* * * - - 26 votes

PSN Weekly Deals - 9/9: PlayStation VR/Essential Picks/Games Under $15 Sales!

#5311 Photophonic  

Photophonic

Posted 10 June 2020 - 06:21 PM

I've also heard good things about Greedfall. A lot of reviews say that it's like a Bioware RPG, if Bioware still made good RPGs.

It is just average all around. Lots of Euro-jank and obvious recycling of assets, quests, and locations but it is a solid AA game and a good foundation for a future franchise. As for the whole it's like Bioware of old and all of that, ehhhh...... it was more fans placing their hopes on anything that looked halfway competent and Spiders capitalized on that hole in the market. 

#5312 shadowysea07   Cjenvy I'm ready for you awd this time I'm wearing pants CAGiversary!   5574 Posts   Joined 7.3 Years Ago  

shadowysea07

Posted 10 June 2020 - 06:26 PM

I heard Zestiria was the worst "Tales of" game in a long long time, is it worth playing?

Many people said to stay far away from it when it launched originally.

The biggest issues are the lag and bad camera and frame rates during battle and occasionally the ai goes full derp mode.  It's a clunky game but serviceable.  But I wouldn't recommend it over any of them.  I'd say its about on par with tales of legendia combat wise due to how restrictive they both are.

Oh and the other huge glitch being where battle radius appear.  As you can get a battle where it starts with you in a doorway or behind a wall or with a cliff between rock and other such terrain that you cannot get through.  Luckily that doesn't happen super often but it happens often enough especially in dungeons that it is a problem.  It also carried over into berseria for the marsh dungeon during the demo hilariously.

#5313 gospelman   Irreducibly Complex CAGiversary!   2791 Posts   Joined 11.1 Years Ago  

Posted 10 June 2020 - 06:30 PM

I read that it might be better played after Berseria because the latter is a prequel.

I actually think it's best to play them in the order of release.  You'll appreciate Berseria more with knowledge of Zesteria.  And yeah I also thought Zesteria to be pretty poor in comparison to the other Tales games.  Just didn't particularly enjoy most of the characters and the way you are forced to use only one way of attacking a given enemy.  Berseria is better and, in my opinion, Z is best as a groundwork / reference point that is played before B.

#5314 shadowysea07   Cjenvy I'm ready for you awd this time I'm wearing pants CAGiversary!   5574 Posts   Joined 7.3 Years Ago  

shadowysea07

Posted 10 June 2020 - 06:32 PM

I actually think it's best to play them in the order of release.  You'll appreciate Berseria more with knowledge of Zesteria.  And yeah I also thought Zesteria to be pretty poor in comparison to the other Tales games.  Just didn't particularly enjoy the characters and the way you are forced to use only one way of attacking a given enemy.  Berseria is better and, in my opinion, Z is best as a groundwork / reference point that is played before B.

Zestirias plot certainly only is explained in the secret dungeon of berseria which is pretty pathetic.  And since its never resolved you are left with an unfinished little group of games.  On top of both of them being pretty disappointing with how they end to begin with.  However berseria has minimal connects to zestiria and the couple it does have are nothing more than amusing foot notes at best.  They also create some plot holes like Rocko not being in zestiria or explaining what happened to him between games.  Magilou they just write off as having died between them with no explanation for how that happened either and you wouldn't know who she even is in zestiria so that whole section about her felt like nonsense. Oh and the couple cities and temples existing in both games despite the entire planet changing terrain between the two games.  The wind temple shouldn't have still existed in zestiria as theres no way it would have survived volcanoes and the land all moving and shifting all around it.

Given that magilou is immortal barring she breaks her pacts I feel like they wrote themselves into a corner backwards with berseria and didn't put much thought into how they would proceed.  

Oh And Zaveid is such a different character between the two games and the only named one that you would actually even meet between the two that they might as well have not wrote him in at all.  Going from someone who would never kill to someone who kills without even a second thought.

Then there is the fact that edna, lailah, thunder spirit and a few others are not present in berseria period and you never visit not japan where rocko is from.

#5315 the_ENEMY_   Undead CAGiversary!   1286 Posts   Joined 10.3 Years Ago  

the_ENEMY_

Posted 10 June 2020 - 08:13 PM

has elite dangerous deluxe ever been cheaper?

#5316 FriskyTanuki   I have a piano CAGiversary!   70317 Posts   Joined 17.1 Years Ago  

FriskyTanuki

Posted 10 June 2020 - 08:32 PM

#5317 BobbyTastic   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   9120 Posts   Joined 9.6 Years Ago  

BobbyTastic

Posted 11 June 2020 - 01:05 AM

For those trophy hunters thinking of picking up Zestiria, I've read that the Alisha DLC is worth picking up for help with a particular trophy, and comes with trophies as well. However, it's never been on sale but it was offered free at some point in the past.

I'm thinking about scooping up the deluxe version of Control for $40. I'm surprised the base game isn't on sale as well.

