* * * * - 6 votes

The Home Arcade Tremendous Deals and Discussion Thread

#3511 kwick7   CAG Lurking Veteran CAGiversary!   901 Posts   Joined 16.3 Years Ago  

Posted 16 June 2021 - 10:41 PM

I absolutely positively completely and 100% don't need another legends gamer mini. And yet, the modability led to another impulse buy.

I’d rather have the mini than the gamer pro. Prefer the smaller footprint. Gotta have that trackball tho (although I don’t need it since my 2 other cabs have trackballs)

#3512 ArugulaZ   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   1893 Posts   Joined 16.8 Years Ago  

Posted 17 June 2021 - 12:06 AM

Is there a difference in the number and selection of games? Because I thought the smaller one had fewer. (Still kind of mad that Tron wasn't on the big one. What the hell, man? You gave me Wreck-It Ralph and Contempt in Digital Form The Lion King but not Tron or Discs of Tron? Bah!)

Also, I need to fix the trackball in mine. Installing the shims had... unexpected consequences.

#3513 avatar94   CAG Addict CAGiversary!   672 Posts   Joined 15.8 Years Ago  

Posted 17 June 2021 - 10:22 AM

Is there a difference in the number and selection of games? Because I thought the smaller one had fewer. (Still kind of mad that Tron wasn't on the big one. What the hell, man? You gave me Wreck-It Ralph and Contempt in Digital Form The Lion King but not Tron or Discs of Tron? Bah!)

Also, I need to fix the trackball in mine. Installing the shims had... unexpected consequences.

Tron uses spinners so it's only on the full ALU arcade, which has spinners
What were the problems with the shims? I have a set but haven't installed them yet

#3514 ArugulaZ   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   1893 Posts   Joined 16.8 Years Ago  

Posted 17 June 2021 - 12:29 PM

My trackball worked properly before I installed them. It doesn't after I did. It may not be the shims specifically, but just opening up the control panel and screwing with it was probably ill-advised. One of the rollers doesn't seem to work right now, and I'm not sure why.

#3515 purbeast   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   1117 Posts   Joined 13.1 Years Ago  

Posted 17 June 2021 - 03:23 PM

It's probably nothing more than a loose connection.  Worse case is that a wire ripped in half which you can just solder back together if that is the case.  It should be pretty easy to track down the issue and fix it.

Generally speaking, there really isn't much to these arcade cabinets as far as things working or not.  Like if a direction or button doesn't work, 9/10 times it's the switch went bad, the connection is lose, or something along those lines.  It's not nearly as common for the actual PCB's to go bad on these things, especially newer PCBs like in these new cabinets.  It's not like there are 25+ year old capacitors on them that have gone bad or anything.

#3516 nightc1   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   3765 Posts   Joined 16.1 Years Ago  

Posted 17 June 2021 - 04:50 PM

My guess would be one of the shims is rubbing up against one of the rollers.  Maybe it wasn't installed properly.   Either way, no harm in just taking it back apart and seeing if you can see what is binding against the roller or if anything just looks awry.   Just take your time.

#3517 purbeast   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   1117 Posts   Joined 13.1 Years Ago  

Posted 17 June 2021 - 05:45 PM

Ah yeah.  Like it could just be stuck and not moving at all because of that.  Makes sense.

#3518 ArugulaZ   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   1893 Posts   Joined 16.8 Years Ago  

Posted 17 June 2021 - 05:46 PM

Not right now! It's hot enough to melt the enamel off your teeth!
It's possible the shims were installed wrong, but one thing I noticed is that when I moved the Y axis roller to the X axis and vice versa, I have issues with left/right instead of up/down. So I suspect that roller has issues... maybe it needs to be regreased or replaced.
EDIT: It's not that the roller doesn't work AT ALL; it just rolls roughly and the onscreen character responds accordingly.

#3519 nightc1   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   3765 Posts   Joined 16.1 Years Ago  

Posted 17 June 2021 - 07:20 PM

EDIT: It's not that the roller doesn't work AT ALL; it just rolls roughly and the onscreen character responds accordingly.

It sounds like the roller is either binding against something (which it would still work but just not smoothly).   When it cools off in your game room and you feel up to the adventure, it would be worth it to take it back apart and just pay super close attention.  It's already broke so worst case is it's still broke.   When you do have it apart, go back over the install instructions and look closely at each shim.  It's possible one is installed wrong or one of the shims may have a burr left on it from when it was 3d printed and it may need shaved off.

