* * * * * 3 votes

TurboGrafx-16 Mini Retro Console (Amazon Exclusive : Pre-orders start July 15th)

#631 chrislaustin   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   7614 Posts   Joined 14.7 Years Ago  

chrislaustin

Posted 04 August 2020 - 02:44 PM

Best wishes to all in the States and hope you stay safe and healthy. I am an American expat living and working in Korea, and it breaks my heart to see what's happening over there. 

Thanks, as we need all the support and well wishes we can get, and may I send some to those Americans living abroad as well, as **** is real all over, but not many places as bad as the US!

#632 Ketsui   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1436 Posts   Joined 13.6 Years Ago  

Posted 04 August 2020 - 02:56 PM

8 bit do wireless controllers on sale for $22.30 on amazon. Good deal

#633 JackSuper   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   827 Posts   Joined 16.8 Years Ago  

Posted 04 August 2020 - 05:47 PM

I purchased one from an eBay Japan seller for $167 shipped via best offer:

https://www.ebay.com...872.m2749.l2649

#634 Fades   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   439 Posts   Joined 14.8 Years Ago  

Posted 05 August 2020 - 04:29 AM

I am glad I ordered the Core Grafx yesterday it's not available from Amazon Japan any longer.

#635 trinken wir   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   395 Posts   Joined 11.3 Years Ago  

trinken wir

Posted 05 August 2020 - 03:01 PM

Yeah, I adopted this method as well years ago, as the GOTY editions can often be had for $20 in a short period of time as well, so long as you don't mind waiting, this is the much better way to go.

Until Bethesda starting using a code instead of putting the expansions on the disc. Fallout 4.

#636 dnl2ba   Inadvertent collector CAGiversary!   502 Posts   Joined 6.3 Years Ago  

Posted 06 August 2020 - 02:24 AM

8 bit do wireless controllers on sale for $22.30 on amazon. Good deal

And 10% off the official multitap, which appears to be a 5-port USB hub.

#637 intelligentidiot   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1075 Posts   Joined 14.7 Years Ago  

intelligentidiot

Posted 02 September 2020 - 01:41 PM

It looks like TG16 Mini is restocking on Sept 16: https://www.amazon.c...duct/B07QD9GQ9J

#638 Davem   Picture was the top google result for my username CAGiversary!   703 Posts   Joined 1.1 Years Ago  

Posted 02 September 2020 - 05:38 PM

It looks like TG16 Mini is restocking on Sept 16: https://www.amazon.c...duct/B07QD9GQ9J

Thanks, I bit and ordered one for the shelf. Do remember my cousin having the TG express with bonk growing up and always wanting to play it.

#639 derekzoolander   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   25 Posts   Joined 12.3 Years Ago  

derekzoolander

Posted 02 September 2020 - 05:55 PM

And just like that, no longer available

#640 bigbadboaz   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   387 Posts   Joined 16.8 Years Ago  

bigbadboaz

Posted 02 September 2020 - 07:10 PM

Was it an actual Amazon restock, or a stupid reseller? If it disappeared that quickly, more likely the latter.

#641 derekzoolander   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   25 Posts   Joined 12.3 Years Ago  

derekzoolander

Posted 02 September 2020 - 07:22 PM

It said sold by Amazon and it was $99 with prime shipping.

#642 Davem   Picture was the top google result for my username CAGiversary!   703 Posts   Joined 1.1 Years Ago  

Posted 02 September 2020 - 08:59 PM

TurboGrafx-16 mini $99.99
Qty: 1
Sold By: Amazon.com Services LLC

Is what the order lists. Didn’t have the other option available when I purchased.

#643 JohnnySako   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   588 Posts   Joined 9.5 Years Ago  

JohnnySako

Posted 02 September 2020 - 10:51 PM

Amazon Japan has the PC Engine Mini for 10665 yen. Sold by amazon.co.jp.

