* * * * - 6 votes

The Home Arcade Tremendous Deals and Discussion Thread. Renamed by a beautiful Executive Order. Believe me.

#2551 TheGuido   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   440 Posts   Joined 12.2 Years Ago  

Posted 15 October 2020 - 01:20 AM

That’s awesome! I need cooler neighbors.

Is it a standup outrun or a sit down?

He also had a Big Buck Hunter II and a Golden Tee 99. They were way to big for me to try to move though. I don't have a truck, I didn't have help...those things are damn heavy. I wanted them all too.

#2552 purbeast   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   774 Posts   Joined 12.3 Years Ago  

Posted 15 October 2020 - 01:44 AM

Yeah its a CRT.

Man, all that stuff sounds complicated. Is it? What kind of tools do I need for a job like that?

You really just need a soldering iron and know how to desolder stuff to do a capkit.  It's just desoldering old ones and putting the new ones on.  But you have to take the monitor out. 

My first one I paid someone to do it.  The one I did myself took me a bit because it was my first try but I did it.  I now have 2 more that I want to do but haven't gotten around to it.  It just depends how much stuff you want to do.

You still haven't said what the problem is though.  It could even be something as simple as a plug falling out if you aren't getting any picture at all.  There really isn't much to these arcade games as far as parts.  It's just a few different things all connected by wires.  

#2553 Saphoon   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   2006 Posts   Joined 16.8 Years Ago  

Posted 15 October 2020 - 01:46 AM

He also had a Big Buck Hunter II and a Golden Tee 99. They were way to big for me to try to move though. I don't have a truck, I didn't have help...those things are damn heavy. I wanted them all too.

I don't remember BBH and GT 99 being much bigger than Outrun. Could have rented a U-Haul for $20 an hour like my neighbor recently did.

#2554 Richard Kain   The Kaiser CAGiversary!   2881 Posts   Joined 13.2 Years Ago  

Richard Kain

Posted 15 October 2020 - 03:33 PM

Monitors can be difficult to repair, and insanely expensive to replace. CRTs are considered a specialty market these days, and typically only get produced for specific purposes. Thanks to how affordable flat-panel displays have gotten, and how arcades have fallen out of favor, arcade games are not considered a priority for CRT production. So getting a new replacement screen would be prohibitively expensive.

An alternative would be to get a capable conversion board on-line, and use that to output the video signal from the arcade board to a flat-panel display. This will introduce some lag, but with the right conversion board the lag can be kept to a minimum. And with the ability to use flat-panel HDMI screens, your possibilities for replacement expand dramatically. It's not an authentic solution, but it is considerably more affordable and less hassle.

#2555 TheGuido   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   440 Posts   Joined 12.2 Years Ago  

Posted 15 October 2020 - 03:47 PM

Thank you all for your input!

#2556 Saphoon   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   2006 Posts   Joined 16.8 Years Ago  

Posted 15 October 2020 - 10:31 PM

Monitors can be difficult to repair, and insanely expensive to replace. CRTs are considered a specialty market these days, and typically only get produced for specific purposes. Thanks to how affordable flat-panel displays have gotten, and how arcades have fallen out of favor, arcade games are not considered a priority for CRT production. So getting a new replacement screen would be prohibitively expensive.

An alternative would be to get a capable conversion board on-line, and use that to output the video signal from the arcade board to a flat-panel display. This will introduce some lag, but with the right conversion board the lag can be kept to a minimum. And with the ability to use flat-panel HDMI screens, your possibilities for replacement expand dramatically. It's not an authentic solution, but it is considerably more affordable and less hassle.

I know a guy who did that to an old Galaxian machine. He must have replaced more than the monitor, as it could play many different games besides Galaxian. There's also a Ms. Pac-Man at a classic gaming bar near me that they did the same thing with. With OutRun, you open it up to all sorts of driving games, like Super Monaco GP, Chase HQ, and OutRun's sequels Turbo and Runners.

#2557 topchief1   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   505 Posts   Joined 12.4 Years Ago  

topchief1

Posted 16 October 2020 - 06:45 PM

I picked up a Legends Ultimate Arcade system from Sam's club last weekend and finally got it put together. But man, there's so much info on what to do or there to put all the games on there, but to do it the right way, and stuff about countdowns and firmware versions, it makes my head spin

#2558 MrshllJcb   Drinkin High Life CAGiversary!   4386 Posts   Joined 9.9 Years Ago  

Posted 16 October 2020 - 07:24 PM

Not sure if this was mentioned, not really arcade related but made by Arcade 1up.

https://www.kickstar...campaign=launch

Pricey, but very cool if you are looking for a new way to do family game nights.

