* * * * - 6 votes

The Home Arcade Tremendous Deals and Discussion Thread

#2731 teh lurv  

teh lurv

Posted 25 November 2020 - 07:05 PM

Arcade1Up has a Black Friday deal on their website: Until Dec 1st, Burgertime is $379 plus free domestic shipping. Given that A1U usually charges about $50 in shipping costs for their direct sale cabinets, this discount isn't that bad if you've been looking to pick up a Burgertime cabinet.

Link: https://arcade1up.co...-arcade-machine

#2732 Saphoon   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   2068 Posts   Joined 17.5 Years Ago  

Posted 25 November 2020 - 07:39 PM

Yeah, I think I saw that project years ago, or a similar one at least, as that OG footage was garbage and then some. The project I saw, the guy used new digital DVD footage(maybe even blu-ray), and I thought that was amazing. While I had no way to use that footage on a Laser Disc, I could have set my cab up with Daphne, and used the new and improved footage that way. 

BTW, I finally got around to checking out my DL Replicade last night, and the video reviews did not over exaggerate, as it is amazing!!! Watching all the reviews, I thought the controls might be bad, as everyone sucked playing the game, but yeah, they just sucked, as the game runs perfect. LOL The details are insane, and I would for sure recommend they stick to more basic games like this, as there's no room for control issues with something like this.

I agree New Wave should swap some ideas with Quarter Arcade, as 1/4 would for sure be better for unique controls, but this DL is near flawless just needing one button on each side and one joystick. For sure my favorite so far, and that goes for my Quarter arcades as well, and those are all amazing as well. That red digital readout for score and lives is spot on, and was probably my favorite feature, as that was unique to these Bluth games in the arcade.

That's good to hear. I definitely have to get one, once they become available again. Unless GS surprises us on their actual Black Friday or Cyber Monday (which I doubt - bet last years sale was one of their many glitches they decided to honor anyway) it seems I missed out on my one and only chance to get Quarter Arcades at a decent price. They're probably worth the MSRP, but it's really hard to cough up that much dough knowing I could have had it for much cheaper. I wish I got in on DL when it was a kickstarter, but I had no interest in any of these home cabinets when that deal was offered, so I never came across the notification when it was posted here last year. Nevertheless, I'd rather pay the "stupid tax" than risk it going out of print, and get in on it if they do decide to make Space Ace and/or DL II.

#2733 georox   The Captain CAGiversary!   7718 Posts   Joined 14.4 Years Ago  

Posted 25 November 2020 - 08:30 PM

Big Lots has the Capcom Black Series cocktail table in-store for 350. Join their rewards club online and get a 15% off coupon, bringing it down to about 300. 

#2734 chrislaustin   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   7721 Posts   Joined 15.6 Years Ago  

chrislaustin

Posted 26 November 2020 - 01:00 AM

Nevertheless, I'd rather pay the "stupid tax" than risk it going out of print, and get in on it if they do decide to make Space Ace and/or DL II.

Well, SA used the exact same cab as DL, so I wouldn't be surprised if they already have a prototype of that one ready to go, especially since the DL cab uses Daphne. I just saw on New Wave's Twitter, they have some more DL due to arrive on 12/14, so make sure your signed up for emails and ready to go, as I'm sure they will go quick.

The only Quarter Arcade I'm missing currently is Galaxian. I'm hoping since that one is probably the least desired of the 4 currently available I'll see a discount sooner, rather than later. They also have a 40th Anniversary Pac-Man, standard and there was a LE of 256 units, signed by the Pac-Man creator. I really wanted that one, but it was $300 and I kept going back and forth on if I wanted it, and then it was gone. I should have just gotten one, because even if my funds weren't good at the time, I could have easily flipped it to cover cost of some other units after the fact.

I thought the 40th Anniversary looked cool, but once I start getting these LE models, than I have tons of cabs that don't match my memories of 80's arcades. So I passed on the New Wave Toys arcade "worn" LE Asteroids as well, as I'm like, you want me to pay full price for a cab that looks used? LE or not, that just wasn't for me, but I still may grab the regular Asteroids after the new year, as I do love that cabs art, just not the game so much(hard as hell).

