* * * * - 6 votes

The Home Arcade Tremendous Deals and Discussion Thread. Renamed by a beautiful Executive Order. Believe me.

#1471 ashram   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1297 Posts   Joined 16.8 Years Ago  

Posted 11 January 2020 - 10:30 PM

I may just pick up a set of those tables. Looks like a great alternative

If you have an Ikea nearby, check their Lack table...
https://www.ikea.com...black-20011408/
I mean, it's $10. Don't have them under my arcade1ups, but do have a pair for 2 of my 3d printers and they work great

#1472 girlracer99lude  

girlracer99lude

Posted 11 January 2020 - 11:27 PM

I ordered 4 of the other tables from Amazon yesterday because I have 4 other arcades next to my TMNT and SF which are on A1UP risers so I want them to be similar height.

But I also have the $15 tables from Walmart, cause the closest ikea is over 100 miles away so with shipping it equals out. I have my Marvel and my MK on them.

https://www.walmart....-Black/47827019

2.jpg

#1473 darkdaze73   Serious Fisherman CAGiversary!   528 Posts   Joined 12.3 Years Ago  

Posted 12 January 2020 - 01:45 AM

Yeah closest IKEA for me is 2 hours away. So I just ordered a set of the "Like New" ones for $18.37 and through something else in for free shipping. Still leaves me 1 machine short as I own 4 but the 12-in-1 came with a riser. I'll see how I like these and if I really do like them I'll order another set.

#1474 TrumpCat   knows more about being a cat than anyone, believe me CAGiversary!   4832 Posts   Joined 6.6 Years Ago  

Posted 12 January 2020 - 01:51 AM

As the most stable of stable geniuses, I can't imagine those tables are the most stable of stable tables.

#1475 doctorwolf   CAG Newbie CAGiversary!   216 Posts   Joined 7.4 Years Ago  

doctorwolf

Posted 12 January 2020 - 02:06 AM

As the most stable of stable geniuses, I can't imagine those tables are the most stable of stable tables.

The regular riser itself isn't that stable as it's not exactly a perfectly snug fit. Play MK against a button mashing spaz and you'll see just how unstable it is.

With those tables, someone should try mounting 4 square rectangular blocks/pegs that stick up into the inside corners of the unit so it "locks" into place. That would probably be more stable than the official riser.

#1476 TrumpCat   knows more about being a cat than anyone, believe me CAGiversary!   4832 Posts   Joined 6.6 Years Ago  

Posted 12 January 2020 - 02:28 AM

The regular riser itself isn't that stable as it's not exactly a perfectly snug fit. Play MK against a button mashing spaz and you'll see just how unstable it is.

With those tables, someone should try mounting 4 square rectangular blocks/pegs that stick up into the inside corners of the unit so it "locks" into place. That would probably be more stable than the official riser.

When you screw the cab into the riser it seems pretty stable. Since mine are on a carpeted wood floor I've thought about screwing the risers into the floor with brackets but haven't felt the need yet. But those tables, especially the ones small enough to fit inside the bottom of the cab, look like they'd fall over with a slight shove or pull. 

#1477 FloriDUH JBot   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   940 Posts   Joined 8.4 Years Ago  

FloriDUH JBot

Posted 12 January 2020 - 08:49 PM

While we're on a mods kick...
Pandora 6 or Wolfanoz Arcade image on a Pi?

Just looking to run arcade roms. Is the setup process on a Raspberry Pi gonna drive me crazy, or does the wolfanoz image do most of the hard work for you? I was skilled enough to figure out the process of hacking my S/NES Classic after only a moderate amount of frustration.

Pandora 6 if you want something a little more plug n play. Pi if you have the stomach to tinker. Plenty of games for a lifetime either way.

