* * * * - 6 votes

The Home Arcade Tremendous Deals and Discussion Thread

#2341 NothingCreative   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   60 Posts   Joined 15.8 Years Ago  

NothingCreative

Posted 11 August 2020 - 04:25 AM

They might have imported a machine, but dnl2ba is correct, there was no US arcade release

Nah dude. I used to skip school to go to the Tilt arcade in the mall. My vice was MvC2 and Tekken Tag Tournament. These were absolutely in US arcades.

#2342 chrislaustin   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   7721 Posts   Joined 15.6 Years Ago  

chrislaustin

Posted 11 August 2020 - 10:09 AM

Nah dude. I used to skip school to go to the Tilt arcade in the mall. My vice was MvC2 and Tekken Tag Tournament. These were absolutely in US arcades.

Just because something was in a US arcade, does not mean it originated in the US. I can't speak to this situation specifically, as I didn't follow this game much, but many arcades of that time imported machines. The US arcade scene was all but dead by this time, and the few games that really made good money, didn't see releases in the US, so many places imported. In some ways it could be cheaper, especially with those SEGA "Astro City" type machines(or NeoGeo), as you just swapped out the games, and it could be done rather cheaply.

#2343 Richard Kain   The Kaiser CAGiversary!   2948 Posts   Joined 14.0 Years Ago  

Richard Kain

Posted 11 August 2020 - 03:06 PM

as you just swapped out the games, and it could be done rather cheaply.

Not to mention that many arcade machines and software of the time were made to be region-free, which further facilitated importing. Even Neo-Geo MVS carts could be switched over to different regions or languages using dip-switch settings on the MVS board. Arcade manufacturers knew there was an import scene for their hardware.

#2344 teh lurv  

teh lurv

Posted 11 August 2020 - 09:23 PM

Speaking of Neo-Geo MVS, it looks like SNK is finally going to make what the Neo-Geo mini should've been:

http://snkmvsx.com/

figure-2_b.png?v1.1

#2345 slamoco   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   216 Posts   Joined 17.0 Years Ago  

Posted 11 August 2020 - 10:03 PM

Lol, $499.99 msrp....not really that bad, but I will keep my $30 Neo Geo mini.

#2346 kwick7   CAG Lurking Veteran CAGiversary!   901 Posts   Joined 16.3 Years Ago  

Posted 11 August 2020 - 11:30 PM

Speaking of Neo-Geo MVS, it looks like SNK is finally going to make what the Neo-Geo mini should've been:

figure-2_b.png?v1.1

I like it but I’m not feeling that games list. I friggin love the neo geo sorts games and I’m not seeing the best ones on that list.

#2347 purbeast   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   1117 Posts   Joined 13.1 Years Ago  

Posted 12 August 2020 - 12:01 AM

15.4" wide and they expect 2 people to be able to play comfortably?

lol.

Button layout is very odd considering it's for Neo Geo games.

#2348 Richard Kain   The Kaiser CAGiversary!   2948 Posts   Joined 14.0 Years Ago  

Richard Kain

Posted 12 August 2020 - 01:35 AM

Well, that's a bar-top arcade. $500 isn't unreasonable if the manufacturer is looking to turn a decent profit. But the basic design is also not appealing enough to warrant that kind of price for any but the most hard-core of collectors. And the more hobbyist-inclined could easily create a superior set-up for around the same price or less. I've been experimenting with my Raspberry Pi 4 recently, and it's amazing what kind of power you can squeeze out of that diminutive platform. Neo Geo emulation isn't even a challenge.

I probably wouldn't pony up for that Neo Geo cab. But if I saw it on clearance for a couple hundred less, yeah, I might consider it. It would probably make a decent base for modding, just not at that price point.

#2349 purbeast   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   1117 Posts   Joined 13.1 Years Ago  

Posted 12 August 2020 - 01:43 AM

Well, that's a bar-top arcade. $500 isn't unreasonable if the manufacturer is looking to turn a decent profit. But the basic design is also not appealing enough to warrant that kind of price for any but the most hard-core of collectors. And the more hobbyist-inclined could easily create a superior set-up for around the same price or less. I've been experimenting with my Raspberry Pi 4 recently, and it's amazing what kind of power you can squeeze out of that diminutive platform. Neo Geo emulation isn't even a challenge.

