* * * - - 31 votes

PSN Weekly Deals - 2/10: Big in Japan Sale ends 2/25, Critics' Choice Sale ends 2/18! NBA 2K21 Deal of the Week!

#10201 bigbadboaz   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   437 Posts   Joined 17.8 Years Ago  

bigbadboaz

Posted 24 January 2021 - 09:31 PM

Charging for a service is anti-consumer? I want to live in your fantasy land where everything is free.

:D  It's modern CAG, get used to it.

#10202 keyblader1985   Wait, what? CAGiversary!   3823 Posts   Joined 8.6 Years Ago  

keyblader1985

Posted 25 January 2021 - 02:08 AM

Charging by default unless you remember to explicitly say not to is anti-consumer. I know I'd be pissed of I went to a restaurant and they decided to keep bringing and charging me for food because I didn't specifically tell them not to do that.

#10203 bee01   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   1184 Posts   Joined 17.0 Years Ago  

Posted 25 January 2021 - 02:17 AM

Replacement laser from eBay seems to have fixed my PS2 slim.

Shipping out my OG PlayStation tomorrow to have a PS1Digital HDMI mod and XStation ODE installed.

#10204 CAiNiAC   ~Baby got Backlog~ CAGiversary!   5092 Posts   Joined 11.6 Years Ago  

Posted 25 January 2021 - 07:34 AM

Charging by default unless you remember to explicitly say not to is anti-consumer. I know I'd be pissed of I went to a restaurant and they decided to keep bringing and charging me for food because I didn't specifically tell them not to do that.

I don't believe I have ever seen a free trial that works this way without giving you the disclaimer that you must cancel before the trial ends or else you will be enrolled/charged. They give fair warning, the average consumer just likes to click through without reading and then pretend it wasn't they're fault.

#10205 Souffrir   Eternally Training CAG CAGiversary!   5747 Posts   Joined 8.8 Years Ago  

Posted 25 January 2021 - 09:27 AM

I don't believe I have ever seen a free trial that works this way without giving you the disclaimer that you must cancel before the trial ends or else you will be enrolled/charged. They give fair warning, the average consumer just likes to click through without reading and then pretend it wasn't they're fault.

Let’s be honest:

People need to actually pay attention to what they’re doing and what they’re signing up for, and be responsible enough with their own money to remember to manage the things they sign up for, no question. Getting suckered into paying for something they didn’t necessarily want in these cases is absolutely their own fault.

But these companies also know there are a lot of people who don’t, and that’s the entire reason these promo periods work the way they do, to prey on the unobservant and the forgetful.

That much I can accept as part of human nature—on both ends. But when you start charging a nominal admission price on top of capitalizing on those inevitably unobservant or forgetful people, that just seems like adding insult to injury.

#10206 camoor   Jams on foot fires CAGiversary!   15292 Posts   Joined 17.7 Years Ago  

Posted 25 January 2021 - 01:06 PM

This last sale was pretty good, I just miss the weekly sales and the flash sales. Come on Sony publishers, now that the PS5 is out you gotta slash those PS4 prices at a more frequent clip. Gotta sell them while you still can...

#10207 Linkachu  

Linkachu

Posted 25 January 2021 - 03:42 PM

Any recommendations with current sales? I have $25 to burn.

#10208 flybrione   Guitar Solo CAGiversary!   3835 Posts   Joined 17.6 Years Ago  

Posted 25 January 2021 - 05:12 PM

I picked up Forgotton Anne and Roundguard.

I'm still debating on Ray's the Dead but I've heard it has some issues.

#10209 gdog   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   33 Posts   Joined 9.9 Years Ago  

Posted 25 January 2021 - 06:20 PM

how long are we thinking before we see a sale on Miles morales?

#10210 Chainsaw_charlie   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   630 Posts   Joined 14.8 Years Ago  

Chainsaw_charlie

Posted 25 January 2021 - 07:04 PM

Yakuza 0 

#10211 nitrosmob   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   10702 Posts   Joined 15.1 Years Ago  

Posted 25 January 2021 - 07:24 PM

how long are we thinking before we see a sale on Miles morales?

