* * * * - 4 votes

The Arcade1Up Tremendous Deals Thread

#841 hohle  

Posted 19 November 2019 - 08:26 PM

I picked up on of these last night, but don't plan on setting it up until after Christmas. With Atgames at the helm, I checked, and checked, and tripled checked the reviews I was reading and was quite shocked at how thoughtfully this is set up for the price. There's also already an active community around it helping to support side-loaded games, alternate emulator cores, support for additional systems (RPi, etc.). The components seem like generic knock offs, but relatively high quality knock offs compatible with brand-name parts if replacements are desired. Even the game selection, while not perfect, is reasonable and are all at least licensed games.

A bigger screen would have been nice, but really, for the price, a 24" 1080p monitor is probably the best that could be done.

I haven't seen anyone tear off the heatsink and identify the processor running. Looking at the Add On tool, it's at least a 64-bit ARM processor.

#842 soonerdoc   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   641 Posts   Joined 16.0 Years Ago  

Posted 19 November 2019 - 08:31 PM

I recently just started following this thread and was looking at getting the FF cab during BF but might have to look into this instead. All the Sam's in Alaska shut down a few years back but we have plenty of Walmarts. Would you say it's worth $600?

Sent from my PH-1 using Tapatalk

I don’t know that it is worth it for $600 for what you get out of the box at Walmart but the ability to add Mame ROMs to the unit and have them map controls appropriately to the existing controls is pretty damned great.

For $500 at Sam’s it also comes with a dongle that includes 10 Bandai Namco games including Galaga and Mappy. To me this is a no brainer if you are thinking about a mame cabinet. Heck, if you wanted to gut the machine and replace the joysticks and buttons with Sanwa equipment and throw a preconfigured pi with a mame image on there it would probably not nay cost you $100.

#843 KrAzY3   The 3 is silent. CAGiversary!   645 Posts   Joined 14.9 Years Ago  

Posted 19 November 2019 - 08:35 PM

With Atgames at the helm, I checked, and checked, and tripled checked the reviews I was reading and was quite shocked at how thoughtfully this is set up for the price.

I read that they worked with some knowledgeable people in the community. It's kind of shocking but it really does seem like quality wise, the first arcade offering from Atgames is quite a bit ahead of Arcade1Up (I have 3 cabs but I mean the first generation in particular had a lot of issues).

May be they see this as a way to go beyond their well earned reputation of releasing cheap crap. Next to Arcade1Up which early on at least cut corners every chance they got, this offering is head and shoulders above, though I have to concede Arcad1Ups look so much better...

#844 BrandonJF   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   616 Posts   Joined 11.3 Years Ago  

BrandonJF

Posted 19 November 2019 - 08:45 PM

I read that they worked with some knowledgeable people in the community. It's kind of shocking but it really does seem like quality wise, the first arcade offering from Atgames is quite a bit ahead of Arcade1Up (I have 3 cabs but I mean the first generation in particular had a lot of issues).

May be they see this as a way to go beyond their well earned reputation of releasing cheap crap. Next to Arcade1Up which early on at least cut corners every chance they got, this offering is head and shoulders above, though I have to concede Arcad1Ups look so much better...

And that is big for me.  Plus, looking through the list of games in the Atgames cab, I would hope there is a way to just hide a good number of them.  Given the sheer number, I would rather not even clutter the menu up with those old Atari console games.  Really, having console games in an arcade cab isn't something I would really be looking for.  I'm sure not against it, but it isn't a real selling point for me.

But, the biggest appeal to me for the Arcade1Up cabs are the attempt to replicate the look of the original arcade cabs.  IMO, they look amazing and I will 100% look at them more than I will play them.  When I saw "Tron" in the list of arcade games in the Atgames cab, my first thought was "ohmigod!  TRON!"   My next thought was "I sure hope Arcade1up makes a Tron cab."  After releasing that Star Wars cab, I am pretty confident it is coming....

#845 natboy   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   71 Posts   Joined 14.0 Years Ago  

Posted 20 November 2019 - 12:12 AM

I don’t know that it is worth it for $600 for what you get out of the box at Walmart but the ability to add Mame ROMs to the unit and have them map controls appropriately to the existing controls is pretty damned great.

