* * * - - 23 votes

PSN Weekly Deals - 7/22: Summer Sale! $21 Control, $20 Chocobo's MD, $6 Dandara, $5 Dirt 4/Rally, $6 Doom, $30 DQB2, & More!

#5611 gospelman   Irreducibly Complex CAGiversary!   2689 Posts   Joined 11.0 Years Ago  

Posted 13 June 2020 - 11:35 PM

Gotta ask again: is Death Stranding deluxe worth the $31?

No.

If you don't game on pc and you enjoy kojima / open world / pretentiously weird games, then yeah, buy the standard edition game.  It's pretty good.

The deluxe version just adds a couple of useless, ugly cosmetic equipment options, a bunch of avatars, and such

#5612 topchief1   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   474 Posts   Joined 12.2 Years Ago  

topchief1

Posted 13 June 2020 - 11:44 PM

I still have my Olevia 35 inch 1080i from Target for black friday from 2006, i paid $550 for. It's my "HDTV" for my 5th and 6th gen systems. Sometimes it takes its damn time to turn on, but still works fine when it eventually does.

#5613 BryanDGAF   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   1182 Posts   Joined 8.1 Years Ago  

Posted 13 June 2020 - 11:45 PM

Gotta ask again: is Death Stranding deluxe worth the $31?

unless you care about the cool chibi avatar. The in game bonuses are nothing but cosmetic. Cool sure but I sure didn't care about mine. Idk if it has a digital album or not but I listen to the soundtrack on spotify so that settles that

#5614 Tyrok   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   2712 Posts   Joined 12.6 Years Ago  

Posted 14 June 2020 - 12:05 AM

There's no way they add backwards compatibility for PS1-3 games by inserting your old discs because there's no way to monetize it. Sure they can offer download versions but those systems have tons of games and figuring out licensing would be a nightmare not worth doing in the end. Sony will continue to remaster select games and offer ports like the PS2 games on PS4.

#5615 Babysinclair   Banned Banned   44 Posts   Joined 0.2 Years Ago  

Babysinclair

Posted 14 June 2020 - 12:10 AM

I believe it will be fully backwards compatible maybe not at launch but within its cycle because most people don’t even own those games anymore, I know I have random old games here and there. The market really doesn’t care for old titles.

#5616 Thebacklash   Now Drinking: Minor Case Rye Whiskey - Sherry Cask Finished CAGiversary!   3124 Posts   Joined 5.7 Years Ago  

Thebacklash

Posted 14 June 2020 - 12:31 AM

I haven’t been paying attention to the ps5 much.. I figured that the BC was not just streaming with psnow.

#5617 the_ENEMY_   Undead CAGiversary!   1265 Posts   Joined 10.2 Years Ago  

the_ENEMY_

Posted 14 June 2020 - 01:05 AM

paying a little more for a disc reader is great for several reasons, especially as a cheapass.

1: borrowing games. ever done this? its like a free rental! Or just returning a game to gamestop within 7 days for another "free" rental.

2: resale. made back a couple thousand over the years reselling games ive beaten. Some ive gotten so cheap ive actually resold for more than ive paid.

3: movies. Not everything is on netflix and redbox is like a buck.

4: sometimes the disc is cheaper than the download. Clearance / black friday especially. This year I got some black friday games that still haven't been that cheap digitally.

Saving $100 by going without a disc drive will most likely cause me to lose money in the long run.

#5618 bee01   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   710 Posts   Joined 15.9 Years Ago  

Posted 14 June 2020 - 01:12 AM

I would love an optional external Blu-ray drive.  The optical disc drive is one of the most common points of failure.

#5619 Zantra  

Posted 14 June 2020 - 01:39 AM

I get tons of Blu Rays and DVDs from Dollar Tree of obscure movies and TV shows. Not being able to watch them on a console is a pain, but not a deal breaker, as I have another five or six consoles that can still play them.

#5620 FinderKeeper   Eternal n00b CAGiversary!   316 Posts   Joined 9.5 Years Ago  

FinderKeeper

Posted 14 June 2020 - 02:13 AM

Buying at launch you have to also consider that selling/trading your old system has more value than waiting for a price drop. Specially if systems are still hard to find if this pandemic sticks around or gets a second wave.

I have the 500 million Pro so I'm still debating what to do with it, if PS5 is a good price I might just give it to my son and sell his base ps4.

Sent from my SM-S102DL using Tapatalk

I had the Days of Play gold PS4 slim until I sold it last year when I hit a rough financial patch.

Now my situation is stable again, but it just happened to come in the middle of the pandemic and 'stay at home' boom in console sales. It's hard to find a new PS4 of any sort in stores, special edition or otherwise. And of course Sony decided not to come out with a special PS4 console for Days of Play this year, when I'm ready to get one. But I'm not planning on getting a PS5 either...I usually wait until the slim version of the consoles are out, so I'd much rather stick with a PS4 slim or Pro for a few years.