#2735 Saphoon   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   2068 Posts   Joined 17.5 Years Ago  

Posted 26 November 2020 - 06:43 PM

Well, SA used the exact same cab as DL, so I wouldn't be surprised if they already have a prototype of that one ready to go, especially since the DL cab uses Daphne. I just saw on New Wave's Twitter, they have some more DL due to arrive on 12/14, so make sure your signed up for emails and ready to go, as I'm sure they will go quick.

The only Quarter Arcade I'm missing currently is Galaxian. I'm hoping since that one is probably the least desired of the 4 currently available I'll see a discount sooner, rather than later. They also have a 40th Anniversary Pac-Man, standard and there was a LE of 256 units, signed by the Pac-Man creator. I really wanted that one, but it was $300 and I kept going back and forth on if I wanted it, and then it was gone. I should have just gotten one, because even if my funds weren't good at the time, I could have easily flipped it to cover cost of some other units after the fact.

I thought the 40th Anniversary looked cool, but once I start getting these LE models, than I have tons of cabs that don't match my memories of 80's arcades. So I passed on the New Wave Toys arcade "worn" LE Asteroids as well, as I'm like, you want me to pay full price for a cab that looks used? LE or not, that just wasn't for me, but I still may grab the regular Asteroids after the new year, as I do love that cabs art, just not the game so much(hard as hell).

Personally, I prefer cabinets that look like the ones I grew up with, rather than new designs, especially if I already owned the original (like you presumably do). Still, it does look nice, which cannot be said for the original U.S. release Pac-Man cabinet. I heard it was redesigned by Midway from the colorful original Japanese design down to three colors to keep costs down. It also featured the goofy, flipper-footed Pac-Man model that looks nothing like his other depictions. Even the original Japanese cabinet, which preceded the NA release, nailed the look we are familiar with. Of course, the original American release is so iconic, it transcends aesthetics for us. While not nearly as big as a 1UP cab, or original machine, they do take up quite a bit of space. I don't think I would want more than one example of each title.

Galaxian is pretty outdated after Galaga, but the cabinet looks nice - in most ways better than its more popular brother.

As for DL, I've signed up on the email list, and will definitely be paying extra attention as the 14th approaches. Thanks for the heads up. 

Asteroids, though dated by other shooters, still manages to hold onto its unique identity. Not sure how well a vector game loaded with small objects will play on such a tiny machine, though (I assume they're not using actual vector monitors, even though that would be really awesome).

#2736 chrislaustin   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   7721 Posts   Joined 15.6 Years Ago  

chrislaustin

Posted 26 November 2020 - 07:04 PM

LOL, great minds think alike, as I would have preferred the OG Japanese release of Pac-Man as well(Puck-Man FTW), as I thought that would have been a better 40 anniversary version. I would really like to see some offerings from other regions as well, as many of those had unique art in the same way we get different box art for our games worldwide.

Tempest looked good enough, so I don't think Asteroids should be to bad, but that is a 100% button controlled game, so no telling how well that will work either(buttons are way small)? If I get my funds straight in the new year, I'll for sure grab one, as I do love the cab in general, I just sucked at the game. LOL

EDIT: I still might get that 40th anniversary Pac-Man, as it looks cool, but only for a good discount. If they would have offered a version of the Japanese version signed by the creator, I would have ordered day 1, but I just didn't have a connection to that new version(even having it signed). 

#2737 Saphoon   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   2068 Posts   Joined 17.5 Years Ago  

Posted 26 November 2020 - 10:36 PM

LOL, great minds think alike, as I would have preferred the OG Japanese release of Pac-Man as well(Puck-Man FTW), as I thought that would have been a better 40 anniversary version. I would really like to see some offerings from other regions as well, as many of those had unique art in the same way we get different box art for our games worldwide.

Tempest looked good enough, so I don't think Asteroids should be to bad, but that is a 100% button controlled game, so no telling how well that will work either(buttons are way small)? If I get my funds straight in the new year, I'll for sure grab one, as I do love the cab in general, I just sucked at the game. LOL

EDIT: I still might get that 40th anniversary Pac-Man, as it looks cool, but only for a good discount. If they would have offered a version of the Japanese version signed by the creator, I would have ordered day 1, but I just didn't have a connection to that new version(even having it signed). 