For $500 at Sam’s it also comes with a dongle that includes 10 Bandai Namco games including Galaga and Mappy. To me this is a no brainer if you are thinking about a mame cabinet. Heck, if you wanted to gut the machine and replace the joysticks and buttons with Sanwa equipment and throw a preconfigured pi with a mame image on there it would probably not nay cost you $100.

I'd jump on the $500 for sure, but my closest Sam's it's through Canada since I'm in Alaska haha

#846 natboy   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   71 Posts   Joined 14.0 Years Ago  

Posted 20 November 2019 - 12:15 AM

Atgames also released a SDK, I'm hopefully someone better at programming than me will dive into and add more features to the GUI and compatibility

#847 MrshllJcb   Drinkin High Life CAGiversary!   4356 Posts   Joined 9.0 Years Ago  

Posted 20 November 2019 - 12:59 AM

I ordered a custom CP from 99 Lives arcade a while back and it came out amazing. I had him install a trackball and I installed a GRS spinner, but haven’t been able to get either to work with the Wolfanoz A1up image. The guy who runs 99 Lives arcade was having similar problems getting them to run on his builds, (apparently the original A1up image from ArcadePunks didn’t include “mouse” controls) but he recently got it figured out. I contacted him about helping me get the controls sorted out and he’s loading the updated image on an SD card I mailed him. Incredible customer service, and really great work, if you’re considering a custom CP it’s definitely worth taking a look, especially if you can get an active promo code. I will warn that each CP is handmade per your design, so expect it to take around a month or so. I will also say that I made 2 changes at different times to my order after placing it by contacting them over Facebook messenger and they were not only helpful, but it didn’t add any extra time to the build

(Not sure why pic keeps rotating but you get the idea)

https://99livesarcad...323232D49.jpeg]

EC201B0C-DBD9-4077-9971-2193E3090A95.jpeg

#848 chrislaustin   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   7317 Posts   Joined 13.9 Years Ago  

chrislaustin

Posted 20 November 2019 - 11:18 AM

When I saw "Tron" in the list of arcade games in the Atgames cab, my first thought was "ohmigod!  TRON!"   My next thought was "I sure hope Arcade1up makes a Tron cab."  After releasing that Star Wars cab, I am pretty confident it is coming....

Yeah, Tron could be a major score for A1U, but I'll assume the biggest hurdle would be the licensing, but since they got Star Wars, anything is possible I suppose? SW is one of classic gaming's biggest titles, and due to the unique yolk controller, made that one a must have. I'm just not sure how high the demand would be for Tron, and if it would off set the higher cost due to behind the scenes approvals that are needed.

They could also add many other "run, turn & shoot" titles like Front Line, Ikari Warriors, Heavy Barrel Ect, that could bring a higher level of interest, but those deals would have to be worked out as well. I would love to see Tron though, for no other reason than to see how well they capture the look of the arcade, as Tron was one of the coolest cabs from back in the day.

#849 defpally   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1967 Posts   Joined 9.7 Years Ago  

defpally

Posted 20 November 2019 - 01:15 PM

Yeah, Tron could be a major score for A1U, but I'll assume the biggest hurdle would be the licensing, but since they got Star Wars, anything is possible I suppose? SW is one of classic gaming's biggest titles, and due to the unique yolk controller, made that one a must have. I'm just not sure how high the demand would be for Tron, and if it would off set the higher cost due to behind the scenes approvals that are needed.

They could also add many other "run, turn & shoot" titles like Front Line, Ikari Warriors, Heavy Barrel Ect, that could bring a higher level of interest, but those deals would have to be worked out as well. I would love to see Tron though, for no other reason than to see how well they capture the look of the arcade, as Tron was one of the coolest cabs from back in the day.

The main problem with those is the rotate sticks aren't common anymore - mainly because they are not a sturdy design.  I worked in an arcade growing up (a Putt-Putt) and those sticks were not very reliable.  And to assume Arcade1up will not be including top end sticks (as evidenced by their questionable quality on spinners and some other parts) makes it a less than ideal option.  But, that said an Ikari Warriors/Victory Road/Ikari 3 cabinet would be nice - but I kind of doubt they would bundle with Data East's Heavy Barrel and Midnight Resistance, but that would be cool.