I probably wouldn't pony up for that Neo Geo cab. But if I saw it on clearance for a couple hundred less, yeah, I might consider it. It would probably make a decent base for modding, just not at that price point.

I have  Pi 3 in my KI2 cabinet and Neo Geo games run pretty much flawless on it.  I remember I played Metal Slug 2 and it had so much slowdown and I thought it was the pi3, but then after researching all that slowdown is in the actual arcade game and MSX is basically 2 with performance issues fixed.

#2350 chrislaustin   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   7721 Posts   Joined 15.6 Years Ago  

chrislaustin

Posted 12 August 2020 - 10:22 AM

Yeah, the only reason I can see for those six button layouts is they plan to allow for different roms to be added, or it's "open" to add a Pi or something. It also has a jog shuttle/rotary dial in the upper left corner of the controls, so is that for volume, or the ability to play Tempest or some other type games in the future? So this seems like it may be closer to the Legends cab, than anything 1Up has offered so far, which is a good thing, especially for the asking price. 

Honestly, all of these cabs fall short for me, and this one is no different, as the measurements of this are minuscule to say the least. Just based on the price, this seem a little high for whats offered, but I could say the same for all of this stuff. Buying on discount seems key, and depending on how this is offered, and how popular it may be, will dictate if and when any discounts arrive. For now, there is way to many unknowns, but for those into this type of cab, it may fill a need, but maybe not? 

When you offer something people didn't ask for, they need to see right away, why they can't live without it, and they have a ways to go for that to happen for this, but I wish them well!

#2351 pbfluff   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   950 Posts   Joined 13.0 Years Ago  

Posted 12 August 2020 - 12:08 PM

if you happen to be an owner of the legends ultimate, check your email for info about free 47 taito game upgrade (bubble bobble!) as well as a discount on an upcoming led marquee upgrade.

#2352 Retroxcellence   Billy "Big Bang" Blitz CAGiversary!   1852 Posts   Joined 7.0 Years Ago  

Retroxcellence

Posted 12 August 2020 - 12:34 PM

figure-2_b.png?v1.1

They better get the sticks right for what they are charging

#2353 defpally   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   2297 Posts   Joined 11.4 Years Ago  

defpally

Posted 12 August 2020 - 01:09 PM

They better get the sticks right for what they are charging

Especially since 30 of the 50 games are fighting games.

#2354 pbfluff   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   950 Posts   Joined 13.0 Years Ago  

Posted 12 August 2020 - 01:41 PM

the game selection for these neo geo branded arcades is way too fighting focused. i would have prefered the normal 4 button layout and more diverse gamelist...especially sports...where’s bstars 2, windjammers, neo turf masters, street hoop?

#2355 kwick7   CAG Lurking Veteran CAGiversary!   901 Posts   Joined 16.3 Years Ago  

Posted 12 August 2020 - 02:08 PM

the game selection for these neo geo branded arcades is way too fighting focused. i would have prefered the normal 4 button layout and more diverse gamelist...especially sports...where’s bstars 2, windjammers, neo turf masters, street hoop?

Exactly. I’ll never be interested without bstars2 and neo turf. 2 amazing sports games!

#2356 E-Z-B   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   3425 Posts   Joined 17.8 Years Ago  

Posted 12 August 2020 - 02:36 PM

So I got this email since I registered my product:

Free Gifts for Legends Ultimate Owners and Upgrade Options

As a valued original owner, we want to let you know first about our upcoming product schedule, which includes the resumption of the supply of the Legends Ultimate in a new iteration and new accessories. Both will be available for general pre-order on August 14th, with retail availability starting around August 31st. These dates also mark the general resumption of full production of the Legends Ultimate (ALU) in its latest iteration after global supply challenges due to COVID-19.

