* * * * - 6 votes

The Home Arcade Tremendous Deals and Discussion Thread

#2881 teh lurv  

teh lurv

Posted 12 January 2021 - 05:53 PM

That X-Men cab looks to be the first time there is a mix of different publishers - they all share the same licensed properties, but isn't that a Konami game with two Data East games?

Data East seems to be an easy publisher to get rights from. I see their games on all manner of cheap mini-arcade products.

#2882 KrayzieKMF   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   3597 Posts   Joined 16.6 Years Ago  

Posted 12 January 2021 - 06:00 PM

They need a virtual on cabinet

#2883 Indiana Jones   Yippie kai yay! CAGiversary!   2480 Posts   Joined 15.6 Years Ago  

Indiana Jones

Posted 13 January 2021 - 07:53 AM

There was one Outrun at my nearest Walmart for $400, which is less than the $550 Gamestop is asking for. I wanted to get it but just don't have the room.

They had a crap ton of Ms. Pac-Man before Christmas and they all sold. NBA Jam, however, is collecting dust.

#2884 n64ra   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   2771 Posts   Joined 13.4 Years Ago  

Posted 13 January 2021 - 02:42 PM

I was initially excited by many of the titles, but after reading more on each I'm not so sure.  No online for SFII, the digital scoreboard on the DL and Space Ace cabs are just smartphones (likely a cost move, but still don't care for it personally), the titles on the X-men cab are kind of meh outside of the main title and at least as of the moment, Best Buy has Pong listed at $550, which seems a bit much given the titles included and A1U's bad track record with the spinners.  KI looks interesting and may be in for that one based on reviews.  Maybe some of these things will be revised before release, I guess we'll see.

No wifi for SF2 does suck, but at least now I know skipping the first SF2 and Final Fight cabinets was the right call. Here's hoping for a Midway cabinet combining MK and Ramage into one.

#2885 Saphoon   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   2049 Posts   Joined 17.0 Years Ago  

Posted 13 January 2021 - 04:33 PM

https://9to5toys.com...de1up-ces-2021/

Oh nice, it DOES have Warlords! Just saw that on the product page on the A1Up site. Thanks for all the links TrumpCat... that does make me kinda want the Pong one though

Pong, along with many other early-to-mid '70s games, was hardwired, so it is impossible to emulate as it does not use roms. Whatever version they use here would not be authentic. I also don't recall ever seeing a cocktail version of Pong. The sequel, Pong Doubles, had one, but it looked nothing like this.

#2886 avatar94   CAG Addict CAGiversary!   621 Posts   Joined 15.3 Years Ago  

Posted 13 January 2021 - 05:59 PM

Pong, along with many other early-to-mid '70s games, was hardwired, so it is impossible to emulate as it does not use roms. Whatever version they use here would not be authentic. I also don't recall ever seeing a cocktail version of Pong. The sequel, Pong Doubles, had one, but it looked nothing like this.

I mean... technically the original arcade versions of all these games were hard-coded chips on circuit boards so none of it is truly "authentic" ... but that's exactly what emulating is. And yeah, the Pong art looks like the old cabs I remember, but I don't know that there was ever a system in that style, although I was too young to go into a bar when Pong was big. I love the design though, especially since it looks like it's sized to be proper stand up height. I'd be very tempted by that if I didn't already have a Jamma 60-in-1 built into a cocktail table with a very similar shape that I paid 3x as much for from a local shop 10 years ago.

#2887 nightc1   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   3429 Posts   Joined 15.6 Years Ago  

Posted 13 January 2021 - 10:00 PM

There was one Outrun at my nearest Walmart for $400, which is less than the $550 Gamestop is asking for. I wanted to get it but just don't have the room.

They had a crap ton of Ms. Pac-Man before Christmas and they all sold. NBA Jam, however, is collecting dust.

I was in a walmart yesterday here that had half a dozen of the Outrun sitdown cabs.  Cool idea... though I still can't bring myselft to spend the money.  They also had a fresh stock of various stools.

#2888 KrayzieKMF   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   3597 Posts   Joined 16.6 Years Ago  

Posted 13 January 2021 - 10:03 PM

No wifi for SF2 does suck, but at least now I know skipping the first SF2 and Final Fight cabinets was the right call. Here's hoping for a Midway cabinet combining MK and Ramage into one.

i still regret not getting a sf2 cabinet for $150

#2889 KrAzY3   The 3 is silent. CAGiversary!   678 Posts   Joined 16.0 Years Ago  

Posted 13 January 2021 - 11:40 PM

Now I regret not getting a couple other first gen ones for $75 (Space Invaders and Rampage). I convinced myself that we'd see more deep clearance ones in the future. I got that SF2 though and I do not regret heh.