#850 wargod   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   758 Posts   Joined 13.7 Years Ago  

Posted 20 November 2019 - 01:23 PM

You may all want to reconsider playing on these little 1up units when the Ultimate Legends unit is a full size cabinet and much much better.  Your back will thank you.

#851 Sigma   King of Strong Style CAGiversary!   4331 Posts   Joined 15.4 Years Ago  

Posted 20 November 2019 - 01:35 PM

I ordered a custom CP from 99 Lives arcade a while back and it came out amazing. I had him install a trackball and I installed a GRS spinner, but haven’t been able to get either to work with the Wolfanoz A1up image. The guy who runs 99 Lives arcade was having similar problems getting them to run on his builds, (apparently the original A1up image from ArcadePunks didn’t include “mouse” controls) but he recently got it figured out. I contacted him about helping me get the controls sorted out and he’s loading the updated image on an SD card I mailed him. Incredible customer service, and really great work, if you’re considering a custom CP it’s definitely worth taking a look, especially if you can get an active promo code. I will warn that each CP is handmade per your design, so expect it to take around a month or so. I will also say that I made 2 changes at different times to my order after placing it by contacting them over Facebook messenger and they were not only helpful, but it didn’t add any extra time to the build

(Not sure why pic keeps rotating but you get the idea)

https://99livesarcad...323232D49.jpeg]

attachicon.gifEC201B0C-DBD9-4077-9971-2193E3090A95.jpeg

This looks great. Been looking into this route for my Final Fight cabinet. This would save me a ton of time and probably not cost all that much more than it would to do it myself and I am sure this will come out way better than what I could do. 

#852 kwick7   CAG Lurking Veteran CAGiversary!   385 Posts   Joined 14.7 Years Ago  

Posted 20 November 2019 - 01:50 PM

You may all want to reconsider playing on these little 1up units when the Ultimate Legends unit is a full size cabinet and much much better. Your back will thank you.

Guess you’ve never tried a chair or stool or riser? Each of mine has a little chair and makes everything perfect height.

I’m not touching one of these AtGames cabinets- entirely because of AtGames’ previous garbage. It’d have to be half off at least for me to even think about it. I couldn’t care less about the majority of games on there and the whole “BYOG” thing is total bs. Let’s see how the modding on these goes in the coming months.

I’d still likely just rather build entirely from scratch.

#853 Dadpool  

Posted 20 November 2019 - 01:54 PM

Hi Everyone! I got a question I was hoping someone may know the answer to since we're all savvy shoppers here. :)

So on the Walmart App on my phone I run a search for Arcade1Up and am provided with a list of what's available. I'll use the Centipede Arcade1Up cabinet for my example. It's showing that it's on sale from $299.99 as $199.99 HOWEVER if I choose to pick it up in store there's a few around me that shows the price as $75. Today's November 20th and the pick up would be for the 26th. So it's not in stock at the stores around me for that price.

So I'm wondering if the $75 is just a mirage. Adding the item to my cart and walking through the ordering process to get the in-store pickup doesn't change the price at all.

#854 Sigma   King of Strong Style CAGiversary!   4331 Posts   Joined 15.4 Years Ago  

Posted 20 November 2019 - 02:00 PM

Guess you’ve never tried a chair or stool or riser? Each of mine has a little chair and makes everything perfect height.

I’m not touching one of these AtGames cabinets- entirely because of AtGames’ previous garbage. It’d have to be half off at least for me to even think about it. I couldn’t care less about the majority of games on there and the whole “BYOG” thing is total bs. Let’s see how the modding on these goes in the coming months.

That's how I feel on the AtGames cabinet. I like the idea of it, but AtGames has produced utter trash in the past that spending $500 on a product they've produced is not something I am willing to do. I personally like the Arcade 1Up and don't find it uncomfortable to play on with a riser. 

Hi Everyone! I got a question I was hoping someone may know the answer to since we're all savvy shoppers here. :)

So on the Walmart App on my phone I run a search for Arcade1Up and am provided with a list of what's available. I'll use the Centipede Arcade1Up cabinet for my example. It's showing that it's on sale from $299.99 as $199.99 HOWEVER if I choose to pick it up in store there's a few around me that shows the price as $75. Today's November 20th and the pick up would be for the 26th. So it's not in stock at the stores around me for that price.

