* * * * - 6 votes

The Home Arcade Tremendous Deals and Discussion Thread

#3001 nightc1   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   3475 Posts   Joined 15.7 Years Ago  

Posted 26 February 2021 - 09:46 PM

Very nearly over the edge on the Legends Ultimate Arcade purchase. Someone push me over.

What's holding you back?  For myself, I have a retropi and custom arcade controls setup that I rarely touch... I don't think I'd end up playing it as much as I would hope.

If you have a home for it and will actually put a lot of time into playing it... I think this is easily the best option out there.

#3002 soonerdoc   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   830 Posts   Joined 17.2 Years Ago  

Posted 27 February 2021 - 07:01 AM

Very nearly over the edge on the Legends Ultimate Arcade purchase. Someone push me over.

It’s awesome. One of the best video game purchases I’ve made. Bought one of the first ones from Sams way back in November of 2019. Been thrilled with it. 

#3003 n64ra   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   2818 Posts   Joined 13.5 Years Ago  

Posted 01 March 2021 - 04:43 PM

giphy.gif

#3004 chrislaustin   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   7696 Posts   Joined 15.2 Years Ago  

chrislaustin

Posted 04 March 2021 - 12:16 AM

Well, New Wave Toys latest Replicade is now up for pre-order for the next 2 weeks(Capcom/Romstar 1942 & 1943 Overhaul Edition). Now a few things to note, is that both cabs include 1942 & 1943 games, the only real difference is the look of each. The 1942 cab is shorter, so the extra 2 player controller does not appear to have the hiding space in the rear like their SF2 cab had, or the 1943 cab appears to have.

I was only planing to get the OG 1942, but that will probably not fit as well among my other cabs, since it is shorter. I will also miss that storage space in the rear, so in this case, I may just go for the 1943 cab and call it a day, as I'm not that in to either game were I need to buy both.

They also have their new USB change charger(blue ver.), up for pre-order as well. Of course all said items have there pre-order discount, so get in early if you don't want to pay the full retail at release. Although I can't see much of a demand for either of these and probably why they are doing open pre-orders, as a way to gauge demand.

https://newwavetoys.com

#3005 adkenner  

adkenner

Posted 04 March 2021 - 12:36 AM

Hello. I'm a high school teacher, and we are redoing our teachers lounge. I thought it would be an awesome surprise for the staff to put a cabinet in there to mess around with. 

I know there are a ton of options, but I have to pay for it out of pocket...so whats the best choice. A countercade and then hack it add games?

What would be my cheapest/best option?

#3006 purbeast   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   1009 Posts   Joined 12.7 Years Ago  

Posted 04 March 2021 - 01:18 AM

Hello. I'm a high school teacher, and we are redoing our teachers lounge. I thought it would be an awesome surprise for the staff to put a cabinet in there to mess around with. 

I know there are a ton of options, but I have to pay for it out of pocket...so whats the best choice. A countercade and then hack it add games?

I would just steer clear of Arcade 1up since you have adults as the audience of the cabinet, especially if you are looking to have 2 people playing at once.

As for hacking up one of the other options, you may want to see first if "hacking" it and loading it with ROMs would be okay in a professional environment since emulation is such a gray area.

But if you get one of the Legends cabinets or ones that already come loaded with a bunch, then that is all good.

Or hell try to find an actual JAMMA cabinet and get a Pandora's Box to put in there.  Those things go for cheap and just plug into a JAMMA harness.

#3007 KrayzieKMF   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   3803 Posts   Joined 16.7 Years Ago  

Posted 04 March 2021 - 01:24 AM

I would just steer clear of Arcade 1up since you have adults as the audience of the cabinet, especially if you are looking to have 2 people playing at once.

As for hacking up one of the other options, you may want to see first if "hacking" it and loading it with ROMs would be okay in a professional environment since emulation is such a gray area.

But if you get one of the Legends cabinets or ones that already come loaded with a bunch, then that is all good.

Or hell try to find an actual JAMMA cabinet and get a Pandora's Box to put in there.  Those things go for cheap and just plug into a JAMMA harness.

he really shouldn't do anything with ROMs if he's bringing it into work

• Tyf likes this

#3008 purbeast   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   1009 Posts   Joined 12.7 Years Ago  

Posted 04 March 2021 - 02:33 AM

Yeah I mean I know I wouldn't do anything like that but it's not up to me to tell him what to do with his job heh.