May or June I'm guessing likely going for about 30% off. About 6 months is usual for a game not Ubisoft to start really going down in price.

#10212 Linkachu  

Linkachu

Posted 25 January 2021 - 09:30 PM

I picked up Forgotton Anne and Roundguard.
I'm still debating on Ray's the Dead but I've heard it has some issues.

I’ll check em out, thanks!

#10213 Linkachu  

Linkachu

Posted 25 January 2021 - 09:30 PM

Yakuza 0

Cool. Is that the best game in the series by chance?

#10214 shadowysea07   Cjenvy I'm ready for you awd this time I'm wearing pants CAGiversary!   6567 Posts   Joined 8.3 Years Ago  

shadowysea07

Posted 25 January 2021 - 10:06 PM

Cool. Is that the best game in the series by chance?

It's the cheapest one on sale and the first one in the 7 games for the kiryu entries.

#10215 Souffrir   Eternally Training CAG CAGiversary!   5747 Posts   Joined 8.8 Years Ago  

Posted 25 January 2021 - 10:30 PM

and the first one in the 7 games for the kiryu entries.

I mean, no, not really. Chronologically it’s first, but it’s absolutely a prequel, there’s the assumption built in that you’ve played at least a little of the series before it.

It’s probably better to start with Kiwami or maybe a later entry first to get familiar with Kiryu and Majima. I feel like even Kiwami isn’t the best place to start for Majima, honesty, all the additions sort of undermine his character unless you’re already familiar with him.

#10216 Omni99  

Posted 25 January 2021 - 10:47 PM

I mean, no, not really. Chronologically it’s first, but it’s absolutely a prequel, there’s the assumption built in that you’ve played at least a little of the series before it.

It’s probably better to start with Kiwami or maybe a later entry first to get familiar with Kiryu and Majima. I feel like even Kiwami isn’t the best place to start for Majima, honesty, all the additions sort of undermine his character unless you’re already familiar with him.

I started with Zero and I didn't feel lost at all. For a prequel I think it's unusually good at being accessible.

#10217 nitrosmob   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   10702 Posts   Joined 15.1 Years Ago  

Posted 26 January 2021 - 12:53 AM

I think Yakuza 0 helps a lot before Kiwami, because going in to it by itself is a little rough. I'm not talking gameplay wise, but story and character wise. 0 has some of the best gameplay so it may ruin future enteries, but I like seeing how the gameplay evolved through the games, and still like the older ones.

#10218 SpraykwoN   the Chef CAGiversary!   4097 Posts   Joined 7.7 Years Ago  

Posted 26 January 2021 - 01:42 AM

The new PSN store is such a pile of shit.  Jesus

#10219 elessar123  

Posted 26 January 2021 - 02:01 AM

Did they add features to the old wishlist? I had a game pop up with a Remove button because I already own it. I don't recall that before.

#10220 SpraykwoN   the Chef CAGiversary!   4097 Posts   Joined 7.7 Years Ago  

Posted 26 January 2021 - 04:51 AM

Did they add features to the old wishlist? I had a game pop up with a Remove button because I already own it. I don't recall that before.

I can’t even download games via the web or mobile App Store lol. Shit is junk.

#10221 yourmomsnewboyfriend   Deal skeptic! CAGiversary!   2148 Posts   Joined 7.1 Years Ago  

yourmomsnewboyfriend

Posted 26 January 2021 - 02:55 PM

It really pisses me of that I can open the ps app go to store and instantly see deals section but that section doesn’t exist on the ps5 store.

#10222 Ex~   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1092 Posts   Joined 13.4 Years Ago  

Posted 26 January 2021 - 03:44 PM

No free or discounted trials can let you try shit without credit cards. That way if you like it, you sign up, if you don’t you don’t. None of this oops it renewed and there’s no refunds. Fuck that anti consumer shit. If you think that’s how things works that’s sad. Shit needs to change. Where’s Ralph Nader?

