- - - - -

[Best Buy] Sony Playstation Classic Console - $24.99

#1 Stridix   IT"S OVER 9000!!! CAGiversary!   203 Posts   Joined 9.2 Years Ago  

Posted 04 July 2019 - 12:55 AM

Looks like it really could get lower

https://www.bestbuy....p?skuId=6301601

#2 looserattledgamer  

looserattledgamer

Posted 04 July 2019 - 01:11 AM

Same price at Amazon if ghetto etailers are your thing chicken wing:

https://www.amazon.c...=gateway&sr=8-1

#3 Dark_Sage   Superior CAGiversary!   3556 Posts   Joined 11.1 Years Ago  

Posted 04 July 2019 - 01:15 AM

The Pi 4 is only $10 more...

#4 Jodou   Infamous CAGiversary!   14305 Posts   Joined 10.6 Years Ago  

Posted 04 July 2019 - 03:48 AM

Target cartwheel brings it down another $10 after PM. Finally bit tonight for ~$16 out the door. To think this was $100 half a year ago. . .

#5 dinovelvet   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   3633 Posts   Joined 16.1 Years Ago  

dinovelvet

Posted 04 July 2019 - 03:56 AM

$9.99 on Black Friday?

#6 defpally   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1876 Posts   Joined 9.3 Years Ago  

defpally

Posted 04 July 2019 - 03:59 AM

The Pi 4 is only $10 more...

And includes no controllers, no retro case, no memory card, no licenses for games and no expertise for the non-techie to know how to set one up.  True that to truly benefit from this you will need to hack it, but you don't have to to enjoy it.  Not sure why we have to go through this every single time.  The Pi is a good option for some people, but not a one to one for these mini consoles.

#7 Dark_Sage   Superior CAGiversary!   3556 Posts   Joined 11.1 Years Ago  

Posted 04 July 2019 - 04:08 AM

And includes no controllers, no retro case, no memory card, no licenses for games and no expertise for the non-techie to know how to set one up.  True that to truly benefit from this you will need to hack it, but you don't have to to enjoy it.  Not sure why we have to go through this every single time.  The Pi is a good option for some people, but not a one to one for these mini consoles.

Are you memeing me right now?

#8 inverted_fray  

inverted_fray

Posted 04 July 2019 - 06:12 AM

$9.99 on Black Friday?

They're not gonna go that low and you know it. At least not unless it goes on clearance. I bet the lowest they're gonna go for is $19.99.

#9 Stridix   IT"S OVER 9000!!! CAGiversary!   203 Posts   Joined 9.2 Years Ago  

Posted 04 July 2019 - 08:07 AM

They're not gonna go that low and you know it. At least not unless it goes on clearance. I bet the lowest they're gonna go for is $19.99.

Here is what I think the next move will be

PS5 bundle - buy a PS5 and get PS classic free.

#10 Silver Phoenix   CAG in Training CAGiversary!   129 Posts   Joined 6.7 Years Ago  

Silver Phoenix

Posted 04 July 2019 - 08:13 AM

Plus 30% tax on top of sales tax. For now...

#11 Yu Narukami  

Yu Narukami

Posted 04 July 2019 - 10:11 AM

$20 too expensive. The NES classic or whatever the first one was drove everyone mad. Very low supply + idiots clamoring for it = a clown show of the most disturbing accord. Chaos and buggery everywhere now.

I mean, if they had just made NESs, SNESs, and PS1s that functioned 100% like the original ones, you know, playing the cartridges, these things would be great. But 20-odd some emulation games for these garbage pieces of plastic is pointless.

Edited by Yu Narukami, 04 July 2019 - 10:18 AM.

#12 Dr_dreadful  

Dr_dreadful

Posted 04 July 2019 - 11:14 AM

Please don't feed the......whatever you call those things that comes into every single thread about any mini console  just to thoughtlessly and mindlessly drops a random comment about a pi like a dog wandering into a random yard to pinch one off and then walk off. They don't understand, they just repeat what they see others like them say  because they think it makes them witty and savvy. They regurgitate whatever the cool thing it is at the time to repeat.