Base game is on PSNow. Only reason I can think of.

#5318 sp0rklez  

Posted 11 June 2020 - 02:09 AM

Kinda strange that 2 of the games I've been waiting to drop in price more, have both dropped to comfortable prices within the last 2 weeks. What's the catch?!

With that being said, Death Stranding and Greedfall for $41ish doesn't seem too bad. I'm ultra indecisive though so I haven't made up my mind yet for sure.

#5319 shadowysea07   Cjenvy I'm ready for you awd this time I'm wearing pants CAGiversary!   5574 Posts   Joined 7.3 Years Ago  

shadowysea07

Posted 11 June 2020 - 02:42 AM

For those trophy hunters thinking of picking up Zestiria, I've read that the Alisha DLC is worth picking up for help with a particular trophy, and comes with trophies as well. However, it's never been on sale but it was offered free at some point in the past.
Base game is on PSNow. Only reason I can think of.

They offered it for free at release due to the backlash of advertising Her as a main playable character and the Heroine of the game only to rip her out of the game.  Japan wasn't having that and since the west already knew of it months in advance they included it as free for the launch. What is sad is that because she can't use fusion mode or some limited aspect of it her dlc is pretty gimped.  Oh and only the female characters are in it iirc furthering the gimp since half the party is male afterall and the water spirit fusion mode is the more useful.

#5320 CrepeNuts  

CrepeNuts

Posted 11 June 2020 - 07:13 PM

PS5 reveal pre-show, hosted by Geoff Keighley, is live now:

Main event is at 4pm EST.

#5321 Liquid-Swords   Deal Hunter CAGiversary!   220 Posts   Joined 16.2 Years Ago  

Liquid-Swords

Posted 11 June 2020 - 07:17 PM

Is their a thread to follow along with PS5 preorders in case they make them available? I'd like to secure one.

#5322 CrepeNuts  

CrepeNuts

Posted 11 June 2020 - 07:19 PM

Is their a thread to follow along with PS5 preorders in case they make them available? I'd like to secure one.

I recommend following the Wario64 twitter account for that. Very quick and very accurate.

https://twitter.com/Wario64

#5323 FriskyTanuki   I have a piano CAGiversary!   70317 Posts   Joined 17.1 Years Ago  

FriskyTanuki

Posted 11 June 2020 - 07:33 PM

Starts in about 30 minutes:

#5324 Freeze Time  

Freeze Time

Posted 11 June 2020 - 07:38 PM

Does anyone here have predictions or heard any pretty solid rumors? Any sites streaming in 4K?

#5325 awp   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   9975 Posts   Joined 16.7 Years Ago  

Posted 11 June 2020 - 07:45 PM

Does anyone here have predictions or heard any pretty solid rumors? Any sites streaming in 4K?

No sites are streaming 4K. The presentation itself was prerecorded in 1080p.

#5326 Freeze Time  

Freeze Time

Posted 11 June 2020 - 07:46 PM

No sites are streaming 4K. The presentation itself was prerecorded in 1080p.

I find that so ironic. Native 4K is one of the main features of the PS5 and yet Sony is streaming in 1080p. That's a straight Nintendo move right there.

#5327 FriskyTanuki   I have a piano CAGiversary!   70317 Posts   Joined 17.1 Years Ago  

FriskyTanuki

Posted 11 June 2020 - 07:49 PM

1080p for the stream, 4K for the archive.

#5328 awp   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   9975 Posts   Joined 16.7 Years Ago  

Posted 11 June 2020 - 07:51 PM

1080p for the stream, 4K for the archive.

How is it going to be 4K for the archive? Even Sony’s blog post says the presentation was prerecorded in 1080p. Guess it could be upscaled to 4K.

https://blog.playsta...-gaming-on-ps5/

#5329 Tyrok   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   2788 Posts   Joined 12.7 Years Ago  

Posted 11 June 2020 - 08:01 PM

The trailers they show might be individually uploaded in 4K.

#5330 FriskyTanuki   I have a piano CAGiversary!   70317 Posts   Joined 17.1 Years Ago  

FriskyTanuki

Posted 11 June 2020 - 08:02 PM

It's starting now. I'll do a summary of what's shown for those that can't watch.

