* * * * - 6 votes

The Home Arcade Tremendous Deals and Discussion Thread. Renamed by a beautiful Executive Order. Believe me.

#541 defpally   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   2143 Posts   Joined 10.5 Years Ago  

defpally

Posted 25 October 2019 - 02:18 PM

The reason Gunatlet is two player is because the first Gauntlet did not let you select your character on the 4 player cabinet.  Player 1 is always Barbarian, Player 2 Valkyrie, 3 Wizard and 4 Elf.  Only the two player cabinet version of the game allowed character selection (and not the same character, as they didn't have color variations).  If they put in the 4 player cabinet version, only Barbarian and Valkyrie would be playable.  Selectable characters (including same character and color variations) on 4 player was added in Gauntlet 2.

It's the same reason I put in both the 2 and 4 player versions of Simpsons, Turtles 1 & 2 in the cabinet I made.  It only has controls for two players, therefore it would limit your ability to play Don in Turtles, and everyone knows he is the best.  I do, however, have USB ports for using external controllers so 4 players is supported if the need arises, but most of the time I use the 2 player version to get character selection.

#542 kwick7   CAG Lurking Veteran CAGiversary!   583 Posts   Joined 15.5 Years Ago  

Posted 25 October 2019 - 04:15 PM

post the pics, or a link to where we can see this, sounds pretty awesome!

I’ll take some new pictures. It’s always hard to photograph these things. The lcd I put in the marquee in one cabinet is awesome, in my opinion.

It's the same reason I put in both the 2 and 4 player versions of Simpsons, Turtles 1 & 2 in the cabinet I made. It only has controls for two players, therefore it would limit your ability to play Don in Turtles, and everyone knows he is the best. I do, however, have USB ports for using external controllers so 4 players is supported if the need arises, but most of the time I use the 2 player version to get character selection.

I prefer the 2 player versions. Unless you’re actually going to play with 4 people at once, I feel like the 2 player versions are better.

#543 Clue   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   101 Posts   Joined 15.0 Years Ago  

Posted 25 October 2019 - 08:20 PM

Like Tom posted supposedly Glenmont has them & it looks like Crossgates Commons just marked theirs down to $75 as well. I was really considering getting one and was waiting for the ones at Crossgates to go down. But Im running out of room. I already have (7) of the Arcade1ups and a full size MAME machine.

Glenmont has them 75.00

Just wanted to say thank you to both of you. Really appreciate it. I should have mentioned in my previous that I stopped in at Latham and Glenmont last night as well as the E.Greenbush and struck out at both those places as well.

I saw your note about Crossgates (completely forgot that store existed), so I went there at lunch today. Got off the escalator and saw they only had one of the machines left in the rack from a distance so thought I struck out again. Pretty great feeling when I walked up and the one remaining was the Space Invader cab. It's in my car at the moment waiting to head home. 

Forgot which store it was last night that they had the TMNT one set up, was the first time I saw one of the 1ups in  person (yup, I don't get out to stores much). Have to say that it looks pretty good. Hope I don't get addicted to them. 

#544 Coyotezeye  

Coyotezeye

Posted 25 October 2019 - 08:44 PM

Just wanted to say thank you to both of you. Really appreciate it. I should have mentioned in my previous that I stopped in at Latham and Glenmont last night as well as the E.Greenbush and struck out at both those places as well.

I saw your note about Crossgates (completely forgot that store existed), so I went there at lunch today. Got off the escalator and saw they only had one of the machines left in the rack from a distance so thought I struck out again. Pretty great feeling when I walked up and the one remaining was the Space Invader cab. It's in my car at the moment waiting to head home. 

Forgot which store it was last night that they had the TMNT one set up, was the first time I saw one of the 1ups in  person (yup, I don't get out to stores much). Have to say that it looks pretty good. Hope I don't get addicted to them. 

After my first I was addicted lol. Took some willpower to hold off on getting the $75 Space Invaders but im running tight on space in my mancave.

#545 topchief1   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   500 Posts   Joined 12.3 Years Ago  

topchief1

Posted 26 October 2019 - 12:40 AM

I just picked up a SF2 cab for $74. Does anyone know if they started putting those plastic covers in those boxes for them, or if they only ever sent out that initial batch without them?

#546 Querjek   Thirty Seven CAGiversary!   2244 Posts   Joined 16.9 Years Ago  

Posted 26 October 2019 - 12:42 AM

I just picked up a SF2 cab for $74. Does anyone know if they started putting those plastic covers in those boxes for them, or if they only ever sent out that initial batch without them?

What plastic covers?

#547 topchief1   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   500 Posts   Joined 12.3 Years Ago  

topchief1

Posted 26 October 2019 - 12:51 AM

What plastic covers?

