* * * * - 6 votes

The Home Arcade Tremendous Deals and Discussion Thread

#3391 purbeast   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   1096 Posts   Joined 13.0 Years Ago  

Posted 24 April 2021 - 02:20 PM

dont emulators inherently lag? and that's why retroarch has a run-ahead feature to fight it

I'm not sure about that but wouldn't be surprised if it's like a few MS or something.  I don't think it's anything perceivable by humans.

I do know that my retropie setup has no perceivable lag, so that compared to Gamer Pro was night/day difference.

MAME cab also doesn't have any input lag but that is also using a CRT.

Both retropie and MAME cab are using retroarch under the hood.  

Ever since I got really into SF4 back when it came out is when I got super sensitive to input lag.  Before I got into it competitively I was not bothered by input lag and didn't notice it myself.  The only reason I started was because I got serious about SF4 and started going to local gatherings, and they were playing on lagless monitors, and my moves wouldn't come out.  And the reason is because I was doing them late, because I was used to that playing at home. 

I then went out and bought a lagless monitor myself and started playing SF4 on a 21" monitor instead of a 50" DLP.  And since then, I simply cannot play anything with input lag.  It just completely ruins it for me.  

But, I also get why some people may not be bothered by it or perceive it, because I wasn't even aware it was a thing for a long ass time.  I wish I didn't notice it.  But it's not really possible to be competitive at games like fighters if you're playing with any input lag due to the nature of having to react.

#3392 husher   Yet what is any ocean but a multitude of drops? CAGiversary!   2723 Posts   Joined 14.1 Years Ago  

Posted 24 April 2021 - 03:37 PM

Purbeast is that guy behind you at a stop light  that beeps immediately as the  light turns green...zero tolerance for input lag. (I kid, I kid.)

When I first turned on the LGP, I saw Cadash and jumped in right away.  Input lag was so horrible I couldn't really play it.  I got worried because of the issues Purbeast had.  Firmware update fixed it though.  Installed coinopsx and everything works fine. There is some input lag with using the deck wirelessly, but I'm mainly using this to just  revisit old games.  I play half of them for a round or two and say, "Yep, this game was designed to take my money."  Nostalgia can really mess with you.

#3393 purbeast   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   1096 Posts   Joined 13.0 Years Ago  

Posted 24 April 2021 - 04:46 PM

Purbeast is that guy behind you at a stop light  that beeps immediately as the  light turns green...zero tolerance for input lag. (I kid, I kid.)

When I first turned on the LGP, I saw Cadash and jumped in right away.  Input lag was so horrible I couldn't really play it.  I got worried because of the issues Purbeast had.  Firmware update fixed it though.  Installed coinopsx and everything works fine. There is some input lag with using the deck wirelessly, but I'm mainly using this to just  revisit old games.  I play half of them for a round or two and say, "Yep, this game was designed to take my money."  Nostalgia came really mess with you.

Have you tried comparing wired vs. wireless as far as input lag goes?

#3394 husher   Yet what is any ocean but a multitude of drops? CAGiversary!   2723 Posts   Joined 14.1 Years Ago  

Posted 24 April 2021 - 05:48 PM

Still there, maybe a little better.  I admit it can be a little bit of pain playing shooters.  I wanna try other controllers out...the deck is nice and all, but freakin huge to just sit on the couch and goof off with some NARC.

#3395 purbeast   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   1096 Posts   Joined 13.0 Years Ago  

Posted 24 April 2021 - 06:00 PM

Still there, maybe a little better.  I admit it can be a little bit of pain playing shooters.  I wanna try other controllers out...the deck is nice and all, but freakin huge to just sit on the couch and goof off with some NARC.

Yeah some games it's okay on but other it's not.  Like playing MK2 and SF2 just wasn't possible with the lag.  MK2 had a lot of sound issues as well which was really disappointing.  Some of the shmups were fine and Metal Slug even though it was a little laggy.  

#3396 Josef   Raising Acts! CAGiversary!   13432 Posts   Joined 17.3 Years Ago  

Posted 24 April 2021 - 07:38 PM

I usually give them a few seconds to get moving, but when you are first in line at a light you have a responsibility to the drivers in back of you to get off your phone and pay attention!