Maybe just get something like this.

https://www.ebay.com...ot/402393511489

It just depends how deep into it you wanna get.  Buy a plug and play thing like above, or buy an old cabinet and fix it up himself.

#3009 defpally   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   2247 Posts   Joined 10.9 Years Ago  

defpally

Posted 04 March 2021 - 05:59 AM

Yeah, you definitely want to go with one of the licensed options if you are going to put it at work.  Most people either don't know or don't care, but there will always be that one guy ...

And with a government facility like a school, software licensing is not something you want to play around with, even for that.

#3010 kwick7   CAG Lurking Veteran CAGiversary!   864 Posts   Joined 15.9 Years Ago  

Posted 04 March 2021 - 03:11 PM

Picked up a cabinet I’ve been trying to get for years now (at a reasonable price) - PGA Tour Golf. It’s currently a Challenge 3 (2004 I think) and I’ll upgrade it to the last version they made. Such a great game. Going to completely rebuild the pedestal for it and mount a 32” tv on the wall for it. Will sit in between my arcade1up golden tee and my arcade1up conversion mame machine. Super pumped. My barcade is now complete. For now, of course.

I passed on a a couple of silver strike bowling cabs I found. Missed out on a dirt cheap golden tee 2011 cab that I’m super sad about.

#3011 kwick7   CAG Lurking Veteran CAGiversary!   864 Posts   Joined 15.9 Years Ago  

Posted 04 March 2021 - 03:14 PM

Here’s my current mess of an incomplete barcade. Awaiting some parts to finish the virtual pinball and a few other things. PGA going where the barrel is and I’m hooking it up to 2 TVs. Gonna have to redo that wall again.
32187E43-23FB-4DAD-A9AF-5701015A5314.jpeg

#3012 purbeast   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   1009 Posts   Joined 12.7 Years Ago  

Posted 04 March 2021 - 08:30 PM

Just got this in the mail.  This is the second one of these I've ever seen for sale since I got back into the hobby late 2019.

image0.jpg

#3013 Saphoon   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   2053 Posts   Joined 17.1 Years Ago  

Posted 05 March 2021 - 06:23 AM

Well, New Wave Toys latest Replicade is now up for pre-order for the next 2 weeks(Capcom/Romstar 1942 & 1943 Overhaul Edition). Now a few things to note, is that both cabs include 1942 & 1943 games, the only real difference is the look of each. The 1942 cab is shorter, so the extra 2 player controller does not appear to have the hiding space in the rear like their SF2 cab had, or the 1943 cab appears to have.

I was only planing to get the OG 1942, but that will probably not fit as well among my other cabs, since it is shorter. I will also miss that storage space in the rear, so in this case, I may just go for the 1943 cab and call it a day, as I'm not that in to either game were I need to buy both.

They also have their new USB change charger(blue ver.), up for pre-order as well. Of course all said items have there pre-order discount, so get in early if you don't want to pay the full retail at release. Although I can't see much of a demand for either of these and probably why they are doing open pre-orders, as a way to gauge demand.

https://newwavetoys.com

Glad to see NWT will no longer be the website with nothing to sell. These look nice, even though I've never seen a 1942 cabinet like this. They can also each play two games. Would be a must have if it included 1941 and 19XX, like I hoped. Even the Kai upgrade to 1943 would have been nice, as it was included in the Capcom compilations released over the years featuring these games. Nevertheless, this is definitely a "maybe." Also nice is there are four more silhouettes which will ideally become future releases. Unfortunately, none feature the unique shape of the DL cabinet, so Space Ace is not among them. In fact, DL has been completely removed from their site (as has Asteroids). I heard Missile Command is one of these planned releases, and the silhouette two spaces to the left of 1942 is the perfect shape for it.

#3014 chubbyninja1319   Where's my stuff!? CAGiversary!   5467 Posts   Joined 16.7 Years Ago  

chubbyninja1319

Posted 05 March 2021 - 01:29 PM

Super fun idea!  I'd go with something straight-forward and simple from A1UP.  Pac Man is always a favorite.  Those Pac Man party-cades are on sale at QVC right now and come with a few games.  If you attach that to a wall, that'd be darn near perfect, I think.  