Sent from my SM-P580 using Tapatalk

#1478 kwick7   CAG Lurking Veteran CAGiversary!   490 Posts   Joined 15.3 Years Ago  

Posted 12 January 2020 - 09:00 PM

Pandora 6 if you want something a little more plug n play. Pi if you have the stomach to tinker. Plenty of games for a lifetime either way.

Sent from my SM-P580 using Tapatalk

Definitely pi if you want that interface experience- but even if you download an image, you’ll need to tinker at some point.

Some of those images are extremely well done tho and boot right to control setup the first time.

#1479 doctorwolf   CAG Newbie CAGiversary!   216 Posts   Joined 7.4 Years Ago  

doctorwolf

Posted 12 January 2020 - 11:22 PM

Definitely pi if you want that interface experience- but even if you download an image, you’ll need to tinker at some point.

Some of those images are extremely well done tho and boot right to control setup the first time.

I've been messing around with that Wolfanoz image the last couple days and have mixed feelings on it. A lot of the games don't work at all or run far less than full speed (I'm on 3B+ FYI). Attract mode would be great if it wasn't so laggy and was easier to customize to your liking. I can't even figure out how to change the favorites or hide collections in Attract Mode (extremely easy to do in Emulationstation). The presentation is pretty damn slick though - if only it felt a little less hacky.

#1480 gepet0   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1368 Posts   Joined 14.8 Years Ago  

Posted 12 January 2020 - 11:50 PM

I've been messing around with that Wolfanoz image the last couple days and have mixed feelings on it. A lot of the games don't work at all or run far less than full speed (I'm on 3B+ FYI). Attract mode would be great if it wasn't so laggy and was easier to customize to your liking. I can't even figure out how to change the favorites or hide collections in Attract Mode (extremely easy to do in Emulationstation). The presentation is pretty damn slick though - if only it felt a little less hacky.

Which Wolfanoz image?  64 arcade only?  I know the 128 was stuffed to the max with consoles leaving very little room left on the card.  

in the UI setting the theme I use is showcase and I perfer the arcade only editions.

I am on the 3b and which games are you having trouble with? let me cross check them on mine.  

There are 1000's of games on on the images  and IMO a lot more work than do not  

If you play a game and want it to move it to favorites hit the y button  

if the game is in favorites and you want to remove it hit the y button

Keep plugging away.  

Mame has been around for decades and usually games that require special controllers or complex modern ones were hard  to get running correctly but they have done a great job getting the regular style games running.  With a retail package stuff is cut and dry because it has been ran through ready for retail.

When this stuff first started it was complicate because the internet was in it's infancy. The forums were there but you had to really hunt for them.   trying to get punch-out to work was brutal.

Theses pi images really take the heavy lifting off the end users that choose to go that route.  

#1481 kwick7   CAG Lurking Veteran CAGiversary!   490 Posts   Joined 15.3 Years Ago  

Posted 13 January 2020 - 01:03 AM

A lot of the images are crap- or all presentation and no good gameplay. Many of them often clearly state too, something like: “every game tested to launch but not tested to play.”

I downloaded the 8gb vertical only image. I then deleted a lot of the games and then added a few of my own. I’m very happy with the outcome. I’m also more than capable of making my own from scratch but don’t have the time (my other, pc based launchbox cabinet and a bar top I made years ago are 100% my own). I also strongly think a lot of games is too many- my vertical only cab sits at about 70 games and my other one has a few hundred (and still too many).

#1482 defpally   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   2091 Posts   Joined 10.4 Years Ago  

defpally

Posted 13 January 2020 - 01:25 AM

Theses pi images really take the heavy lifting off the end users that choose to go that route.  

Yeah, and that's why it was always ridiculous when people came onto threads for mini consoles and smugly claimed how people should just get a Raspberry Pi.  Getting it set up right is not easy and takes a ton of looking around on forums.