But that's my guess... I'm not there to look at it... just going by text on a screen.  But it worked before the shims were installed, so it should be able to be fixed pretty easily by either removing the shims or going back over the install and looking closely at the roller that isn't moving freely.

#3520 Jurai  

Posted 01 July 2021 - 11:09 PM

The prices are getting really bad yikes

#3521 BrandonJF   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   740 Posts   Joined 12.9 Years Ago  

BrandonJF

Posted 02 July 2021 - 12:12 AM

Good luck to A1Up on that $650 price point for Turtles in Time.  I know there's a stool in the mix, but geeze....  

#3522 chubbyninja1319   Where's my stuff!? CAGiversary!   5477 Posts   Joined 17.1 Years Ago  

chubbyninja1319

Posted 02 July 2021 - 02:11 AM

Yeah, I was ready to jump at Turtles (damn past me who skipped on the original Turtles cab for $250 new), but $650 is just too much for these.  Simpsons will likely test my will, but anything over $500 is a HARD sell.

#3523 dschroll  

Posted 02 July 2021 - 08:45 AM

Once you start getting to $500 or higher, I'd rather go with something like an ALU or an iiRcade so I can easily add more games to it.  

#3524 avatar94   CAG Addict CAGiversary!   672 Posts   Joined 15.8 Years Ago  

Posted 02 July 2021 - 10:38 AM

Extra price bump on those is also because of the new WiFi added. Not a feature I'd care about enough to pay a premium for though. I can appreciate all the extra features they've been offering in the recent models - lit marquee, matching riser, matching stool, 4 player setup, online play - but I hope they keep producing some value-priced units with extra games added but without all the other hardware upgrades. Class of '81 at $399 or less could be a hot seller.

#3525 n64ra   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   2952 Posts   Joined 13.9 Years Ago  

Posted 02 July 2021 - 03:17 PM

How are they trying to justify TMNT at $650? NBA Jam, which also came with a riser and stool, had a a ton more costs to license the players and came out at $500.

#3526 nightc1   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   3765 Posts   Joined 16.1 Years Ago  

Posted 02 July 2021 - 05:57 PM

How are they trying to justify TMNT at $650? NBA Jam, which also came with a riser and stool, had a a ton more costs to license the players and came out at $500.

It could be a combo of component shortages and the price of building material.

#3527 defpally   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   2296 Posts   Joined 11.3 Years Ago  

defpally

Posted 02 July 2021 - 06:32 PM

It could be a combo of component shortages and the price of building material.

Possibly, or maybe the franchise is just more expensive to license now and the first cab (with the same games) was really popular.  Maybe they are now factoring in the price drops with a higher initial price.  I'm not a fan of the Turtles 2 cab personally, the weird CGI-ish turtles look bad, and the first was a lot better (even with Konami's 80's arcade ad campaigns were clearly designed by a horny teenager).

I built my own cab a while back and love it, but browsing the Arcade1up site if they ever actually release that Space Ace cabinet I will be heavily tempted.  Love that design and it was one of my favorites.  It has a note on the page that says "Want to see this happen? Use the Notify Me button to let us know!", so I guess it is just a potential product.

#3528 n64ra   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   2952 Posts   Joined 13.9 Years Ago  

Posted 02 July 2021 - 10:54 PM

Whatever the reason, $650 just means a bigger percent savings when it hits $150.

#3529 kingwormer   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   416 Posts   Joined 14.1 Years Ago  

kingwormer

Posted 04 July 2021 - 10:33 PM

I’m about to order the Legends Core. Can someone please point me in the direction to learn how to add TmNT and such to it?  Thank you so much. 

#3530 kwick7   CAG Lurking Veteran CAGiversary!   901 Posts   Joined 16.3 Years Ago  

Posted 04 July 2021 - 10:49 PM

I’m about to order the Legends Core. Can someone please point me in the direction to learn how to add TmNT and such to it? Thank you so much.

Google CoinopsX. It’s on archive.org. YouTube it. Extremely easy.

Is it on sale somewhere?