As a verified, original owner, we have two gifts to share as our Thank You:

1. 47 Taito arcade games free of charge. On September 2nd, the Wednesday before Labor Day Weekend, we will be upgrading to firmware 5.0.0 (a milestone), with which we will be able to send you a gift link to download and install on your ALU the 47 Taito arcade games package. With the upgrade, your total built-in games will become 397 (350 + 47). We will update you on how to get the gift link later in August.

2. A 50% discount on our BitPixel LED marquee. On August 14th through September 13th, you can get 50% off when placing a reservation for our accessory, BitPixel LED marquee, a $100 savings off the $200 selling price.

If you are interested in pre-ordering the latest iteration of the Legends Ultimate, you are welcome to do so. It will be at the same price of $599 plus shipping.

Pre-orders for the Legends Ultimate and the accessories will be fulfilled based on availability and are on a first-come, first-serve basis. We will email to confirm when shipments are ready.

As for the latest iteration of the Legends Ultimate, these are the changes to the main features:

1. 300 built-in games (350 games in the original units received/delivered prior to September 2020)

2. 1 HDMI input (2 in the original units)

3. 1 USB 2.0 and 1 USB 3.0 port (2 USB 2.0 ports in the original units)

4. Ports and volume control are on a panel under the LCD monitor

5. Ports for pinball kit

6. Interchangeable control top

7. Interchangeable side panel art

Please also note the following about accessories:

· The BitPixel LED marquee and the BitBlaster light gun are compatible with all Legends Ultimate and Legends Gamer units

· Cabinet skins are only designed for the newest iteration of the Legends Ultimate

· Pinball kits are only compatible with the newest iteration of the Legends Ultimate and the Gamer series products

· Trackball kits are compatible with Legends Gamer, Legends Gamer Pro, and all Legends Ultimate units

· BitLCD marquee and BitRacer steering wheel are not part of the wave 1 accessories; availability will be announced

We value all members of the Legends Arcade Platform community and appreciate your commitment as an original Legends Ultimate owner. We look forward to sharing additional, exciting news about the only connected arcade platform on the market and having you along for the continued growth and evolution of our platform.

Regards,

AtGames

#2357 soonersfan60   Longing for retro CAG... CAGiversary!   4448 Posts   Joined 15.9 Years Ago  

soonersfan60

Posted 12 August 2020 - 07:23 PM

I want to play Neo Mr. Do. Am I going to have to wait for it to be hacked?

#2358 defpally   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   2297 Posts   Joined 11.4 Years Ago  

defpally

Posted 12 August 2020 - 09:04 PM

I get that they need good fighting game representation, they had some great ones, but 20% of the roster is filled by the 10 King of Fighters games.  And 8 Fatal Fury games.  Samurai Shodown has 6.  And 4 World Heroes.  They should have just included some of the high points in the fighting series.  They have so many good other games - shooters, action and sports.  I remember the Neo Geo we had at the arcade I worked at, nobody really played it for fighting games, it was almost always the sports games - mainly because it was just across from Street Fighter 2 CE/Turbo and people played that instead.  2020 Super Baseball was so much fun (and given the year, hilarious in hindsight).  Neo Geo was so much more than just Metal Slug and King of Fighters.

#2359 mrboo2501  

mrboo2501

Posted 12 August 2020 - 11:10 PM

Wait a sec, why does the Neo Geo bartop have 6 buttons?  Which Neo Geo game requires 6 buttons?  

#2360 ravens52bears54   Thin Blue Line CAGiversary!   1647 Posts   Joined 15.0 Years Ago  

ravens52bears54

Posted 12 August 2020 - 11:28 PM

I'd say it should be pretty obvious at this point that this company sucks, but I feel like even referring to them as a "company" is a stretch. Seeing videos of some of their employees talking, it's clear most of them have probably never even played video games until recently.

I will agree that their customer service is garbage. I like their products but their customer service and shipping costs are a joke.

#2361 ravens52bears54   Thin Blue Line CAGiversary!   1647 Posts   Joined 15.0 Years Ago  

ravens52bears54

Posted 12 August 2020 - 11:32 PM

if you happen to be an owner of the legends ultimate, check your email for info about free 47 taito game upgrade (bubble bobble!) as well as a discount on an upcoming led marquee upgrade.