Doubt it will ever be discounted, as it is a limited edition product, unless someone has a blanket Quarter Arcade sale like they did last year. BTW, do you know how much shipping rates are from Replicade? The free shipping offer will be long expired by DL's expected restock on Dec. 14th. 

#2738 DT778   number 1 on the westside CAGiversary!   10559 Posts   Joined 17.6 Years Ago  

Posted 27 November 2020 - 02:21 AM

A friend of mine is interested in the NBA Jam arcade. Walmart has it with the riser for $400, is there a better deal out there?
https://www.walmart....de1Up/664728270

#2739 chrislaustin   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   7721 Posts   Joined 15.6 Years Ago  

chrislaustin

Posted 27 November 2020 - 03:16 AM

Doubt it will ever be discounted, as it is a limited edition product, unless someone has a blanket Quarter Arcade sale like they did last year. BTW, do you know how much shipping rates are from Replicade? The free shipping offer will be long expired by DL's expected restock on Dec. 14th. 

Yeah, all the Replicade deals have had free shipping I believe, and if I ever paid shipping, I for sure don't remember what it was. The BF deals currently running, I met their free shipping cap for free shipping, so I can't even say for my recent order either.

That 40th Anniversary Pac-Man was only limited for the signed edition, as the standard is just a normal run like the others besides the OG Pac-Man. That first Pac-Man was the only other LE with a set number, but they have had that one discounted on their site at least once, as I bought one of my two machines when it was on sale. It also had a HUGE run, of 10,000 I believe, and I thought that was insane when they announced it, as this is a niche market. So they are still selling those I believe, and it's been 2 years already, or it may have just finally sold out recently.

#2740 doctorwolf   CAG Newbie CAGiversary!   259 Posts   Joined 8.3 Years Ago  

doctorwolf

Posted 27 November 2020 - 03:43 AM

A friend of mine is interested in the NBA Jam arcade. Walmart has it with the riser for $400, is there a better deal out there?

I think I saw it at Sam's club for the same price, but it included a stool.

#2741 DT778   number 1 on the westside CAGiversary!   10559 Posts   Joined 17.6 Years Ago  

Posted 27 November 2020 - 04:37 AM

I think I saw it at Sam's club for the same price, but it included a stool.

Thanks, that reminds me that I did see it at Costco not too long ago. I’ll tell him to check it out but it’s probably already been cleared out for Christmas stuff

#2742 Saphoon   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   2068 Posts   Joined 17.5 Years Ago  

Posted 27 November 2020 - 03:44 PM

Yeah, all the Replicade deals have had free shipping I believe, and if I ever paid shipping, I for sure don't remember what it was. The BF deals currently running, I met their free shipping cap for free shipping, so I can't even say for my recent order either.

That 40th Anniversary Pac-Man was only limited for the signed edition, as the standard is just a normal run like the others besides the OG Pac-Man. That first Pac-Man was the only other LE with a set number, but they have had that one discounted on their site at least once, as I bought one of my two machines when it was on sale. It also had a HUGE run, of 10,000 I believe, and I thought that was insane when they announced it, as this is a niche market. So they are still selling those I believe, and it's been 2 years already, or it may have just finally sold out recently.

Pac-Man and Galaga have been sold out on GS for a long time, though Pac-Man can still be found at other retailers linked to on the Numskull site. Very disappointing that there wasn't a sale on these, but this has been THE year for lovers of disappointment. Replicade must produce far fewer units, as their cabs (with the exception of DL, for now) are long gone, save Ebay and Amazon marketplace sellers with ridiculous markups.

#2743 chrislaustin   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   7721 Posts   Joined 15.6 Years Ago  

chrislaustin

Posted 27 November 2020 - 04:03 PM

Pac-Man and Galaga have been sold out on GS for a long time, though Pac-Man can still be found at other retailers linked to on the Numskull site. Very disappointing that there wasn't a sale on these, but this has been THE year for lovers of disappointment. Replicade must produce far fewer units, as their cabs (with the exception of DL, for now) are long gone, save Ebay and Amazon marketplace sellers with ridiculous markups.

