* * * - - 26 votes

PSN Weekly Deals - 9/9: PlayStation VR/Essential Picks/Games Under $15 Sales!

#4771 defpally   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   2139 Posts   Joined 10.5 Years Ago  

defpally

Posted 02 May 2020 - 09:53 PM

Can anyone suggested games for a 6 yrs old boy to play in this sale?

My son is a beginner from playing PS4.

My youngest son enjoyed Dragon Quest Builders 1 & 2 (both are on sale I believe).  It's basically a streamlined Minecraft with some light combat and adventuring.  It's not hard to play, but fun to build things.  The first is great and the second adds the ability to fly and smooths out some of the rough edges of the first as I recall.

#4772 trinken wir   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   398 Posts   Joined 11.3 Years Ago  

trinken wir

Posted 02 May 2020 - 11:45 PM

My youngest son enjoyed Dragon Quest Builders 1 & 2 (both are on sale I believe). It's basically a streamlined Minecraft with some light combat and adventuring. It's not hard to play, but fun to build things. The first is great and the second adds the ability to fly and smooths out some of the rough edges of the first as I recall.

My 6 year old daughter really liked Journey and it is free right now. There are a few spots where your son will need help, but it is fairly accessible. Was going to try Tearaway with my daughter next. Small amounts of fighting from what I remember on the Vita. Her and her 3 year old brother take pot shots at each other already so I try and minimize games with fighting. Would be interested in other suggestions that are not sports titles. My kids like Mario Kart even though they can hardly finish a race, I know there is a Nickelodeon kart racer and a garfield one on PS4, but I suspect both would be a downgrade from M Kart.

#4773 FriskyTanuki   I have a piano CAGiversary!   70325 Posts   Joined 17.1 Years Ago  

FriskyTanuki

Posted 03 May 2020 - 01:09 AM

Streaming some Streets of Rage 4 (link).

#4774 investor9872   CAG Supremo! CAGiversary!   2113 Posts   Joined 9.8 Years Ago  

investor9872

Posted 03 May 2020 - 01:58 AM

Dragons Crown Pro is an excellent co-op game, so you can play with him.  Any of the Lego bundle games are great as well.  

#4775 TheLegendofTyler   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   3596 Posts   Joined 11.2 Years Ago  

TheLegendofTyler

Posted 03 May 2020 - 03:21 AM

Was Hitman free on PS+ at some point? Shows I own it and don't recall ever purchasing it...

#4776 WolfmanASTN   CAG in Training CAGiversary!   1600 Posts   Joined 7.9 Years Ago  

WolfmanASTN

Posted 03 May 2020 - 03:27 AM

The Lego games are all great choices for kids. Plus if you're a fan of any of the franchises there are tons of great references. I played a lot of them with my younger brother while he was growing up and thoroughly enjoyed them myself

#4777 RiPPn  

Posted 03 May 2020 - 03:59 AM

Was Hitman free on PS+ at some point? Shows I own it and don't recall ever purchasing it...

#4778 shadowysea07   Cjenvy I'm ready for you awd this time I'm wearing pants CAGiversary!   5581 Posts   Joined 7.3 Years Ago  

shadowysea07

Posted 03 May 2020 - 04:50 AM

The Lego games are all great choices for kids. Plus if you're a fan of any of the franchises there are tons of great references. I played a lot of them with my younger brother while he was growing up and thoroughly enjoyed them myself

I'll second lego city undercover at the very least since it is on sale as well currently I believe.

Steven universe save the light and adventure times pirates are both fun for kids.  More so if they are fans of the show.

Steven universe plays like paper mario a bit.  Party member abilities are used to solve puzzles, the aesthetic is very paper mario like, action commands when attacking and defending.

#4779 DesertLeo   DontReadThis. CAGiversary!   2355 Posts   Joined 12.9 Years Ago  

Posted 03 May 2020 - 05:01 AM

Going off of the pretty much all the Lego games, which I also recommend, my kids and I have a blast with Speedrunners.  The base game is $2.50 right now, with the deluxe being about $5 

#4780 Kerig   PSForsaken no longer! CAGiversary!   6250 Posts   Joined 15.2 Years Ago  

Posted 03 May 2020 - 05:31 AM

Dragons Crown Pro is an excellent co-op game, so you can play with him.

The sheer amount of Ginormous Tits et al. in that game got so many sour looks from just about anyone walking by during any cutscene paintings or shop screens. You may have mistaken "play with a 6-year-old" for play with yourself.

#4781 sethrhf   The Watcher CAGiversary!   451 Posts   Joined 16.8 Years Ago  

Posted 03 May 2020 - 05:41 AM

Human: Fall Flat 

#4782 DesertLeo   DontReadThis. CAGiversary!   2355 Posts   Joined 12.9 Years Ago  

Posted 03 May 2020 - 06:12 AM

The sheer amount of Ginormous Tits et al. in that game got so many sour looks from just about anyone walking by during any cutscene paintings or shop screens. You may have mistaken "play with a 6-year-old" for play with yourself.

