SNES Classic back in stock at Kohls

Production supposedly ceased back in December, so I would guess they either found a stash is a warehouse somewhere or acquired overstock from some other company.

Demand is not what it was, but in my area there has been no stock at bestbuy, target, walmart, etc... for months.  Replaced with stock of NES classics.  Not sure where your target is, but only stock appears to be hawaii.  Seems to cost a minimum $120 to order from a 3rd party otherwise.

Looks like all the scalpers got in on it. OOS.
No one is scalping those. They barely sell for more than MSRP. It's likely they barely had any to begin with (seeing as Kohl's isn't a major videogame retailer) and people with Kohl's cash bought it.

You know it's possible people just bought it and it sold out.

No one is scalping those. They barely sell for more than MSRP. It's likely they barely had any to begin with (seeing as Kohl's isn't a major videogame retailer) and people with Kohl's cash bought it.

You know it's possible people just bought it and it sold out.
It was just sarcasm. That said, I'm sure many of us have seen people hoard items thinking they're worth something.

Personally, I hope some idiots bought this thinking they'll make money. LOL.

It was just sarcasm. That said, I'm sure many of us have seen people hoard items thinking they're worth something.

Personally, I hope some idiots bought this thinking they'll make money. LOL.
The scalping of these was real dumb, love that they made more than enough. Having said that though, I bet a boxed one in like 10yrs will be worth a decent amount because Nintendo collectors are a whole different breed. Pretty sure you could claim you have an authentic Satoru Iwata pube and sell it for a couple grand.

The scalping of these was real dumb, love that they made more than enough. Having said that though, I bet a boxed one in like 10yrs will be worth a decent amount because Nintendo collectors are a whole different breed. Pretty sure you could claim you have an authentic Satoru Iwata pube and sell it for a couple grand.
That's presuming Nintendo doesn't release another one of these, which based on how they're handling Online seems more than plausible.

Last edited by a moderator:
If they were thinking clearly, they would have made portable versions of these consoles instead of the Switch Lite. We all know which would have sold like gangbusters vs which will flop hard.

If they were thinking clearly, they would have made portable versions of these consoles instead of the Switch Lite. We all know which would have sold like gangbusters vs which will flop hard.
Agreed. Still very possible if they do in fact make the rumored gameboy classic.

Maybe they are smart and that's what they were planning on doing so they can double dip?

Maybe they are smart and that's what they were planning on doing so they can double dip?
Sadly, I have to say if there's one thing Nintendo is becoming exceptional at, it's exploiting nostalgia and taking as much money as it can from its diehard fanboys/girls. It's certainly one of the main reasons I've started to dislike the company, or at least to think of them as not too different from the rest of the industry.

Last edited by a moderator:
Why haven't they opened up the store to such magic in a bottle then? They are pretty dense, it seems.
They will when things aren't going well, but I'd wager they're gonna do something like a GB Classic, and a GBC Classic first... maybe even a N64 Classic, before they go re-visit re-releasing the NES/SNES classics some how. I feel like if they already released NES/SNES in another form so soon, people wouldn't buy them since they just bought the NES/SNES classics.

Sadly, I have to say if there's one thing Nintendo is becoming exceptional at, it's exploiting nostalgia and taking as much money as it can from its diehard fanboys/girls. It's certainly one of the main reasons I've started to dislike the company, or at least to think of them as not too different from the rest of the industry.

I love mini nes and SNES. I sold all my classic gaming stuff when I bought a house and that allowed me to buy new appliances, fixtures, paint the whole house, etc. I dearly miss all those games and systems so the nes and snes mini were great to me personally because I got to hold the original controller, had a system sitting there that looks like the original and I can play some of those old games as they were very easily. It scratched my nostalgic itch very well and made me not miss my original stuff so much. Because I have so many games to play now that my old games just sat in bins but when I am feeling like I want to revisit a childhood game I can easily for a bit and move on.

But yes Nintendo is very much about just exploiting nostalgia. They have been for a long time now. Everytime they release a new game its Mario, kirby, smash bros, zelda, animal crossing, donkey Kong, etc released for the 100th time. In the case of the switch more than a year all the first party games were re released of Wiiu games except Mario odyssey but it was still yet Mario again. I mean what they do they do very well but 90% of what they do is still based on decades old games. On the rare occasion they do something completely new its arms, splatoon, or some other game that feels like they were just using it as filler till the next mario or zelda release. Or the labo stuff feels like another gimmick or toy they put out that while well done just feels like a gimmick or toy that they will slowly forget about after a year or so when the novelty wears off. Then you have hardware like the 3ds where they have a hit and then spend the next 10 years just gradually giving less like physical games and charging cords with it and releasing it in dozens of color schemes and changing the hardware just enough to warrant not having a price drop.

I like nintendo and all. They have excellent quality and really a unique line of products and way of doing things but i have no love or interest in them anymore. Nintendo used to be a source for excitement for me, but it's all too comfortable, too familiar and too samey for me. It's like nintendo is afraid to not be Nintendo.

It's mainly because (like everything these days) Nintendo is run by old men that don't dare deviate from what has worked in the past. Iwata came in and was deathly afraid to even try to shake things up, so his hands are tied. Their values and systems just make it impossible to break through the wall of monotony. But then again, people and their wallets keep convincing them they're doing it right.

bread's done
Back