* * * * - 6 votes

The Home Arcade Tremendous Deals and Discussion Thread. Renamed by a beautiful Executive Order. Believe me.

#2101 pbfluff   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   772 Posts   Joined 11.8 Years Ago  

Posted 16 May 2020 - 12:46 AM

Legends Ultimate is $600 with a monthly subscription to play games, or the choice to buy the games to download locally, as well as a few hours to play any unsupported game each month.

A1Up is $50 on clearance, then you buy a Pi 4 kit on Amazon for $80. Nobody is spending $415 for the Star Wars cabinet and then modding it from there. You still have two working units that can be played separately, with the Pi 4 being a really great mini-console if you decide you don't like the arcade setup.

You're right, it's for people who wanted one but don't want to invest $600, or buy a subscription, or buy individual roms, or allocate more area for a full-sized cabinet. I don't have friends who'd see any man-cave arcade as anything more than a novelty they might play for a few minutes before going back to X1/PS4/N64.

I spent $450 shipped from Sams (and $20 on a low profile 128gb usb3 drive). The machine is full size height with a slim depth profile that sits nicely in my home office while having a fairly significant collection of games to play sourced from a google drove on reddit.

The control panel is decent, lighted marquee, 24” monitor, and the artwork is tolerable. There is no comparison between this and A1up modded into a multicade...the A1up is a poor value proposition for a mame cabinet imo

#2102 KrAzY3   The 3 is silent. CAGiversary!   673 Posts   Joined 15.3 Years Ago  

Posted 16 May 2020 - 01:04 AM

The Legends Ultimate made me rethink Arcade1Up purchases and probably kept me from making one or two (I passed on a $75 Space Invaders and Galaga).

I probably wouldn't have bothered with my Asteroids cab even at $75, but it's pretty hard to get upset about my $75 Centipede (I like the art) and Street Fighter (though if I never mod it, it's a piece of crap).

Here's the thing. I can still mod my Street Fighter cab way cheaper than Legends Ultimate. It won't be as nice though. The main difference is if you are budget conscious you can do a pretty cheap mod on a pretty cheap cab. I see Arcade1Up modding as a tier below Legends Ultimate, and of course there are still higher budget and nicer options than either. If I paid full price for Street Fighter with the intent to mod it, I'd feel pretty bad right now.

#2103 Blade   Imminently Punchable CAGiversary!   14813 Posts   Joined 15.0 Years Ago  

Posted 16 May 2020 - 03:34 AM

I spent $450 shipped from Sams (and $20 on a low profile 128gb usb3 drive). The machine is full size height with a slim depth profile that sits nicely in my home office while having a fairly significant collection of games to play sourced from a google drove on reddit.

The control panel is decent, lighted marquee, 24” monitor, and the artwork is tolerable. There is no comparison between this and A1up modded into a multicade...the A1up is a poor value proposition for a mame cabinet imo

Yes, that's definitely 100% your opinion. I wouldn't even think of putting an arcade cabinet in my office, and yet you did. Sounds like it's not as objective as you telling others what's acceptable or what they can accommodate, champ.

#2104 soonerdoc   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   675 Posts   Joined 16.5 Years Ago  

Posted 16 May 2020 - 05:44 AM

Legends Ultimate is $600 with a monthly subscription to play games, or the choice to buy the games to download locally, as well as a few hours to play any unsupported game each month.

A1Up is $50 on clearance, then you buy a Pi 4 kit on Amazon for $80. Nobody is spending $415 for the Star Wars cabinet and then modding it from there. You still have two working units that can be played separately, with the Pi 4 being a really great mini-console if you decide you don't like the arcade setup.

You're right, it's for people who wanted one but don't want to invest $600, or buy a subscription, or buy individual roms, or allocate more area for a full-sized cabinet. I don't have friends who'd see any man-cave arcade as anything more than a novelty they might play for a few minutes before going back to X1/PS4/N64.

You should stop posting misinformation. 

The AtGames is 549 at Walmart and 499 at sams. Lots of people (including me) got them at 449. 

There is supposed to be a monthly subscription someday (had my unit since November and they are still not charging) but it is COMPLETELY optional. Honestly I hope they aren’t planning on making money via that model because I doubt if 1% of owners will use it given all the free ways to add games. The included games are free. Add your own ROMS is free. Connecting to a Pi or PC....you guessed it...free. 

I also have 2 A1ups which literally haven’t been played since I got the atgames cab. 