I still haven't opened mine. I guess I have to register it once I get it set up?

#2362 doctorwolf   CAG Newbie CAGiversary!   259 Posts   Joined 8.3 Years Ago  

doctorwolf

Posted 12 August 2020 - 11:39 PM

I will agree that their customer service is garbage. I like their products but their customer service and shipping costs are a joke.

I feel like a couple of guys who know nothing about business were at a bar and one guy bet the other that he couldn't sell an arcade machine, and the other guy accepted the bet. The guy was actually able to sell a couple of them and ever since, they have been trying to figure out how to turn what started out as a bar joke into a real thing.

Arcade1up origin story complete.

#2363 purbeast   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   1117 Posts   Joined 13.1 Years Ago  

Posted 12 August 2020 - 11:44 PM

Wait a sec, why does the Neo Geo bartop have 6 buttons?  Which Neo Geo game requires 6 buttons?  

None.

#2364 slamoco   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   216 Posts   Joined 17.0 Years Ago  

Posted 13 August 2020 - 02:57 AM

Wait a sec, why does the Neo Geo bartop have 6 buttons? Which Neo Geo game requires 6 buttons?

I am hoping the 6 button layout gives you the option to configure your play style.
D5CRoOGUUAEBohs.jpeg

#2365 mrboo2501  

mrboo2501

Posted 13 August 2020 - 03:28 AM

I am hoping the 6 button layout gives you the option to configure your play style.

Hope you're right, otherwise, from an engineering perspective, it's a sign that they didn't think things through or....from a marketing perspective, they just quickly slapped something together.

#2366 gorgo   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1208 Posts   Joined 17.6 Years Ago  

Posted 13 August 2020 - 04:08 AM

I want to play Neo Mr. Do. Am I going to have to wait for it to be hacked?

You can play it on CoinOpsX on the Atgames Legends. Along with all the other Mr Do games, and a few thousand other arcade games. Free.

#2367 purbeast   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   1117 Posts   Joined 13.1 Years Ago  

Posted 13 August 2020 - 03:04 PM

attachicon.gifD5CRoOGUUAEBohs.jpeg

Those middle 2 layouts aren't the same at all.  The button positions on the left and right are completely off.

Also, I'm not sure if you saw the actual cabinet, but there aren't 2 rows of 4 buttons.  It's 2 rows of 3 buttons, so those middle two layouts aren't even possible.

#2368 slamoco   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   216 Posts   Joined 17.0 Years Ago  

Posted 13 August 2020 - 03:55 PM

Those middle 2 layouts aren't the same at all. The button positions on the left and right are completely off.

Also, I'm not sure if you saw the actual cabinet, but there aren't 2 rows of 4 buttons. It's 2 rows of 3 buttons, so those middle two layouts aren't even possible.

Correct, I was just trying to show there has been different button layouts and that there was an arcade cabinet that had a 6 button configuration.

#2369 BrandonJF   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   741 Posts   Joined 12.9 Years Ago  

BrandonJF

Posted 13 August 2020 - 08:33 PM

The Ms. Pac-Man upright cab is now completely gone from the Best Buy site, they've been removed as a "partner" from the Arcade1Up listing, and it's now up at Wal-Mart for $50 less than it had been listed at Best Buy.

The X-Men version of the Marvel Vs. Capcom cab is up at Wal-Mart.com and it is $100 less than the "Marvel Super Heroes" version at Best Buy.   I wonder if the MSH "Special Edition" version has anything else going for it beyond having a different SNES game, one additional arcade game, and one different arcade game.  That's a pretty huge difference in price.

#2370 teh lurv  

teh lurv

Posted 13 August 2020 - 09:38 PM

The X-Men version of the Marvel Vs. Capcom cab is up at Wal-Mart.com and it is $100 less than the "Marvel Super Heroes" version at Best Buy.   I wonder if the MSH "Special Edition" version has anything else going for it beyond having a different SNES game, one additional arcade game, and one different arcade game.  That's a pretty huge difference in price.

The description in the MvC Best Buy product page mentions an included stool.