So I'm wondering if the $75 is just a mirage. Adding the item to my cart and walking through the ordering process to get the in-store pickup doesn't change the price at all.

I'd go for it, good chance you'll get it for $74 if that is what you are seeing for the pick-up price. I personally have not seen many Centipede cabinets around me, but it's definitely one of the more likely to be $75 if you are to see it. 

#855 KrAzY3   The 3 is silent. CAGiversary!   645 Posts   Joined 14.9 Years Ago  

Posted 20 November 2019 - 03:25 PM

That's how I feel on the AtGames cabinet. I like the idea of it, but AtGames has produced utter trash in the past that spending $500 on a product they've produced is not something I am willing to do. I personally like the Arcade 1Up and don't find it uncomfortable to play on with a riser. . 

Just to reiterate a previous point I made, and I own 3 Arcade1Ups.... everything I've seen indicates the AtGames cab is superior construction and parts. Now, may be if we're comparing the third generation of Arcade1Ups, let's say the limited edition Marvel Cab or something it might be a more equal comparison but otherwise we're talking as good or better parts across the board with functionality that just blows Arcade1Ups away.

So, the spinner is better. Don't need to buy a deck protector, don't need to buy a riser, doesn't come with sticks that can't do moves like SF2 did, doesn't have sound issues like some of the Arcade1Ups, etc... just better quality, period. I get the reputation, but ironically it's Arcade1Ups that have completely shit the bed when it comes to quality. I literally received an Arcade1Up that someone had drawn on with a marker to try to hide scratches. It was brand new mind you...

That's why I've passed up a couple (Galaga and Space Invaders) for 75 bucks. The things had one game on them really, they're basically just for looks. If we're talking full price, there's just no comparison. The only reason someone would remotely consider paying 350 (w/ riser) or 400 (TMNT) compared to 500 for the Atgames cab is just the look, that's it.

I have an Asteroids unit that's still not put together. I don't even know what to do with it, spinner is a fucking piece of junk and it's a question of how much time and effort I want to put into making it not suck.

#856 chrislaustin   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   7317 Posts   Joined 13.9 Years Ago  

chrislaustin

Posted 20 November 2019 - 03:56 PM

The main problem with those is the rotate sticks aren't common anymore - mainly because they are not a sturdy design.  I worked in an arcade growing up (a Putt-Putt) and those sticks were not very reliable.  And to assume Arcade1up will not be including top end sticks (as evidenced by their questionable quality on spinners and some other parts) makes it a less than ideal option.  But, that said an Ikari Warriors/Victory Road/Ikari 3 cabinet would be nice - but I kind of doubt they would bundle with Data East's Heavy Barrel and Midnight Resistance, but that would be cool.

Yeah, my mention is actually a work around to that rotating joystick, as I'm aware of the issues with those as well. Years ago when I had my custom arcade stick built, those sticks were on my list of wants, but then between me and the builder, we came up with the plan "B". Tron works the same way as all those games, it just uses the flight stick to move, and the spinner to rotate, two rather common arcade parts.

Those original sticks combined the rotation and movement all in one, which is of course where problems came from(and limited releases). The only real issue is that the flight stick would need two separate action buttons, as one is for fire, and then a secondary one for grenades, etc. I believe Tron only had the one action button, and of course there is the learning curve of use, but I believe this set up is better than those original spinner sticks as you can move and rotate faster with this configuration.

#857 Sigma   King of Strong Style CAGiversary!   4331 Posts   Joined 15.4 Years Ago  

Posted 20 November 2019 - 05:27 PM

Just to reiterate a previous point I made, and I own 3 Arcade1Ups.... everything I've seen indicates the AtGames cab is superior construction and parts. Now, may be if we're comparing the third generation of Arcade1Ups, let's say the limited edition Marvel Cab or something it might be a more equal comparison but otherwise we're talking as good or better parts across the board with functionality that just blows Arcade1Ups away.

