* * * - - 26 votes

PSN Weekly Deals - 9/9: PlayStation VR/Essential Picks/Games Under $15 Sales!

#7531 Zenax[zd]   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   709 Posts   Joined 12.0 Years Ago  

Zenax[zd]

Posted 15 September 2020 - 03:50 AM

I have a feeling the new AC and Watchdogs are going to be bargain bin items before a year goes by as usual.

I can't think of a single Ubi game that has really held its value in the long term this generation. Seems to have just gotten worse over time as well, like AC Origins is not that old (late 2017 release) and I already got a copy for $5 on some random gamestop sale earlier this year. Still plenty of the big games from 2017 I want that aren't that cheap just yet.

#7532 gmsick   $50,000... CASH!!! CAGiversary!   1558 Posts   Joined 10.7 Years Ago  

Posted 15 September 2020 - 03:52 AM

I can't think of a single Ubi game that has really held its value in the long term this generation. Seems to have just gotten worse over time as well, like AC Origins is not that old (late 2017 release) and I already got a copy for $5 on some random gamestop sale earlier this year. Still plenty of the big games from 2017 I want that aren't that cheap just yet.

The Ubidrop is a real thing. I'm really tempted to by that Immortals game day one though. It looks pretty good. 

#7533 Moofboy   CAG in Training CAGiversary!   528 Posts   Joined 8.1 Years Ago  

Posted 15 September 2020 - 03:54 AM

All of you contribute so much to this board ... who would make all these posts whining about “trolls” without all of you. 😚

In other news, if you want a PS5 I would grab one at launch, as Zantra pointed out in the Xbox thread, Sony has cut their fiscal year forecast by 4 million due to chip production issues, so launch will probably be the best bet for securing a console this year.

I’ll just stick with the backlog then. I was on the fence for buying at launch, or even within six months of launch... I’ll just wait until summer and see how production is going then.

#7534 etcrane   A Damn Fine Cup of Coffee CAGiversary!   5447 Posts   Joined 17.1 Years Ago  

Posted 15 September 2020 - 03:56 AM

The Steelbook Gold versions tend to hold their value in the long term, assuming the game is half decent (AC Origins, Odyssey) but most of their stuff drops the same way sports titles, COD, EA games and other annual releases do.

#7535 the_ENEMY_   Undead CAGiversary!   1289 Posts   Joined 10.3 Years Ago  

the_ENEMY_

Posted 15 September 2020 - 04:12 AM

I have a feeling its because they are open world / sandbox but no real feeling of "endgame" or replayability. They make you do the same dozen things 100 times each and the rewards are usually meaningless. Makes people feel like a glorified day job after a dozen hours.

The lack of decent coop or competitive mode make it a hard choice to want to buy right away, making stores drop prices to move dusty copies.

I am not saying single player is bad, or open world by any means, but when you just copypaste the same missions all over the map it feels like work.

#7536 etcrane   A Damn Fine Cup of Coffee CAGiversary!   5447 Posts   Joined 17.1 Years Ago  

Posted 15 September 2020 - 04:22 AM

I have a feeling its because they are open world / sandbox but no real feeling of "endgame" or replayability. They make you do the same dozen things 100 times each and the rewards are usually meaningless. Makes people feel like a glorified day job after a dozen hours.

The lack of decent coop or competitive mode make it a hard choice to want to buy right away, making stores drop prices to move dusty copies.

I am not saying single player is bad, or open world by any means, but when you just copypaste the same missions all over the map it feels like work.

Ubi games have become super derivative, it’s similar to the COD seasonal model, or really any franchise that uses an established framework and tweaks it each year.

I’ve preordered almost all of their next gen releases to lock in lower prices, especially if the $69 next gen trend gets legs, but I’ll probably only end up keeping one. And even that one (Immortals Fenyx Rising) looks like it might be too similar to Odyssey with design changes. They’re like the fast food of games ... tasty in small quantities but not great quality and not the best games you can buy.

#7537 Omni99  

Posted 15 September 2020 - 04:29 AM

It can be done well too. In Witcher 3 I wanted to find every ? on the map. I just platinumed Ghost of Tsushima, I wanted to find all the places and drive out every mongol. But when I see an Ubisoft map with all those markings I just think "Ha! yeah right I'm not gonna do all those again."

#7538 Zenax[zd]   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   709 Posts   Joined 12.0 Years Ago  

Zenax[zd]

Posted 15 September 2020 - 04:31 AM

The Ubidrop is a real thing. I'm really tempted to by that Immortals game day one though. It looks pretty good. 

It's actually the first Ubi game that has gotten me kind of excited in a while, mostly just because I absolutely love the open world structure of breath of the wild which is clearly what that game is going for.

But yeah don't think I'll do it. It'll be $10-20 next fall lol.