#3397 cdeener   Love Those Price Drops!!! CAGiversary!   5064 Posts   Joined 16.5 Years Ago  

Posted 24 April 2021 - 10:32 PM

Anybody know a way to load CoinOpsX to a USB drive with a Google Chromebook? My Windows PC I would use crapped out on me a while ago and only thing I have access to is the Chromebook.

#3398 avatar94   CAG Addict CAGiversary!   665 Posts   Joined 15.6 Years Ago  

Posted 25 April 2021 - 01:07 AM

Anybody know a way to load CoinOpsX to a USB drive with a Google Chromebook? My Windows PC I would use crapped out on me a while ago and only thing I have access to is the Chromebook.

Don't think there is a way... the AddOnX tool will only run in Windows

#3399 cdeener   Love Those Price Drops!!! CAGiversary!   5064 Posts   Joined 16.5 Years Ago  

Posted 25 April 2021 - 01:49 AM

Don't think there is a way... the AddOnX tool will only run in Windows

Thought that may be the case. I might just have to see if I can get over to a family members house with a Windows PC and take the puck with me & Xbox Controller to get it to work.

#3400 Nealocus123   That's Vagtastic! CAGiversary!   1342 Posts   Joined 15.6 Years Ago  

Nealocus123

Posted 26 April 2021 - 01:39 AM

This doesn't have to do with input lag (sorry), but I recently discovered a pretty badass submarine shooter called "In the Hunt". Not sure if it's popular or not but I had a really good time with it. Was bummed it doesn't support saving though.

Anyways just thought I'd let ya'll know. I always find the game selection on my CoinOpsX a bit overwhelming.

#3401 purbeast   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   1096 Posts   Joined 13.0 Years Ago  

Posted 26 April 2021 - 03:17 AM

This doesn't have to do with input lag (sorry), but I recently discovered a pretty badass submarine shooter called "In the Hunt". Not sure if it's popular or not but I had a really good time with it. Was bummed it doesn't support saving though.

Anyways just thought I'd let ya'll know. I always find the game selection on my CoinOpsX a bit overwhelming.

Never heard of it.

You may want to also check out this game called "Street Fighter 2".  It's a little unknown fighting game from back in the day.  Some say there is a competitor called "Mortal Kombat" as well but I'm not too familiar with it.

/s

#3402 chrislaustin   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   7712 Posts   Joined 15.5 Years Ago  

chrislaustin

Posted 26 April 2021 - 03:37 PM

Yeah, In the Hunt is one of my favorite shooters of all time, and I play it on a pretty regular basis, either through Mame or the PS1 version. And for those who may not know, some of the team members from this game, later went on to work on Metal Slug. 

In the Hunt is for sure an hidden gem, as it seems to have gotten more popular over the years, than it ever was when it was first offered in arcades. That's a game I would love to see get a more updated version of, but if it never happens, that's fine, as the original never gets old. LOL

#3403 Nealocus123   That's Vagtastic! CAGiversary!   1342 Posts   Joined 15.6 Years Ago  

Nealocus123

Posted 26 April 2021 - 06:34 PM

Never heard of it.

You may want to also check out this game called "Street Fighter 2".  It's a little unknown fighting game from back in the day.  Some say there is a competitor called "Mortal Kombat" as well but I'm not too familiar with it.

/s

Look at you, a whole post without talking about input lag! Keep it up bud. Proud of you.

#3404 Nealocus123   That's Vagtastic! CAGiversary!   1342 Posts   Joined 15.6 Years Ago  

Nealocus123

Posted 26 April 2021 - 06:37 PM

Yeah, In the Hunt is one of my favorite shooters of all time, and I play it on a pretty regular basis, either through Mame or the PS1 version. And for those who may not know, some of the team members from this game, later went on to work on Metal Slug. 

In the Hunt is for sure an hidden gem, as it seems to have gotten more popular over the years, than it ever was when it was first offered in arcades. That's a game I would love to see get a more updated version of, but if it never happens, that's fine, as the original never gets old. LOL

Oh didn't even know it was on the PS1, that's cool. I definitely would like to see an updated version at some point.

Whoops, sorry for double post.