Wait.....did someone recommend DRAGON's CROWN for a 6 year old?

#4783 TheLegendofTyler   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   3596 Posts   Joined 11.2 Years Ago  

TheLegendofTyler

Posted 03 May 2020 - 06:16 AM

https://youtu.be/VZft_ePikgY

Thanks! That explains it

#4784 defpally   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   2139 Posts   Joined 10.5 Years Ago  

defpally

Posted 03 May 2020 - 12:30 PM

Dragons Crown Pro is an excellent co-op game, so you can play with him.  Any of the Lego bundle games are great as well.  

I love Dragon's Crown, but I'm gonna say a big no on getting that game for a 6 year old.  There are some pretty scary monsters, but more importantly the artwork is a bit ... revealing, particularly the Sorceress and Amazon.

#4785 Blade   This is the way CAGiversary!   14966 Posts   Joined 15.3 Years Ago  

Posted 03 May 2020 - 02:15 PM

Yeah, I think the ESRB warning is a dead giveaway on the content of Dragon's Crown.

Boob physicist:

Spoiler

Ass master:

Spoiler

#4786 synnarc   Lord of the VRAM CAGiversary!   1579 Posts   Joined 10.6 Years Ago  

Posted 03 May 2020 - 02:45 PM

Lego Marvel Superheroes is an amazing family game. My sons and I started playing it when it came out (4 years ago?) and have about 200 hours logged into it. It's easy enough for beginners to play while still being enjoyable for me. I cannot recommend this game enough for family play!

#4787 shadowysea07   Cjenvy I'm ready for you awd this time I'm wearing pants CAGiversary!   5581 Posts   Joined 7.3 Years Ago  

shadowysea07

Posted 03 May 2020 - 03:18 PM

Lego Marvel Superheroes is an amazing family game. My sons and I started playing it when it came out (4 years ago?) and have about 200 hours logged into it. It's easy enough for beginners to play while still being enjoyable for me. I cannot recommend this game enough for family play!

Haven't played that one so I will keep that recommendation in mind for later ^_^

#4788 invisibleman777   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   5 Posts   Joined 9.9 Years Ago  

invisibleman777

Posted 03 May 2020 - 04:13 PM

Thank for all the recommendation on games selection for my son. You guys are awesome!

#4789 FriskyTanuki   I have a piano CAGiversary!   70325 Posts   Joined 17.1 Years Ago  

FriskyTanuki

Posted 03 May 2020 - 05:16 PM

#4790 trinken wir   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   398 Posts   Joined 11.3 Years Ago  

trinken wir

Posted 03 May 2020 - 05:39 PM

Thank for all the recommendation on games selection for my son. You guys are awesome!

I guess I am a nut, but I think the lego games are a bit too violent for age 6. Everyone has their own tolerances. Most of the lego games are E10, but I think somewhere in between E and E10 makes sense. I have several of the lego games cued up for a year or two down the road ~8 years old.

The building part of Disney Infinity games are also kid friendly, but it might be a bit harder to track down figures. If you have second and charles shops they still carry the figures used (local independent game stores as well).
Also zen pinball/pinball fx can be fun, but some of the tables are a bit difficult, but probably good for hand eye coordination.

#4791 kelo360   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1767 Posts   Joined 10.6 Years Ago  

Posted 03 May 2020 - 09:20 PM

I had a similar question. What age did you introduce video games to your kids? My 6.5 year old son is starting to get the itch for phone games and I was curious to what other gaming parents thought.

#4792 darthbster31   Herpaderp CAGiversary!   251 Posts   Joined 7.4 Years Ago  

darthbster31

Posted 03 May 2020 - 11:59 PM

My son's been gaming since he was just about to turn 4 (he just turned 7). Mario, Mario kart, Lego games were what we started with. Now, he's addicted to Minecraft and Mario still. We played split screen Battlefront 2 for a bit as well.

#4793 DesertLeo   DontReadThis. CAGiversary!   2355 Posts   Joined 12.9 Years Ago  

Posted 04 May 2020 - 12:41 AM

I just took this chance to download a bunch of ps+ ps3 games (with our isp allowing unlimited data and faster speeds with the corona thing) for my kids. Had no idea that Cloudberry Kingdom was multiplayer, we just had a blast with it the last hour or so.

#4794 FriskyTanuki   I have a piano CAGiversary!   70325 Posts   Joined 17.1 Years Ago  

FriskyTanuki

Posted 04 May 2020 - 01:13 AM

Streaming the weekend-only Dropshot Rumble mode in Rocket League (link).

