* * * - - 26 votes

PSN Weekly Deals - 10/14: Halloween & Games Under $20 Sales! $39 NBA 2K21 Deal of the Week!

#8491 CritcalJ   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   151 Posts   Joined 9.1 Years Ago  

CritcalJ

Posted 16 October 2020 - 11:53 PM

Though I own it, I haven't played Witcher 3 yet, so I can't speak for that game in particular, but I have to admit that I'm not a fan of when games try to shove some kind of message down your throat, whether it's requiring you to make a moral choice or anything else.

Like, I just played through Mad Max a couple weeks ago and there are literally hundreds of collectables that you need to pick up if you want to plat the game.  One of them are "History Relics" (photographs of a time before the apocalypse.)  After damn near every single one of them, Max makes some kind of cynical comment about how much better the world was back then.  Like picking up a postcard of a couple on the beach and he'll be all, "There was a time when water was plentiful; who'd have known what we'd do to it."  After the first couple times, you think, "Yeah, sucks about what happened."  After a dozen times, it's turned into, "Yeah, Max, we get it, the environment is important, give it a rest."  After 103 times, you just want to yell, "Shut up, Max! You deserve the crapsack world you're stuck in!"

But yeah, I don't want some kind of moral choice to constantly be thrown at me, like they're trying to constantly make me feel bad about making poor choices.  I like the classic style of storytelling that prevailed up until the 90s before everything had to have gray-and-gray morality.  I don't want to know the sad tale of why Ganon or Kefka or any other villain wants to destroy their world, I don't want to feel sympathy for them and I definitely don't want to redeem them.  I guess I just like my heroes to be good and my villains to be evil.

I had Witcher 3 in the backlog for a while.  Started playing it a 2 months back and I am on the final few missions in the last DLC.  It's a good game that takes forever to play.  There is so much content, some of which requires you to make moral choices.  Not so much that it detracts from the overall game in my opinion.

To each his or her own.

Two things: 

1.  The horse controls suck; racing sucks.

2.  Save before you do the abandoned inn.

#8492 Moofboy   CAG in Training CAGiversary!   541 Posts   Joined 8.2 Years Ago  

Posted 17 October 2020 - 01:40 AM

Though I own it, I haven't played Witcher 3 yet, so I can't speak for that game in particular, but I have to admit that I'm not a fan of when games try to shove some kind of message down your throat, whether it's requiring you to make a moral choice or anything else.

Like, I just played through Mad Max a couple weeks ago and there are literally hundreds of collectables that you need to pick up if you want to plat the game. One of them are "History Relics" (photographs of a time before the apocalypse.) After damn near every single one of them, Max makes some kind of cynical comment about how much better the world was back then. Like picking up a postcard of a couple on the beach and he'll be all, "There was a time when water was plentiful; who'd have known what we'd do to it." After the first couple times, you think, "Yeah, sucks about what happened." After a dozen times, it's turned into, "Yeah, Max, we get it, the environment is important, give it a rest." After 103 times, you just want to yell, "Shut up, Max! You deserve the crapsack world you're stuck in!"

But yeah, I don't want some kind of moral choice to constantly be thrown at me, like they're trying to constantly make me feel bad about making poor choices. I like the classic style of storytelling that prevailed up until the 90s before everything had to have gray-and-gray morality. I don't want to know the sad tale of why Ganon or Kefka or any other villain wants to destroy their world, I don't want to feel sympathy for them and I definitely don't want to redeem them. I guess I just like my heroes to be good and my villains to be evil.

I was almost 20 hours in before I realized he would comment... just skip them.

#8493 Jodou   Infamous CAGiversary!   15132 Posts   Joined 11.8 Years Ago  

Posted 17 October 2020 - 03:18 AM

I wonder how much business best buy lost when they got rid of GCU... I used to go there quite often due to their great sale prices, which would cause me to browse other isles, even bought a fridge there once. Only been there maybe twice since for games under $10.

I’ve 100% shifted to Target since losing GCU. Red card and circle coupons have made comparable deals, or even better ones. Do not miss Best Buy at all now.

#8494 psunami   0118999881999119725.....3 CAGiversary!   3613 Posts   Joined 16.9 Years Ago  

Posted 17 October 2020 - 03:29 AM

I’ve 100% shifted to Target since losing GCU. Red card and circle coupons have made comparable deals, or even better ones. Do not miss Best Buy at all now.

I feel like I will be there also once I lose my GCU account (sometime next year.)   I'm also starting to transition to Steam for  most gaming... so there is that too.  

