* * * * * 2 votes

TurboGrafx-16 Mini Retro Console Announced @ E3 from Konami

#61 FatBoyInside   Money costs too much CAGiversary!   2466 Posts   Joined 15.4 Years Ago  

FatBoyInside

Posted 14 June 2019 - 11:00 PM

More key impressions from the TG-16 mini E3 showcase mock-up display:

- 85% of the original console size

- Controller uses USB-port and video-out via HDMI

- Sliding-type power switch just like original

- Removable cover for expansion slot on the backside is just for show

- Despite how it appears, there is no insert slot for HU cards 

There are still several months into finalizing the game list, so Konami is taking suggestions on games to be added over on social media.  They are accepting title requests across the entire spectrum of expansion releases (i.e. base HU cards, CD-Rom, Super CD-Rom)

Konami might also consider releasing the different regional versions as "limited edition"  in your territory if there's enough demand.

#62 bigbadboaz   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   261 Posts   Joined 15.5 Years Ago  

bigbadboaz

Posted 14 June 2019 - 11:59 PM

85%??? That's huge compared to the other minis. Wonder what they are thinking?

#63 FatBoyInside   Money costs too much CAGiversary!   2466 Posts   Joined 15.4 Years Ago  

FatBoyInside

Posted 15 June 2019 - 12:29 AM

85%??? That's huge compared to the other minis. Wonder what they are thinking?

I concur.  However, the PC Engine original console has a relatively small footprint already.  The design of the TG-16 is just ...ugh.  Maybe when it came out in the late 80s and early 90s, bigger means better for the NA market haha.

Quirky Tidbits :

PS Classic Mini is 55% the size of the original Playstation console, but only 20% of the total volume.

Upcoming Sega Mini will be approximately 50% the size of the original Genesis console upon release.

SNES Mini is roughly 1/7 scale from original and the NES Mini Classic Edition is "palm-sized".  

#64 HiGHFLYiN9   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   27 Posts   Joined 11.7 Years Ago  

HiGHFLYiN9

Posted 15 June 2019 - 01:23 AM

Yeah, I'm gonna need to get at least one or two of these :) Hopefully AirZonk is on there, so amazing...

Agreed FatBoy, the Coregrafx are already really small, so the size shouldn't be an issue. The TG16 mini OTOH with the back cover is gonna be stupidly large... I might pass on that one because of the size. 

Konami has been sitting on a classic game gold mine with Hudson that they really have barely tapped, it's a huge waste of potential revenue IMHO, whereas companies like SEGA and SNK have been awesome with releasing classics on many different platforms. 

#65 bigbadboaz   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   261 Posts   Joined 15.5 Years Ago  

bigbadboaz

Posted 15 June 2019 - 01:47 AM

Yeah, it makes sense with the Core etc. but not for the TG-16. Like they felt they had to make the same decision across the entire line. As already mentioned, the TG was the only "normal-sized" console of the original bunch.

#66 happydogs   Razor barrel. CAGiversary!   513 Posts   Joined 11.1 Years Ago  

happydogs

Posted 15 June 2019 - 04:37 AM

I never would have thought I would have miniature models sitting next to my original retro game systems. How far will it go?

An XBox mini, that is still bigger than every other mini console put together.

#67 Josef   Touched the dead CAGiversary!   12350 Posts   Joined 15.2 Years Ago  

Posted 15 June 2019 - 05:08 AM

This thing has so much potential.  Hopefully they don't Fuck it up.

#68 Jurai  

Posted 15 June 2019 - 06:54 AM

An XBox mini, that is still bigger than every other mini console put together.

I dropped a regular Xbox on my foot once, that was painful

#69 SmileyMcSmiles   Coulrophobia CAGiversary!   2386 Posts   Joined 14.6 Years Ago  

SmileyMcSmiles

Posted 15 June 2019 - 08:25 AM

This thing has so much potential.  Hopefully they don't Fuck it up.

You and me both man. I have fond memories of my TGFX-16...the initial  batch of games are mostly great so far. But, no one has even mentioned Legendary Axe, Keith Courage In Alpha Zone, Blazing Lazers!!!! We also need Devil's Crush, which is better than Alien Crush...Bloody Wolf (which was Capcom's Commando on steroids), Side Arms, Vigilante, Dragon Spirit, Forgotten Worlds, Ordyne, and the complete Bonk's series.

We can skip China Warrior, mainly because my friends laughed and made fun of me after I bought it and ran through it for a mere 10 minutes.  That game sucked.  I did return it to Babbages. I swear!  :cry:

What I really hope is that Konami takes their emulation serious and doesn't half-ass it. I mean, look at what they did with one of their prized franchises in the Silent Hill Collection for PS3? 