Just ignore them when they show up and maybe they will go somewhere else.

#13 Dr_dreadful  

Dr_dreadful

Posted 04 July 2019 - 11:17 AM

$20 too expensive. The NES classic or whatever the first one was drove everyone mad. Very low supply + idiots clamoring for it = a clown show of the most disturbing accord. Chaos and buggery everywhere now.

I mean, if they had just made NESs, SNESs, and PS1s that functioned 100% like the original ones, you know, playing the cartridges, these things would be great. But 20-odd some emulation games for these garbage pieces of plastic is pointless.

If you hate it so much then why did you come into this thread? Oh I get it, you just wanted to shit on something online is all to get a cheap sense of self satisfaction. 

#14 josekortez   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   6834 Posts   Joined 15.6 Years Ago  

Posted 04 July 2019 - 11:36 AM

Half the fun of buying these things for me is figuring out how to make them do things that they weren't meant to do.  Any long-time gamer probably has at least one way to play these games already, so being able to hack it is the real point of buying a PS Classic.  I will eventually tire of playing around with the Classic as I do with everything else game-related that I buy, and I've wasted more than $30 on games that turned out to be less fun than the Classic is.    

#15 postaboy   OLD SKOOL CAGER CAGiversary!   1968 Posts   Joined 14.6 Years Ago  

Posted 04 July 2019 - 12:49 PM

After soft modded it, it's totally worth it and does the job pretty well. Good luck finding a emulation device for under $30. 

#16 blueArcana   Too fast for freedom CAGiversary!   1010 Posts   Joined 9.8 Years Ago  

blueArcana

Posted 04 July 2019 - 03:19 PM

Hey guys, we solved the backward compatibility problem

#17 Dark_Sage   Superior CAGiversary!   3556 Posts   Joined 11.1 Years Ago  

Posted 04 July 2019 - 03:34 PM

If you hate it so much then why did you come into this thread? Oh I get it, you just wanted to shit on something online is all to get a cheap sense of self satisfaction. 

This is a deals forum and you can expect people to talk about how good a deal is. Sometimes a product (like this one) truly is shit. Maybe you should try resetera if you don't wanna get your feelings hurt by reality.

#18 josekortez   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   6834 Posts   Joined 15.6 Years Ago  

Posted 04 July 2019 - 04:24 PM

This is sort of off-topic, but can anyone recommend the best bowling and fishing games for the PlayStation One that don't require analog controllers?  I tried the games Bowling and Ten Pin Alley this morning, but I wasn't great at either of them.  And my stepdad is a big fan of fishing in real life, so I am trying to figure out what the best fishing game is for him since I am giving him a PS Classic for his birthday on Saturday.  Sega Bass Fishing on the Dreamcast is the most fun fishing game that I've ever played even though I know that it's an arcade-type game.  Believe it or not, I was reading an issue of EGM's Video Game Buyer's Guide 2001 this morning, and I have still haven't found a good answer to my question other than a game called Bass Rise.  Thanks to anyone who has a constructive opinion to share.

#19 DesertLeo   DontReadThis. CAGiversary!   2098 Posts   Joined 11.7 Years Ago  

Posted 04 July 2019 - 05:53 PM

Screw it, grabbed one. All the ones I tried to get for less from the Navy exchange were cancelled. This is a good price for brand new.

#20 elessar123  

Posted 04 July 2019 - 05:55 PM

Please don't feed the......whatever you call those things that comes into every single thread...

Come on now.

#21 dracula   i'll buy that for a dolla CAGiversary!   5013 Posts   Joined 15.4 Years Ago  

Posted 04 July 2019 - 06:07 PM

Will wait for the pstwo classic.  Hopefully it is better made

#22 sublime90   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1181 Posts   Joined 11.8 Years Ago  

sublime90

Posted 04 July 2019 - 06:16 PM

i just so happen to be sitting on a $25 BB gift card. i only want one to sit on the shelf im not going to actually play the thing. 