Ralph Nader is one option. I agree that practices which rely on getting people to forget something/do something accidently that they didn't mean to, are abusive and immoral. It's pretty disgusting that so many people on this board jump on the "people just need to be responsible and know what they're signing up for" horseshit. Shows how far degenerated and abusive our society has become.

That being said, there is another option to deal with these practices besides Ralph Nader and legislation: the credit card company can institute policies protecting their cardholders. MasterCard, for example, has specific requirements about contacting the consumer to get consent to charge before a free trial period ends, and if the company charges at the end of a free trial period without consent MasterCard will charge back, ultimately with the option of pulling their contract. 

Other free-market solutions are a bit shittier, but do exist, like services which allow you to create limited-time-access credit card numbers that would expire before the trial period ends. Of course, the very fact that such services even exist is quite a testament to how degenerate and anti-consumer the business practices in use today have been allowed to get.

#10223 Ervgotti85   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1152 Posts   Joined 11.4 Years Ago  

Posted 26 January 2021 - 04:11 PM

No free or discounted trials can let you try shit without credit cards. That way if you like it, you sign up, if you don’t you don’t. None of this oops it renewed and there’s no refunds. Fuck that anti consumer shit. If you think that’s how things works that’s sad. Shit needs to change. Where’s Ralph Nader?

You would be onto something if adding an empty or almost empty gift card wasn’t an option.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#10224 Linkachu  

Linkachu

Posted 26 January 2021 - 07:53 PM

Can anyone share if they're using PS Now on a regular, non-gaming, i5 or better laptop/desktop and if it's worth it experience-wise? Or, if you have an affordable tablet you'd recommend using it with?

#10225 bigbadboaz   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   437 Posts   Joined 17.8 Years Ago  

bigbadboaz

Posted 26 January 2021 - 09:12 PM

It's pretty disgusting that so many people on this board jump on the "people just need to be responsible and know what they're signing up for" horseshit. Shows how far degenerated and abusive our society has become.

You can be on either side of this debate, but equating the (more than valid) idea that people need to take responsibility for their own finances with "a degenerate and abusive society" is just ridiculous.

I'd argue that idea is what's causing a lot of societal problems.

#10226 pun123   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   3516 Posts   Joined 16.2 Years Ago  

Posted 26 January 2021 - 10:32 PM

Just read this article, another reason GoT should be GOTY, great game, stunning.....

https://techraptor.n...source=readnext

#10227 Souffrir   Eternally Training CAG CAGiversary!   5747 Posts   Joined 8.8 Years Ago  

Posted 26 January 2021 - 11:34 PM

Just read this article, another reason GoT should be GOTY, great game, stunning.....

https://techraptor.n...source=readnext

I’m not sure which one you’re talking about, but frankly I don’t think any of the Game of Thrones games are all that good.

#10228 GamerSavage   The Throwback Kid CAGiversary!   1727 Posts   Joined 9.1 Years Ago  

GamerSavage

Posted 26 January 2021 - 11:42 PM

I’m not sure which one you’re talking about, but frankly I don’t think any of the Game of Thrones games are all that good.

GoT in this case is Ghost of Tsushima, not Game of Thrones. Every time I see GoT I immediately think Game of Thrones too. Takes me a minute to realize that's not what is being referenced, lol.

#10229 Ervgotti85   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1152 Posts   Joined 11.4 Years Ago  

Posted 27 January 2021 - 12:13 AM

GoT in this case is Ghost of Tsushima, not Game of Thrones. Every time I see GoT I immediately think Game of Thrones too. Takes me a minute to realize that's not what is being referenced, lol.

It’s just like when someone puts GOW which could mean Gears of War or God of War.

#10230 GamerSavage   The Throwback Kid CAGiversary!   1727 Posts   Joined 9.1 Years Ago  

GamerSavage

Posted 27 January 2021 - 12:24 AM

It’s just like when someone puts GOW which could mean Gears of War or God of War.

Yep, and it took me a minute with this too.