* * * * * 2 votes

TurboGrafx-16 Mini Retro Console Announced @ E3 from Konami

#31 NeloDiavolo   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   360 Posts   Joined 9.7 Years Ago  

NeloDiavolo

Posted 12 June 2019 - 06:18 PM

I want it. Don't care what games are on it, I just want that TG-16 mini console. It's so Rad!

#32 Licasguy   Boosh! CAGiversary!   279 Posts   Joined 11.9 Years Ago  

Posted 12 June 2019 - 07:24 PM

Any of the Working Designs titles, would be nice.

#33 Soma_Cruz   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1546 Posts   Joined 10.5 Years Ago  

Soma_Cruz

Posted 12 June 2019 - 07:47 PM

I don’t understand why everyone is now doing the “well reveal the rest of the games later!” It’s like everyone followed the PlayStation Classic and was like guess that’s how you do it

Sega announcing the games in waves was pretty good for marketing, every month or two you'd see gaming sites/youtubers/etc talking about it again as more games are announced. NES/SNES didn't need that.

#34 bee01   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   400 Posts   Joined 14.8 Years Ago  

Posted 12 June 2019 - 08:01 PM

The PC Engine was more popular than the Mega Drive in Japan.  This thing could do well if they don't F it up.

#35 FatBoyInside   Money costs too much CAGiversary!   2466 Posts   Joined 15.4 Years Ago  

FatBoyInside

Posted 12 June 2019 - 10:25 PM

Similar to the architecture of the original console, it features a single controller port and will only include one original-sized controller in the box.  Hence, multiplayer partying will definitely require an additional purchase of a multitap accessory and any extra controllers you need for local co-op.  

regions.jpg

#36 Richard Kain   The Kaiser CAGiversary!   2701 Posts   Joined 11.9 Years Ago  

Richard Kain

Posted 12 June 2019 - 10:36 PM

Well, if they wanted to be REALLY authentic, they could include a extra USB port on the controller itself, and let you daisy-chain additional controllers to it. I seem to recall that being a thing with the original system.

#37 kaydigi   BK All Day CAGiversary!   1332 Posts   Joined 12.5 Years Ago  

Posted 12 June 2019 - 10:43 PM

I need an English version of snatcher... please make it happen.

#38 gepet0   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1331 Posts   Joined 13.7 Years Ago  

Posted 12 June 2019 - 10:58 PM

Great pre line up Dungeon explorers Alien Crush,  If I recall  The turbo version of R type was the superior version among all consoles and the one that was closet to the arcade.  I agree with the one user TV sports football was revolutionary at the time. 

IMO adding lord of the rising son would be send this over the top.  Did that game ever appear on another home console?  

#39 Zincdust   CSI: Portland CAGiversary!   483 Posts   Joined 15.8 Years Ago  

Posted 13 June 2019 - 12:17 AM

No kidding? Why hasn't it been re-released on more current systems (since, what, PS1?), EVER? Doesn't Konami like money??

#40 bojay1997   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   6217 Posts   Joined 15.5 Years Ago  

Posted 13 June 2019 - 12:33 AM

Well, if they wanted to be REALLY authentic, they could include a extra USB port on the controller itself, and let you daisy-chain additional controllers to it. I seem to recall that being a thing with the original system.

You're thinking of 3do.  

#41 Gainer   Cheapening it up. CAGiversary!   222 Posts   Joined 14.5 Years Ago  

Posted 13 June 2019 - 01:45 AM

You're thinking of 3do.  

Indeed, 3do and a couple others had the daisy chain.  To be really authentic to PCE and TG16, they'd need to use different ports on the PCE and core grafx then the TG16 and make the controllers not fit in each other.  Since they are USB maybe use USB-C on the jp and EU ones and regular old usb on the NA?

#42 315Retro   Westside Wizard CAGiversary!   1288 Posts   Joined 7.7 Years Ago  

Posted 13 June 2019 - 02:30 AM

This is one I'd love to get and mod. I will never collect physically for it, so to own the entire library in one semi official capacity is ideal for me. Some with that new commodore they announced. Definitely interested in following this.

#43 Jurai  

Posted 13 June 2019 - 05:44 AM

I like that they're adding cd titles out of the gate

#44 opportunity777   Disco Fever CAGiversary!   5214 Posts   Joined 15.6 Years Ago  

opportunity777

Posted 13 June 2019 - 08:22 AM

No kidding? Why hasn't it been re-released on more current systems (since, what, PS1?), EVER? Doesn't Konami like money??

Why? Even with the censoring, the Sega CD version is the definitive version of the game, which is available in English. It is also the only version in English.

In addition, every version has some faults to it (including censorship), but it's commonly accepted that the Sega CD one is the best one. Konami or another team would literally need to redo Snatcher to make it better than what's available now, which won't happen for a product like this.

#45 kaydigi   BK All Day CAGiversary!   1332 Posts   Joined 12.5 Years Ago  

Posted 13 June 2019 - 11:41 AM

Why? Even with the censoring, the Sega CD version is the definitive version of the game, which is available in English. It is also the only version in English.

In addition, every version has some faults to it (including censorship), but it's commonly accepted that the Sega CD one is the best one. Konami or another team would literally need to redo Snatcher to make it better than what's available now, which won't happen for a product like this.

Need a Sega CD mini then.... so I can have Snatcher and Scottie Pippen shut up and jam :lol:

#46 urge26   No time for games CAGiversary!   353 Posts   Joined 13.4 Years Ago  

Posted 13 June 2019 - 01:15 PM

If Konami had an English version of Snatcher on this, the internets would explode.  No way it's happening.