#3531 valo2027   H.I.M. CAGiversary!   198 Posts   Joined 12.3 Years Ago  

Posted 05 July 2021 - 04:37 AM

I’m about to order the Legends Core. Can someone please point me in the direction to learn how to add TmNT and such to it? Thank you so much.

https://youtu.be/T1HMqdc0VR0

#3532 kingwormer   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   416 Posts   Joined 14.1 Years Ago  

kingwormer

Posted 05 July 2021 - 05:18 PM

Google CoinopsX. It’s on archive.org. YouTube it. Extremely easy.

Is it on sale somewhere?

Thank you both so much

#3533 E-Z-B   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   3425 Posts   Joined 17.8 Years Ago  

Posted 14 July 2021 - 08:13 PM

Got an email from Arcade1up that preorders for X-men start tomorrow. Wondering what the price will be…

#3534 BrandonJF   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   740 Posts   Joined 12.9 Years Ago  

BrandonJF

Posted 15 July 2021 - 03:48 PM

Got an email from Arcade1up that preorders for X-men start tomorrow. Wondering what the price will be…

Only $600!  It's at Target, though, so there's always that 5% Redcard discount.

#3535 HaloGX   DCGX CAGiversary!   1194 Posts   Joined 16.0 Years Ago  

Posted 15 July 2021 - 04:15 PM

Only $600!  It's at Target, though, so there's always that 5% Redcard discount.

"See low price in cart"

Holy fudge no thanks! I can imagine the pieces of the pie going on here between Marvel and Konami, but geez.

#3536 BrandonJF   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   740 Posts   Joined 12.9 Years Ago  

BrandonJF

Posted 15 July 2021 - 06:42 PM

"See low price in cart"

Holy fudge no thanks! I can imagine the pieces of the pie going on here between Marvel and Konami, but geez.

It is surprising.  I know the excuse will be cost of materials/freight has gone up, but I wonder how much they'll be able to get away with.

And I do like A1UP cabs as nostalgic game room decoration pieces.  I have a bunch.  But, they weren't even on my radar until this thread alerted me to clearance cabs.  I picked up the first gen cabs for pretty cheap and figured that would be the end - this thing obviously didn't work given how Wal-Mart was having to give them away.

Nope!  Still going strong somehow and now selling cabs for $600.  

That being said.... where is The Simpsons so I can pre-order!??????  :)   There were some sites claiming it was going up today, too, but I'm not surprised it hasn't since I have yet to see an "official" announcement.

#3537 HaloGX   DCGX CAGiversary!   1194 Posts   Joined 16.0 Years Ago  

Posted 15 July 2021 - 07:11 PM

I have the limited Marvel Super Heroes cab and that's it. I made a hard consideration for the 'Marvel vs. Capcom' cab at Best Buy, but I just can't do it. I have pretty much all of these games somewhere else, and the systems they're on I have good arcade sticks for already. I know not everyone has access to the 'X-Men' arcade game, but I still have it on my 360. So $600 is a no way from me.

Side-note on 'The Simpsons:' I recently played it on an original cabinet and, while still fun, is super cheap towards the end. I don't have nostalgia for it or The Simpsons though.

#3538 BrandonJF   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   740 Posts   Joined 12.9 Years Ago  

BrandonJF

Posted 16 July 2021 - 12:05 PM

I saw the X-Men cab is currently sold out at Target.

#3539 Nephilim_BC  

Nephilim_BC

Posted 16 July 2021 - 12:47 PM

I have the limited Marvel Super Heroes cab and that's it. I made a hard consideration for the 'Marvel vs. Capcom' cab at Best Buy, but I just can't do it. I have pretty much all of these games somewhere else, and the systems they're on I have good arcade sticks for already. I know not everyone has access to the 'X-Men' arcade game, but I still have it on my 360. So $600 is a no way from me.

Side-note on 'The Simpsons:' I recently played it on an original cabinet and, while still fun, is super cheap towards the end. I don't have nostalgia for it or The Simpsons though.

same with still having xmen(on ps3) but I wish i had got the Simpsons. Forgot to buy it before it got delisted.

#3540 purbeast   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   1117 Posts   Joined 13.1 Years Ago  

Posted 16 July 2021 - 01:44 PM

I played through this on my MAME cabinet recently and yeah, it gets super cheap at the end.  The final boss is ridiculous lol.

The game also is not nearly as good as it was back in the day.  But, nostalgia and all...