Don’t care if you like the machine or not. Lots of things to bash it about. Lots of quality control issues recently although mine has been problem free. Just don’t make up crap about the price and the options to expand the games library. 

#2105 doctorwolf   CAG Newbie CAGiversary!   177 Posts   Joined 7.1 Years Ago  

doctorwolf

Posted 16 May 2020 - 05:57 AM

I wouldn't even think of putting an arcade cabinet in my office, and yet you did.

I know right? What an absolute barbarian. The purpose of an office is to conduct business and business alone. To even think this heathen would consider infringing upon proper workplace etiquette with childish video game antics is appalling. Queen Elizabeth must be alerted at once.

#2106 SgtWiggles   Artist formally known as dgwillia CAGiversary!   11421 Posts   Joined 11.1 Years Ago  

Posted 16 May 2020 - 08:20 PM

To anyone interested, looks like Best Buy has most/all of the A1Up stools instock at MSRP (79.99). Hadn't seen the Marvel ones instock at any point so I grabbed two.

#2107 Dr. Venkman   Body Piercer CAGiversary!   773 Posts   Joined 10.5 Years Ago  

Dr. Venkman

Posted 16 May 2020 - 08:40 PM

Can't we all just love video games and allow one another to blow wads of cash on shit that makes us happy?

I love all the game room pics, keep them coming. 

#2108 slamoco   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   138 Posts   Joined 15.8 Years Ago  

Posted 16 May 2020 - 10:51 PM

I would love that too....but it has turned into "let me show you how big my cabinet is and how much you suck" thread, lol.

#2109 girlracer99lude  

girlracer99lude

Posted 17 May 2020 - 01:40 PM

My oldest nephew came last weekend and grabbed my tekken 2 and pigskin footbrawl for his garage to give me some more room. My great nephew is the one that mainly comes over to play games.

jordan1.jpg

jordan2.jpg

jordan3.jpg

#2110 MrshllJcb   Drinkin High Life CAGiversary!   4370 Posts   Joined 9.5 Years Ago  

Posted 17 May 2020 - 02:00 PM

That is a lot of arcades!!! Awesome and probably incredibly expensive setup!

I am actually one of the weirdos with one of these in his “office” although I’m a tradesman, so there’s not any actually office work taking place in here.

I also finally got my spinner working properly with my Pi image and after doing some troubleshooting with the person who built my CP it sounds like my trackball is just defective. Replacement should be here to test today. My daughter is thrilled to be playing Tempest again

If I ever have a second CP built I will probably put the trackball and spinner in the middle and move the joysticks and buttons to the outside.
118D1B46-EFAC-4C6E-B03B-4D3B01B5F3E3.jpeg
177A04A7-B884-48B7-9864-69EF7506B507.jpeg

#2111 girlracer99lude  

girlracer99lude

Posted 17 May 2020 - 02:19 PM

That is a lot of arcades!!! Awesome and probably incredibly expensive setup!

I am actually one of the weirdos with one of these in his “office” although I’m a tradesman, so there’s not any actually office work taking place in here.

great setup. i will say i got a lot of them through walmart clearance, i paid retail for 2 of them.

#2112 HyperG   GamersVlog.com CAGiversary!   2921 Posts   Joined 7.8 Years Ago  

Posted 17 May 2020 - 07:56 PM

I managed to get a TMNT arcade at Walmart for $150 . I checked a few days later, and the price went back to MSRP. The store I got it from now says out of stock (it had two left). I'm going to put it together tonight, we'll see how it goes.

#2113 Monterunthecity  

Monterunthecity

Posted 17 May 2020 - 08:37 PM

I managed to get a TMNT arcade at Walmart for $150 . I checked a few days later, and the price went back to MSRP. The store I got it from now says out of stock (it had two left). I'm going to put it together tonight, we'll see how it goes.

Damn I would pull the trigger for 150 . All my stores say 399

#2114 georox   The Captain CAGiversary!   7664 Posts   Joined 13.2 Years Ago  

Posted 18 May 2020 - 01:36 AM

I'd get a TMNT or Marvel for 200.... I want the Street Fighter cocktail table for 300 though. That's the big goal.

#2115 HyperG   GamersVlog.com CAGiversary!   2921 Posts   Joined 7.8 Years Ago  

Posted 18 May 2020 - 11:18 AM

Damn I would pull the trigger for 150 . All my stores say 399

i ran into a problem though putting this together... the pre-drilled holes for placing the monitor on one of the sides, conveniently turned to dust once I started turning the screw in. At least in one hole. I gave up for now as it's past 6 am.