Yeah, the Replicades SF & Tempest just sold out in the last month or so, as I got emails from NWT stating stock was limited, and buy now, or not at all. Centipede went awhile back, but that was first and had good reviews, but it lasted ages as well. The Replicades were also all spread out over time, and more likely to be bought due to there lower cost.

The Quarter Arcade Ms Pac, Galaxian and Galaga all got released within 1-2 months of one another(last year), which meant not everyone could buy them at the same time($150-$200). If not for the $100 I got them for, I wouldn't have gotten what I did, and that's why I'm still waiting on Galaxian. The only Galaxian deal I've heard of was from Walmart, and while they used to carry them all, it seems Pac-Man is all that's left. These also take up way more space than the Replicade, so most retailers probably don't want a niche item like this taking up space, due to slower sells.

But if I had to guess, I would say both are dealing in similar numbers, but Replicade is cheaper, and for something like DL, offers just as much detail at a lower price than QA(shipping is much cheaper as well). Both are well worth their prospective asking price, but both are a hard sell to anyone who isn't a diehard 80's arcade kid. As you can get bigger more full size A1Up for less in many cases, and that seems more inviting to most, especially for those who don't care for arcade accuracy.

#2744 Indiana Jones   Yippie kai yay! CAGiversary!   2564 Posts   Joined 16.1 Years Ago  

Indiana Jones

Posted 27 November 2020 - 07:53 PM

Arcade1Up has a Black Friday deal on their website: Until Dec 1st, Burgertime is $379 plus free domestic shipping. Given that A1U usually charges about $50 in shipping costs for their direct sale cabinets, this discount isn't that bad if you've been looking to pick up a Burgertime cabinet.

Link: https://arcade1up.co...-arcade-machine

Site says less than 75 left if you want it.

#2745 Indiana Jones   Yippie kai yay! CAGiversary!   2564 Posts   Joined 16.1 Years Ago  

Indiana Jones

Posted 27 November 2020 - 07:58 PM

doctorwolf is correct. $400 but with a stool at Sam's Club through Nov. 29. But if you don't have a membership, that Walmart price is the best.

#2746 defpally   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   2295 Posts   Joined 11.3 Years Ago  

defpally

Posted 27 November 2020 - 08:59 PM

CH did have a dip switch setting to give proper clues after death, but I can't remember if I ever saw it on any of the few machines I saw, or once I learned of DAPHNE(my almost 50 year brain is hazy to say the least). I think the first time I ever saw a cab in person(Del Amo Mall in Torrance CA), I actually saw someone finish it as well. Which was rare even for DL at the time, and CH was 10x more difficult due to lack of proper clues and two action buttons. 

Yeah, it was pretty ingenious how they spliced content from several areas to make one game, to save on the cost of having to animate from scratch as Don Bluth had to for DL. I always wondered why CH never had the flashes or clues that DL did, and after learning the history pretty early on, I knew why. 

I'm pretty sure your spot on in regards to Stern and the licensing expiring, as that was typical of so much anime from that time period and before. And with several sources being used for this one game, no telling the "who, what or why" of it all? Like I said, someone would have to do some serious work to make this happen(mini arcade, console release, etc.), and I just don't see the interest there to make it worth anyone's time. But I would so support it in whatever way possible if it ever happens, but I'm just not holding my breath.

I played the original back in the arcade and was even there when the guy installed it, and saw him put in the disc.  The arcade did have clues (a dipswitch setting that was on in my arcade), but it was done with text that would indicate stick or button input being required (but not exactly what you needed to do).  I believe it could be turned off or give more specific hints.  Another dipswitch setting was to show the gallows after the death sequence, I guess they figured that might have been a tad over the top for a family arcade, but it was on in my arcade.

When I made my arcade cabinet I put several arcade games on it, and Cliff Hanger with the updated widescreen footage was an absolute must, right behind Space Ace (my favorite) and Dragon's Liar (the classic).  If you are messing around with this, keep in mind Space Ace and Dragon's Lair have "enhanced" versions as well that fans put together that added in some missing scenes (the bridge in DL in particular) and worked on the game flow.  They play a lot better, but of course aren't for you if you want arcade perfection.