#3405 nightc1   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   3637 Posts   Joined 16.0 Years Ago  

Posted 26 April 2021 - 06:48 PM

In The Hunt was one of the first games I played after setting up my retropi.  I was reading up on the history of the Metal Slug series and the developers/artists involved.   There's also GunForce and GunForce II to experience by many of the same people.   Well worth checking them all out.

#3406 chrislaustin   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   7712 Posts   Joined 15.5 Years Ago  

chrislaustin

Posted 26 April 2021 - 11:05 PM

In The Hunt was one of the first games I played after setting up my retropi.  I was reading up on the history of the Metal Slug series and the developers/artists involved.   There's also GunForce and GunForce II to experience by many of the same people.   Well worth checking them all out.

Thanks for that heads up, as it's amazing that I've been gaming since the late 70's, early 80's, and I still find stuff I had no idea clue about, as I don't think I'm familiar with those 2 titles. They look right up my alley, so for sure be checking them out ASAP!

And for those who appreciate the killer 2D animated visuals of the titles mentioned so far, don't sleep on "Undercover Cops", which was made at Irem around the same time, and shares the same style as the others. I believe UC just got an official US release or something along those lines, so if interested, give the new release a look, as it's one of the better beat em ups out there(especially with the killer 2D animations).

#3407 Nealocus123   That's Vagtastic! CAGiversary!   1342 Posts   Joined 15.6 Years Ago  

Nealocus123

Posted 27 April 2021 - 02:07 AM

Thanks for that heads up, as it's amazing that I've been gaming since the late 70's, early 80's, and I still find stuff I had no idea clue about, as I don't think I'm familiar with those 2 titles. They look right up my alley, so for sure be checking them out ASAP!

And for those who appreciate the killer 2D animated visuals of the titles mentioned so far, don't sleep on "Undercover Cops", which was made at Irem around the same time, and shares the same style as the others. I believe UC just got an official US release or something along those lines, so if interested, give the new release a look, as it's one of the better beat em ups out there(especially with the killer 2D animations).

Writing these down to try out. Thank you for the recommendations!

#3408 VegasKeith  

VegasKeith

Posted 27 April 2021 - 03:49 AM

Has anyone upgraded to coinopsx v5?

And In The Hunt is a timeless gem.

#3409 dschroll  

Posted 27 April 2021 - 06:49 PM

I upgraded to V5.  And I third the In the Hunt recommendation.  Great game.  Feels very Neo Geo to me.

In the Hunt was also on the Saturn in addition to the PS1.

#3410 ArugulaZ   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   1890 Posts   Joined 16.7 Years Ago  

Posted 27 April 2021 - 08:41 PM

Yeah, I'm using CoinOpsX 5 right now. I had to trim off the laserdisc games to make it fit on a 64GB flash drive, but really, who cares about those?

What's odd is that X5 still has gaps in its library. Nothing devastating, but I do remember Rockola's Eyes from when I was a kid, and it's just not there. Bummer!

#3411 VegasKeith  

VegasKeith

Posted 27 April 2021 - 10:59 PM

I was debating if V5 is different enough from V4.5 to go through the trouble. Thoughts? Also, have you ever taken the step of adding console games?

#3412 cdeener   Love Those Price Drops!!! CAGiversary!   5064 Posts   Joined 16.5 Years Ago  

Posted 27 April 2021 - 11:26 PM

Hoping this V5 I found works once it finally downloads its taking a long while.

#3413 psunami   0118999881999119725.....3 CAGiversary!   3840 Posts   Joined 17.5 Years Ago  

Posted 28 April 2021 - 12:35 AM

I was debating if V5 is different enough from V4.5 to go through the trouble. Thoughts? Also, have you ever taken the step of adding console games?

I have added console games using the Sauce builds and they work just fine.  

Hoping this V5 I found works once it finally downloads its taking a long while.

I had great luck with the the torrent off of archive dot org.  Was able to grab it in a few hours.  

#3414 Captain Wrong   ... CAGiversary!   668 Posts   Joined 16.0 Years Ago  

Captain Wrong

Posted 28 April 2021 - 12:53 AM

Just a heads up, there is a subreddit (r/FansOfsaUCE) that is devoted to the CoinOpsX builds and many of the people who have worked on these are active over there.