#3015 chrislaustin   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   7696 Posts   Joined 15.2 Years Ago  

chrislaustin

Posted 05 March 2021 - 03:05 PM

Something else I noticed about these latest Replicades, is that they are only offered to US & Canada ONLY, due to licensing, so I would be curious to know what that's about? Is this in relation to another company offering mini cabs outside the US? Or just a licensing issue were company A has rights here, while company B has rights elsewhere? Who knows?

After some thought, I think I'm going to go with the smaller 1942 cab(wood-grain), instead of the more full size of the 1943. After looking both over much closer, I just like the features of the 1942 better, as it uses a ball top style stick, while the other uses the bat top/tear drop style sticks, which I can't stand from an aesthetics stand point. And since the 2-player stick matches the 1943 cab, I figured I would go for more variety, and opt for the 1942 cab over the 1943 one.

#3016 kwick7   CAG Lurking Veteran CAGiversary!   864 Posts   Joined 15.9 Years Ago  

Posted 05 March 2021 - 06:01 PM

Glad to see NWT will no longer be the website with nothing to sell. These look nice, even though I've never seen a 1942 cabinet like this. They can also each play two games. Would be a must have if it included 1941 and 19XX, like I hoped. Even the Kai upgrade to 1943 would have been nice, as it was included in the Capcom compilations released over the years featuring these games. Nevertheless, this is definitely a "maybe." Also nice is there are four more silhouettes which will ideally become future releases. Unfortunately, none feature the unique shape of the DL cabinet, so Space Ace is not among them. In fact, DL has been completely removed from their site (as has Asteroids). I heard Missile Command is one of these planned releases, and the silhouette two spaces to the left of 1942 is the perfect shape for it.

I wish those usb change machines battery banks were much bigger. Closer to an Arcade1up.

I may still get one of these as I have a few usb powered lights and such in my arcade that are all hooked up to smart outlets. I could hook them all up to this instead and then plug this into the outlet.

Edit: $18 shipping for the tiny usb coin machine and one keychain. No thanks.

#3017 Saphoon   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   2053 Posts   Joined 17.1 Years Ago  

Posted Yesterday, 07:41 PM

I wish those usb change machines battery banks were much bigger. Closer to an Arcade1up.

I may still get one of these as I have a few usb powered lights and such in my arcade that are all hooked up to smart outlets. I could hook them all up to this instead and then plug this into the outlet.

Edit: $18 shipping for the tiny usb coin machine and one keychain. No thanks.

It's around $20 shipping for the 1942 cabinet, and presumably the same for the 1943 or any other cabinet they may offer now or in the future. Amazon has that keychain for the same price New Wave is charging, but with free Prime shipping.

#3018 Saphoon   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   2053 Posts   Joined 17.1 Years Ago  

Posted Yesterday, 07:59 PM

Something else I noticed about these latest Replicades, is that they are only offered to US & Canada ONLY, due to licensing, so I would be curious to know what that's about? Is this in relation to another company offering mini cabs outside the US? Or just a licensing issue were company A has rights here, while company B has rights elsewhere? Who knows?

After some thought, I think I'm going to go with the smaller 1942 cab(wood-grain), instead of the more full size of the 1943. After looking both over much closer, I just like the features of the 1942 better, as it uses a ball top style stick, while the other uses the bat top/tear drop style sticks, which I can't stand from an aesthetics stand point. And since the 2-player stick matches the 1943 cab, I figured I would go for more variety, and opt for the 1942 cab over the 1943 one.

I also personally like the 1942 one better. It's more authentic to the original (as the original only had one joystick and set of buttons in the same place as the replica), the artwork is larger and more colorful, and the cabinet itself is unique in design. I''ve never seen one of these lowboys. The 1942 cabinets I've seen and played were either the rather lackluster upright version, or the cockpit-style MACH 3 conversion tragedies. It must have been popular, since they returned to a similar design for the post 1943 games (1941, 19XX, and 1944). I'm not sure if the original cabinet dimensions was more akin to cabaret machines, or a shorter, different shaped, but still considered full sized machine like Gauntlet. Regardless of the original dimensions, the replica height is 11 inches - only 1 inch shorter than the typical height for their other cabinets.