined 15.4 Years Ago  

Posted 15 July 2020 - 04:16 PM

Thanks for the tip on amazon japan. I got one for $100. I’m thrilled.

Which did you get? I ordered and received the US TG16 variant.

#602 kingotnw   The Devil! CAGiversary!   225 Posts   Joined 11.7 Years Ago  

kingotnw

Posted 16 July 2020 - 12:39 AM

I ordered the TG16 version.

#603 kingotnw   The Devil! CAGiversary!   225 Posts   Joined 11.7 Years Ago  

kingotnw

Posted 16 July 2020 - 12:41 AM

Which did you get? I ordered and received the US TG16 variant.

I got the TG16 versio.

#604 Xellos2099   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   3629 Posts   Joined 16.7 Years Ago  

Posted 16 July 2020 - 09:55 PM

Wow, i place the order for Core graphx on sunday and it is here today at usa.  $114 well spent

#605 kingotnw   The Devil! CAGiversary!   225 Posts   Joined 11.7 Years Ago  

kingotnw

Posted 17 July 2020 - 11:04 PM

Mine is out for delivery. Can’t wait to play it tonight.

#606 kingotnw   The Devil! CAGiversary!   225 Posts   Joined 11.7 Years Ago  

kingotnw

Posted 18 July 2020 - 12:46 AM

DHL sucks. Apparently they say they tried to deliver the package and nobody was home. I’ve been home all fucking day and nobody knocked on the door. Who requires signatures anymore anyways. Earliest redelivery is Monday. LAME.

#607 bigbadboaz   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   387 Posts   Joined 16.8 Years Ago  

bigbadboaz

Posted 18 July 2020 - 04:53 AM

I went through the same shit. Make sure you're actually watching out the  window on Monday.  :/

That said, you better believe I wanted them to take a signature. Even worse if something like this gets stolen.

#608 pbfluff   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   862 Posts   Joined 12.1 Years Ago  

Posted 18 July 2020 - 12:44 PM

DHL sucks. Apparently they say they tried to deliver the package and nobody was home. I’ve been home all fucking day and nobody knocked on the door. Who requires signatures anymore anyways. Earliest redelivery is Monday. LAME.

I’m bummed for you...not a big deal in the grand scheme of things, but such a bummer.

#609 kevlar51   eats babies CAGiversary!   1206 Posts   Joined 13.2 Years Ago  

Posted 18 July 2020 - 03:00 PM

Did you get a text from DHL? I got a text asking if I want to waive signature requirements. You might be able to go online and do it but their website is a nightmare.

#610 chrislaustin   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   7621 Posts   Joined 14.7 Years Ago  

chrislaustin

Posted 18 July 2020 - 03:58 PM

Did you get a text from DHL? I got a text asking if I want to waive signature requirements. You might be able to go online and do it but their website is a nightmare.

Yeah, I do this as well, as Bitmap Books in the UK send their books by DHL each time, so being able to waive that signature is key. I also have an electrical plug by my front door with a plastic cover, so I always specify that I'll leave a note on that cover, and if it's not there, don't leave the package because you have the wrong house. In my neighborhood packages get mis-delivered all the time(many house with the same numbers, but different names), so I do this so I won't have a package go missing I waived the signature on, as that would be on me if it's lost or stolen. 

One time I had a DHL package arrive that I never got a notice for, and when the driver knocked, he asked were was my note, as he remembered my house? I told him I didn't know I had a package coming, otherwise I would have. LOL So overall, I've had nothing but good experiences with DHL, but like with most things in this world, that's only because I do the extra work on my end to ensure proper service(I should be getting paid to ensure a proper job is done, but that's what the world has come to). I also agree their site is complete shit, and has it's own issues I suppose, one of which was making sure I could sit this service up.

EDIT: Also, once this is set up, you could leave the driver a message that your home as well(you don't have to waive the sig), and knock loud and wait, so don't give me that "person wasn't home" BS! LOL

#611 redman77   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   307 Posts   Joined 16.8 Years Ago  

redman77

Posted 19 July 2020 - 01:27 AM

Worst delivery service. I had the same thing happen with them. I know when someone comes up my drive -- I can hear them, plus the dogs bark. Delivery man never came but claimed he did but nobody was home. Then, twice my package was delivered to the wrong house across town, but in both cases the people that got the package drove across town to give the packages to me in person. I don't get much stuff from places that use DHL fortunately. My limited experience with them has not been good at all. UPS and USPS are very reliable where I live. FedEx and DHL are the two I've had issues with, mainly DHL. Maybe my area just has incredibly stupid DHL employees.