So if anyone has any suggestions for a noob (use wood filler or just move brackets/redo holes, if so with or without a drill), thanks.

#2116 defpally   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   2055 Posts   Joined 10.2 Years Ago  

defpally

Posted 18 May 2020 - 12:53 PM

i ran into a problem though putting this together... the pre-drilled holes for placing the monitor on one of the sides, conveniently turned to dust once I started turning the screw in. At least in one hole. I gave up for now as it's past 6 am.

So if anyone has any suggestions for a noob (use wood filler or just move brackets/redo holes, if so with or without a drill), thanks.

Wood filler will not hold a screw, it is for finishing a surface, not adding integrity.  A good way to fill in a hole that can then be re-drilled is to mix a little sawdust with wood glue. 

#2117 pbfluff   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   772 Posts   Joined 11.8 Years Ago  

Posted 18 May 2020 - 02:22 PM

out of curiosity, how do you all feel about button placements on the control panel?

i’ve found the american style straight line of buttons a lot less comfortable than the japanese curved style.

i love seeing the pics of all these different setups.

#2118 shoe478   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1808 Posts   Joined 12.9 Years Ago  

Posted 18 May 2020 - 03:18 PM

https://finance.yaho...305.html?bcmt=1

I wonder how the clearance cabs factor into this?
The Walmarts I've been to just usually have one TMNT cab left on the shelf

#2119 HyperG   GamersVlog.com CAGiversary!   2921 Posts   Joined 7.8 Years Ago  

Posted 21 May 2020 - 09:24 AM

Wood filler will not hold a screw, it is for finishing a surface, not adding integrity.  A good way to fill in a hole that can then be re-drilled is to mix a little sawdust with wood glue. 

I ended up using wood glue and broken up toothpicks to fill the holes, finally got around to finishing it last night. 

#2120 shoe478   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1808 Posts   Joined 12.9 Years Ago  

Posted 22 May 2020 - 07:43 PM

Found a Space Invaders Countercade $99.93 In-store at Office Depot https://brickseek.co...er/?sku=7457935

#2121 ZiggyGod   Aspiring Hero CAGiversary!   399 Posts   Joined 13.5 Years Ago  

Posted 22 May 2020 - 08:51 PM

Found a Space Invaders Countercade $99.93 In-store at Office Depot https://brickseek.co...er/?sku=7457935

According to the actual Office Depot website my local store has one in stock and I can buy it online with in store pick up but the store is showing $199 while BrickSeek shows its $99. It makes me wonder if the BrickSeek price is accurate. Any clue where in the store they house these?

#2122 shoe478   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1808 Posts   Joined 12.9 Years Ago  

Posted 22 May 2020 - 09:05 PM

According to the actual Office Depot website my local store has one in stock and I can buy it online with in store pick up but the store is showing $199 while BrickSeek shows its $99. It makes me wonder if the BrickSeek price is accurate. Any clue where in the store they house these?

My store showed the same thing, it was with the rest of the clearance stuff. Office Depots I've been to usually have a clearance section

#2123 ZiggyGod   Aspiring Hero CAGiversary!   399 Posts   Joined 13.5 Years Ago  

Posted 22 May 2020 - 09:07 PM

My store showed the same thing, it was with the rest of the clearance stuff. Office Depots I've been to usually have a clearance section

Guess I'll have to go in and check it out in person. I might buy it at that price and just mod it. I always wanted one for the office.

#2124 shoe478   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1808 Posts   Joined 12.9 Years Ago  

Posted 22 May 2020 - 09:18 PM

Is this GameStop Preorder of the Legends Ultimate old news? I searched this thread but didn't see anything. $600 and releases on 6/10/2020. I know it's cheaper at Sam's but some people might have credit and might actually be able to order one.

https://www.gamestop...wE&gclsrc=aw.ds

#2125 shoe478   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1808 Posts   Joined 12.9 Years Ago  

Posted 22 May 2020 - 09:28 PM

Guess I'll have to go in and check it out in person. I might buy it at that price and just mod it. I always wanted one for the office.

Yes, the screen sucks though. Might be better to get some other kit to build. Here's a video on a guy doing it

https://youtu.be/F3JKzmkzwxA