* * * * - 6 votes

The Home Arcade Tremendous Deals and Discussion Thread

#3421 doctorwolf   CAG Newbie CAGiversary!   259 Posts   Joined 8.1 Years Ago  

doctorwolf

Posted 28 April 2021 - 07:33 PM

Say you have COX V5 on your usb and want to add some other uce pack (console games or whatever). So you just drop this folder alongside tbe other ones already on the root and run AddonX tool again? And if that's the case, will it re-build everything on the root (i.e., the COX V5 games) or will it detect and skip everything it's already built?

#3422 psunami   0118999881999119725.....3 CAGiversary!   3796 Posts   Joined 17.4 Years Ago  

Posted 28 April 2021 - 08:00 PM

Say you have COX V5 on your usb and want to add some other uce pack (console games or whatever). So you just drop this folder alongside tbe other ones already on the root and run AddonX tool again? And if that's the case, will it re-build everything on the root (i.e., the COX V5 games) or will it detect and skip everything it's already built?

When I did it on V4.5, it just detected the new games and added them to the build.  I built all of my console games along with the arcade ones when I put this one together, but as long as you follow the readme instructions, it should work fine.  

#3423 cdeener   Love Those Price Drops!!! CAGiversary!   5063 Posts   Joined 16.4 Years Ago  

Posted 30 April 2021 - 09:07 AM

Well I finally got around to playing with the build I downloaded it’s amazing how many games from my childhood are on there. I just got to figure out how to configure some games to be able to get past the selection screen like High Impact Football & Super High Impact Football.

#3424 toneroni   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   642 Posts   Joined 15.8 Years Ago  

Posted 01 May 2021 - 06:03 AM

So I’m pretty sure I want to get either the Legends Arcade or the X-men vs SF Arcade 1 up which has been on sale. Which one do you guys recommend? I don’t really like the art on the Arcade Legends pro but figure I can change it one day. Is it worth it to get the one with the pinball buttons?

Was really planning on getting a Vewlix clone but don’t really have the space and don’t wanna drop that much coin yet on it.
Thanks!

#3425 kevers7290   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   380 Posts   Joined 9.1 Years Ago  

kevers7290

Posted 01 May 2021 - 11:14 AM

So I’m pretty sure I want to get either the Legends Arcade or the X-men vs SF Arcade 1 up which has been on sale. Which one do you guys recommend? I don’t really like the art on the Arcade Legends pro but figure I can change it one day. Is it worth it to get the one with the pinball buttons?

Was really planning on getting a Vewlix clone but don’t really have the space and don’t wanna drop that much coin yet on it.
Thanks!

I would strongly suggest the Legends Ultimate. A1Up cabs are nice, but you are limited to the games built in (in your case four games). If that doesn't bother you than get the 1up but if you use AddOnX/CoX on the Legends cab you have access to basically a limitless library of games (at least only limited by the hardware). This, plus the ability to toggle scanlines is what made me opt for the Legends. I have no regrets, I love this thing.

#3426 dschroll  

Posted 01 May 2021 - 12:35 PM

I’m torn myself. I have the Legends Gamer Pro and am
Enjoying it and I have it running CoknOpsX. I’m super tempted to get the Legends Ultimate cabinet but I don’t love the 5 countdown that’s on the CoinOpsX feature. It’s fine for now but I worry about that in the long run. Plus I’d still like an arcade cabinet capable of playing more advanced games like Soul Caliber.

I’ve also got my eye on iiRcade but it’s a bit more expensive and while I don’t mind the a la carte feature of buying officially licensed games, their game selection is also extremely limited and that’s another case where I don’t want to spend that much money buying a cabinet and it never gets the arcade type games I want. And there’s no way (so far) to mod it and add your own roms.

If only I could combine the more powerful and nicer quality iiRcade with the flexibility and versatility of the ALU.

Maybe I’m better off just building my own cabinet but it just ends up being a ton more work...

#3427 kevers7290   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   380 Posts   Joined 9.1 Years Ago  

kevers7290

Posted 01 May 2021 - 01:00 PM

Enjoying it and I have it running CoknOpsX. I’m super tempted to get the Legends Ultimate cabinet but I don’t love the 5 countdown that’s on the CoinOpsX feature. It’s fine for now but I worry about that in the long run. Plus I’d still like an arcade cabinet capable of playing more advanced games like Soul Caliber.