That said, I'm not personally a fan of the prebuilt images for my purposes.  To start with, that Wolfanoz image contains a bunch of games the don't work right or have sound issues.  Even worse is it contains a TON of crap games.  Sure it has 2,000+ games but 75% of them are complete garbage.  Just think about scrolling through 10 games for every good one, that's what it seems like at times.  The categories are better, but still not perfect.  And depending on your controller, it might not work right so you will still have to mess with that.

It took a lot of time, but I prefer regular Emulation Station with a decent theme for a more responsive interface and less buggy behavior.  then add the games you like, and confirm they work.  Some work better in FBA or Mame (or even different version of Mame) - there is a lot of testing.  Then create categories (I just use All because I've narrowed the list down to just the stuff I want, which to be honest is still over 300 - but better than 2000), retrieve artwork and video (if you want it).  Lastly, get your splash screens and turn off the config button when loading a ROM (saves people that like to press buttons while things load).  One caveat here though, TheGamesDB (a primary scraping source for game info) is currently running in a diminished capacity, and was completely down for a while due to losing their server access - so you might have to deal with that.

#1483 bubster93   WOT! CAGiversary!   198 Posts   Joined 3.2 Years Ago  

bubster93

Posted 13 January 2020 - 02:19 AM

I ordered 4 of the other tables from Amazon yesterday because I have 4 other arcades next to my TMNT and SF which are on A1UP risers so I want them to be similar height.

But I also have the $15 tables from Walmart, cause the closest ikea is over 100 miles away so with shipping it equals out. I have my Marvel and my MK on them.

https://www.walmart....-Black/47827019

attachicon.gif2.jpg

Very nice setup! The bricks really makes it feel like a classic arcade!

#1484 gepet0   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1368 Posts   Joined 14.8 Years Ago  

Posted 13 January 2020 - 02:35 AM

Yeah, and that's why it was always ridiculous when people came onto threads for mini consoles and smugly claimed how people should just get a Raspberry Pi.  Getting it set up right is not easy and takes a ton of looking around on forums.

That said, I'm not personally a fan of the prebuilt images for my purposes.  To start with, that Wolfanoz image contains a bunch of games the don't work right or have sound issues.  Even worse is it contains a TON of crap games.  Sure it has 2,000+ games but 75% of them are complete garbage.  Just think about scrolling through 10 games for every good one, that's what it seems like at times.  The categories are better, but still not perfect.  And depending on your controller, it might not work right so you will still have to mess with that.

It took a lot of time, but I prefer regular Emulation Station with a decent theme for a more responsive interface and less buggy behavior.  then add the games you like, and confirm they work.  Some work better in FBA or Mame (or even different version of Mame) - there is a lot of testing.  Then create categories (I just use All because I've narrowed the list down to just the stuff I want, which to be honest is still over 300 - but better than 2000), retrieve artwork and video (if you want it).  Lastly, get your splash screens and turn off the config button when loading a ROM (saves people that like to press buttons while things load).  One caveat here though, TheGamesDB (a primary scraping source for game info) is currently running in a diminished capacity, and was completely down for a while due to losing their server access - so you might have to deal with that.

When Mame first started If I recall the original goal was to find a way to preserve the arcade experience. They took that seriously.  Every rom from A to Z.  If I com across a bad one I try to find it and replace it.  Like the xmen children of the atom they all seem to use the same rom where there is no sound during the intro the game play is fine just the intro sound but the Spanish XCOTA rom the sound is in the intro.

The first Mame that was shown to me in the 90's had a couple of hundred games. LOL   Triming the fat and tweaking it to ones liking may be the way to go for the newer generation so they don't have to slog through what once was good games.  A lot of  Older arcade \ console games for that matter have not aged well and you have to be die hard fans to play and enjoy them.  I can't stomach too many 2600 games but I have friends that can play them all night. LOL   I am glad mame is around and I do appreciate the efforts people attempt especially for free.  