So, the spinner is better. Don't need to buy a deck protector, don't need to buy a riser, doesn't come with sticks that can't do moves like SF2 did, doesn't have sound issues like some of the Arcade1Ups, etc... just better quality, period. I get the reputation, but ironically it's Arcade1Ups that have completely shit the bed when it comes to quality. I literally received an Arcade1Up that someone had drawn on with a marker to try to hide scratches. It was brand new mind you...

That's why I've passed up a couple (Galaga and Space Invaders) for 75 bucks. The things had one game on them really, they're basically just for looks. If we're talking full price, there's just no comparison. The only reason someone would remotely consider paying 350 (w/ riser) or 400 (TMNT) compared to 500 for the Atgames cab is just the look, that's it.

I have an Asteroids unit that's still not put together. I don't even know what to do with it, spinner is a fucking piece of junk and it's a question of how much time and effort I want to put into making it not suck.

I don't disagree with the cabinet being of a higher quality, it absolutely should be for $500. For $200 or less the Arcade 1Ups are worth it for what they are IMO. If the AtGames goes on sale at any point, I would consider picking one up, but I just can't justify spending $500 regardless of how much better it may be.

#858 defpally   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1967 Posts   Joined 9.7 Years Ago  

defpally

Posted 20 November 2019 - 06:16 PM

Yeah, my mention is actually a work around to that rotating joystick, as I'm aware of the issues with those as well. Years ago when I had my custom arcade stick built, those sticks were on my list of wants, but then between me and the builder, we came up with the plan "B". Tron works the same way as all those games, it just uses the flight stick to move, and the spinner to rotate, two rather common arcade parts.

Those original sticks combined the rotation and movement all in one, which is of course where problems came from(and limited releases). The only real issue is that the flight stick would need two separate action buttons, as one is for fire, and then a secondary one for grenades, etc. I believe Tron only had the one action button, and of course there is the learning curve of use, but I believe this set up is better than those original spinner sticks as you can move and rotate faster with this configuration.

Yeah, you would need some form of fire on the stick if you went with a spinner.  Frontline was mentioned, and that game got around it by allowing you to press the spinner to fire, but I doubt you can find one of those because that really didn't catch on.  And it also is only a single button (it had a separate grenade button which was fine because you used those so infrequently in that game).

The problem to solve is you have three functions, moving, turning and firing (grenades and gun).  You obviously don't have three hands, and the emulator solution of using two buttons for left and right rotate isn't ideal because it lack precision and the ability to quickly spin around (and in Victory Road make use of the sword very difficult to deflect projectiles).  A two button flightstick is an option with a spinner, but the best option is the original implementation - however both require specialized parts that are not readily available for arcade cabinet builds.  Parts manufacturers really don't make specialized parts like that anymore since the arcade market really isn't big enough anymore to justify it on a mass market type basis.  I also wonder how you would really get it to work with a USB pad converter like I-Pac - though I guess you could wire it to the spinner.

You could try to salvage it from old machines, but the problem there is those sticks were very prone to breaking and losing their "clickiness".

Then again, the Star Wars controller was really specialized as well, and Arcade1up made that happen (at a significant premium), so hope is not lost.  And Ikari machine would definitely not generate as much interest as a Star Wars one though.

#859 Corgstradamus   I have short legs CAGiversary!   4098 Posts   Joined 7.1 Years Ago  

Corgstradamus

Posted 20 November 2019 - 08:23 PM

Can someone hook me up with the Final Fight Walmart sku? I can't seem to find it and the one on their website doesn't work. 

Got it: 593950880

#860 TuscaloosaJohnny  

TuscaloosaJohnny

Posted 20 November 2019 - 08:54 PM

I literally got a Centipede cabinet for $75 on Tuesday by ordering online and doing a return-rebuy at the store. It’s worth a shot!

#861 MrshllJcb   Drinkin High Life CAGiversary!   4356 Posts   Joined 9.0 Years Ago  

Posted 20 November 2019 - 09:37 PM

Making the spinner not suck on the Asteroids cabinet costs like $50 (I think it was like $40 when I ordered in July) and takes about 5 minutes. If the spinner is your hesitation, then order a GRS spinner and be done with it. Light years better than what came on the CP and not difficult to install on a stock A1up at all

#862 KrAzY3   The 3 is silent. CAGiversary!   645 Posts   Joined 14.9 Years Ago  

Posted 21 November 2019 - 03:11 AM

Making the spinner not suck on the Asteroids cabinet costs like $50 (I think it was like $40 when I ordered in July) and takes about 5 minutes. If the spinner is your hesitation, then order a GRS spinner and be done with it. Light years better than what came on the CP and not difficult to install on a stock A1up at all

I think this is probably right at the heart of how I feel about the Arcade1Ups vs. the AtGames cab.