The original sf2 cabs had that issue where the artwork around the joystick and buttons was fading away from regular use, so they started sending the plastic covers that you screw down on top of them. My final fight cab came with one. I didn't know if they had started sending out new shipments of the street fighter one with them, or if you were SOL, and had to buy them separately

Edit : I'm sure I'm not articulating it correctly, hopefully that helps

#548 purbeast   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   747 Posts   Joined 12.2 Years Ago  

Posted 26 October 2019 - 12:56 AM

I think you are just talking about the plexiglass that goes over the control panel artwork on a regular arcade cabinet right?  I'm guessing it's just a cheap piece of plastic on these cabinets but serves the same purpose.

EDIT:

Like this:

http://cdn.shopify.c...pg?v=1553121663

#549 chrislaustin   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   7622 Posts   Joined 14.7 Years Ago  

chrislaustin

Posted 26 October 2019 - 01:01 AM

The original sf2 cabs had that issue where the artwork around the joystick and buttons was fading away from regular use, so they started sending the plastic covers that you screw down on top of them. My final fight cab came with one. I didn't know if they had started sending out new shipments of the street fighter one with them, or if you were SOL, and had to buy them separately

Edit : I'm sure I'm not articulating it correctly, hopefully that helps

As far as I know, if you don't get one just contact them and they'll send you one, as they realized pretty early on that art wears off pretty easy, so the plexiglass is a must for most. I've heard their customer service is pretty good, as anyone who has had an issue has had it solved without much back & forth.

#550 topchief1   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   500 Posts   Joined 12.3 Years Ago  

topchief1

Posted 26 October 2019 - 01:27 AM

As far as I know, if you don't get one just contact them and they'll send you one, as they realized pretty early on that art wears off pretty easy, so the plexiglass is a must for most. I've heard their customer service is pretty good, as anyone who has had an issue has had it solved without much back & forth.

Cool thanks. I ask because I'm planning on modding this one, and i want to buy the stuff for it before I set it up (plus, i got a speech last week when I dragged in the final fight one about how much space my hobby is starting to take up in the house,) so I don't think dragging another one in the house one week later would end well for me, so I'm staying out in the garage and I wanted to know what to expect when I opened it.

#551 kwick7   CAG Lurking Veteran CAGiversary!   583 Posts   Joined 15.5 Years Ago  

Posted 26 October 2019 - 01:52 AM

post the pics, or a link to where we can see this, sounds pretty awesome!

8A702D9B-9D38-463D-9F13-7187262F299C.jpeg

Edit: “Neo Geo” is 95% finished. Going to put a door on it like I did pacman and then put that pc inside. Haven’t decided if I want to keep the bezel as is or remove the artwork (I painted the back side of the Plexi Black) and then reprint that same artwork and put it where the red kick plate is. Still have to install the beer holders on the side. :)
They are both single player cabinets. Neo Geo has 2 sticks quite literally for one game: World Series 99. The right stick is the bat and you flick it to swing. Love that game! Pac-Man is vertical games only, about 70 or so. Neo Geo currently has probably a few hundred but I’m gonna go through them all again. Too many games.

My little corner of the basement. It’s about to drastically change. We are converting the garage to a home office. Then I’m gonna move the “arcade” to where my desk is now (behind where I’m taking that first picture from, behind the bar. I then get to take my cocktail cabinet out of my shed and finish it and have a real little barcade in my basement. :)

A4A2EFAA-D1B2-437A-9420-33705D9035F0.jpeg

#552 purbeast   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   747 Posts   Joined 12.2 Years Ago  

Posted 26 October 2019 - 02:14 AM

God damn I forget how small these Arcade1Up cabinets are until you see them in perspective of other stuff.

#553 kwick7   CAG Lurking Veteran CAGiversary!   583 Posts   Joined 15.5 Years Ago  

Posted 26 October 2019 - 02:21 AM

God damn I forget how small these Arcade1Up cabinets are until you see them in perspective of other stuff.

Perfect size for little kids though. And sitting on those short chairs works perfectly fine for me and I’m 6’.

#554 BrandonJF   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   693 Posts   Joined 12.1 Years Ago  

BrandonJF

Posted 26 October 2019 - 03:08 AM

Not me.  I bought the Pac-Man and Rampage cabs this year and they refused multiple times to send the plastic deck protector for free.  I found it a bit odd since they obviously acknowledged there was a problem, didn't recall the existing units, didn't send the plastic covers to stores, sent them out to customers for free for awhile....  They aren't that expensive to order from them, but the only option is to buy an artwork cover (since they must assume the pain has already rubbed off) along with the plastic.  I told them I just needed the plastic.  Didn't care - no more "free" deck protectors even though they now come "free" with every newer model.   It was really weird that they were so obstinate over something that costs so little.  