#612 tylerdurden10   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   375 Posts   Joined 12.2 Years Ago  

tylerdurden10

Posted 24 July 2020 - 05:49 PM

After reading some of the stories here about DHL's poor service, I have to give credit where it's due. My order shipped on 7/22 from Japan, and has already arrived today in MA! They sent me constant updates and allowed me choices of leaving at my door or signature upon delivery. It was packaged well, and arrived in flawless condition. Now the wait begins for the mod to be released. lol

#613 bradbo   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   1131 Posts   Joined 12.5 Years Ago  

Posted 24 July 2020 - 07:26 PM

I’ve had good luck with DHL too. I’ll get items from Japan post marked one day prior. I guess it’s the time difference that makes this possible?

#614 derekzoolander   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   25 Posts   Joined 12.3 Years Ago  

derekzoolander

Posted 30 July 2020 - 02:24 PM

Looks like Amazon Jp finally sold out of the system. 3rd party seller only now

#615 doctorwolf   CAG Newbie CAGiversary!   232 Posts   Joined 7.5 Years Ago  

doctorwolf

Posted 01 August 2020 - 07:22 AM

Buying this thing at launch for $100 is starting to look like a pretty good retirement investment option. These now sell for more than real TG16s for some reason. I feel sorry for everyone who didn't get one because they thought this was somehow equivalent to the PS Classic, due to some incredibly misguided reasoning.

#616 defpally   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   2138 Posts   Joined 10.5 Years Ago  

defpally

Posted 01 August 2020 - 12:53 PM

Buying this thing at launch for $100 is starting to look like a pretty good retirement investment option. These now sell for more than real TG16s for some reason. I feel sorry for everyone who didn't get one because they thought this was somehow equivalent to the PS Classic, due to some incredibly misguided reasoning.

Yeah, the people that figured "I'll just wait for the bottom to fall out on the price like the PS1 and Genesis ones" and actually want it made a bad bet.  It was clear that since it was a single retailer they didn't over-produce and the quality of this one is really, really good.  I don't regret pre-ordering a year ahead of time and getting it a single bit.  I have all of the mini consoles and it is my favorite.

#617 Romeo   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   4669 Posts   Joined 16.9 Years Ago  

Posted 01 August 2020 - 04:15 PM

Yeah, the people that figured "I'll just wait for the bottom to fall out on the price like the PS1 and Genesis ones" and actually want it made a bad bet.  It was clear that since it was a single retailer they didn't over-produce and the quality of this one is really, really good.  I don't regret pre-ordering a year ahead of time and getting it a single bit.  I have all of the mini consoles and it is my favorite.

I wouldn't blame people for that though. ALL of the retro consoles went on sale at some point. And some such as the PSclassic were plain crap. I considered getting the turbografx just as a collector to complete the mini console 'set', though I never played one growing up.

#618 defpally   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   2138 Posts   Joined 10.5 Years Ago  

defpally

Posted 01 August 2020 - 05:07 PM

I wouldn't blame people for that though. ALL of the retro consoles went on sale at some point. And some such as the PSclassic were plain crap. I considered getting the turbografx just as a collector to complete the mini console 'set', though I never played one growing up.

No, not at all.  It wasn't an unwise bet based on history - but it was a gamble.  There was some indication it wasn't going to be over-produced, with it being retailer exclusive to Amazon, and the public has somewhat soured on Minis over time.  The PS Classic was crap (and the only one I have hacked, the games were that bad) but the Genesis Mini was really top quality with a great game selection and it still hit the discount shelf due to production.  To me it all goes to show the public does want these, as long as they are done well and a good game selection, but they don't need to flood the shelves with them because the NES Classic style demand is not realistic anymore.

I also did not have a TG16 back then (I and SNES and Genesis), but I wanted it because they had some games I had wanted to sit down and play but never really had done so.