#2559 pbfluff   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   877 Posts   Joined 12.2 Years Ago  

Posted 16 October 2020 - 07:30 PM

I picked up a Legends Ultimate Arcade system from Sam's club last weekend and finally got it put together. But man, there's so much info on what to do or there to put all the games on there, but to do it the right way, and stuff about countdowns and firmware versions, it makes my head spin

fansofsauce, join discord, samsung fit plus usb

#2560 purbeast   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   774 Posts   Joined 12.3 Years Ago  

Posted 16 October 2020 - 08:30 PM

Not sure if this was mentioned, not really arcade related but made by Arcade 1up.

Pricey, but very cool if you are looking for a new way to do family game nights.

That is pretty damn neat.  

But it's WWWWAAAAAAYYYYYY more than I would ever pay for anything like that lol. 

Especially knowing the build quality of A1up cabs.

#2561 Jodou   Infamous CAGiversary!   15132 Posts   Joined 11.8 Years Ago  

Posted 17 October 2020 - 04:04 AM

Saw that browsing board games. Much better to custom build a gaming table and drop a monitor in. Can use it for regular board games and campaign maps if you dabble in that at all.

#2562 teh lurv  

teh lurv

Posted 19 October 2020 - 02:51 PM

Gamestop's daily deal is the Frogger A1U cabinet bundle (cabinet w/light up marquee and control deck, riser, & bar stool) for $399. 

https://www.gamestop...p/11100300.html

#2563 HaloGX   DCGX CAGiversary!   1053 Posts   Joined 15.3 Years Ago  

Posted 19 October 2020 - 03:05 PM

Yeah. I think I'm over Arcade1Up. The only cab I have is the limited edition Marvel Super Heroes cab, but I just can't justify these prices anymore compared to the games and amount of games each has. The board game table is a really cool idea, but the only model worth getting is $700 (as discussed) during the Kickstarter! I know licensing, but still, damn.

#2564 kwick7   CAG Lurking Veteran CAGiversary!   639 Posts   Joined 15.5 Years Ago  

Posted 19 October 2020 - 03:09 PM

Really long interview with retro Ralph and John D from Arcade1up. Lots of quick reveals and tidbits about upcoming cabinets.

Worth a watch. Biggest takeaway for me is golden tee/bowling is still happening, it’s no longer silver strike bowling but sounds like it’ll be World Class Bowling (awesome game), may have newer golden tee games on it, may have online leaderboards, and may have a different form factor. A pedestal would be SICK.

#2565 Sean Price II  

Sean Price II

Posted 19 October 2020 - 05:36 PM

Really long interview with retro Ralph and John D from Arcade1up. Lots of quick reveals and tidbits about upcoming cabinets.

Worth a watch. Biggest takeaway for me is golden tee/bowling is still happening, it’s no longer silver strike bowling but sounds like it’ll be World Class Bowling (awesome game), may have newer golden tee games on it, may have online leaderboards, and may have a different form factor. A pedestal would be SICK.

Any mention or update of the fabled upcoming MK anniversary cab? 

#2566 kwick7   CAG Lurking Veteran CAGiversary!   639 Posts   Joined 15.5 Years Ago  

Posted 19 October 2020 - 06:43 PM

Any mention or update of the fabled upcoming MK anniversary cab?

Not a fighting game fan myself, so if there was I wasn’t listening, sorry.

#2567 Shojsauce   Owner of RewindReview CAGiversary!   1106 Posts   Joined 13.3 Years Ago  

Posted 20 October 2020 - 01:16 PM

I'm so bummed to have apparently missed when the marvel superheroes cabs got clearanced here in south florida. My goal was to get one of those and build my tankstick and pc into it.

#2568 BrandonJF   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   700 Posts   Joined 12.1 Years Ago  

BrandonJF

Posted 20 October 2020 - 02:26 PM

Kinda surprised they sold out of the Golden Axe cab.  Never saw it was "limited" like the BurgerTime cab.  Unless they are just sold out of their first run and will eventually put it back up.  

#2569 kwick7   CAG Lurking Veteran CAGiversary!   639 Posts   Joined 15.5 Years Ago  

Posted 20 October 2020 - 02:55 PM

Kinda surprised they sold out of the Golden Axe cab. Never saw it was "limited" like the BurgerTime cab. Unless they are just sold out of their first run and will eventually put it back up.

Pretty sure on the link I posted earlier (retro Ralph) John D said it’ll be coming to retailers but likely with a higher price point.

#2570 teh lurv  

teh lurv

Posted 20 October 2020 - 05:30 PM

Pretty sure on the link I posted earlier (retro Ralph) John D said it’ll be coming to retailers but likely with a higher price point.

Yeah according to the interview, Golden Axe is coming to at least one US retailer in 2021 @ $499. 

I was also glad to hear from that interview that A1U has plans to revisit the Gen 1 games with updated cabinets. 