#8495 Sonic9jct   Wubba lubba dub dub CAGiversary!   340 Posts   Joined 12.4 Years Ago  

Sonic9jct

Posted 17 October 2020 - 04:21 AM

100% agreed. It's wild how much B2G1's overlap with extra 5-10% off coupons along with red card and other random circle coupons. I've pre-ordered most of my new game through target at 40-35% off each time, not too hard if you're vigilant enough. Good riddance to BB

#8496 the_ENEMY_   Undead CAGiversary!   1296 Posts   Joined 10.4 Years Ago  

the_ENEMY_

Posted 17 October 2020 - 04:15 PM

you guys are making me want to get a redcard. i had one to buy a vita, but never activated it because i got an email saying their stuff was breached.

#8497 Jodou   Infamous CAGiversary!   15132 Posts   Joined 11.8 Years Ago  

Posted 17 October 2020 - 08:29 PM

100% agreed. It's wild how much B2G1's overlap with extra 5-10% off coupons along with red card and other random circle coupons. I've pre-ordered most of my new game through target at 40-35% off each time, not too hard if you're vigilant enough. Good riddance to BB

That and the cancel trick has been amazing for years now. I'm convinced they'll never close the loophole and used it recently to pre-order LotR and Hobbit 4k sets for $55 each. Why? I have no fucking clue other for them to be on my shelf lol. The power of a deal. . . :bomb:

#8498 Jodou   Infamous CAGiversary!   15132 Posts   Joined 11.8 Years Ago  

Posted 17 October 2020 - 08:32 PM

you guys are making me want to get a redcard. i had one to buy a vita, but never activated it because i got an email saying their stuff was breached.

Definitely hear that, I refused for years even though it would have saved me some money. Now that I shop there far more frequently, it just made sense. I will say this: WAIT until they offer a promo before signing up again. Latest one was $40 off $40 but we may see an even better one in time for Christmas. That was the one mistake I made when signing up because they offered something like that literally a week after I applied. It had just completely slipped my mind at the time.

#8499 MrRidickulous   Deal skeptic! CAGiversary!   2081 Posts   Joined 6.2 Years Ago  

MrRidickulous

Posted 17 October 2020 - 10:01 PM

Call me crazy but the Cold War beta is good stuff. I was never a treyarch claimed but damn. It also looks stupid good on the PS4 pro. Just made me a purchaser.

#8500 gospelman   Irreducibly Complex CAGiversary!   2863 Posts   Joined 11.2 Years Ago  

Posted 18 October 2020 - 12:21 AM

Or like when you think you’ve defeated an enemy and they return back after a week and are even more powerful than the first time you banished them. Love that.

Thankfully there are mods that address such an obnoxious gameplay mechanic.

#8501 RiPPn  

Posted 18 October 2020 - 01:20 AM

Please say it's a perm this time, this has been one of the best weeks on this site in all threads they usually frequent.

#8502 ETInfinite   Banned Banned   3 Posts   Joined 0.0 Years Ago  

ETInfinite

Posted 18 October 2020 - 01:39 AM

Yeah, they really do a great job of keeping the trouble makers out around here.

#8503 RiPPn  

Posted 18 October 2020 - 01:42 AM

Yeah, they really do a great job of keeping the trouble makers out around here.

Another alt?

#8504 SpraykwoN   the Chef CAGiversary!   3776 Posts   Joined 6.8 Years Ago  

Posted 18 October 2020 - 01:47 AM

Call me crazy but the Cold War beta is good stuff. I was never a treyarch claimed but damn. It also looks stupid good on the PS4 pro. Just made me a purchaser.

Played it a bit today and I dunno how I feel about it tbh. Some of the kills feel super cheap. Also it takes like 5 seconds to throw a fucking grenade lol. I think it needs work but has potential. To me, MW is much better in terms of polish.

#8505 bee01   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   868 Posts   Joined 16.1 Years Ago  

Posted 18 October 2020 - 02:08 AM

The Black Ops beta convinced me to not buy COD this year.

#8506 sleepwalkingninja  

sleepwalkingninja

Posted 18 October 2020 - 05:09 PM

Another alt?

He admits to it in one of his posts. Disappointing.

#8507 elitewillie   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   3209 Posts   Joined 14.0 Years Ago  

elitewillie

Posted 18 October 2020 - 05:23 PM

What have I missed? Lol.

Figure it out. He posted something on one of the steam threads about being a victim. Lol

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

#8508 FriskyTanuki   I have a piano CAGiversary!   70429 Posts   Joined 17.2 Years Ago  

FriskyTanuki

Posted 18 October 2020 - 06:35 PM

#8509 MR_E   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1964 Posts   Joined 15.0 Years Ago  

Posted 18 October 2020 - 08:17 PM

To me, MW is much better in terms of polish.

