* * * * * 2 votes

TurboGrafx-16 Mini Retro Console (Amazon Exclusive : Pre-orders start July 15th)

#211 hohle  

Posted 17 July 2019 - 03:40 AM

The mini console would probably fit in one

But only the PC Engine version. The TG16 will need a backpack for the same hardware.

#212 defpally   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1876 Posts   Joined 9.3 Years Ago  

defpally

Posted 17 July 2019 - 02:51 PM

You should take your own advice.  The Genesis had been out roughly a month when the Turbo launched, so there was no impact whatsoever on its design.

And the Mega Drive (which only had minor differences from the Genesis) was out close to a year prior to the Genesis.

You're knocking an item from the 90's for having gaudy neon colors.  You realize EVERYTHING cool was gaudy and neon colored, right?  Ever watch "Fresh Prince of Bel-Air" or "In Living Color"?

Yes, as someone who lived through that period I am perfectly, cringingly aware of the fascination with neon colors at the time.  My point was they were aiming at the younger crowd because at the time video games were considered "kids things".  That generation was when people stopping viewing it entirely that way with the older folks and it was more socially acceptable.

#213 eastx   The Fighting Bomber CAGiversary!   8939 Posts   Joined 15.6 Years Ago  

Posted 17 July 2019 - 08:08 PM

I also preordered the US model, mainly to support Konami releasing this type of product in the US. Looks-wise, it would be Japan all the way for me.

#214 Dr_dreadful  

Dr_dreadful

Posted 17 July 2019 - 09:54 PM

I also preordered the US model, mainly to support Konami releasing this type of product in the US. Looks-wise, it would be Japan all the way for me.

I got the US one as well just because it's the same as what I had as a kid so it tugs at my nostalgia strings seeing it. Plus if one day way down the road should it be worth anything and I sell it when I'm old you generally can sell game related stuff a lot easier in its country of origin.

#215 pjay   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   161 Posts   Joined 13.1 Years Ago  

Posted 17 July 2019 - 11:33 PM

I got one. But I want them to make addons like they're doing with the Genesis/MegaDrive one https://www.silicone...-extra-add-ons/

#216 R_Fated_Circle   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   96 Posts   Joined 8.4 Years Ago  

R_Fated_Circle

Posted 18 July 2019 - 01:32 AM

I remember playing this at toys r us as a kid, but never knew anyone who owned one. I’m excited to pick this up and experience this side of gaming that I never got a chance to

#217 kevlar51   eats babies CAGiversary!   1178 Posts   Joined 12.0 Years Ago  

Posted 18 July 2019 - 02:08 AM

I remember playing this at toys r us as a kid, but never knew anyone who owned one. I’m excited to pick this up and experience this side of gaming that I never got a chance to

I remember drooling over the Turbo Express behind the glass at TRU. That thing was way ahead of its time and I still don’t think I’ve ever held one.

#218 KinjiMuto   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   366 Posts   Joined 11.3 Years Ago  

KinjiMuto

Posted 18 July 2019 - 03:08 AM

I remember drooling over the Turbo Express behind the glass at TRU. That thing was way ahead of its time and I still don’t think I’ve ever held one.

I'm stunned someone like Hyperkin hasn't made a new/modern version of it. I would be all over that thing.

#219 ArugulaZ   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   1735 Posts   Joined 14.8 Years Ago  

Posted 18 July 2019 - 03:21 AM

I'm still waiting for that supposed Sega Nomad that was announced at the start of the year.

https://kiblitzing.b.../nomad-bro.html

#220 d8onausa   Hornet CAGiversary!   414 Posts   Joined 13.9 Years Ago  

d8onausa

Posted 19 July 2019 - 10:29 PM

And the Mega Drive (which only had minor differences from the Genesis) was out close to a year prior to the Genesis.

And that had what to do with hardware aesthetics preference in the US?