#2747 chrislaustin   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   7721 Posts   Joined 15.6 Years Ago  

chrislaustin

Posted 27 November 2020 - 10:43 PM

Yeah, the gallows scene was another area were you see the creativity and downside to recycling already created animation. One of the best features of Dragons Lair(SA/DL2) was the unique death scenes for every wrong move. But CH either used a generic explosion, or the gallows, and it wasn't until adulthood that I realized the gallows didn't have to happen. It was pretty graphic(not to an 80's kid), but some could have found issue, and that's why the option was there to turn it off. It wasn't until years later did I realize CH had very few death scene options, especially when compared to Bluth's crazy creative death scenes. LOL

#2748 Saphoon   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   2068 Posts   Joined 17.5 Years Ago  

Posted 28 November 2020 - 03:23 AM

Yeah, the gallows scene was another area were you see the creativity and downside to recycling already created animation. One of the best features of Dragons Lair(SA/DL2) was the unique death scenes for every wrong move. But CH either used a generic explosion, or the gallows, and it wasn't until adulthood that I realized the gallows didn't have to happen. It was pretty graphic(not to an 80's kid), but some could have found issue, and that's why the option was there to turn it off. It wasn't until years later did I realize CH had very few death scene options, especially when compared to Bluth's crazy creative death scenes. LOL

There was a few nicely done death scenes in CH, like when the tree branch breaks if you fail to use your belt winch in time, the car appearing to blow up if you fail to dodge the grenades during the chase, Cliff being messed up by the underwater mechanisms, or appearing to die in the gears during the fight against the Count Draco/Caliostro in the clock tower. Others were very fitting, like Zenigata pointing a gun right at the player and pulling the trigger if you fail the opening scene, worked well. Still, not as good as Bluth's many death scenes.

When I played it on Daphne years ago, the DIP switch options allowed for clues to be given if the player failed a certain amount of times. These were present in the arcade as well. I think removing the gallows might also have been because it was tedious to have to keep watching it over and over, especially since not all of CH's moves were easily discerned. One guy I saw playing it would shake the machine when the gallows came on, and it would end the sequence prematurely.  

#2749 CaptainButtlord   bang bang what's the hang CAGiversary!   1305 Posts   Joined 10.2 Years Ago  

CaptainButtlord

Posted 28 November 2020 - 03:28 AM

Got NBA Jam in the mail from Sam’s today. $399 came with riser and stool.

#2750 purbeast   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   1117 Posts   Joined 13.1 Years Ago  

Posted 28 November 2020 - 08:10 PM

So my Time Crisis project is complete.  

I finally finished up converting the TC to JAMMA.  But after I got that working, my board set had some graphical issues.  The game played fine but it just looked strange with glitches.

I got another board set that was working and swapped out 2 of the 4 boards into the one I converted, and now all works perfectly.

The game is such a blast i'm glad to finally have it working!

#2751 TheGuido   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   447 Posts   Joined 12.9 Years Ago  

Posted 28 November 2020 - 08:15 PM

So I posted a while back that I picked up an upright Turbo Outrun that runs blind. I just don't have the time to mess with it. Does this have any value as is? Any estimate? I think I'm just going to Facebook Marketplace it.

#2752 defpally   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   2295 Posts   Joined 11.3 Years Ago  

defpally

Posted 28 November 2020 - 08:31 PM

There was a few nicely done death scenes in CH, like when the tree branch breaks if you fail to use your belt winch in time, the car appearing to blow up if you fail to dodge the grenades during the chase, Cliff being messed up by the underwater mechanisms, or appearing to die in the gears during the fight against the Count Draco/Caliostro in the clock tower. Others were very fitting, like Zenigata pointing a gun right at the player and pulling the trigger if you fail the opening scene, worked well. Still, not as good as Bluth's many death scenes.

When I played it on Daphne years ago, the DIP switch options allowed for clues to be given if the player failed a certain amount of times. These were present in the arcade as well. I think removing the gallows might also have been because it was tedious to have to keep watching it over and over, especially since not all of CH's moves were easily discerned. One guy I saw playing it would shake the machine when the gallows came on, and it would end the sequence prematurely.  