The spinner is something I considered, but the games on the cab are also fairly limited. When I initially picked up my Centipede and Asteroids cab I was entertaining the idea of modding each. One is vertical, one is horizontal, one has a trackball one has a spinner, so I was thinking I could potentially do something with that.

I decided to leave the Centipede one as is for the time being, but after I got my Street Fighter cab that pushed back the idea of modding the Asteroids cab even further.

A big issue though is that, well most of the Arcade1Up cabs are really limited in terms of what they offer. The Asteroids offerings are fairly lackluster, so even if I get a new spinner, I still have a pretty limited set of games. I believe there are actually a couple more games on there, but you have to do a physical mod to even gain access to those and that's the extent of what you can do. So, if I really want to get much use out of it it will be considerably more than the 40 or 50 bucks for the spinner, there's just no real way to add games short of fully modding it.

I am committed to modding the SF cab, but I understand that what I have in these cabs is going up. 225, now 250, once I'm done ordering things I'll be past $350 without touching the Asteroids cab, and I'm looking over at the AtGames cab like, man that does all the things I'd want my cabs to do, better than they will do it, without all the work...

#863 ArugulaZ   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   1775 Posts   Joined 15.1 Years Ago  

Posted 21 November 2019 - 03:56 AM

What starts out cheap can get very expensive. The whole point of an arcade cabinet at home is to relive the experience of playing these games in an arcade thirty years ago, right? If the construction and parts are cheap, that detracts from that experience. If you have to stoop to play the game or feel the cabinet wobble around when the action gets intense, it's no longer authentic. And if you have to spend money to MAKE it more authentic, it's no longer a cheap cabinet.

In fairness, I thought Arcade1up's TMNT cab was fine, from the brief time I spent with it. But yeah, I figure that unless you got one of these machines for a really cheap price, it's best to build an arcade cab once, and do it right so further maintenance is not necessary.

#864 soonerdoc   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   641 Posts   Joined 16.0 Years Ago  

Posted 21 November 2019 - 07:51 AM

If you wanna build from scratch I get it, but otherwise you are flat out wrong.

I own 2 arcade 1up cabs and bought the at games this week and the 1ups aren’t in the same ballpark.  The buttons and joysticks are higher quality. Really nice acrylic over the control deck. The games that are there work fine. Put 200 or so of my favorite Mame ROMs on there and vast majority work perfectly. You can add box art and bezel art that is sick. The byob and arcadenet are a joke and are not needed. If atgames stopped producing these tomorrow I’d be thrilled with the product as is.  it’s just a shade below my bar top I built a couple years ago. The only thing worse is the cabinet art. 

#865 Tyf   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   11 Posts   Joined 10.7 Years Ago  

Posted 21 November 2019 - 12:46 PM

What starts out cheap can get very expensive. The whole point of an arcade cabinet at home is to relive the experience of playing these games in an arcade thirty years ago, right? If the construction and parts are cheap, that detracts from that experience. If you have to stoop to play the game or feel the cabinet wobble around when the action gets intense, it's no longer authentic. And if you have to spend money to MAKE it more authentic, it's no longer a cheap cabinet.

In fairness, I thought Arcade1up's TMNT cab was fine, from the brief time I spent with it. But yeah, I figure that unless you got one of these machines for a really cheap price, it's best to build an arcade cab once, and do it right so further maintenance is not necessary.

I've considered getting the Arcade1up as display pieces to make my MAME cab appear its in an arcade, and I like the idea of having multiple cabs running at once and capturing the "sound" of an arcade.  I think I'd rather play the games on my MAME cab though since the parts and proportions are better.  

#866 kwick7   CAG Lurking Veteran CAGiversary!   385 Posts   Joined 14.7 Years Ago  

Posted 21 November 2019 - 01:39 PM

Nope. I’m definitely flat out correct. AtGames’ previously released systems are total garbage.