For me this is going to be a waiting game.

#70 MaximusDM   What is a man!? CAGiversary!   415 Posts   Joined 9.2 Years Ago  

Posted 15 June 2019 - 11:43 AM

I'll hold off until they sell the in home pachinko machine.

#71 gepet0   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1331 Posts   Joined 13.7 Years Ago  

Posted 15 June 2019 - 12:05 PM

The reason IMO this is a must buy is because this is one unit that did well and was not over exposed or pimped out with 50 different classic releases.  

I remember the release week of the turbo graphic.  That was a tough one because the genesis had just been released.  Both were sitting side by side but both wanted 199.00.  Which back in the late 80's was a lot of money.   At the time I chose the genesis.  Turbo had the arcade game Vigilante at the time but the Genesis box art was bad ass.  The turbo was ahead of it's time with the cartridge  \ chip and people didn't know what to make of it.  

#72 defpally   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1857 Posts   Joined 9.2 Years Ago  

defpally

Posted 15 June 2019 - 02:31 PM

The reason IMO this is a must buy is because this is one unit that did well and was not over exposed or pimped out with 50 different classic releases.  

I remember the release week of the turbo graphic.  That was a tough one because the genesis had just been released.  Both were sitting side by side but both wanted 199.00.  Which back in the late 80's was a lot of money.   At the time I chose the genesis.  Turbo had the arcade game Vigilante at the time but the Genesis box art was bad ass.  The turbo was ahead of it's time with the cartridge  \ chip and people didn't know what to make of it.  

Small correction, the Genesis was $189.99 and the TG16 was $199.99.  And the chip card thing had already been done on the Master System.

Their biggest mistake was coming out a year too late, if it came out the previous year (1988) it would have cleaned up.  Then drop the CD attachment to counter the Genesis in 1989.  As it was, the Genesis had a week or two to sit on the shelves ahead of the TG16 and had a load of well known Sega titles (or sequels) and the TG16 had a bunch of lesser known arcade games and other games.  Keith Courage and Altered Beast were both really shitty pack in games, but people at least knew Altered Beast.  Personally I bought the Genesis it for Ghouls n' Ghosts (which people knew from the arcade), but Legendary Axe relied on word of mouth.

The TG16 was always hamstrung by the fact that much of the amazing Japan library couldn't be brought over.  This is one case when the Japan version is almost a no brainer over the US version.  It'll be much more compact and likely have a far superior set of games.

#73 e3man01   Cheap Assin' before most of you even picked up a controller CAGiversary!   353 Posts   Joined 10.9 Years Ago  

Posted Yesterday, 12:46 AM

I'd LOVE to see them put Lords of Thunder, Forgotten Worlds (yes, better than Genesis) & the entire Bonk/Zonk series on it.
Even better if Splatterhouse had the option of US or Japanese version; white hockey mask + upside down cross!

#74 gepet0   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1331 Posts   Joined 13.7 Years Ago  

Posted Yesterday, 03:26 AM

Small correction, the Genesis was $189.99 and the TG16 was $199.99.  And the chip card thing had already been done on the Master System.

Their biggest mistake was coming out a year too late, if it came out the previous year (1988) it would have cleaned up.  Then drop the CD attachment to counter the Genesis in 1989.  As it was, the Genesis had a week or two to sit on the shelves ahead of the TG16 and had a load of well known Sega titles (or sequels) and the TG16 had a bunch of lesser known arcade games and other games.  Keith Courage and Altered Beast were both really shitty pack in games, but people at least knew Altered Beast.  Personally I bought the Genesis it for Ghouls n' Ghosts (which people knew from the arcade), but Legendary Axe relied on word of mouth.

The TG16 was always hamstrung by the fact that much of the amazing Japan library couldn't be brought over.  This is one case when the Japan version is almost a no brainer over the US version.  It'll be much more compact and likely have a far superior set of games.

189 \ 200  that was a lot of money back then.  Then ask them to pony up more for a cd attachment?  Ghouls and ghost came out about a month after launch because I was able to exchange Last battle for it.  LOL  Sega had the arcade name at the time that helped boost them. Plus sega made the ultimate move a few months after launch they ran an ad buy a a genesis and get a free game ( one of 4 you choose) and a controller.  The Mgr hooked me up again bless her.  The mailed me thunder force 2 

It was a tough battle overall for the turbo.  But they had vigilante a double dragon clone and it was a close to arcade port.   