#1485 doctorwolf   CAG Newbie CAGiversary!   216 Posts   Joined 7.4 Years Ago  

doctorwolf

Posted 13 January 2020 - 02:44 AM

Yeah, and that's why it was always ridiculous when people came onto threads for mini consoles and smugly claimed how people should just get a Raspberry Pi. Getting it set up right is not easy and takes a ton of looking around on forums.

That said, I'm not personally a fan of the prebuilt images for my purposes. To start with, that Wolfanoz image contains a bunch of games the don't work right or have sound issues. Even worse is it contains a TON of crap games. Sure it has 2,000+ games but 75% of them are complete garbage. Just think about scrolling through 10 games for every good one, that's what it seems like at times. The categories are better, but still not perfect. And depending on your controller, it might not work right so you will still have to mess with that.

It took a lot of time, but I prefer regular Emulation Station with a decent theme for a more responsive interface and less buggy behavior. then add the games you like, and confirm they work. Some work better in FBA or Mame (or even different version of Mame) - there is a lot of testing. Then create categories (I just use All because I've narrowed the list down to just the stuff I want, which to be honest is still over 300 - but better than 2000), retrieve artwork and video (if you want it). Lastly, get your splash screens and turn off the config button when loading a ROM (saves people that like to press buttons while things load). One caveat here though, TheGamesDB (a primary scraping source for game info) is currently running in a diminished capacity, and was completely down for a while due to losing their server access - so you might have to deal with that.

I was using the 32gb arcade only Wolfanoz. I have my own I spent the better part of a year setting up, but had consoles and about 250 arcade games. I could never figure out the bezels and when I updated retropie some games also broke, so wanted to take a shot with a premade arcade image.

I'm basically using that 2,000+ game list as a cataglogue and adding everything I want to favorites. Then I'll go through and make sure the games work and the bezels are correct. Some start off with that horrible MAME bezel but the right one for the game is actually in the folder (ex: SSF2T) so fixing those results in a lot of fiddle time. It is a bummer though not being able to use the crt-pi shader with the bezels, as it results in slowdown for most games. I'd like to try this on the RPI4 and see how it looks (note that I'm also using this on a widescreen monitor I'm using for a pedestal arcade station I'm throwing together - once I decide to mod a A1U, I'll ditch the bezels all together and gi back to crt-pi shader, if anything).

#1486 KemperJones   MSRP is for suckers. CAGiversary!   1228 Posts   Joined 14.5 Years Ago  

KemperJones

Posted 13 January 2020 - 03:05 PM

I was at a nearby store last week that had 8 TMNT machines for $349.  Looked on consolekits this morning and they're showing out of stock for $200 at the same place.  I took my chances this morning to see if the stock was wrong, but they were all gone.  I might just have to get one at another store for $300, because it seems like they'll be gone instantly if they go lower.

#1487 dxironman   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   108 Posts   Joined 13.3 Years Ago  

dxironman

Posted 13 January 2020 - 04:50 PM

I’m seeing the Ultimate Legends Arcade isn’t out of stock anymore on Sams website but won’t let me add to cart. Do you have to have a membership and log in to purchase?

#1488 Big Boss Mario   Wii You CAGiversary!   483 Posts   Joined 16.0 Years Ago  

Big Boss Mario

Posted 14 January 2020 - 03:20 AM

Picked up a $139 Pacman with riser from Marshalls. Thanks for the Marshalls tip!

#1489 Saphoon   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   2003 Posts   Joined 16.6 Years Ago  

Posted 14 January 2020 - 03:45 AM

I’m seeing the Ultimate Legends Arcade isn’t out of stock anymore on Sams website but won’t let me add to cart. Do you have to have a membership and log in to purchase?

If you need to have a membership to get into their physical store, I wouldn't be surprised if the website were that way too.

#1490 KemperJones   MSRP is for suckers. CAGiversary!   1228 Posts   Joined 14.5 Years Ago  

KemperJones

Posted 14 January 2020 - 04:15 AM

I was at a nearby store last week that had 8 TMNT machines for $349. Looked on consolekits this morning and they're showing out of stock for $200 at the same place. I took my chances this morning to see if the stock was wrong, but they were all gone. I might just have to get one at another store for $300, because it seems like they'll be gone instantly if they go lower.