If you wanna build from scratch I get it, but otherwise you are flat out wrong.

I own 2 arcade 1up cabs and bought the at games this week and the 1ups aren’t in the same ballpark. The buttons and joysticks are higher quality. Really nice acrylic over the control deck. The games that are there work fine. Put 200 or so of my favorite Mame ROMs on there and vast majority work perfectly. You can’t add box art and bezel art that is sick. The byob and arcadenet are a joke and are not needed. If atgames stopped producing these tomorrow I’d be thrilled with the product as is. it’s just a shade below my bar top I built a couple years ago. The only thing worse is the cabinet art.

#867 KrAzY3   The 3 is silent. CAGiversary!   645 Posts   Joined 14.9 Years Ago  

Posted 21 November 2019 - 03:18 PM

AtGames’ previously released systems are total garbage.

That part is true, but it seems they made a really solid arcade cab. If it just looked as good as it was functional, it would be a home run. As it is, I think the Marvel Arcade1Up cab is just fantastic looking, and addresses some of the biggest issues with their cabs, but at the end of the day it still has extremely limited functionality.

#868 nightc1   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   2929 Posts   Joined 14.5 Years Ago  

Posted 21 November 2019 - 03:22 PM

Nope. I’m definitely flat out correct. AtGames’ previously released systems are total garbage.

I don't think anyone is saying their previous stuff was good.  I'm sure most people would agree it was junk.  This new cab is actually very good... which is surprising.

The fact that the built in games are able to be sorted by type, you can favorite the ones you want so you don't have to scroll through a big list, everything has the option to do a save from the menu system, you can use a simple tool and import arcade and console games with your own bezel and box art into the thing, there is the rewind feature which works with everything in the system (great if you want to beat a game without starting over many times), and that it has enough controls for the majority of arcade games ever released... well... that makes it pretty nice for someone that wants more but doesn't want to do quite as much work to make it happen.

Emulation reports so far say it's solid.

Also you can pair it as a controller with those $5 atgames devices and play them on the system which makes me wonder if you can BT pair it with a game console or other device like a PC to expand it's abilities since the thing has two HDMI inputs it could make playing that stuff on it somewhat seamless.  What I'm imagining is using one of the usb controller adapters on the switch, passing through the video on one of the two hdmi inputs, and then playing Smash.  It might work.  Even if it doesn't, you can pass through the video and just use controllers.

#869 KrAzY3   The 3 is silent. CAGiversary!   645 Posts   Joined 14.9 Years Ago  

Posted 21 November 2019 - 05:07 PM

I would add that it sounds like AtGames pulled.... well an AtGames recently. They distributed a program that would let you do your own local BYOG for free, which is great n' all but it also seemed to be causing major issues with some people's computers.

So... if I had an AtGames, as a precaution I'd probably keep the thing from updating most of the time and wait for extensive testing before I installed anything new. But, night is getting at are valid points. It just blows the Arcade1Up functionality out of the water.

#870 natboy   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   71 Posts   Joined 14.0 Years Ago  

Posted 21 November 2019 - 08:29 PM

I would add that it sounds like AtGames pulled.... well an AtGames recently. They distributed a program that would let you do your own local BYOG for free, which is great n' all but it also seemed to be causing major issues with some people's computers.

So... if I had an AtGames, as a precaution I'd probably keep the thing from updating most of the time and wait for extensive testing before I installed anything new. But, night is getting at are valid points. It just blows the Arcade1Up functionality out of the water.

To be fair, the problem with the program was during the uninstall of it, not the running or using of it.  There's also newer version of it out now that supposedly fixed the problem.  There was a problem, it was reported, and they fixed the problem.  They are being super responsive and have been pushing out newer and newer features.  From what I understand, it has only been out a month and seem to trying to make it the best that they can.

I think I'm going to get one because of all the neat features and the fact that they seem to be super focused on it.  I'm also thinking of getting one sooner than later because I've been burned on tech by Sony consoles.  Sony releases a device (PS3/PSVita) with neat features and then slowly removes them in the name of lowering the price.  I'm not saying atgames is going to do that at all, just my own thoughts on cool tech.