Here's the archive of the Streets of Rage 4 stream, which featured the poor PC Game Pass version of the game. Our review for Streets of Rage 4 is live.

#4795 trinken wir   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   398 Posts   Joined 11.3 Years Ago  

trinken wir

Posted 04 May 2020 - 02:45 AM

I had a similar question. What age did you introduce video games to your kids? My 6.5 year old son is starting to get the itch for phone games and I was curious to what other gaming parents thought.

My daughter is 6 1/2 and is just starting to play games with me on the TV. She has been allowed to play educational games on tablet/phone since ~4 or so and I gave her a DS with similar stuff plus Mario Kart at ~6. I suspect my son will get to play earlier because he will see his sister playing and want in, but I think 6-6 1/2 is about the right age. My son is 3 and throws stuff when he gets frusterated. The last thing I need is a broken tv or playstation, kid has an arm!

#4796 Souffrir   Eternally Training CAG CAGiversary!   5128 Posts   Joined 7.8 Years Ago  

Posted 04 May 2020 - 03:11 AM

As long as you’re not giving them objects they could hurt themselves (and for preference, damage anything around them) with, I don’t think there’s really a “too early” for video games, as long as you’re curating the game selection and making sure they’re getting plenty of exposure to other kinds of stimuli. Obviously before a certain point of development, very young kids may not have the coordination or understanding to handle more than the simplest games, but in terms of absolute age, it’s hard to draw a cut off line.

Still, at a young age, a video game is really little more than a toy, so as long as it isn’t presenting material you consider objectionable and you don’t let it become all they’re interested in, I’d argue video games are great for kids. Why I’ve been playing games like Tetris since literally before I can even remember, and I turned... out...

You know, let’s call that a bad example.

#4797 Acquiesc3   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   187 Posts   Joined 9.3 Years Ago  

Posted 04 May 2020 - 04:41 AM

100% get Earth Defense Force and play it together. I'd suggest getting EDF5 but if that's too pricy, EDF 4.1 is still damn great and is only 10 bucks.

#4798 shadowysea07   Cjenvy I'm ready for you awd this time I'm wearing pants CAGiversary!   5581 Posts   Joined 7.3 Years Ago  

shadowysea07

Posted 04 May 2020 - 05:02 AM

As long as you’re not giving them objects they could hurt themselves (and for preference, damage anything around them) with, I don’t think there’s really a “too early” for video games, as long as you’re curating the game selection and making sure they’re getting plenty of exposure to other kinds of stimuli. Obviously before a certain point of development, very young kids may not have the coordination or understanding to handle more than the simplest games, but in terms of absolute age, it’s hard to draw a cut off line.

Still, at a young age, a video game is really little more than a toy, so as long as it isn’t presenting material you consider objectionable and you don’t let it become all they’re interested in, I’d argue video games are great for kids. Why I’ve been playing games like Tetris since literally before I can even remember, and I turned... out...

You know, let’s call that a bad example.

Reflexes and hand coordination wise I would honestly say I was better at 6 than I am now.  I used to be able to beat stuff like mario and mega man easy peasy.  Mario rpg was what encouraged my very young self to read and do addition and subtraction.  The latter since you would use psychopath to show how much hp a boss had then you'd have to do the math yourself or waste turns using that.  Of course my childhood is a bit of an exception since my parents were very avid gamers.  My dad had numerous arcade machines, pinball machines and an air hockey table in our basement rec room.  So I grew up on stuff like centipede, galaga and mr do. 

#4799 Souffrir   Eternally Training CAG CAGiversary!   5128 Posts   Joined 7.8 Years Ago  

Posted 04 May 2020 - 05:55 AM

Reflexes and hand coordination wise I would honestly say I was better at 6 than I am now.

I was thinking more along the lines of 2 years old than 6 when I mentioned the coordination part, though like I said, development at that age is variable enough that a hard line is difficult to draw.

#4800 lionheart059   CAG in Training CAGiversary!   609 Posts   Joined 7.8 Years Ago  

lionheart059

Posted 04 May 2020 - 01:39 PM

My stepson got introduced around 3.5, when I gave my (then girlfriend, now-ex-wife) my old Wii to play games on with him before I met him.  The thought was some of the motion control games would be more kid friendly, like Wii Tennis and stuff.  Around when he turned 4, he and I started playing Kirby's Epic Yarn and Mario Kart Wii on it.

By the time he was 5 we had added in Candy Crush from time to time, and got him a 3DS and the Lego Batman games.  Eventually moved on to Skylanders, Disney Infinity, yada yada.

Now he's almost 10 and all the kid wants to play is Minecraft. We have weekly scheduled Xbox nights to chat and play it since they moved post-divorce.

I hate Minecraft, but I love my time with that kiddo.