There are other Days of Play PS4 slims on the resale market, but that 500 million edition Pro is pretty sweet. You'd make quite a bit more money selling it than the base PS4... does it run hot/loud as other Pros apparently do?

:-

#5621 Bryson   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   267 Posts   Joined 8.6 Years Ago  

Posted 14 June 2020 - 02:28 AM

Saving $100 by going without a disc drive will most likely cause me to lose money in the long run.

I doubt the price difference between the disc and digital version of the PS5 will be $100. At most it'll be $50.  Wholesale an optical drive costs Sony... what? $15?

#5622 knothead65  

Posted 14 June 2020 - 02:54 AM

Not only that, they only support M2 drives that are at or above the speed of the internal drive, and will obviously only be able to be connected via the dedicated port on the back (presumably only one port as well). Oh, and these aren't cheap.

In other words, we aren't going to see that 2TB digital version for $400 unless the disc version is also that price. Any cost-savings you would get from buying digital would be negated with the cost of the larger drive.

I could be wrong but I'm pretty sure Cerny mentioned during the deep dive, that you can put a drive in the console but drives aren't out yet and they will test them and give out a list.

This cnet article says there is bay in the PS5 for a drive.

https://www.cnet.com...sd-gpu-details/

#5623 knothead65  

Posted 14 June 2020 - 03:04 AM

I had the Days of Play gold PS4 slim until I sold it last year when I hit a rough financial patch.

Now my situation is stable again, but it just happened to come in the middle of the pandemic and 'stay at home' boom in console sales. It's hard to find a new PS4 of any sort in stores, special edition or otherwise. And of course Sony decided not to come out with a special PS4 console for Days of Play this year, when I'm ready to get one. But I'm not planning on getting a PS5 either...I usually wait until the slim version of the consoles are out, so I'd much rather stick with a PS4 slim or Pro for a few years.

There are other Days of Play PS4 slims on the resale market, but that 500 million edition Pro is pretty sweet. You'd make quite a bit more money selling it than the base PS4... does it run hot/loud as other Pros apparently do?

:-

I never really hear it but then again I have a sound bar that shakes my walls. I guess should pay more attention to it lol. I have it on the stand that came with it so its vertical and has lots of space around it. Have the matching headset too which is pretty sweet. I bought the copper dualshock4 as my 2nd controller and it goes real good with the copper number and accents on the console.

#5624 Pheran   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   1486 Posts   Joined 15.7 Years Ago  

Posted 14 June 2020 - 03:31 AM

At this point I’m expecting whoever announces price second to come in $1 lower, Price Is Right style.

Five hundred ninety-eight US dollars!!

#5625 Babysinclair   Banned Banned   44 Posts   Joined 0.2 Years Ago  

Babysinclair

Posted 14 June 2020 - 03:38 AM

$1 bob 😂😂😂

#5626 aircobra   The Wind CAGiversary!   3624 Posts   Joined 12.2 Years Ago  

Posted 14 June 2020 - 04:02 AM

I could be wrong but I'm pretty sure Cerny mentioned during the deep dive, that you can put a drive in the console but drives aren't out yet and they will test them and give out a list.

This cnet article says there is bay in the PS5 for a drive.

https://www.cnet.com...sd-gpu-details/

I'm a bit surprised they didn't show off the back of the PS5. I get the console is built like a pistachio but I would prefer not to have to open it up just to add an extra drive. At least with the Series X, it has a dedicated port at the back for the expansion storage. Could have sworn it is the same for PS5 but maybe not given what the M2 drives look like.

#5627 Zenax[zd]   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   678 Posts   Joined 11.9 Years Ago  

Zenax[zd]

Posted 14 June 2020 - 04:27 AM

4: sometimes the disc is cheaper than the download. Clearance / black friday especially. This year I got some black friday games that still haven't been that cheap digitally

Not even sometimes these days, it's almost always. I just buy wherever is cheaper like a true cheap ass and over the past year I've only bought 1 game digitally that can also be gotten physically. It's not even a competition really, a lot of games I have found physical for half of what their all time cheapest price on PSN has been. Then on top of that you have walmart and amazon to a lesser extent doing $10 off new releases so it feels like a rip off to buy new games digitally.

#5628 knothead65  

Posted 14 June 2020 - 04:29 AM

I'm a bit surprised they didn't show off the back of the PS5. I get the console is built like a pistachio but I would prefer not to have to open it up just to add an extra drive. At least with the Series X, it has a dedicated port at the back for the expansion storage. Could have sworn it is the same for PS5 but maybe not given what the M2 drives look like.