#2890 Indiana Jones   Yippie kai yay! CAGiversary!   2480 Posts   Joined 15.6 Years Ago  

Indiana Jones

Posted 14 January 2021 - 12:31 AM

Rampage and Final Fight are the ones I regret not getting, especially when Walmart had Final Fight on sale for $150.

#2891 teh lurv  

teh lurv

Posted 15 January 2021 - 02:37 PM

Gamestop quietly added to their website a pre-order product page for the Midway Legacy Cabinet:

• Mortal Kombat™
  • Mortal Kombat II™
  • Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3™
  • Joust™
  • Defender™
  • Rampage™
  • Gauntlet™
  • Paperboy™
  • Rootbeer Tapper™
  • Bubbles™
  • Toobin™
  • Wizards of Wor™

https://www.gamestop...n/11114219.html

#2892 BrandonJF   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   719 Posts   Joined 12.4 Years Ago  

BrandonJF

Posted 15 January 2021 - 03:29 PM

Not how I was wanting to see Paperboy, but it's not like the other games from the original cab aren't compromised.  Rampage is now a 2 player game instead of 3, Gauntlet maxes out at 2 players now....  maybe Defender will be more playable with more buttons closer to the joystick, though.  

Paperboy without the handlebars, though....  too bad.  Something tells me we will see a retailer exclusive Paperboy cab, though.

A1UP has put me a position of wanting to replace the first gen units and having to figure out what to do with the old ones.  Should I carry one into a Gamestop and see what happens?  :)

I have a feeling they'll end up out on the curb for bulk item pickup day.  

#2893 HaloGX   DCGX CAGiversary!   1110 Posts   Joined 15.5 Years Ago  

Posted 15 January 2021 - 04:15 PM

A1UP has put me a position of wanting to replace the first gen units and having to figure out what to do with the old ones.  

Honestly, I think this is what they're hoping for. We all know the first round of machines weren't great and they had some cosmetic band-aids after release, but they probably want to replace the first line straight out. Not an entirely bad idea. I, like many, skipped the first batch, and it sounds like most just picked them up because they were clearanced and/or to stick a Pi in. I get how early adopters might not be happy about this though.

#2894 n64ra   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   2771 Posts   Joined 13.4 Years Ago  

Posted 15 January 2021 - 04:50 PM

Well, that Midway cabinet happened faster than i thought it would. Nice to see Rootbeer Tapper on there. Too bad it's not plain old Tapper. Needs the optional tap on the joystick. :)

#2895 Saphoon   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   2049 Posts   Joined 17.0 Years Ago  

Posted 15 January 2021 - 06:00 PM

Not how I was wanting to see Paperboy, but it's not like the other games from the original cab aren't compromised.  Rampage is now a 2 player game instead of 3, Gauntlet maxes out at 2 players now....  maybe Defender will be more playable with more buttons closer to the joystick, though.  

Paperboy without the handlebars, though....  too bad.  Something tells me we will see a retailer exclusive Paperboy cab, though.

A1UP has put me a position of wanting to replace the first gen units and having to figure out what to do with the old ones.  Should I carry one into a Gamestop and see what happens?  :)

Rampage will suck with just two players, but Gauntlet was already two players on the Rampage cab. I felt they should have done a Gauntlet cab - especially since their first-round cabs were closer to the original machine's shape. They could have included all 4 Gauntlet releases - Gauntlet, 2, Legends, and Dark Legacy - and it would have been awesome. While missing something without the handlebars, Paperboy is playable with analog controls and throttle (like Playstation's dual shock controller). An all digital version would be a disaster. As mentioned before, Atari released enough games (Star Wars trilogy, Roadblasters, STUN Runner, Hydra, etc.) to make a dedicated flight yoke cabinet, which would be a good substitute for Paperboy, as the yoke works very similarly to Paperboy's original controls. Toobin' will work well with MK layout, but will suck without a vertical monitor. Also, even though it would share Toobin's vertical problem, not including Sinistar is a . . . sin!

#2896 FloriDUH JBot   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   960 Posts   Joined 8.9 Years Ago  

FloriDUH JBot

Posted 15 January 2021 - 06:00 PM

Not how I was wanting to see Paperboy, but it's not like the other games from the original cab aren't compromised. Rampage is now a 2 player game instead of 3, Gauntlet maxes out at 2 players now.... maybe Defender will be more playable with more buttons closer to the joystick, though.

Paperboy without the handlebars, though.... too bad. Something tells me we will see a retailer exclusive Paperboy cab, though.

A1UP has put me a position of wanting to replace the first gen units and having to figure out what to do with the old ones. Should I carry one into a Gamestop and see what happens? :)

Mod it to a 60-1 if it is vertical or Pi or a Pandora's Box if it is horizontal. Win!