I’ve also got my eye on iiRcade but it’s a bit more expensive and while I don’t mind the a la carte feature of buying officially licensed games, their game selection is also extremely limited and that’s another case where I don’t want to spend that much money buying a cabinet and it never gets the arcade type games I want. And there’s no way (so far) to mod it and add your own roms.

If only I could combine the more powerful and nicer quality iiRcade with the flexibility and versatility of the ALU.

Maybe I’m better off just building my own cabinet but it just ends up being a ton more work...

If you want to play Soul Calibur (or any other polygon/3D arcade games) then the ALU is not for you. You're either going to have to wait for A1Up to make a Soul Cali cab, or otherwise build your own. I would suggest Pandora's box or a PC/Raspberry Pi if you want advanced arcade games. There are no plug & play cabinets that are going to do what you're asking.

EDIT: I wouldn't worry about the login check, it only applies to CoinOPsX. Worst case scenario, you can still play your games library via USB through AddOnX which does not require a WiFi/login check. And by then, I'm sure the community will have found a workaround for the login lockout if the servers go down years from now.

#3428 cdeener   Love Those Price Drops!!! CAGiversary!   5063 Posts   Joined 16.4 Years Ago  

Posted 01 May 2021 - 01:51 PM

If you want to play Soul Calibur (or any other polygon/3D arcade games) then the ALU is not for you. You're either going to have to wait for A1Up to make a Soul Cali cab, or otherwise build your own. I would suggest Pandora's box or a PC/Raspberry Pi if you want advanced arcade games. There are no plug & play cabinets that are going to do what you're asking.

EDIT: I wouldn't worry about the login check, it only applies to CoinOPsX. Worst case scenario, you can still play your games library via USB through AddOnX which does not require a WiFi/login check. And by then, I'm sure the community will have found a workaround for the login lockout if the servers go down years from now.

That’s how I play my games from my CoinOps files on the Gamer Mini is just run them through AddOn instead of CoinOpsX just sucks that u don’t have the scroll menu but the games run so I don’t mind.

#3429 dschroll  

Posted 01 May 2021 - 02:18 PM

I thought I saw the number icon next to the AddOnX icon. Is it just there for show but is not in effect? Or am I confusing that with something else?

#3430 purbeast   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   1089 Posts   Joined 12.9 Years Ago  

Posted 01 May 2021 - 03:01 PM

You can find real arcade cabinets in decent shape for like $150 - $200 or so if you aren't in a rush and have some patience.  And then you can just put a PC in there with a JPAC or something that interfaces with JAMMA and you can have a legit mame cabinet.

#3431 dschroll  

Posted 01 May 2021 - 04:05 PM

You can find real arcade cabinets in decent shape for like $150 - $200 or so if you aren't in a rush and have some patience. And then you can just put a PC in there with a JPAC or something that interfaces with JAMMA and you can have a legit mame cabinet.

I live on the east coast. I never see inexpensive arcade cabinets. $500+ easily starting.

I love the idea of a mame cabinet but for something decent we’re likely looking at $1k+ as I don’t have a pc or anything so would have to start from scratch.

#3432 purbeast   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   1089 Posts   Joined 12.9 Years Ago  

Posted 01 May 2021 - 04:23 PM

I live on the east coast. I never see inexpensive arcade cabinets. $500+ easily starting.

I love the idea of a mame cabinet but for something decent we’re likely looking at $1k+ as I don’t have a pc or anything so would have to start from scratch.

I live on the east coast too and see them all the time on facebook groups and other places.  Where are you located?

For MAME cabinet you could go with something as simple as a $30 pie3.  That's what I use in mine and it works fine for the most part.

#3433 avatar94   CAG Addict CAGiversary!   661 Posts   Joined 15.6 Years Ago  

Posted 01 May 2021 - 04:31 PM

I thought I saw the number icon next to the AddOnX icon. Is it just there for show but is not in effect? Or am I confusing that with something else?

AddOnX requires logins. Regular AddOn does not.

#3434 dschroll  

Posted 01 May 2021 - 05:49 PM

I live on the east coast too and see them all the time on facebook groups and other places. Where are you located?

For MAME cabinet you could go with something as simple as a $30 pie3. That's what I use in mine and it works fine for the most part.

I live in the Hartford area. I don’t have a FB account so that may be why my visibility is more limited but I generally look on Craigslist and OfferUp and everyone generally wants a lot of money for arcade stuff. I considered getting one of those cabinet kits and you assemble but even those are $300-$400 just for the cabinet.