#47 lionheart059   CAG in Training CAGiversary!   525 Posts   Joined 6.5 Years Ago  

lionheart059

Posted 13 June 2019 - 01:23 PM

I never would have thought I would have miniature models sitting next to my original retro game systems. How far will it go?

Mini-Apple Pippin incoming

#48 Sigma   King of Strong Style CAGiversary!   4096 Posts   Joined 15.0 Years Ago  

Posted 13 June 2019 - 02:02 PM

I'd rather not see Snatcher added to this and would much rather get an HD remaster of Snatcher and Policenauts. 

#49 bee01   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   400 Posts   Joined 14.8 Years Ago  

Posted 13 June 2019 - 05:39 PM

Konami probably doesn't want to put much effort into anything Kojima related.

#50 n64ra   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   2355 Posts   Joined 11.8 Years Ago  

Posted 13 June 2019 - 06:52 PM

Similar to the architecture of the original console, it features a single controller port and will only include one original-sized controller in the box.  Hence, multiplayer partying will definitely require an additional purchase of a multitap accessory and any extra controllers you need for local co-op.  

regions.jpg

Did Konami announce a multitap accessory?

#51 FatBoyInside   Money costs too much CAGiversary!   2466 Posts   Joined 15.4 Years Ago  

FatBoyInside

Posted 13 June 2019 - 08:39 PM

Did Konami announce a multitap accessory?

Yes, it will be sold separately.  It is highlighted as "Point 3" on the list of features off the official website.

#52 Richard Kain   The Kaiser CAGiversary!   2701 Posts   Joined 11.9 Years Ago  

Richard Kain

Posted 13 June 2019 - 08:57 PM

It is kind of an important feature. Many Turbo Grafx games had solid local multiplayer. I also don't think that the Real TV sports series had any official licensing, so it is likely that they will be showing up in this thing. They were well-regarded, and generally held up as must-have titles for the Turbo Grafx. They are easy additions to the mini's catalog.

Konami HAS been hiring M2 for their recent retro collections, such as Castlevania and Contra. Given that M2 already got picked for the Sega Genesis mini, I am hopeful that Konami follows suit and hires them for the Turbo Grafx mini. The early accounts coming out of E3 regarding the Genesis mini are sounding solid.

#53 bigbadboaz   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   261 Posts   Joined 15.5 Years Ago  

bigbadboaz

Posted 14 June 2019 - 06:55 AM

The interesting thing, though, is that these minis have two controller ports. The original consoles only had one, which was what made the separate multitap both essential and outrageous. People will at least be able to play 2p here out of the box.

I'd have to disagree with you about the TV Sports games. Those were terrible and I don't remember any differing opinions when they were actually contemporary. And despite the lack of official sports licenses, is Cinemaware around in any form anymore, for licensing the actual games...?

#54 JohnnySako   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   547 Posts   Joined 8.3 Years Ago  

JohnnySako

Posted 14 June 2019 - 10:23 AM

Looks like Starbreeze acquired the rights to Cinemaware's catalogue in 2016.

https://www.starbree...er-crown-wings/

#55 chrislaustin   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   7066 Posts   Joined 13.5 Years Ago  

chrislaustin

Posted 14 June 2019 - 10:38 AM

Whats probably the coolest thing about this being offered(the PC Engine anyway), is the size of that unit, as it could be 1:1 and would still be about the size of the other minis on the market. LOL The PC Engine is truly one of gamings best systems, sadly NEC completely screwed the pooch on the US offering.

#56 opportunity777   Disco Fever CAGiversary!   5214 Posts   Joined 15.6 Years Ago  

opportunity777

Posted 14 June 2019 - 12:04 PM

Whats probably the coolest thing about this being offered(the PC Engine anyway), is the size of that unit, as it could be 1:1 and would still be about the size of the other minis on the market. LOL The PC Engine is truly one of gamings best systems, sadly NEC completely screwed the pooch on the US offering.

Most of the best games are left in Japan, and there are very few translation project of those titles. It's sad really. Lots of great games that we may never be able to play. Also, the emulation scene really blows because the best emulator is closed-source. I don't even think it's being worked on anymore.

#57 n64ra   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   2355 Posts   Joined 11.8 Years Ago  

Posted 14 June 2019 - 03:09 PM

Looks like Starbreeze acquired the rights to Cinemaware's catalogue in 2016.

https://www.starbree...er-crown-wings/

Starbreeze damn near died after the disaster of Overkill's The Walking Dead. I suppose 13 million from Microsoft for Psychonauts 2's publishing rights should help.

#58 FatBoyInside   Money costs too much CAGiversary!   2466 Posts   Joined 15.4 Years Ago  

FatBoyInside

Posted 14 June 2019 - 03:43 PM

Fun observation :  The official trailer clearly shows the LORDS OF THUNDER schmup title screen scrolling several times in the background collage of game imagery, so high probability that it will be on the list of pre-loaded games (hopefully for ALL regions).  Were there any other gaming screenshots that caught your attention? Please chime in. 

#59 aniousjoe   Mr. Ka-ra-teh CAGiversary!   854 Posts   Joined 13.9 Years Ago  

Posted 14 June 2019 - 09:03 PM

A scoop him up?

#60 Agent Hero   Member, Thrift Shop All-Stars CAGiversary!   239 Posts   Joined 6.8 Years Ago  

Agent Hero

Posted 14 June 2019 - 10:17 PM

Need a Sega CD mini then.... so I can have Snatcher and Scottie Pippen shut up and jam :lol:

Mr. Barkley was he who ordered thee to cease talking and dunk forcefully.