#619 Romeo   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   4669 Posts   Joined 16.9 Years Ago  

Posted 01 August 2020 - 06:04 PM

No, not at all.  It wasn't an unwise bet based on history - but it was a gamble.  There was some indication it wasn't going to be over-produced, with it being retailer exclusive to Amazon, and the public has somewhat soured on Minis over time.  The PS Classic was crap (and the only one I have hacked, the games were that bad) but the Genesis Mini was really top quality with a great game selection and it still hit the discount shelf due to production.  To me it all goes to show the public does want these, as long as they are done well and a good game selection, but they don't need to flood the shelves with them because the NES Classic style demand is not realistic anymore.

I also did not have a TG16 back then (I and SNES and Genesis), but I wanted it because they had some games I had wanted to sit down and play but never really had done so.

I agree. Don't rush the product to market or you'll piss off consumers. It's the main reason I don't game like I used to. I absolutely will not pay full MSRP for a game to come out, be broken and unfinished, when a year later the "complete edition" comes out fully patched. Screw that nonsense.

#620 chrislaustin   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   7621 Posts   Joined 14.7 Years Ago  

chrislaustin

Posted 01 August 2020 - 06:29 PM

I agree. Don't rush the product to market or you'll piss off consumers. It's the main reason I don't game like I used to. I absolutely will not pay full MSRP for a game to come out, be broken and unfinished, when a year later the "complete edition" comes out fully patched. Screw that nonsense.

Yeah, I adopted this method as well years ago, as the GOTY editions can often be had for $20 in a short period of time as well, so long as you don't mind waiting, this is the much better way to go.

#621 doctorwolf   CAG Newbie CAGiversary!   232 Posts   Joined 7.5 Years Ago  

doctorwolf

Posted 01 August 2020 - 10:19 PM

No, not at all. It wasn't an unwise bet based on history - but it was a gamble. There was some indication it wasn't going to be over-produced, with it being retailer exclusive to Amazon, and the public has somewhat soured on Minis over time. The PS Classic was crap (and the only one I have hacked, the games were that bad) but the Genesis Mini was really top quality with a great game selection and it still hit the discount shelf due to production. To me it all goes to show the public does want these, as long as they are done well and a good game selection, but they don't need to flood the shelves with them because the NES Classic style demand is not realistic anymore.

I don't even know how this can be compared to the previous mini markets. You could get those at Amazon, as well Target, Walmart, Best Buy, and pretty much every brick and mortar store under the sun. These were exclusive to Amazon. To predict price plunges based on reference to such radically different business models makes absolutely no sense.

And that's just the obvious tell. Once you start factoring in other things like covid-stressed supply chains, the die hard franchise fan base, etc... no brainer to buy this thing at $100. My only regret is not buying another one once Amazon restocked them for a short time.

#622 Richard Kain   The Kaiser CAGiversary!   2870 Posts   Joined 13.2 Years Ago  

Richard Kain

Posted 01 August 2020 - 11:12 PM

Was it a good idea to go ahead and get one of these for the original retail price? Yes, yes it was.

Would it be a good idea to horde these suckers, and any other mini consoles in the future in order to flip them for a profit? No, that would be a terrible idea.

The circumstances for the TurboGrafx 16 mini are a bit unique to start off with. Konami hadn't been planning on mass-producing these things from the get-go, so the supply was always going to be constrained. Then COVID hit and all bets were off, further preventing any additional production runs.

Generally speaking, game flipping is a bad idea to begin with. It's really only profitable in the short term, and even then it is excessively risky. The only way to make a decent profit off of it long-term is to have an extensive understanding of the industry as a whole, and the consumer response to various titles and systems. And once again, even under the ideal circumstances the profits we're talking about would be pennies on the dollar. It's just not a good way to make money.

#623 doctorwolf   CAG Newbie CAGiversary!   232 Posts   Joined 7.5 Years Ago  

doctorwolf

Posted 02 August 2020 - 03:29 AM

Was it a good idea to go ahead and get one of these for the original retail price? Yes, yes it was.

Would it be a good idea to horde these suckers, and any other mini consoles in the future in order to flip them for a profit? No, that would be a terrible idea.

The circumstances for the TurboGrafx 16 mini are a bit unique to start off with. Konami hadn't been planning on mass-producing these things from the get-go, so the supply was always going to be constrained. Then COVID hit and all bets were off, further preventing any additional production runs.

Generally speaking, game flipping is a bad idea to begin with. It's really only profitable in the short term, and even then it is excessively risky. The only way to make a decent profit off of it long-term is to have an extensive understanding of the industry as a whole, and the consumer response to various titles and systems. And once again, even under the ideal circumstances the profits we're talking about would be pennies on the dollar. It's just not a good way to make money.