#7539 coolduck   super cool duck CAGiversary!   496 Posts   Joined 3.3 Years Ago  

coolduck

Posted 15 September 2020 - 04:39 AM

I can't think of a single Ubi game that has really held its value in the long term this generation.

for some reason far cry primal was expensive for quite a bit

#7540 shadowysea07   Cjenvy I'm ready for you awd this time I'm wearing pants CAGiversary!   5581 Posts   Joined 7.3 Years Ago  

shadowysea07

Posted 15 September 2020 - 04:45 AM

I always enjoy the discussion about console generations, especially how they compare in terms of performance, services, etc. I want to thank those of you in this thread who've contributed to the discussion, as it's given me a good idea of where things stand.

I'm actually planning to buy a PS4 in the next 3-6 months to replace the PS4 slim I sold last year, when my financial situation was dire. It's stable again, and I've been gradually saving up to replace it. My main question would be: whether to get another PS4 slim or a PS4 Pro? The current pricing is 299.99 for the slim and 399.99 for the Pro, so I would hope to see them lower the MSRP (or have some good holiday sales prices) after the PS5 releases.

I had no problems with my slim, and with a "dumb" HD (non-4K) TV I don't really think I need to get a Pro. The other reason I hesitate on the Pro is the concern about the noise. It seems as if a lot of people here have had problems with that--is it mainly a problem with certain games, or certain iterations of the Pro?

I've been fairly consistent when upgrading to next-gen; I usually get it 3 or more years into the lifespan...that's when the price has come down, the library has grown, new releases stop coming out for last-gen, and (sometimes) technical improvements have been made. So my current console setup includes: PS2 slim (bought 2005), Xbox 360 (Oct. 2009), PS3 slim (Jul. 2012), Xbox One S (Dec. 2017).

I had the PS4 slim from May 2016 - Jun. 2019. Though I sold the several PS4 discs I have, I still have a large digital library and it'd be great to get back to it.

While it'd be tempting to get the PS5 right away, I think I'd rather get a PS4 that I can count on for at least 3 years. Any advice about where to get one or when, or whether I should consider a Pro? I don't anticipate getting a 4K TV for at least 2 years, if that helps.

TL;DR: I'd appreciate your advice/experiences re: PS4 slim vs. PS4 Pro. Thanks!  :grouphug:

Certain games and certain models of the pro are louder than others.  If you check the previous thread iirc I think some comments were listed about various models there.

Although unemployment is high, the housing market and related industries are exploding because so many people are spending time in their own homes and looking to better that experience in lieu of the social activities they were doing and now can't. The same logic may apply to video game sales, unused time and money will find a way to get used and video games are a pretty safe bet right now.

The answer you didn't want but what you should do if you can afford it: just buy a PS5 now. It'll last another seven years and retain value pretty well. There may not be an MSRP drop on this gen of consoles. Look at the Switch. And if there is? It won't be enough to cover the PS4 expenditure you make while waiting.

That is true I've been unloading a few games every week though significantly less now that the unemployment checks have stopped coming for some and there doesn't seem to be a second stimulus. 

#7541 shadowysea07   Cjenvy I'm ready for you awd this time I'm wearing pants CAGiversary!   5581 Posts   Joined 7.3 Years Ago  

shadowysea07

Posted 15 September 2020 - 04:51 AM

FF14 has its own dedicated team that is always working on expansion content and patches in between the expacs, at all times, at a roughly even pace. An expansion comes out every 2 years (mostly at clockwork). The last expac drop was ~15ish months ago and they'll be announcing another soon. Early next year at the latest. Also, it's shocking that they haven't announced a PS5 version of FF14 yet. Wouldn't be surprised if they did that on Wednesday.

FF7R PT2 is also one continuous team that probably won't stop working until all of the FF7 parts are released. Similarly to FF14, their team probably won't have any overlap with any others or affect other releases.

FF15 was developed by an entirely different team altogether. What this team is working on now, we do not know. But there was also another team that they formed not too long ago (which some MMORPGs types think might be the 14 successor, but we have no idea).

With Square Enix, anything is possible. I wouldn't count out FF16 being unveiled on Wednesday... But that doesn't mean it's gonna be released any time soon. Still, I wouldn't be shocked if 16 or even 15-2 were announced. Despite the fact that 15 had a divided reputation, it still sold enormously well.

15 was the kh team from what I recall so they are back to kh and definitely wouldn't be pulled to work on 16.

#7542 gmsick   $50,000... CASH!!! CAGiversary!   1558 Posts   Joined 10.7 Years Ago  

Posted 15 September 2020 - 04:52 AM

It's actually the first Ubi game that has gotten me kind of excited in a while, mostly just because I absolutely love the open world structure of breath of the wild which is clearly what that game is going for.