Series X has Proprietary SSD Cards for expansion, haven't seen anything about how much storage they have or how much they may cost. Any drive Sony approves/lists will be expensive too but there may be more options/brands in the future which may lower the price eventually.

I never changed a drive in a PS4 but I heard/read it's easy. The Pro has a thing on the back to open and swap the drive out. Maybe it's similar to that but not swapping a drive just inserting one?

#5629 bee01   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   710 Posts   Joined 15.9 Years Ago  

Posted 14 June 2020 - 04:47 AM

$1 bob

Stadia has entered the chat.

#5630 shadowysea07   Cjenvy I'm ready for you awd this time I'm wearing pants CAGiversary!   5425 Posts   Joined 7.2 Years Ago  

shadowysea07

Posted 14 June 2020 - 04:50 AM

I think we're overlooking the big question that hasn't been addressed yet.  What color will the game cases be?  PS3 was clear, PS4 was blue...  Personally, I really want purple.

It'd be pretty cool.  I'd be cool with any colors that haven't been commonly used before.  

They should go green while Microsoft goes blue. Confuse everyone.

I was thinking that myself.  But they had greatest hits cases with the green labels back in the ps1 generation though.

#5631 shadowysea07   Cjenvy I'm ready for you awd this time I'm wearing pants CAGiversary!   5425 Posts   Joined 7.2 Years Ago  

shadowysea07

Posted 14 June 2020 - 04:55 AM

$400-600 is a decent chunk of money but that’s not even the issue since you’ll use the box a long time. The real issue is the same as it is with every console launch. It’s the fact that everything is priced at the maximum level. You don’t buy a console and sit it on a shelf and wait for games to depreciate. You buy 2-4 game with it. If you’re lucky 1-2 of those would be ones you actually want. The quality of many games at launch tend to be lackluster and many for the first two years are remasters. Most people will buy the console, maybe 3 games, and an extra controller and will end up spending 800-1000. Then you get to play the waiting game. Six months for the next set of games. Last time Sony claimed they had tons of games in their launch window but their launch window was 18 months! In fact, I think they did that the last two times.

Plus we all know the slim version will be better anyway.  Only reason I could see buying one at launch is if they pulled a ps3 again and the launch phat ps5 had bc while all others didn't.

#5632 FriskyTanuki   I have a piano CAGiversary!   70186 Posts   Joined 17.0 Years Ago  

FriskyTanuki

Posted 14 June 2020 - 05:10 AM

Series X has Proprietary SSD Cards for expansion, haven't seen anything about how much storage they have or how much they may cost. Any drive Sony approves/lists will be expensive too but there may be more options/brands in the future which may lower the price eventually.

I never changed a drive in a PS4 but I heard/read it's easy. The Pro has a thing on the back to open and swap the drive out. Maybe it's similar to that but not swapping a drive just inserting one?

Yeah, the internal drive stays in there for both, but they'll have an expansion slot for a second drive.

#5633 aircobra   The Wind CAGiversary!   3624 Posts   Joined 12.2 Years Ago  

Posted 14 June 2020 - 05:11 AM

They each only allow one expansion storage. Which is pretty lame given how large games already are.

#5634 Souffrir   Eternally Training CAG CAGiversary!   5037 Posts   Joined 7.7 Years Ago  

Posted 14 June 2020 - 05:15 AM

All this hype about internal read speeds is starting to sound more and more like an excuse to limit storage expansion options again. This is starting to feel a bit like 7th generation 2: Electric Boogaloo.

#5635 RiPPn  

Posted 14 June 2020 - 06:04 AM

I doubt the price difference between the disc and digital version of the PS5 will be $100. At most it'll be $50.  Wholesale an optical drive costs Sony... what? $15?

Anything less than $100 difference and it isn't worth it for the consumer, the Xbox One SAD proved this.  They know they will make the difference up in overpriced digital sales so they can take an additional loss on the digital version.  Also the disk version isn't going to be $599, they were slaughtered with that price even though they had a cheaper PS3 alternative.  I'd wager the most the disk version will be $550 and the difference will be $100.  I stand by $500/$400 as they said at the PS4 launch that $400 is the console sweet spot and the all digital version was the only way to get there.

#5636 Moofboy   CAG in Training CAGiversary!   498 Posts   Joined 8.0 Years Ago  

Posted 14 June 2020 - 06:12 AM

Anything less than $100 difference and it isn't worth it for the consumer, the Xbox One SAD proved this. They know they will make the difference up in overpriced digital sales so they can take an additional loss on the digital version. Also the disk version isn't going to be $599, they were slaughtered with that price even though they had a cheaper PS3 alternative. I'd wager the most the disk version will be $550 and the difference will be $100. I stand by $500/$400 as they said at the PS4 launch that $400 is the console sweet spot and the all digital version was the only way to get there.