I don't know about flipping, but it'd be nice to have a backup in case you ever accidentally plug it into the wrong ac adapter and fry it (btw, dumbest thing ever to have to worry about).

#624 dracula   i'll buy that for a dolla CAGiversary!   5071 Posts   Joined 16.6 Years Ago  

Posted 03 August 2020 - 05:13 AM

"In" the mini? Splatterhouse has always been part of the US game set.

Yep splatter house is one of my favs hucard games. Rtype and bonk are good too.

#625 n64ra   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   2649 Posts   Joined 13.1 Years Ago  

Posted 03 August 2020 - 03:40 PM

We also haven't seen Konami say that's the only production run. It could get restocked.

#626 Xellos2099   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   3629 Posts   Joined 16.7 Years Ago  

Posted 04 August 2020 - 01:02 AM

amazon jp still got soem pc engine mini and core graphicx mini

#627 redman77   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   307 Posts   Joined 16.8 Years Ago  

redman77

Posted 04 August 2020 - 02:15 AM

My plan was to wait for Konami to do more production runs, as I thought for sure they would, then grab a spare once the price went down like it has for most mini consoles.. Not so sure any more, so I recently ordered a CoreGrafx from Amazon JP while they are still available, just to be safe. Love this system so much that I want to make sure I can keep playing if my TG16 bites the dust.

#628 chrislaustin   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   7621 Posts   Joined 14.7 Years Ago  

chrislaustin

Posted 04 August 2020 - 10:40 AM

My plan was to wait for Konami to do more production runs, as I thought for sure they would, then grab a spare once the price went down like it has for most mini consoles.. Not so sure any more, so I recently ordered a CoreGrafx from Amazon JP while they are still available, just to be safe. Love this system so much that I want to make sure I can keep playing if my TG16 bites the dust.

Honestly, without some word direct from Konami, anything could be happening in regards to production for these(or not). Production or lack thereof is all over the map right now, with no end in sight. The best example I can give, is for my "Dragon's Lair" Arcade cab from New Wave Toys, as it was originally due to ship in March, right before things got bad here, but months after it was already bad in China.

The latest updates we have gotten through KS is that they have finally made it to their "pilot production" level, which is to fine tune any issues before mass production. So depending on how that goes, and how many fine details need tweaking, final production could be weeks, or still even months away(hopefully just weeks based on updates). So use this as a guide to how long it may take for new production, or even returning products.

Depending on when Konami decided these were "hot", if they even had, you may see more in a few months, or none for a year. It just depends on if production had ended, and if they see a benefit to starting it up again if it had. It all comes down to how quick they may be able to produce more, and if it's even worth their time? Maybe production never stopped, and they are just having supply chain problems? It just to many unknown variables to make a proper choice. I would say for anyone who wanted one of these, you should have made plans before now, as we may see more, or we may not? Being a vendor specific item, always meant this had "limited" written all over it, and covid-19 situation is just icing on that cake, sadly.

#629 pbfluff   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   862 Posts   Joined 12.1 Years Ago  

Posted 04 August 2020 - 11:21 AM

the only reason i bit the bullet to preorder and pay full price was because it is an amazon exclusive.

i think it is really cool and the tg16 ui and menu music is fantastic.

wish i had a spare like my other minis, but wasn’t excited to pay msrp twice.

#630 psychoseoul  

psychoseoul

Posted 04 August 2020 - 12:04 PM

Thanks to this thread being relatively high up in the forum, I realized that these things were OOS and opted to order a PC Engine Mini from amazon.co.jp (still available via amazon rather than a 3rd party!). I never had a TG16, but a very rich friend of mine whose father owned a baseball card / collectible / Magic: The Gathering shop did, and I remember playing the hell out of Bonk's Adventure at his house for a birthday sleepover. 

Not sure if I'll have to pay additional customs when it arrives in Korea, but very happy with the purchase, just to satisfy a childhood dream and more, since I always thought Super Famicom > Super Nintendo (snagged a European version of the SNES Mini) and PC Engine > TG16. 

Best wishes to all in the States and hope you stay safe and healthy. I am an American expat living and working in Korea, and it breaks my heart to see what's happening over there.