But yeah don't think I'll do it. It'll be $10-20 next fall lol.

Yeah for sure. I'm about to replay BotW in preperation for the Hyrule Warriors prequel. Immortals looks like a good homage to Zelda that i'd love to play on PS5. 

Who are we fooling though. I could see the current gen versions dropping to $20-$30 by summer.  I have to be a CAG and resist. 

#7543 RiPPn  

Posted 15 September 2020 - 06:23 AM

Console may be tougher to get than originally expected:

#7544 Das_Regal   oh god CAGiversary!   1131 Posts   Joined 10.7 Years Ago  

Posted 15 September 2020 - 07:31 AM

I googled it; the FFXV people are working on project Athia, now as a subsidiary called Luminous Products. Another creative division is working on FF7R...

There are still two teams totally unaccounted for at this point. One is probably working on the next mainline Dragon Quest game and the last is probably doing FFXVI.

#7545 FriskyTanuki   I have a piano CAGiversary!   70325 Posts   Joined 17.1 Years Ago  

FriskyTanuki

Posted 15 September 2020 - 01:39 PM

#7546 FriskyTanuki   I have a piano CAGiversary!   70325 Posts   Joined 17.1 Years Ago  

FriskyTanuki

Posted 15 September 2020 - 03:34 PM

Spelunky 2 is out now:

https://store.playst...PELUNKY20000000

#7547 FriskyTanuki   I have a piano CAGiversary!   70325 Posts   Joined 17.1 Years Ago  

FriskyTanuki

Posted 15 September 2020 - 04:09 PM

https://www.rocketle...s-september-23/

Rocket League goes Free-to-Play on 9/23 with a special event happening shortly after launch with more details next week.

#7548 coolduck   super cool duck CAGiversary!   496 Posts   Joined 3.3 Years Ago  

coolduck

Posted 15 September 2020 - 04:37 PM

it was hard to justify buying a switch version of it, so the fact that the base game is free and your progress syncs across platforms is great

#7549 Zenax[zd]   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   709 Posts   Joined 12.0 Years Ago  

Zenax[zd]

Posted 15 September 2020 - 04:39 PM

15 was the kh team from what I recall so they are back to kh and definitely wouldn't be pulled to work on 16.

Nah, KH has been handled by an Osaka studio since the Chain of Memories remake on PS2. They had nothing to do with FF15 as during that time they were working on KH3/0.2 while also porting all the other games to PS3/PS4. You can easily look up credits and you'll see no real crossover.

#7550 Das_Regal   oh god CAGiversary!   1131 Posts   Joined 10.7 Years Ago  

Posted 15 September 2020 - 07:20 PM

Good news. Sony says: 

"We have not changed the production number for PlayStation 5 since the start of mass production." 

#7551 etcrane   A Damn Fine Cup of Coffee CAGiversary!   5447 Posts   Joined 17.1 Years Ago  

Posted 15 September 2020 - 08:49 PM

Good news. Sony says:

Still wouldn’t count on fast restocks after launch day. Even if they’re sticking with the same number, supplier issues have been increasing due to the pandemic. And historically, most consoles have been tough to find just sitting out and about any time between launch up to Christmas.

#7552 Photophonic  

Photophonic

Posted 15 September 2020 - 10:25 PM

Going to shoot for a P5-Disc preorder but if I don't get one, I don't get one. I have enough in my backlog to keep me occupied until the summer. That said, I also plan to shoot for an X-S preorder simply as a fallback plan. At minimum it would allow me to play random 3rd party games that are available on games pass until I snagged a 5.

As for restocking, yeah, I have not seen anything for any system on store shelves in months aside from the random Switch lite here and there. Pretty wild to be honest. 

#7553 Tyrok   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   2792 Posts   Joined 12.7 Years Ago  

Posted 15 September 2020 - 10:58 PM

I'm willing to bet that Sony has ordered more digital PS5s then the demand will call for because they know people will buy whatever they can find during the holiday. Of course the latest "what are you getting?" poll from IGN showed that 4 times as many people wanted a disc version over digital.

#7554 shadowysea07   Cjenvy I'm ready for you awd this time I'm wearing pants CAGiversary!   5581 Posts   Joined 7.3 Years Ago  

shadowysea07

Posted 16 September 2020 - 02:59 AM

Nah, KH has been handled by an Osaka studio since the Chain of Memories remake on PS2. They had nothing to do with FF15 as during that time they were working on KH3/0.2 while also porting all the other games to PS3/PS4. You can easily look up credits and you'll see no real crossover.

Nomura worked on both as director (edit). They took him off 15 and put him back on kh3 after a bit but fact is he was still involved in both.  https://www.ign.com/...earts-3-by-2012 15 was a total disaster and pretty embarrassing along with 14 and honestly all the upper management in square should have been the ones fired instead of 14's team which they threw under the bus.

