Target.com: Save 30% on a current game when you pre-order a new game

found an interesting deal, put crash team racing ($40) and medieval ($30) in my cart and got $12 off. so giving me the 30% off crash even though its still technically a preorder. modern warfare works the same way, gives $18 off when paired with another preorder.

examples of preorders working like this (only tried ps4 versions)

Crash Team Racing

Modern Warfare

Death Stranding

Samurai Shodown

Watch Dogs Legion Gold ($33 off)

for those wondering, i did a mock order with watch dogs legion, after cancelling the preorder i still got $21.35 off the total price. ordered death stranding for $49.62 after tax with preorder cancellation.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok, I pre ordered Guacamelee One Two Punch on Switch for $37.49.  I also ordered Sonic Team Racing on Switch for $29.99.

After 30% off discount and 5% off red card, my total was $59.09 (after tax).  

It says I received a total of $11.92 in discounts, which makes sense (30% of 29.99 = $9 + 5% of $58.48 = $2.92).

Sonic has now shipped and I canceled the Guacamelee pre order.  Now it says my order total is $26.26 after tax.

Sonic was $29.99 - $5.30 (discount) + $1.57 (tax).

If you figure I got the 5% off for my red card, that would amount to a $1.50 discount.  
Which means I got $3.80 in additional discount for doing the pre order and cancel trick.  

Not the greatest deal, only amounting to 12.7% off in addition to the red card savings.  Still, not bad if you don't have GCU.  

I tried to preorder watch dogs and borderlands both deluxe and i cancelled watch dogs and only got 20 bucks off borderlands.  I can do better at bestbuy.  Wonder if there are some good deals here though...

Pre-ordered medievil and watch dogs 3. Cancelled medievil and wd3 new total is $51.35. target shipping is not on release day fyi so that blows but it's better than than Best buys pre-order for $60 and $10 certificate

I did this with Watch Dogs Legion Gold + Bubsy and cancelled Bubsy.

Ending up costing $79.96 + tax

Considering I got the $100 gift card for $90 earlier this year this is a good deal for me even better than BB GCU + $10 Certificate

Ordered Death Stranding SE and Medievil and cancelled medievil. Total was $55 after with redcard discount and tax ($17 off)

This promotion may be active in stores now too. I saw a sign at one of my local Targets about the promo going on

How does price matching work for target online? Bloodstained finally dropped price at walmart for other systems besides ps4

That’s cool but online is better cuz pre orders get discounted too
I'd argue that in-store is better because you pay $1 to get the discount on the game that you want to buy today, and you never have to pick up the preorder. There was also a time when you could get a $5 gift card in store when you bought the game that you had "preordered" if you still had the preorder card, and it would still work on a purchase of that game a few months down the line after the MSRP had dropped. I got a few $5 gift cards on a Black Friday purchase of some Nintendo games for the Wii U months after I should have picked up the preorders for those games.

fyi, starting tomorrow Target has 30% off select ps4, xbox 1 and nintendo switch games with order pickup. no clue if it will work on preorders but it could potentially be a better deal.

Damn was final fantasy remake removed from the promo or it sold out? Can’t find it anymore but went ahead and bought dragon ball kakarot which is showing as $40 for now after cancelling one other game.

bread's done
Back