• Rockstar's up first with GTAV. It's being expanded and enhanced for PS5 next year. GTA Online standalone free for PS5 PS+ at its launch and free $1 million per month for PS+ owners on PS4 now until its launch on PS5.
  • Spider-Man from Insomniac starring Miles Morales is coming to PS5. Out Holiday 2020.
  • Gran Turismo 7 is coming to PS5. Showing off the new campaign mode with a similar UI as GT Sport and a good bit of a race.
  • Insomniac also has a new Ratchet & Clank game for PS5. Gameplay footage that ends with a lady Lombax. Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart.
  • Square Enix is up next. Project Athia. "Designed Exclusively for PS5."
  • Annapurna Interactive is up next with a sci-fi cat game called Stray. Out 2021.
  • CG video about PS5 and Dual Sense features.
  • New game from Worldwide Studios for PS5. It's a Housemarque game. Looks like a horror roguelike shooter. Returnal.
  • LittleBigPlanet returns for Sackboy: A Big Adventure. A 3D platformer with co-op.
  • New PS Studios game from Lucid. Destruction AllStars. Multiplayer demolition derby racing with some parkour outside of the cars.
  • New game from two brothers at Ember Lab. Action-adventure game from the gameplay shown in the trailer. Kena: Bridge of Spirits.
  • New game form KO_OP (GNOG) called Goodbye Volcano High. 2021.
  • Oddworld Inhabitants is up next. Oddworld Soulstorm.
  • Jett: The Far Shore. Holiday 2020. New game from the Superbrothers (Sword & Sworcery).
  • Seeing gameplay trailer for the new Gearbox-published game Godfall. Holiday 2020.
  • New game from the Hyper Light Drifter team. Solar Ash. 2021.
  • Hitman 3. January 2021.
  • New Astrobot game. Astro's Playroom.
  • Little Devil Inside. Cool indie game.
  • NBA 2K21. Fall 2020.
  • New game from the Octodad devs. Bugsnax. Holiday 2020.
  • Shuhei Yoshida showed up to show off something. Demon's Souls! Bluepoint and Japan Studio's new project.
  • Deathloop from Arkane Studios is coming to PS5. Definitely has some Dishonored vibes to the gameplay.
  • Resident Evil VIII "Village". 2021.
  • Pragmata. Weird sci-fi game on the Moon? 2022.
  • New Horizon Zero Dawn. Swimming in and under the water. Horizon II: Forbidden West.
  • There's the box. PS5 and PS5 Digital Edition. Dual Sense charging stations. Pulse 3D headset. Media remote. New camera.

#5331 FriskyTanuki   I have a piano CAGiversary!   70317 Posts   Joined 17.1 Years Ago  

FriskyTanuki

Posted 11 June 2020 - 08:03 PM

How is it going to be 4K for the archive? Even Sony’s blog post says the presentation was prerecorded in 1080p. Guess it could be upscaled to 4K.

https://blog.playsta...-gaming-on-ps5/

It says it's broadcast in 1080p30, but not necessarily recorded at that resolution/framerate.

#5332 BobbyTastic   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   9120 Posts   Joined 9.6 Years Ago  

BobbyTastic

Posted 11 June 2020 - 08:06 PM

So do GTA V owners on PS4 get the new version for free?
It's cool it's a Plus freebie eventually but..

#5333 FriskyTanuki   I have a piano CAGiversary!   70317 Posts   Joined 17.1 Years Ago  

FriskyTanuki

Posted 11 June 2020 - 08:07 PM

So do GTA V owners on PS4 get the new version for free?
It's cool it's a Plus freebie eventually but..

Free for PS+ today on PS4.

#5334 awp   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   9975 Posts   Joined 16.7 Years Ago  

Posted 11 June 2020 - 08:15 PM

Free for PS+ today on PS4.

Think it’s just that you get $1 million in cash a month until launch. Not the game itself.

GTA Online will be free on PS5 at launch.

#5335 Freeze Time  

Freeze Time

Posted 11 June 2020 - 08:16 PM

Is the stream pretty crappy for anyone else? I'm watching it on YouTube and there's no way it's 1080p even though it says it is. Still pathetic that 4K games are being shown in 1080P but at least give me 1080p. I have a very strong internet connection.

#5336 TheLegendofTyler   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   3583 Posts   Joined 11.2 Years Ago  

TheLegendofTyler

Posted 11 June 2020 - 08:17 PM

Is the stream pretty crappy for anyone else? I'm watching it on YouTube and there's no way it's 1080p even though it says it is. Still pathetic that 4K games are being shown in 1080P but at least give me 1080p. I have a very strong internet connection.

Mines doing fine, no stuttering and definitely 1080P

#5337 BobbyTastic   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   9120 Posts   Joined 9.6 Years Ago  

BobbyTastic

Posted 11 June 2020 - 08:17 PM

Think it’s just that you get $1 million in cash a month until launch. Not the game itself.

GTA Online will be free on PS5 at launch.

That was also my impression.
Does that mean the campaign won't be free either?

#5338 Tyrok   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   2788 Posts   Joined 12.7 Years Ago  

Posted 11 June 2020 - 08:19 PM

Yeah, it's hard to be impressed by 4K native stuff being shown in 1080p30. There really is no excuse with this being entirely pre-packaged and not live at all.

#5339 Freeze Time  

Freeze Time

Posted 11 June 2020 - 08:21 PM

Mines doing fine, no stuttering and definitely 1080P

Are you watching on their official YouTube channel?

#5340 TheLegendofTyler   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   3583 Posts   Joined 11.2 Years Ago  

TheLegendofTyler

Posted 11 June 2020 - 08:27 PM

Are you watching on their official YouTube channel?

Yep