Sent from my SM-P580 using Tapatalk

#2897 BrandonJF   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   719 Posts   Joined 12.4 Years Ago  

BrandonJF

Posted 15 January 2021 - 08:44 PM

Rampage will suck with just two players, but Gauntlet was already two players on the Rampage cab. I felt they should have done a Gauntlet cab - especially since their first-round cabs were closer to the original machine's shape. They could have included all 4 Gauntlet releases - Gauntlet, 2, Legends, and Dark Legacy - and it would have been awesome. While missing something without the handlebars, Paperboy is playable with analog controls and throttle (like Playstation's dual shock controller). An all digital version would be a disaster. As mentioned before, Atari released enough games (Star Wars trilogy, Roadblasters, STUN Runner, Hydra, etc.) to make a dedicated flight yoke cabinet, which would be a good substitute for Paperboy, as the yoke works very similarly to Paperboy's original controls. Toobin' will work well with MK layout, but will suck without a vertical monitor. Also, even though it would share Toobin's vertical problem, not including Sinistar is a . . . sin!

That's right - I forgot Gauntlet was 2 players on the Rampage cab.  

I may see about ditching my MK/Rampage/Final Fights cabs and "upgrading".  I'm not nostalgic enough for the Rampage cab to need it for aesthetic purposes (like some of the others that I only own  out of nostalgia).   I'm definitely getting the new Namco cab.  Wouldn't have minded Rally-X on there, but ok.  They could have got me on the Atari one had they used something other than Tempest for the cab.  Crystal Castles would have been an instant buy.  

It is weird how A1UP announces SOME of their stuff, but then says nothing about the rest.  Why not mention the Midway Legacy cab with the rest of their announcements?  I don't think they have still announced that they have a Super Pac-Man/Pac-Man Plus cab.  Why not list them on their site and link to the retailer sites?  It's weird.  Is part of their deal with these retailers to never mention their name?   

By the way, I did just run into an issue where my Burger Time PCB stopped working (stuck on a "Loading" screen).  Even though it's well outside of their warranty period, they are sending me a new PCB.  I've always had a good experience with their customer service.

#2898 n64ra   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   2771 Posts   Joined 13.4 Years Ago  

Posted 15 January 2021 - 10:35 PM

Rampage and Final Fight are the ones I regret not getting, especially when Walmart had Final Fight on sale for $150.

You'll feel even better when you snag the Capcom Legacy Edition for $150.

#2899 Saphoon   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   2049 Posts   Joined 17.0 Years Ago  

Posted 16 January 2021 - 05:11 AM

Asteroids Replicade is now Sold Out forever. New Wave Toys website is looking really sad - they've practically nothing to sell now. A game reproduction company that doesn't sell game reproductions - doesn't seem like a great business strategy.

#2900 avatar94   CAG Addict CAGiversary!   621 Posts   Joined 15.3 Years Ago  

Posted 16 January 2021 - 04:26 PM

Here's the older version of the Street Fighter cab, but now with a riser included for $380... when did these sneak out?

https://www.walmart....Riser/873770510

Also, that new $99 Galaga countercade has Galaga '88 in it. Wish the old full size would have had that instead of Galaxian.

https://www.walmart....de1Up/311492502

#2901 teh lurv  

teh lurv

Posted 16 January 2021 - 04:43 PM

Here's the older version of the Street Fighter cab, but now with a riser included for $380... when did these sneak out?

Walmart has been selling them for the later half of 2020. I saw a video review of the cabinet early last year before it started being sold in the US. IIRC, the only difference the reviewer noted was the terrible Gen 1 stick and buttons were replaced with the mediocre "real-feel" Sanwa clones A1U is using now.

#2902 slamoco   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   185 Posts   Joined 16.4 Years Ago  

Posted 16 January 2021 - 10:49 PM

Asteroids Replicade is now Sold Out forever. New Wave Toys website is looking really sad - they've practically nothing to sell now. A game reproduction company that doesn't sell game reproductions - doesn't seem like a great business strategy.

I would go the opposite direction on that. I think any business that sold out its inventory is doing really good.

#2903 mrboo2501  

mrboo2501

Posted 16 January 2021 - 11:28 PM

Thanks for this post, didn't know the SF cab is available at Walmart online for that price.  I haven't been keeping tabs on all the recent happenings.  Can someone comment, is there a reason not to get this?  I've always wanted to pick up a 2-player, 6 button cab in hopes of adding mods to it later.  Is there an online SF cab coming in the near future?