#644 RSeth   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   20 Posts   Joined 16.8 Years Ago  

Posted 03 September 2020 - 12:35 AM

Amazon US has it back in stock for $99.99 (will ship September 20)

#645 Sigma   King of Strong Style CAGiversary!   4436 Posts   Joined 16.2 Years Ago  

Posted 03 September 2020 - 12:42 AM

Just will say for anyone on the fence. The TG16 Mini is the most fun I have had with a mini console to date even with just the included games. I never owned one growing up so that probably adds a lot of the enjoyment factor for me but generally really like the whole package here. Really hoping they release a hack soon so I can add more titles. 

#646 Romeo   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   4669 Posts   Joined 16.9 Years Ago  

Posted 03 September 2020 - 02:08 AM

Just will say for anyone on the fence. The TG16 Mini is the most fun I have had with a mini console to date even with just the included games. I never owned one growing up so that probably adds a lot of the enjoyment factor for me but generally really like the whole package here. Really hoping they release a hack soon so I can add more titles. 

I never was tempted to buy this last year since I didn't know the console except by name. I started with an NES and went up from there, so this console mini didn't appeal to me. Plus it seems it didn't have that much universal appeal. I wonder if this is going to be massively produced now since it's still orderable on amazon.

#647 bigbadboaz   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   387 Posts   Joined 16.8 Years Ago  

bigbadboaz

Posted 03 September 2020 - 04:31 AM

The hack is coming, it's just been delayed by COVID like everything else. It's been frustrating - seemed like it would be out within months of the system - but it IS coming.

#648 doctorwolf   CAG Newbie CAGiversary!   232 Posts   Joined 7.5 Years Ago  

doctorwolf

Posted 03 September 2020 - 04:36 AM

The hack is coming, it's just been delayed by COVID like everything else. It's been frustrating - seemed like it would be out within months of the system - but it IS coming.

Not really understanding how a hack, something that inherently takes place in front of a computer, could be delayed by covid. Unless hackers do most of their work at sports venues or restaurants, I'm not really seeing the correlation here.

#649 bigbadboaz   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   387 Posts   Joined 16.8 Years Ago  

bigbadboaz

Posted 03 September 2020 - 06:48 AM

One of the lead coders was seriously sick...

???

#650 Sigma   King of Strong Style CAGiversary!   4436 Posts   Joined 16.2 Years Ago  

Posted 03 September 2020 - 12:23 PM

I never was tempted to buy this last year since I didn't know the console except by name. I started with an NES and went up from there, so this console mini didn't appeal to me. Plus it seems it didn't have that much universal appeal. I wonder if this is going to be massively produced now since it's still orderable on amazon.

I was always interested in the TG16 but they weren't around in stores for too long and the prices the consoles and games go for now are too high for me to invest in the real deal. The appeal for the TG16 definitely doesn't match most of the other mini consoles since those consoles were generally a lot more popular. Konami really did a great job with the TG16 mini though it's easily the best thing they have released in a long time in terms of sheer quality.

Yeah, I've been following it myself. I don't know how COVID had any impact on the hack though, but I do know the same folks have been working on other projects as well and the TG16 is likely low on the priority list unfortunately. Hope we get a hack soon though. 

#651 Richard Kain   The Kaiser CAGiversary!   2869 Posts   Joined 13.1 Years Ago  

Richard Kain

Posted 03 September 2020 - 02:58 PM

I don't see nearly as much of a need for a hack on my Turbo Mini. There just aren't very many other games that I feel the need to put on it. I'm pretty happy with the game selection they provided, and I love the interface on the Mini. With the NES and SNES minis, there were clear omissions that I felt the need to include. With the Genesis, there were a handful of titles I wouldn't mind adding, but there was much less urgency, as significantly more of the must-haves were pre-installed. The PS1 mini was overall just crap so hacking it was able to improve the selection, but I stopped bothering with better alternatives readily available. (I have multiple hacked PSTVs now, WAY better for playing PS1 games)

#652 soonersfan60   Longing for retro CAG... CAGiversary!   4448 Posts   Joined 15.0 Years Ago  

soonersfan60

Posted 03 September 2020 - 02:59 PM

I have 2 of each of the other minis (1 to hack, 1 to keep originally as-is), but I bit on this now. I was waiting for a price drop when first announced and available (and still will for #2), but this has been managed better than the other mini availability. And since only available at Amazon, I'm not optimistic for a serious price drop.