It would likely also end the machine prematurely as well.  The laser disc players in those machines weren't really known for their quality or dependability (they were mostly bulk because the laser disc home market didn't take off), and forcing them into a read error by physically shifting the head is not a good thing.

#2753 Saphoon   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   2068 Posts   Joined 17.5 Years Ago  

Posted 28 November 2020 - 10:16 PM

So my Time Crisis project is complete.  

I finally finished up converting the TC to JAMMA.  But after I got that working, my board set had some graphical issues.  The game played fine but it just looked strange with glitches.

I got another board set that was working and swapped out 2 of the 4 boards into the one I converted, and now all works perfectly.

The game is such a blast i'm glad to finally have it working!

That's pretty awesome. How many games are in that cabinet now?

#2754 Saphoon   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   2068 Posts   Joined 17.5 Years Ago  

Posted 28 November 2020 - 10:23 PM

It would likely also end the machine prematurely as well.  The laser disc players in those machines weren't really known for their quality or dependability (they were mostly bulk because the laser disc home market didn't take off), and forcing them into a read error by physically shifting the head is not a good thing.

Yes, I remember many operators would convert laser cabinets to other games once the players failed. One operator told me he sent his cockpit MACH 3 to the dump when the laser player failed. Others recycled their cabs, converting them into other games. I still recall the disappointment I got whenever I saw a MACH 3 cockpit in an arcade, only to get inside and see it was converted to 1942, Sky Shark, or XX Mission. 

#2755 purbeast   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   1117 Posts   Joined 13.1 Years Ago  

Posted 29 November 2020 - 04:41 AM

That's pretty awesome. How many games are in that cabinet now?

I have 8 games total hooked up at once but one of them is "external" in the sense that I can change it without going inside the cabinet.  It sits on top of the Rush cabinet right next to it.  That is where I plan to hook up Time Crisis when connected to the switcher.

I have 12 games total though but only 8 can be connected at once.

Right now TC is hooked up directly because the switcher blew a relay and was being replaced but I have it back now and just haven't hooked it back up yet as I got it back like a week ago.

But I purposefully designed it so i have one slot in the switcher "external" so I can change with easy.  I am contemplating now finding a Namco gun with solenoid to use exclusively with TC too.  It just adds so much more to the feel but those things are not cheap and/or easy to come by.

#2756 E-Z-B   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   3425 Posts   Joined 17.7 Years Ago  

Posted 30 November 2020 - 01:41 AM

The microswitch in my arcade1up TMNT isn’t working right for the one joystick. Took it apart, pried the cover off the microswitch, and now it’s clicking and working. Not sure how long that’ll last. Anyone have a recommendation for a new microswitch?

#2757 E-Z-B   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   3425 Posts   Joined 17.7 Years Ago  

Posted 30 November 2020 - 02:23 PM

Anyone seeing the preorder for the atgames pinball?

#2758 TheNeck   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   589 Posts   Joined 13.1 Years Ago  

Posted 30 November 2020 - 04:34 PM

since this will be my 1st AT purchase, i have to wait till 12pm PST to preorder the pinball. CANT WAIT!

#2759 kwick7   CAG Lurking Veteran CAGiversary!   901 Posts   Joined 16.3 Years Ago  

Posted 30 November 2020 - 05:35 PM

https://www.atgames....819-reservation

$100 shipping though.

#2760 Saphoon   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   2068 Posts   Joined 17.5 Years Ago  

Posted 30 November 2020 - 06:33 PM

What engine are they using to render their tables? Pinball physics are notoriously difficult to convincingly render in a video game. Previous machines like this, such as Virtuapin, played poorly, despite having excellent cabinets and a good selection of classic Bally/Williams tables. Which brings me to another point - this machine comes with 22 Gottleib tables. Gottleib is what people who want a pinball machine in their house, but don't want to spend the ridiculous amount of money a new Stern, Jersey Jack, or vintage Bally/Williams costs. If it allows you to add your own games like their Arcade Legends cabinet does, that could be awesome, but getting good table simulations will be a lot more complicated than simply finding and installing roms.