Also, that new $99 Galaga countercade has Galaga '88 in it. Wish the old full size would have had that instead of Galaxian.

https://www.walmart....de1Up/311492502

#2904 chrislaustin   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   7680 Posts   Joined 15.1 Years Ago  

chrislaustin

Posted 17 January 2021 - 12:51 AM

I would go the opposite direction on that. I think any business that sold out its inventory is doing really good.

I would also point out how they had several games in stock for what seemed like years, and on multiple sites. As I've explained before, they had one game blow up big, and it brought attention to their back catalog of games, hence NO INVENTORY!

Dragons Lair was also originally due out in March of 2020 and didn't arrive until November, so a rather big delay from what was planned. I would assume Asteroids had a lower set number produced, as previous units sat for ages, and often had decent discounts because of that. Your brand may not look good when you have no inventory, but it also doesn't look that good when every few months your having sales because inventory is sitting for long periods.

They have already stated that going forward they will adjust production qty's to meet new demand, but unless they had a crystal ball to see the year that was 2020, SHIT HAPPENS!!! Numskull who is the other competitor in this market only released one new game(Dig Dug), over the same period of time as NWT. Producing this stuff overseas during a worldwide pandemic is not as simple as flipping a switch and producing new products or inventory. NWT has also mentioned they are open to reproducing past "sold out" titles, so I'm still not seeing the issues some keep making, but whatever.

#2905 slamoco   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   185 Posts   Joined 16.4 Years Ago  

Posted 17 January 2021 - 04:05 PM

I also would like to add the following successful business advice that I learned attending a Prestige Worldwide seminar:
1. Make and sell products above cost
2. Profit
3. Do Karate in the garage

#2906 avatar94   CAG Addict CAGiversary!   621 Posts   Joined 15.3 Years Ago  

Posted 17 January 2021 - 04:41 PM

Thanks for this post, didn't know the SF cab is available at Walmart online for that price.  I haven't been keeping tabs on all the recent happenings.  Can someone comment, is there a reason not to get this?  I've always wanted to pick up a 2-player, 6 button cab in hopes of adding mods to it later.  Is there an online SF cab coming in the near future?

You're welcome!
The X-Men vs Street Fighter cab has online play, but no regular Street Fighter. 
https://arcade1up.co...s_streetfighter
I think the only new cab they've announced with online is the 4 player X-Men.

I've modded a couple of the original SF and MK cabs and I think they're great for mods. I went the cheap route and just used the existing sticks & buttons. All I bought was a Pi3B, a couple zero-delay usb encoders, the HDMI driver board, and a set of cheap laptop speakers that wired directly to the HDMI board without needing an amp.

#2907 kwick7   CAG Lurking Veteran CAGiversary!   858 Posts   Joined 15.8 Years Ago  

Posted 18 January 2021 - 01:58 PM

I also would like to add the following successful business advice that I learned attending a Prestige Worldwide seminar:
2. Profit

I’d like to invest, please.

#2908 Saphoon   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   2049 Posts   Joined 17.0 Years Ago  

Posted 18 January 2021 - 05:58 PM

I would also point out how they had several games in stock for what seemed like years, and on multiple sites. As I've explained before, they had one game blow up big, and it brought attention to their back catalog of games, hence NO INVENTORY!

Dragons Lair was also originally due out in March of 2020 and didn't arrive until November, so a rather big delay from what was planned. I would assume Asteroids had a lower set number produced, as previous units sat for ages, and often had decent discounts because of that. Your brand may not look good when you have no inventory, but it also doesn't look that good when every few months your having sales because inventory is sitting for long periods.

They have already stated that going forward they will adjust production qty's to meet new demand, but unless they had a crystal ball to see the year that was 2020, SHIT HAPPENS!!! Numskull who is the other competitor in this market only released one new game(Dig Dug), over the same period of time as NWT. Producing this stuff overseas during a worldwide pandemic is not as simple as flipping a switch and producing new products or inventory. NWT has also mentioned they are open to reproducing past "sold out" titles, so I'm still not seeing the issues some keep making, but whatever.

It changed from temporarily sold out - more on the way to limited edition - all sold out. Limited edition means the units they made are the only ones they will ever make. Essentially, their site is saying "we used to sell all these things, but no longer do. Now we sell nothing."

#2909 Retroxcellence   Billy "Big Bang" Blitz CAGiversary!   1791 Posts   Joined 6.5 Years Ago  

Retroxcellence

Posted 18 January 2021 - 06:28 PM

2. Profit

Where does this business venture stand regarding bunk beds and John Stamos? The smaller footprint of these units allows for more room for activities

#2910 slamoco   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   185 Posts   Joined 16.4 Years Ago  

Posted 18 January 2021 - 10:21 PM

Where does this business venture stand regarding bunk beds and John Stamos? The smaller footprint of these units allows for more room for activities

Soooooooooo many activities!!!

*teabagging my drum set not included