Long way of saying, "in for one".

#653 MSUHitman   former Checkmate Arcade Co-Host CAGiversary!   14845 Posts   Joined 14.3 Years Ago  

Posted 03 September 2020 - 06:05 PM

I don't see nearly as much of a need for a hack on my Turbo Mini. There just aren't very many other games that I feel the need to put on it. I'm pretty happy with the game selection they provided, and I love the interface on the Mini. With the NES and SNES minis, there were clear omissions that I felt the need to include. With the Genesis, there were a handful of titles I wouldn't mind adding, but there was much less urgency, as significantly more of the must-haves were pre-installed. The PS1 mini was overall just crap so hacking it was able to improve the selection, but I stopped bothering with better alternatives readily available. (I have multiple hacked PSTVs now, WAY better for playing PS1 games)

I want Snatchers in English.

#654 MSUHitman   former Checkmate Arcade Co-Host CAGiversary!   14845 Posts   Joined 14.3 Years Ago  

Posted 03 September 2020 - 06:07 PM

Amazon US has it back in stock for $99.99 (will ship September 20)

Sold out again by yesterday afternoon.

#655 defpally   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   2120 Posts   Joined 10.5 Years Ago  

defpally

Posted 03 September 2020 - 07:02 PM

Honestly, if you are going to go to the trouble of hacking then go ahead and go the Raspberry Pi route and put on it whatever floats your boat.  Setting up one of those is pretty much the same difficulty of hacking one of these.  I have one of these Minis and love it, but also have a Pi (well several actually) for things like Legendary Axe since there were licensing issues with the mini.

The only one I have hacked is the PS1 and that's because I got it cheap and the thing is pretty much garbage with the included game selection.

#656 kingotnw   The Devil! CAGiversary!   224 Posts   Joined 11.7 Years Ago  

kingotnw

Posted 06 September 2020 - 04:21 AM

Funny. I got my mini from Amazon.jp at list ($99.99)and like it. Not really in love with it like some others but to each their own. It’s a little silly paying over retail for these. They come back in stock often.

#657 doctorwolf   CAG Newbie CAGiversary!   232 Posts   Joined 7.5 Years Ago  

doctorwolf

Posted 06 September 2020 - 05:58 PM

Honestly, if you are going to go to the trouble of hacking then go ahead and go the Raspberry Pi route and put on it whatever floats your boat. Setting up one of those is pretty much the same difficulty of hacking one of these. I have one of these Minis and love it, but also have a Pi (well several actually) for things like Legendary Axe since there were licensing issues with the mini.

The only one I have hacked is the PS1 and that's because I got it cheap and the thing is pretty much garbage with the included game selection.

A hacked mini has value for me over RPI because it is WAY easier for kids or visitors to screw up settings on a RPI. On a mini, the worst they can do is overwrite a save state. The number of times I've had to reimage a card because someone botched something up is ridiculous.

Either way though, if you are willing to ditch a flashy front end, there are far better options than both of these.

#658 pbfluff   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   855 Posts   Joined 12.1 Years Ago  

Posted 06 September 2020 - 07:25 PM

the turbopad replica isn’t getting enough love...the replica controllers are a lot of the allure for me personally.

otherwise, just coinops with a xbox controller or 8bitdo.

#659 Moofboy   CAG in Training CAGiversary!   525 Posts   Joined 8.1 Years Ago  

Posted 06 September 2020 - 09:56 PM

Quick question before I order one... can I use any of the power adapters from my other mini systems with this?

#660 pbfluff   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   855 Posts   Joined 12.1 Years Ago  

Posted 06 September 2020 - 10:00 PM

Quick question before I order one... can I use any of the power adapters from my other mini systems with this?

yes, be careful with wattage...too muchc has been know to blow the usb ports