#555 doctorwolf   CAG Newbie CAGiversary!   233 Posts   Joined 7.5 Years Ago  

doctorwolf

Posted 26 October 2019 - 03:30 AM

Have any of you guys (especially the ones who are buying these full price just to mod them anyway) considered getting an Alpha-Cade? Seems like a much higher quality route to satisfy this project itch.

#556 kwick7   CAG Lurking Veteran CAGiversary!   583 Posts   Joined 15.5 Years Ago  

Posted 26 October 2019 - 03:50 AM

Have any of you guys (especially the ones who are buying these full price just to mod them anyway) considered getting an Alpha-Cade? Seems like a much higher quality route to satisfy this project itch.

My original plan was an alphacade or building entirely from scratch. $75 got me in the door to modding. I really don’t see the point in modding one of these when buying at or near full price.

#557 chrislaustin   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   7622 Posts   Joined 14.7 Years Ago  

chrislaustin

Posted 26 October 2019 - 11:20 AM

Not me.  I bought the Pac-Man and Rampage cabs this year and they refused multiple times to send the plastic deck protector for free.  I found it a bit odd since they obviously acknowledged there was a problem, didn't recall the existing units, didn't send the plastic covers to stores, sent them out to customers for free for awhile....  They aren't that expensive to order from them, but the only option is to buy an artwork cover (since they must assume the pain has already rubbed off) along with the plastic.  I told them I just needed the plastic.  Didn't care - no more "free" deck protectors even though they now come "free" with every newer model.   It was really weird that they were so obstinate over something that costs so little.  

Well, that's good to know, as my comment was based on those early reports, of how you just needed to contact them, and they would take care of the rest. I guess like all good things, they come to an end, but this seems kind of nickel & dime, especially to those supporting these products. It's beyond apparent this was a design flaw out of the gate, that they eventually acknowledged and made right, but the issue doesn't end, just because they no longer want to cover their own mistakes.

Now that I guess these are a household name, I guess taking care of a customer is no longer all that important. So my apologies for possibly reporting wrong info on how good their customer service is, as I guess that faded just like the art around the joysticks.

#558 purbeast   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   747 Posts   Joined 12.2 Years Ago  

Posted 26 October 2019 - 01:07 PM

Perfect size for little kids though. And sitting on those short chairs works perfectly fine for me and I’m 6’.

Yeah if I can find an SF2 one for $150 or less I'm going to get one for my son who is 4 and make a MAME cabinet and put it right next to my real cabinet.  The size is great for him.  I wouldn't even be able to play 2 player with my friends on those cabinets because we couldn't fit.

#559 Chamillinator   I'm a CAG Veteran ya'll know who I'm better than CAGiversary!   262 Posts   Joined 12.5 Years Ago  

Chamillinator

Posted 26 October 2019 - 02:55 PM

So there's a store that has them at $74 but is out of stock. If I have it shipped there would that work to get it to $74? If so what would I do/say?

#560 DarkonJohn   Growing backlog CAGiversary!   982 Posts   Joined 12.8 Years Ago  

DarkonJohn

Posted 26 October 2019 - 03:11 PM

So there's a store that has them at $74 but is out of stock. If I have it shipped there would that work to get it to $74? If so what would I do/say?

When you pick it up, you can ask them to check the current in-store price to confirm the lower price. If it is lower, as if they can do a price adjustment. While they will probably say they can’t, they might be able to let you return the items and then rebuy them at the lower price, but it will probably take a supervisor to approve since it isn’t normal procedure.

Or they may just say they can’t do that (for whatever reason) and then your choice is to pay the online price, not pick them up, or return them after picking them up. If you return or don’t pick them up, they MAY end up on the shelf at the discounted price, but that might take a few days (if it happens at all).

Just be nice and understanding that it is their choice to give you the lower price or not, and if they say they won’t, it is your choice to buy it or not at the web price.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#561 FloriDUH JBot   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   943 Posts   Joined 8.6 Years Ago  

FloriDUH JBot

Posted 26 October 2019 - 05:19 PM

attachicon.gif8A702D9B-9D38-463D-9F13-7187262F299C.jpeg

Edit: “Neo Geo” is 95% finished. Going to put a door on it like I did pacman and then put that pc inside. Haven’t decided if I want to keep the bezel as is or remove the artwork (I painted the back side of the Plexi Black) and then reprint that same artwork and put it where the red kick plate is. Still have to install the beer holders on the side. :)
They are both single player cabinets. Neo Geo has 2 sticks quite literally for one game: World Series 99. The right stick is the bat and you flick it to swing. Love that game! Pac-Man is vertical games only, about 70 or so. Neo Geo currently has probably a few hundred but I’m gonna go through them all again. Too many games.