For anyone in the southwest suburbs of Chicago that might be interested in TMNT. I went to Orland Hills (Park) Walmart today and was prepared to pay $300 (what it shows online and on all the inventory checkers) and was delightfully surprised to find this.

IMG_20200113_184848.jpg

I had to go back with a bigger vehicle. My friend / boss and I each picked up one for home and a third for the office.

#1491 spug21   professor cheap cheap CAGiversary!   284 Posts   Joined 13.5 Years Ago  

Posted 14 January 2020 - 12:21 PM

Picked up a $139 Pacman with riser from Marshalls. Thanks for the Marshalls tip!

I was legit shocked to see golden tee at that price.
I know the newer version is coming but I couldn't resist lol

#1492 kwick7   CAG Lurking Veteran CAGiversary!   490 Posts   Joined 15.3 Years Ago  

Posted 14 January 2020 - 12:24 PM

Man, I NEED golden tee at that price.

#1493 GameRTR  

Posted 14 January 2020 - 11:15 PM

I found a Pac Man today at a discount store for $100. I opened it to make sure everything was there and nothing had been touched. I always told myself if I found one at that price that I would get it. I'm putting it together now. Made me happy!

#1494 kwick7   CAG Lurking Veteran CAGiversary!   490 Posts   Joined 15.3 Years Ago  

Posted 15 January 2020 - 12:24 AM

I found a Pac Man today at a discount store for $100. I opened it to make sure everything was there and nothing had been touched. I always told myself if I found one at that price that I would get it. I'm putting it together now. Made me happy!

You did the right thing.

#1495 GameRTR  

Posted 15 January 2020 - 01:20 AM

You did the right thing.

I haven't kept up with everything related to these machines but apparently I have the newer model. The video I watched to assemble it was different than mine but the back says it was made 8/2019. I found why it was on clearance is because it has a small crack at the top where the pacman boarder goes but a sharpie will cover it up just fine. I've been playing it for a few minutes and its pretty solid. I may get one of the risers just to make it a little taller and because I like the ones with the logos and all too.

#1496 Super Sonic   CAG in Training CAGiversary!   743 Posts   Joined 7.7 Years Ago  

Super Sonic

Posted 16 January 2020 - 01:02 AM

I walked by the ninja turtle display unit at Walmart yesterday while Splinter's bio was being displayed.  Not gonna lie, being 35, when I saw it said Splinter was only 30 years old I felt REALLY old.

#1497 brauce  

Posted 16 January 2020 - 04:46 AM

maaan, the Marshalls by my work hasn't knocked it down from $299 yet, kinda saddened by this.

#1498 kwick7   CAG Lurking Veteran CAGiversary!   490 Posts   Joined 15.3 Years Ago  

Posted 16 January 2020 - 12:56 PM

maaan, the Marshalls by my work hasn't knocked it down from $299 yet, kinda saddened by this.

In NJ. I’ve only just recently even seen a golden tee in a store. Walmart. Still full price. No Marshall’s or anyone else near me has them. I’d instantly buy at 200 or less.

#1499 SunbirdTurbo   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   138 Posts   Joined 11.2 Years Ago  

SunbirdTurbo

Posted 16 January 2020 - 05:14 PM

In NJ. I’ve only just recently even seen a golden tee in a store. Walmart. Still full price. No Marshall’s or anyone else near me has them. I’d instantly buy at 200 or less.

Found Galaga w custom riser for $139 at TJ Max recently

#1500 elvis731   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   486 Posts   Joined 16.6 Years Ago  

Posted 16 January 2020 - 05:14 PM

Stopped at a Marshall's the other night just for the heck of it and no Golden Tee or any other Arcade 1 Up machines.