I’m open to doing a full on mame cabinet and over time making it everything I want it to be. It’s just a bit more work and more money. I’m just feeling a bit of FOMO with ALU since it’s the least expensive and quickest path to getting an arcade cabinet with most of the games I enjoy playing.

#3435 dschroll  

Posted 01 May 2021 - 05:51 PM

Ahh. Understood. Thank you for the clarification. Will check that out when I get back home. Getting second dose of vaccine today.

#3436 toneroni   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   642 Posts   Joined 15.8 Years Ago  

Posted 01 May 2021 - 07:34 PM

I live in the Hartford area. I don’t have a FB account so that may be why my visibility is more limited but I generally look on Craigslist and OfferUp and everyone generally wants a lot of money for arcade stuff. I considered getting one of those cabinet kits and you assemble but even those are $300-$400 just for the cabinet.

I’m open to doing a full on mame cabinet and over time making it everything I want it to be. It’s just a bit more work and more money. I’m just feeling a bit of FOMO with ALU since it’s the least expensive and quickest path to getting an arcade cabinet with most of the games I enjoy playing.

Yep I’m in NYC and even those beat up ones are pricey

#3437 purbeast   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   1089 Posts   Joined 12.9 Years Ago  

Posted 01 May 2021 - 08:10 PM

Yeah I literally only use Facebook for arcade related stuff. They have very active help/repair groups on there too.  

I also live in MD and there is a shop about 45 mins from me that sells tons of arcade games and following them on FB is how I ended up with one of my cabs.  He has a warehouse full of cabs ready to be taken for cheap though in a lot of various conditions.  I went there just to browse it one day and was like damn this is a lot.  Most are like REALLY beaten up though as for the ones sitting in the warehouse, but he posts stuff frequently as he's always buying/selling stuff.  

The Maximum Force cab I got he wanted $375 for with one gun that wouldn't even fire and one that would fire but wouldn't track. I asked him if he'd take $300 and he said sure and I got it for $300.  Then I brought it home, opened up the one gun that wasn't even firing, and it was super obvious why it wasn't working - the cable wasn't connected.  Then I opened up the other gun that shot but didn't track, and it was also obvious why it wasn't working - one of the legs of the optical sensor had been desoldered.  So I soldered it and had a fully working Maximum Force cabinet for $300.  But I also like to tinker so there is that.

But aside from him, there are a lot of groups on FB worth joining if you are serious about getting a cab.  Even just making a post telling people what you are looking for usually gets a lot of responses.  

Searching on CL and OfferUp is pointless IMO.  Even on FB Marketplace.  They are just full of crap and A1up cabs.  I'd say the FB groups would definitely be the way to go.  There are regional ones too.  

#3438 KrAzY3   The 3 is silent. CAGiversary!   684 Posts   Joined 16.3 Years Ago  

Posted 01 May 2021 - 11:48 PM

I just got a used Legends Ultimate arcade machine for $260. I'm not sure about lag and all that, but the build quality seems pretty darn good. I don't see how I could make something like this for that price.

#3439 Nealocus123   That's Vagtastic! CAGiversary!   1342 Posts   Joined 15.5 Years Ago  

Nealocus123

Posted 02 May 2021 - 12:47 AM

I just got a used Legends Ultimate arcade machine for $260. I'm not sure about lag and all that, but the build quality seems pretty darn good. I don't see how I could make something like this for that price.

Yea I was surprised too. I do want to get a few sandbags or weight to put in the bottom because it's pretty light and moves easily on my hardwood floor.

#3440 Saphoon   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   2066 Posts   Joined 17.3 Years Ago  

Posted 02 May 2021 - 08:42 PM

Searching on CL and OfferUp is pointless IMO.  Even on FB Marketplace.  They are just full of crap and A1up cabs.  I'd say the FB groups would definitely be the way to go.  There are regional ones too.  

Definitely want regional, unless you're willing to make an interstate hike. I've heard having it shipped runs in the $300 or more range.

#3441 purbeast   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   1089 Posts   Joined 12.9 Years Ago  

Posted 03 May 2021 - 12:27 AM

Definitely want regional, unless you're willing to make an interstate hike. I've heard having it shipped runs in the $300 or more range.

Yeah just search for arcade groups in general and you can find a bunch.  

There are also people who make runs constantly across the country and will grab cabinets and stuff for people, obviously for a fee on their way.  But it's cheaper than those shipping charges you are talking about.