As for looking up the credits and seeing no real cross over he is listed as Artist on both. They also have the same composer listed for both.

#7555 Das_Regal   oh god CAGiversary!   1131 Posts   Joined 10.7 Years Ago  

Posted 16 September 2020 - 03:35 AM

FFXV sold extraordinarily well. More than 9 million copies at this point, and it was one of the fastest selling games. There's just a really loud contingent of people on the internet that hated it, but reception was generally good. It was profitable after a single day, even after spending 10 years in development hell.

14's launch was utterly horrendous and they lost a ton of money on it... The game design was ancient, and it was incredibly poorly received. It wasn't even finished when they put it out. I still don't know what they were thinking. My collectors edition of 14 basically has no value because of it.

Those two could not be more opposed as examples.

#7556 shadowysea07   Cjenvy I'm ready for you awd this time I'm wearing pants CAGiversary!   5581 Posts   Joined 7.3 Years Ago  

shadowysea07

Posted 16 September 2020 - 03:39 AM

FFXV sold extraordinarily well. More than 9 million copies at this point, and it was one of the fastest selling games. There's just a really loud contingent of people on the internet that hated it, but reception was generally good. It was profitable after a single day, even after spending 10 years in development hell.

I don't know if it actually made them much of a profit given that development hell is expensive as are the trademarks, advertising, branding and such that went into both games. Signs also point to the paid dlc being not profitable given that they cancelled the rest of it. Now pocket edition might have made them a good chunk of money given that iirc they released that on lots of platforms that 15 didn't release on.  And while 15 sold a lot of copies most of those were at drastically reduced price after the initial 5 mil. iirc it dropped to as low as 5 bucks at one point.  The free dlc and numerous large content change updates also likely cost them some money.  Of course they also had that ad money for ramen and ass creed so that might have made them a nice chunk of change.

#7557 Das_Regal   oh god CAGiversary!   1131 Posts   Joined 10.7 Years Ago  

Posted 16 September 2020 - 03:44 AM

I don't know if it actually made them much of a profit given that development hell is expensive as are the trademarks, advertising, branding and such that went into both games. Signs also point to the dlc being not profitable given that they cancelled the rest of it. Now pocket edition might have made them a good chunk of money given that iirc they released that on lots of platforms that 15 didn't release on.

The director literally said the game more than paid for its development on day 1 and Square Enix had record-high profits and revenue the fiscal year of its launch.

EDIT: It's the fourth best selling Final Fantasy title of all time.

EDIT 2: They cancelled the DLC because: "Square Enix explained that due to a "directional change" within the company, resources from the DLCs were being reassigned to working on a new AAA title."[/size]

AKA The creation of Project Athia and Luminous productions.

#7558 Zenax[zd]   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   709 Posts   Joined 12.0 Years Ago  

Zenax[zd]

Posted 16 September 2020 - 03:48 AM

Nomura worked on both as director (edit).

You do realize that it takes a whole team of people to make a game, yeah? Hence why I said just look up the credits. KH games since 2007 have been done by what at the time was simply referred to as SE Osaka where as FF15 was made by what at the time was Business Division 2 which was located in Tokyo. You can literally just look up the credits and see that the actual game designers, AI designers, systems, art, etc. are different between FF15 and any KH game released since that time. This isn't really a dispute lol, it's just a simple fact anyone can check with a 2 minute google search.

Also Nomura was moved off FF15 back in 2014 anyway, specifically so he could focus on KH 0.2 and then KH3. Tabata was the director for the majority of the actual development. As in past the concept stages and onto actually coding a game.

#7559 shadowysea07   Cjenvy I'm ready for you awd this time I'm wearing pants CAGiversary!   5581 Posts   Joined 7.3 Years Ago  

shadowysea07

Posted 16 September 2020 - 03:51 AM

The director literally said the game more than paid for its development on day 1 and Square Enix had record-high profits and revenue the fiscal year of its launch.

EDIT: It's the fourth best selling Final Fantasy title of all time.

According to this article they don't factor in the ff13vs development costs there just 15's. https://www.technobu...y-on-the-market

And as for square having a good fiscal year that would need to be linked to whatever profits 15 made them otherwise it's pretty irrelevant. I'm not sure costs already spent in the previous what a decades worth? of development are factored in to every fiscal year. I'd also say that it's unlikely for someone to admit that they didn't make enough profit to outweigh the development costs.

#7560 scaryice   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   201 Posts   Joined 9.8 Years Ago  

Posted 16 September 2020 - 04:27 AM

Anyone know if Spelunky 2 will transfer over to the PS5? Tempted to purchase it this week, but would only buy for PS4 if it will transfer.

Spelunky 1 already carried over from PS3 to PS4, so...