#23 chubbyninja1319   Where's my stuff!? CAGiversary!   5412 Posts   Joined 15.1 Years Ago  

chubbyninja1319

Posted 04 July 2019 - 07:52 PM

Will wait for the pstwo classic.  Hopefully it is better made

After this debacle, I doubt Sony would do a PS2 classic.  Hope I'm wrong.

#24 CyborgNinja  

CyborgNinja

Posted 05 July 2019 - 12:02 AM

The PM + Cartwheel trick worked for me by adding both the PS Classic and Rotel coupons on Cartwheel, having them PM Best Buy for the PS Classic, have them add a can of Rotel to the order, then saying “I have a coupon for that” after they scan it, and have them scan your Cartwheel app barcode. Before they realize the price went from $25 to $18, you already have your credit card in the machine. And who can’t use an extra can of Rotel on standby, amirite?

#25 alextastic   keepin' it real. CAGiversary!   1090 Posts   Joined 10.4 Years Ago  

alextastic

Posted 05 July 2019 - 03:31 PM

The PM + Cartwheel trick worked for me by adding both the PS Classic and Rotel coupons on Cartwheel, having them PM Best Buy for the PS Classic, have them add a can of Rotel to the order, then saying “I have a coupon for that” after they scan it, and have them scan your Cartwheel app barcode. Before they realize the price went from $25 to $18, you already have your credit card in the machine. And who can’t use an extra can of Rotel on standby, amirite?

I've tried to do this before. One time it worked, and another time the lady straight up said "oh, but we can't use Cartwheel with price matched items, so we'd have to do a separate transaction." It really just depends on who's ringing you up.

#26 hauz20   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   999 Posts   Joined 10.0 Years Ago  

Posted 05 July 2019 - 04:15 PM

I've tried to do this before. One time it worked, and another time the lady straight up said "oh, but we can't use Cartwheel with price matched items, so we'd have to do a separate transaction." It really just depends on who's ringing you up.

Get a redcard, use it as payment through the redcard app where you've also loaded the coupon. Have them price match, and then say my payment is through the app. If you feel skittish, add a small item (like delicious Rotel) that also has a Cartwheel deal on it at that moment. 90 percent of the time, it works every time.

#27 Jodou   Infamous CAGiversary!   14305 Posts   Joined 10.6 Years Ago  

Posted 05 July 2019 - 04:35 PM

Overthinking it honestly, as just holding up the app to scan will make them think you're paying with redcard. Once it's scanned it's over since you can just insert your card and pay. One guy thought I had a gift card stored and just announced the new price without a second thought. Mentioning coupons at all will just complicate things IMO.

#28 IDreamcasterI  

IDreamcasterI

Posted 07 July 2019 - 02:31 AM

Walked out of Target paying $16.24 after PM and using the Cartwheel coupon.  Thanks OP!

#29 Titan X   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   73 Posts   Joined 13.9 Years Ago  

Posted 07 July 2019 - 05:11 AM

Price is back to $60.  Hoping their next sale will drop it to $20.

#30 Blade   Imminently Punchable CAGiversary!   14485 Posts   Joined 14.1 Years Ago  

Posted 07 July 2019 - 06:03 AM

I was one of the ones saying "just get a Pi 3 B+ retro kit on Amazon for $80 and play more games" back when it was released for $100. But it's definitely a good deal for $25, and I don't regret buying it.

It comes with two PS controllers, and it runs on USB power so you can plug it into just about anything. Hacking it with autobleem takes about 5 minutes, and you can load in retroarch for non-PSX games. The biggest bonus is that you can load games via USB hard drive right away, something that was a chore for my Pi setup as I manually had to merge SD and HDD file structures in command line. So you can have all the games you'd ever want on this thing without having to worry about SD card storage space. And the case looks nice right next to my NES case Pi 3 B+. Only complaint is that the controllers aren't Dualshock, and some games require the sticks to play.

Best deal for a retro system to hack. It doesn't do well with 3DO, N64, or Saturn, but everything else runs great. The smoothing and forced higher rez make Tomba look better than I remember. And compare $25 to the $80 NES Pi Canakit, or at least $150 for an Odroid XU4 N64 kit.