So, Sony will do $600 for the disc and $500-$550 for digital. They will blame pricing on the specs, having learned nothing from society and the ps3 launch. Let’s not forget how arrogant Sony has been when they are on top, which they are. It’s a cycle...

#5637 Moofboy   CAG in Training CAGiversary!   498 Posts   Joined 8.0 Years Ago  

Posted 14 June 2020 - 06:16 AM

Yeah, the internal drive stays in there for both, but they'll have an expansion slot for a second drive.

And not to follow my previous post with more realism, but how much did Sony learn from the vita memory cards? Not holding my breath for Sony approval of drives...

#5638 The Questyen   Guess I'll just stumble on home to my cats CAGiversary!   2705 Posts   Joined 14.2 Years Ago  

The Questyen

Posted 14 June 2020 - 06:18 AM

I could easily see it being $500/$600 (digital/disc). People are forgetting they are going to be producing a lot less systems this release than they normally would in a non-Covid19 world. They will sell out no matter what the price is. 

#5639 Jables-The-Hutt   Rebel Scum CAGiversary!   64 Posts   Joined 9.9 Years Ago  

Jables-The-Hutt

Posted 14 June 2020 - 06:43 AM

All this hype about internal read speeds is starting to sound more and more like an excuse to limit storage expansion options again. This is starting to feel a bit like 7th generation 2: Electric Boogaloo.

What an odd conspiracy to ascribe yourself to. There is no way that someone is sitting at Sony cackling to themselves that they have thwarted Souffrir and his dreams of expandable storage options for PS5.

Yes, unfortunately it took till 2017 for external usb to be an option on PS4 (we can argue that it took too long). However as someone that has played hundreds of PS4 games, and has only had 50mbs internet for most of that time, it never was some huge issue for me. I can't play 10+ games at the same time, so, I have honestly never even used an external drive on my OG PS4 (or my Pro). I did however upgrade the internal HDD (500gb to 1TB), about 2 years before upgrading to PS4 Pro (super easy to swap).

This is 100% all about moving forward from old disk based hard drive systems and to a newer much more beneficial SSD. Unfortunately that does come at a price, both fiscally and physically as at launch you will be limited with options to expand. But it's absolutely going to be hands down the BIGGEST and most significant change with PS4 to PS5 anyway.

Without the SSD you are looking at a new console that wouldn't function much differently speed/loading wise, and still won't look much different graphically from PS4 Pro for likely 12-18 months when the "real" PS5 games start launching.

SSD benefits however are immediate and long lasting.

Sure it sucks there isn't more storage at launch, and sure it sucks that USB storage only works for PS4 games, but this is a price worth paying for the long term relevance of the console. SSD prices will come down and storage options will be there, but if you would rather they stayed with a disk based hard drive with 2TB or whatever at launch, then the PS5 might as well not even release for a few more years till the costs go down. And we certainly could argue that as well. But I think most people are ready to see a new "gen" of hardware at this point.

My personal PC has had an SSD for as long as the PS4 has been around. So the idea of launching a console in 2020 without one is ridiculous, and the fact Sony wants to go with a "cutting edge" newer type is once again, only good news for the long term life of the console.

But no, there isn't a storage conspiracy here. It's not like Sony held anyone hostage with not being able to upgrade OG PS4's with larger internal HHD's. They didn't sell proprietary PS4 internal drive upgrades either. If you really need all that storage day one, I have to break the news to you, there won't be all that much to play anyway.

#5640 FriskyTanuki   I have a piano CAGiversary!   70186 Posts   Joined 17.0 Years Ago  

FriskyTanuki

Posted 14 June 2020 - 06:47 AM

And not to follow my previous post with more realism, but how much did Sony learn from the vita memory cards? Not holding my breath for Sony approval of drives...

They're off-the-shelf drives that you can get for your PC now, if your motherboard supports it, so I'm not sure what you're talking about. MS is the one doing proprietary expansion drives from one manufacturer. Sony's allowing any that's made as long as they meet the baseline specs and will be releasing a list of those that meet them to recommend, which should grow rapidly as the higher speed drives become the norm for PC. We're basically bumping up to the edge of where PCs are at with these drives for the prices people are willing to pay, as my new PC has a 1TB stick in it that was $110 and it's not as fast as what either console will offer. Things will get better with time as the prices go down and the various companies making them get more space in them at higher speeds.

It's not like this generation where we're using the same 2.5" laptop HDDs that have been around for a long time, so it was a very mature market to easily get you 4+TB for decent prices in the past few years to cover most people's needs. As long as its off-the-shelf drives, it'll get better over time.