#2571 kwick7   CAG Lurking Veteran CAGiversary!   639 Posts   Joined 15.5 Years Ago  

Posted 20 October 2020 - 05:52 PM

Yeah according to the interview, Golden Axe is coming to at least one US retailer in 2021 @ $499.

I was also glad to hear from that interview that A1U has plans to revisit the Gen 1 games with updated cabinets.

John kept saying “new form factor” a few times too. And mentioned a sit down driving cab followed by a standing cab.

I’d buy a golden tee/bowling pedestal cab in a heartbeat. A sit down outrun would also be slick.

#2572 purbeast   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   774 Posts   Joined 12.3 Years Ago  

Posted 20 October 2020 - 05:54 PM

If those sitdown racing cabs are 3/4 scale, adults will not be able to even fit in them lol.

I can't imagine how much they will charge for a sit down racing cab too.

#2573 nightc1   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   3344 Posts   Joined 15.3 Years Ago  

Posted 20 October 2020 - 09:07 PM

I'd imagine a sit down driving cab would be similar in construction to the star wars arcade sit down cab they made with the pull out bench.   Not sure how functional that was for adults... and I likely will never find out.

#2574 Indiana Jones   Yippie kai yay! CAGiversary!   2431 Posts   Joined 15.3 Years Ago  

Indiana Jones

Posted 20 October 2020 - 10:59 PM

That's good to hear. Don't want to overpay a third party for it only to find out it's damaged when I open the box.

#2575 doctorwolf   CAG Newbie CAGiversary!   236 Posts   Joined 7.6 Years Ago  

doctorwolf

Posted 21 October 2020 - 04:03 AM

This initially sold for $399 and now I see it's sold out at $499. Did they instantly jack the price up or something?

#2576 kwick7   CAG Lurking Veteran CAGiversary!   639 Posts   Joined 15.5 Years Ago  

Posted 21 October 2020 - 12:51 PM

This initially sold for $399 and now I see it's sold out at $499. Did they instantly jack the price up or something?

That was asked in the interview. John said 399 was the “special initial price” or whatever he referred to it as and that 499 is the regular retail price.

Edit: here’s another video I just found that sort of condenses everything from the retro Ralph video:

https://youtu.be/lkd_ad3u4FY

#2577 BrandonJF   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   700 Posts   Joined 12.1 Years Ago  

BrandonJF

Posted 21 October 2020 - 03:15 PM

That was asked in the interview. John said 399 was the “special initial price” or whatever he referred to it as and that 499 is the regular retail price.

Edit: here’s another video I just found that sort of condenses everything from the retro Ralph video:

I don't recall them mentioning a "special initial price" when they first listed it.  I don't know if that would've sold me on jumping on it (no matter the price, I don't have room since I'm sure they will come up with something I'd prefer over Golden Axe).  I was close to getting it and thought I was going to, but then Super Pac-Man popped up out of nowhere.

I wonder if this really "sold out" or if they just decided to cut off their $400 orders and send the rest to retailers.  Then again, I have a feeling the $500 version probably won't be the exact same configuration and they'll throw in a stool.  Although, it is sold by a retailer in Canada for would amount to $457 USD.

#2578 elvis731   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   502 Posts   Joined 16.8 Years Ago  

Posted 21 October 2020 - 04:41 PM

I thought about picking up Golden Axe at $399, but didn't.  That said, after shipping and tax, wasn't that already coming out to closer to $499 in the end?  I thought I've read that the shipping cost direct was really high.  If so, the idea of it being $499 wouldn't bother me as much.  Yeah, you'd still get tax tacked on, but if you can find one that even slightly on sale, it more or less balances itself out.

I've been thinking more and more about picking up a Legends Ultimate and will probably do so before the end of the year.  If that happens, I'll likely only be interested in Arcade 1ups that have unique controls like Star Wars or the racing games.  Looking forward to the announcements on these pinball machines and wish the At Games one would get a full final reveal.

#2579 soonerdoc   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   744 Posts   Joined 16.9 Years Ago  

Posted 22 October 2020 - 06:07 AM

I thought about picking up Golden Axe at $399, but didn't.  That said, after shipping and tax, wasn't that already coming out to closer to $499 in the end?  I thought I've read that the shipping cost direct was really high.  If so, the idea of it being $499 wouldn't bother me as much.  Yeah, you'd still get tax tacked on, but if you can find one that even slightly on sale, it more or less balances itself out.

I've been thinking more and more about picking up a Legends Ultimate and will probably do so before the end of the year.  If that happens, I'll likely only be interested in Arcade 1ups that have unique controls like Star Wars or the racing games.  Looking forward to the announcements on these pinball machines and wish the At Games one would get a full final reveal.

Didn’t atgames reveal it today?

#2580 dorath  

Posted 22 October 2020 - 06:17 AM

Star Wars on sale at Gamestop:
https://www.gamestop...r/11095878.html