#75 defpally   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1857 Posts   Joined 9.2 Years Ago  

defpally

Posted Yesterday, 05:59 AM

189 \ 200  that was a lot of money back then.  Then ask them to pony up more for a cd attachment?  Ghouls and ghost came out about a month after launch because I was able to exchange Last battle for it.  LOL  Sega had the arcade name at the time that helped boost them. Plus sega made the ultimate move a few months after launch they ran an ad buy a a genesis and get a free game ( one of 4 you choose) and a controller.  The Mgr hooked me up again bless her.  The mailed me thunder force 2 

It was a tough battle overall for the turbo.  But they had vigilante a double dragon clone and it was a close to arcade port.   

Vigilante wasn't a great game, it was a clumsy Kung Fu Master clone, not really Double Dragon.  Legendary Axe was by far the best game at or near release, the main issue is no one had heard of it over here.  Last Battle was indeed hot garbage, at least in Japan it had a pretty decent license upon which it was based.  Sega's master move was making Sonic a pack in game, that's when it went nuts.

That's why I think TG16 should have released in '88.  A year ahead of the Genesis (still a good year after the Japan release in '87).  It would have been much more impressive then.  Then drop the CD the next year in '89 next to the Genesis because having an expensive upgrade available practically the day it came out was just insulting to people.

#76 gepet0   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1331 Posts   Joined 13.7 Years Ago  

Posted Yesterday, 11:13 AM

Vigilante wasn't a great game, it was a clumsy Kung Fu Master clone, not really Double Dragon.  Legendary Axe was by far the best game at or near release, the main issue is no one had heard of it over here.  Last Battle was indeed hot garbage, at least in Japan it had a pretty decent license upon which it was based.  Sega's master move was making Sonic a pack in game, that's when it went nuts.

That's why I think TG16 should have released in '88.  A year ahead of the Genesis (still a good year after the Japan release in '87).  It would have been much more impressive then.  Then drop the CD the next year in '89 next to the Genesis because having an expensive upgrade available practically the day it came out was just insulting to people.

Vigilante may not have been great but it was popular at least at the arcades I went to.  IMO that pack in was nice but but if I recall they had a

nice base by the time they did that especially with Madden's release. The genesis poster of the upcoming games was sick. Phantasy star 2, that game was $10 bucks more 69.00. 2 golden axe

The pack in gave them a mascot and help push their blast processor hype.  The controller and a free game was a hundred dollars worth of savings.   That was hard to pass up.  The hook back then was try to get as close to the arcade as you can get. LOL  legendary Axe was a great game the mags tried hard to push it.  

#77 defpally   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1857 Posts   Joined 9.2 Years Ago  

defpally

Posted Yesterday, 02:53 PM

Vigilante may not have been great but it was popular at least at the arcades I went to.  IMO that pack in was nice but but if I recall they had a

nice base by the time they did that especially with Madden's release. The genesis poster of the upcoming games was sick. Phantasy star 2, that game was $10 bucks more 69.00. 2 golden axe

The pack in gave them a mascot and help push their blast processor hype.  The controller and a free game was a hundred dollars worth of savings.   That was hard to pass up.  The hook back then was try to get as close to the arcade as you can get. LOL  legendary Axe was a great game the mags tried hard to push it.  

Yeah, Vigilante wasn't very big elsewhere.  I knew about it (I worked at an arcade that got all the gaming press stuff) but only saw it a few times in larger arcades.  I actually had the Sega Master System version of it which wasn't bad.

Phantasy Star 2 was $69.99. but it was $20 more expensive than most games which were $49 to $54 (Ghouls n Ghosts).  Madden and Lakers vs. Celtics did give the console a big boost in the fall of '90, but it did have the advantage of having Revenge of Shinobi and Golden Axe come out in January '90 after release which were huge arcade games.  Sega just had a much better arcade pedigree and they also put some focus into sports games which is what helped the US audience.

TG16 just had a much bigger hill to climb being alongside the more powerful Genesis that had Sega's name on it.  Add in most of the best games on it were not things people recognized from the arcades (since we didn't have the Internet back then).

#78 spacegundam0079   Itchy, Tasty ... CAGiversary!   1441 Posts   Joined 12.2 Years Ago  

spacegundam0079

Posted Yesterday, 03:09 PM

You mean last battle/Hokuto No Ken for the MD/Genesis?

#79 defpally   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1857 Posts   Joined 9.2 Years Ago  

defpally

Posted Yesterday, 03:46 PM

You mean last battle/Hokuto No Ken for the MD/Genesis?

Yes.