#3442 husher   Yet what is any ocean but a multitude of drops? CAGiversary!   2719 Posts   Joined 14.0 Years Ago  

Posted 03 May 2021 - 02:57 AM

Walmart has started another round of A1U clearance.  I've seen, NBA Jam, Turtles, and 40th Pac-Man clearanced at multiple stores.  The prices are all over the place though...really weird pricing.  I'm also seeing the risers and random stools being clearanced at several stores as well.  Check the ap and brickseek, if it's working, to see what's going on around you.

#3443 jdawgg76   RIP Stan the Man CAGiversary!   5057 Posts   Joined 14.3 Years Ago  

Posted 03 May 2021 - 06:44 PM

NE Tennessee here. Some TMNT and Pac-Man clearances here, too. Some stores have the TMNT stools between 30 and 40. Several have odd prices like 32.33 or 34.16. Pac-Man stools are around 60 at best like 60.16. Haven't seen price drops on Pac-Man cabinets. Only one store has TMNT cabinets and they have four ar $320.

#3444 cagman2013   CAG in Training CAGiversary!   127 Posts   Joined 8.3 Years Ago  

cagman2013

Posted 04 May 2021 - 12:13 AM

Walmart has started another round of A1U clearance.  I've seen, NBA Jam, Turtles, and 40th Pac-Man clearanced at multiple stores.  The prices are all over the place though...really weird pricing.  I'm also seeing the risers and random stools being clearanced at several stores as well.  Check the ap and brickseek, if it's working, to see what's going on around you.

i seen Xmen vs street fighter for $350. TMNT was gone.

#3445 dschroll  

Posted 04 May 2021 - 02:48 AM

So, I see on my Gamer Pro where it says AddOn but it says it doesn't see anything when I click on it.

I currently have the V5 CoinOpsX files in my USB drive.  What do I need to do so that AddOn can see the roms?

Thanks!

#3446 soonerdoc   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   867 Posts   Joined 17.4 Years Ago  

Posted 04 May 2021 - 03:32 AM

So, I see on my Gamer Pro where it says AddOn but it says it doesn't see anything when I click on it.

I currently have the V5 CoinOpsX files in my USB drive.  What do I need to do so that AddOn can see the roms?

Thanks!

If you did coinopsx correctly you can find games in coinopsx app or addonx. 

#3447 Nealocus123   That's Vagtastic! CAGiversary!   1342 Posts   Joined 15.5 Years Ago  

Nealocus123

Posted 04 May 2021 - 04:07 AM

Thanks!

You have to make sure to mount it from the settings menu first. Then you go to that addon section.

#3448 Mattiful-Joe   Henshin A Go-Go Baby! CAGiversary!   3277 Posts   Joined 17.6 Years Ago  

Mattiful-Joe

Posted 04 May 2021 - 12:36 PM

Every time I come close to pondering about the TMNT cabinet, I just keep questioning whether there is much more to owning it other than the nostalgia of it, which frankly, will wear off after one or two playthroughs.  And as the game itself is super short (obviously, as it's an arcade title), I've always ended on the side that the short/cheap thrill just isn't worth it. 

Add to this the fact that we're now getting a legit console release of a new TMNT game, and now I'm even less inclined to buy the cabinet.

Oh well ... may be I'll change my mind if I ever see one for clearance :)

#3449 avatar94   CAG Addict CAGiversary!   661 Posts   Joined 15.6 Years Ago  

Posted 04 May 2021 - 12:39 PM

Thanks!

I haven't used original AddOn since last year sometime after I first got my cab so there may be some details I'm not remembering, but if you've already set up your drive for CoinOpsX/AddOnX then it won't work for AddOn anymore. You just need the UCE files on the drive for AddOn to work. Don't do partitions and don't run the AddOnX tool. It'll be slower to load, and there's a limit to the number of games it can read on the drive before it chokes so you'll only want to load on the games you really want. But if you absolutely can't keep an active internet connection going to the system for whatever reason then it's the only option.

#3450 dnl2ba   Inadvertent collector CAGiversary!   511 Posts   Joined 7.0 Years Ago  

Posted 08 May 2021 - 05:49 PM

Does Legends Pinball require logging in to AtGames? What about once you’ve bought and downloaded new tables— do you need to remain logged in, or occasionally log in, to use the DLC?

Sorry if this has been covered, but I couldn’t find it easily. I’m hung up on whether I can keep playing in 5, 10, or 20 years, after servers have long been shut down, so I’m running 4.20 on my ALU 1.0 to run the OneSauce.