My little corner of the basement. It’s about to drastically change. We are converting the garage to a home office. Then I’m gonna move the “arcade” to where my desk is now (behind where I’m taking that first picture from, behind the bar. I then get to take my cocktail cabinet out of my shed and finish it and have a real little barcade in my basement. :)

attachicon.gifA4A2EFAA-D1B2-437A-9420-33705D9035F0.jpeg

Did you mod Pac Man with the 60 in 1 JAMMA kit?

Sent from my SM-P580 using Tapatalk

#562 kwick7   CAG Lurking Veteran CAGiversary!   583 Posts   Joined 15.5 Years Ago  

Posted 26 October 2019 - 06:23 PM

Did you mod Pac Man with the 60 in 1 JAMMA kit?

Sent from my SM-P580 using Tapatalk

Nope. Raspberry pi.

#563 purbeast   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   747 Posts   Joined 12.2 Years Ago  

Posted 26 October 2019 - 09:40 PM

On a somewhat related note, I got my cabinet in it's home spot with KI1 in there until my pi2jamma comes. 

GnaQvRm.jpg

Now my goal is to find an SF2 Arcade1Up so I can convert that into some kind of MAME cabinet too and it would be the perfect size for my son.  So far there aren't any around me that are less than $299.

#564 doctorwolf   CAG Newbie CAGiversary!   233 Posts   Joined 7.5 Years Ago  

doctorwolf

Posted 27 October 2019 - 02:47 AM

"Still have to install the beer holders on the side."

Absolutely fricken brilliant idea. One of those problems that you don't even realize was a problem until you hear a genius solution like this. Now I won't be able to stop thinking about it.

#565 kwick7   CAG Lurking Veteran CAGiversary!   583 Posts   Joined 15.5 Years Ago  

Posted 27 October 2019 - 03:04 AM

https://www.amazon.c...i_9KqTDbCG3CRCG

Absolutely fricken brilliant idea. One of those problems that you don't even realize was a problem until you hear a genius solution like this. Now I won't be able to stop thinking about it.

#566 dnl2ba   Inadvertent collector CAGiversary!   502 Posts   Joined 6.3 Years Ago  

Posted 27 October 2019 - 03:43 AM

On a somewhat related note, I got my cabinet in it's home spot with KI1 in there until my pi2jamma comes.

Now my goal is to find an SF2 Arcade1Up so I can convert that into some kind of MAME cabinet too and it would be the perfect size for my son. So far there aren't any around me that are less than $299.

Looks like $245 at Walmart with free delivery. Edit: You’re looking for local pickup?

https://www.walmart....P-4ft/994342377

#567 doctorwolf   CAG Newbie CAGiversary!   233 Posts   Joined 7.5 Years Ago  

doctorwolf

Posted 27 October 2019 - 06:28 AM

https://www.amazon.c...i_9KqTDbCG3CRCG

Epic. This is the endpoint I had in mind, except I was planning on getting there with modded fishing pole mount spliced with car cup holder... which this thing basically is minus looking as stupid as what I would have ended up with.

When I first told this idea to my wife, she immediately envisioned mounted table tray that could fold up when you're done. Which I immediately bagged on, but in retrospect... could be cool if done right.

Anyways though, there's no way I'm drilling holes into my mint KI2 cab, so I've got to find a beater cab to start this project on and on top of that, I want a new house that has a better set up for an arcade room than what I have now, so yeah... this $6 drinking attachment is probably going to end up costing me a bit more than that.

#568 Dr. Venkman   Disposable Assassin CAGiversary!   776 Posts   Joined 10.8 Years Ago  

Dr. Venkman

Posted 27 October 2019 - 04:36 PM

http://www.twistedqu...6l6s0v86ednfc17

The plexiglass protectors were only free for a limited time for the wave 1 machines. All newer waves come with them now. Here's a link to order them (on sale at the moment)

https://arcade1up.co...-panel-overlays

#569 Dr. Venkman   Disposable Assassin CAGiversary!   776 Posts   Joined 10.8 Years Ago  

Dr. Venkman

Posted 27 October 2019 - 04:37 PM

It's the same reason I put in both the 2 and 4 player versions of Simpsons, Turtles 1 & 2 in the cabinet I made.  It only has controls for two players, therefore it would limit your ability to play Don in Turtles, and everyone knows he is the best.  I do, however, have USB ports for using external controllers so 4 players is supported if the need arises, but most of the time I use the 2 player version to get character selection.

The Oceanic ROMS (If memory serves) for TMNT and Simpsons that are 2 player allow you to manually select which character you can use for each player.

#570 purbeast   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   747 Posts   Joined 12.2 Years Ago  

Posted 27 October 2019 - 04:49 PM

Are the Brickseek prices always accurate?  Like is there a possibility of when you go to a store that shows these in stock, that the price may be lower than what they say on brickseek?  And I guess the opposite - is there a chance you go to the store and the price is higher?