#3415 dschroll  

Posted 28 April 2021 - 02:17 AM

The biggest pain in the butt for me was downloading V5 from archive dot org.  I tried the torrent but was not having any luck, so I did the download and it literally took a full day.  Once i got it though, the rest was easy.  

Overall, it depends on if the added games are worth it for you to upgrade.  They also added some new cabinet art which is kinda cool.  The intro video I can do without, so I will likely delete that.  They also added light gun games, and more lists for 3 player and 4 player games and the Daphne games.  

I mostly wanted to try Dragon's Lair but I found it to be impossible without some kind of directional guide to assist like they have on other versions.  Sadly this build doesn't have that.  

So for me, the upgrade wasn't really worth it.  But I'm still glad I did it because I now know how to do this build for future upgrades.  Prior to this I bought a USB drive off Etsy.  So glad to have used this as an opportunity to gain some know how.  

On that note, I welcome any suggestions on good torrent programs.  The one I was using, Transmission, didn't seem to be working with this and would stop downloading about 10 seconds after I started it.  

#3416 soonerdoc   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   872 Posts   Joined 17.5 Years Ago  

Posted 28 April 2021 - 03:48 AM

The biggest pain in the butt for me was downloading V5 from archive dot org.  I tried the torrent but was not having any luck, so I did the download and it literally took a full day.  Once i got it though, the rest was easy.  

Overall, it depends on if the added games are worth it for you to upgrade.  They also added some new cabinet art which is kinda cool.  The intro video I can do without, so I will likely delete that.  They also added light gun games, and more lists for 3 player and 4 player games and the Daphne games.  

I mostly wanted to try Dragon's Lair but I found it to be impossible without some kind of directional guide to assist like they have on other versions.  Sadly this build doesn't have that.  

So for me, the upgrade wasn't really worth it.  But I'm still glad I did it because I now know how to do this build for future upgrades.  Prior to this I bought a USB drive off Etsy.  So glad to have used this as an opportunity to gain some know how.  

On that note, I welcome any suggestions on good torrent programs.  The one I was using, Transmission, didn't seem to be working with this and would stop downloading about 10 seconds after I started it.  

qbittorrent my friend

#3417 cdeener   Love Those Price Drops!!! CAGiversary!   5064 Posts   Joined 16.5 Years Ago  

Posted 28 April 2021 - 09:50 AM

Yeah this is my first time dealing with the sauce so I’ve heard a lot of folks say go the archive route so that’s what i did. I just checked it’s at 40 GB out of 61 GB I started at around 2:30 yesterday afternoon.

#3418 nightc1   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   3637 Posts   Joined 16.0 Years Ago  

Posted 28 April 2021 - 02:10 PM

qbittorrent my friend

I second this recommendation.

#3419 psunami   0118999881999119725.....3 CAGiversary!   3840 Posts   Joined 17.5 Years Ago  

Posted 28 April 2021 - 02:54 PM

I second this recommendation.

None opposed.... and the motion passes.  

#3420 FloriDUH JBot   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   963 Posts   Joined 9.3 Years Ago  

FloriDUH JBot

Posted 28 April 2021 - 04:51 PM

The biggest pain in the butt for me was downloading V5 from archive dot org. I tried the torrent but was not having any luck, so I did the download and it literally took a full day. Once i got it though, the rest was easy.

Overall, it depends on if the added games are worth it for you to upgrade. They also added some new cabinet art which is kinda cool. The intro video I can do without, so I will likely delete that. They also added light gun games, and more lists for 3 player and 4 player games and the Daphne games.
I mostly wanted to try Dragon's Lair but I found it to be impossible without some kind of directional guide to assist like they have on other versions. Sadly this build doesn't have that.

So for me, the upgrade wasn't really worth it. But I'm still glad I did it because I now know how to do this build for future upgrades. Prior to this I bought a USB drive off Etsy. So glad to have used this as an opportunity to gain some know how.
On that note, I welcome any suggestions on good torrent programs. The one I was using, Transmission, didn't seem to be working with this and would stop downloading about 10 seconds after I started it.

Deluge is my torrent client of choice

Sent from my SM-P580 using Tapatalk