But you can swim in the pool in Miami and seem to jump higher if you jump off the diving board!

#8510 nadohawk   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1046 Posts   Joined 10.6 Years Ago  

Posted 18 October 2020 - 10:45 PM

What is the deal with Sony not having a massive PS3/PSP/Vita sale right before de-listing from the website? They would make a ton off people panic buying.

#8511 AoA   Ace of Aces CAGiversary!   1787 Posts   Joined 13.3 Years Ago  

Posted 18 October 2020 - 10:51 PM

I would've really liked Puzzle Quest PSP/Vita to go on sale so I could buy another version of it.

I swear this time I'll play it.

#8512 Moofboy   CAG in Training CAGiversary!   541 Posts   Joined 8.2 Years Ago  

Posted 18 October 2020 - 10:56 PM

I was hoping to grab the psp Ys games to play on Vita. Oh well.

#8513 AoA   Ace of Aces CAGiversary!   1787 Posts   Joined 13.3 Years Ago  

Posted 18 October 2020 - 11:00 PM

Hot damn!  I just had some loose neurons fire in my brain and I remembered that I bought the PC version of Puzzle Quest TEN years ago from Big Fish Games.  It's still in my purchase history.  I can download it again for free!!!!!

I probably won't though.  I mean I'd have to install their whole Big Fish game installer thing.

#8514 mitch079   Mumm-Ra shares with no one! CAGiversary!   12834 Posts   Joined 16.4 Years Ago  

Posted 18 October 2020 - 11:20 PM

They're still there if you search  https://store.playst...rt=release_date

#8515 AoA   Ace of Aces CAGiversary!   1787 Posts   Joined 13.3 Years Ago  

Posted 18 October 2020 - 11:24 PM

I own Ys Oath in Felghana.  I'm pretty sure it was a PS+ game at some point.

Maybe you have it and don't even know it?

#8516 Lithium Flower   Just about to bloom CAGiversary!   54 Posts   Joined 2.4 Years Ago  

Lithium Flower

Posted 19 October 2020 - 12:59 AM

What is the deal with Sony not having a massive PS3/PSP/Vita sale right before de-listing from the website? They would make a ton off people panic buying.

Yep. Would've loved to buy Yakuza: Dead Souls at a big discount before Like a Dragon comes out. 

#8517 Ervgotti85   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1074 Posts   Joined 10.5 Years Ago  

Posted 19 October 2020 - 01:11 AM

Yep. Would've loved to buy Yakuza: Dead Souls at a big discount before Like a Dragon comes out.

They had a huge discount last Halloween.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#8518 Moofboy   CAG in Training CAGiversary!   541 Posts   Joined 8.2 Years Ago  

Posted 19 October 2020 - 04:35 AM

They're still there if you search https://store.playst...rt=release_date

I had been holding out for a sale... honestly kind of thought (like many others) there would have been some kind of blowout sale just to make some $.
Also, checked for Oath... no dice. My ps+ did lapse for 2 or 3 months at one point, so that figures. Looks like I have a monster hunter for psp though. Might have to download that.

#8519 Das_Regal   oh god CAGiversary!   1141 Posts   Joined 10.8 Years Ago  

Posted 19 October 2020 - 06:06 AM

If they're delisting them because they aren't selling enough to justify the effort of keeping them around in the redesign, then it's not surprising that they aren't going to have a sale. Besides, it's not as though you'll be unable to buy anything going forward; it's just going to be a bit more annoying because you have to use the native shop applications.

#8520 Mister Squirrel   I play in traffic CAGiversary!   599 Posts   Joined 5.7 Years Ago  

Mister Squirrel

Posted 19 October 2020 - 11:24 AM

I have a really strange issue on the ps3’s console store for a while now where nothing shows a price or even the “buy” button. There is actually nothing viewable under the game’s picture on any of the individual product pages. Nothing shows to even download demos or whatever else is usually listed there. The other weird part is if you click down you can tell that something invisible is being highlighted in the empty space and if you click X it will add the game to my cart, but I’ve tried this on games I know for a fact that I own digitally and it still adds them to the cart to make a purchase. I don’t think this is console specific either as it happens with any ps3 I log my account into. I’ve tried Google searching from time to time and I can’t find anyone else with this issue either. All the other suggestions people make about the store like deleting it and redownloading, trying options in safe mode, and even full system restores don’t help. I’m really going to miss the web store and the app! lol